Book early? Or on board another cruise?

passy

Hi, my friend and I are thinking of booking a med cruise on Royal in June 2017. At the moment, if we book before the end of August, we can get sale price flights and $90pp onboard credit with a balcony cabin.

I am sailing on regal with my dad in November and know that if I pay the deposit for my next cruise while on board there are often incentives.

Does anyone know which is likely to be the better deal please? And can I pay my friend's deposit on the ship, even though she isn't there, so she can benefit from the incentive too?

Many thanks!

Hi, my friend and I are thinking of booking a med cruise on Royal in June 2017. At the moment, if we book before the end of August, we can get sale price flights and $90pp onboard credit with a balcony cabin.

I am sailing on regal with my dad in November and know that if I pay the deposit for my next cruise while on board there are often incentives.

Does anyone know which is likely to be the better deal please? And can I pay my friend's deposit on the ship, even though she isn't there, so she can benefit from the incentive too?

Many thanks!

You can never know if prices will drop or go up and what promos may appear. If you see a cruise you like book it. Almost all bookings (read the fine print) can changed to take advantage of a promo that may come along.

On board you have two choices. Actually book a cruise with the Cruise Consultant or purchase a future cruise deposit at $100 each charged directly to your credit card.. Future cruise deposits are good for 2 yrs and are fully refundable. If you book on board or use a FCD you receive the $100 deposit benefit plus some OBC's depending on the length of the cruise and the cabin booked. You can not purchase an FCD for a friend that is not on board the ship. You may be able to book a cruise for both of you with only a $100/pp deposit, but I believe that you would be the only one getting the OBC.

Book early, buy one or more Future Cruise Credits when on board for next time. Check the website frequently for price reductions, or other incentives, then call your Princess rep to take advantage of them.

Edited by weedpindle

Many thanks!

We never book a cruise while onboard. Have never found any deals by booking onboard.

We buy the future cruise deposits and book when we get home.

The person taking the cruise must buy their own FCD they are not transferable.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

We never book a cruise while onboard. Have never found any deals by booking onboard.

We buy the future cruise deposits and book when we get home.

The person taking the cruise must buy their own FCD they are not transferable.

We do the same. We always try to have several on hand at any given time. Can you believe we ran out of these?? Never fear, we are going again in a couple of weeks so will pick up some more of these.

I've even had them be very good to me after the fact and add one of these to a booking that is already in place. They are very accommodating!!

We do the same. We always try to have several on hand at any given time. Can you believe we ran out of these?? Never fear, we are going again in a couple of weeks so will pick up some more of these.

I've even had them be very good to me after the fact and add one of these to a booking that is already in place. They are very accommodating!!

I am having issues with a couple of them because of the 2 year expiration.

I know they will extend them with a booked cruise but its just not working out. :(

I would book my desired cruise at a time when reduced price and perks are offered. Hard to know when it will last, nor will it get better.

I am having issues with a couple of them because of the 2 year expiration.

I know they will extend them with a booked cruise but its just not working out. :(

Oh no! Because they are refundable at the expiration date if they cannot be extended, we try to keep several on hand, all with different expiration dates. We live really close to a port so can take advantage of last minute deals.

Oh no! Because they are refundable at the expiration date if they cannot be extended, we try to keep several on hand, all with different expiration dates. We live really close to a port so can take advantage of last minute deals.

The Rocky Mountains are my buffer.

If I lived that close I would be in trouble and onboard a Princess ship several times a month! Or at least try. :eek:

Many thanks!

The only incentives for booking onboard are (1) OBC based on the length of the cruise and the type cabin and (2) a reduced deposit of $100/person.

For example, each passenger on a 10-day cruise in an inside or oceanview cabin would get $25 OBC or in a balcony, mini-suite or suite would get $50 OBC.

Of course if you wait to book then, the deal that currently would get you $90 OBC may or may not exist and the cruise pricing might also not be the same as now. And of course, any flights with EZAir would be at pricing at that time which might be higher or might be lower or might be the same.

And yes, you can make your friend's booking on board and get the appropriate OBC for booking onboard. (What you cannot do is purchase a Future Cruise Certificate in your friend's name as that is only sold to passengers actually on the ship.)

My suggestion is to book now so you can get the cabin(s) you want.

Sometimes we book a future cruise when on a cruise usually for a year out or more. We have decided before boarding what we wanted to book so it is easy. We like to keep at least 2 FCD for each of us at all times. They will be used for a booking that comes up between cruises. We watch the prices and if the price goes down, we call Princess to see if we can get the lower price which is usually the case although sometimes the deposit becomes non-refundable. They always explain the conditions if we choose to change the booking. It is all so so easy and it gives us something to look forward to doing.

Only way to get over the ending of the cruise is to have a followup already on the books!

In the past generally have purchased FBC but now that they only good for 2 years... I either book a cruise or buy a credit, not both. We cruise several lines so 2 years is not long enough on the FBC for us.

On our last cruise we booked a mini suite for a New Years cruise, was given a $500 obc... so was a very good deal. Cruise fare has gone down a bit but we are still ahead.

I have also changed bookings while on board, if I had a cruise booked to hold a fbc, have change the booking to another cruise. You can only do that if you book directly with Princess not through a TA.

Before I go on a cruise I check prices on cruises of interest and then check on what is being offerred on board.

Before I go on a cruise I check prices on cruises of interest and then check on what is being offerred on board.

Booking with Princess on board will be exactly the same as if you booked directly with Princess on land that day.

Edited by caribill

You can never know if prices will drop or go up and what promos may appear. If you see a cruise you like book it. Almost all bookings (read the fine print) can changed to take advantage of a promo that may come along.

On board you have two choices. Actually book a cruise with the Cruise Consultant or purchase a future cruise deposit at $100 each charged directly to your credit card.. Future cruise deposits are good for 2 yrs and are fully refundable. If you book on board or use a FCD you receive the $100 deposit benefit plus some OBC's depending on the length of the cruise and the cabin booked. You can not purchase an FCD for a friend that is not on board the ship. You may be able to book a cruise for both of you with only a $100/pp deposit, but I believe that you would be the only one getting the OBC.

THANK YOU! You've answered the 1 question that was still puzzling me-if I booked my next cruise aboard, I would only pay the $100 as a deposit, and could still purchase a FCD to use for a 2019 cruise.

With very specific access requirements-currently booked in the Handicapped Accessible Window Suite on the Golden Princess, there are very few cruises for 2 or 3 nights that are easy for me to get to the embarkation port. Sydney-Melbourne or vice versa is my best option and I am considering a 2 night cruise, using a FCD for the booking, I realise I will NOT receive OBC, but the smaller deposit would be a big help for me in securing the necessary Window Suite.

Book early, buy one or more Future Cruise Credits when on board for next time. Check the website frequently for price reductions, or other incentives, then call your Princess rep to take advantage of them.

I do this all the time good advice :)

Tony