Dress Code

AC Cruise

Everything I ready says you need to wear dressy clothes at dinner. I'm going to be in a tropical location, I want to wear shorts and a t-shirt. Is the fancy clothing only required in a certain dinning room? Can I get food some other place where it doesn't matter what i'm wearing?

Everything I ready says you need to wear dressy clothes at dinner. I'm going to be in a tropical location, I want to wear shorts and a t-shirt. Is the fancy clothing only required in a certain dinning room? Can I get food some other place where it doesn't matter what i'm wearing?
It depends on what cruise line you are cruising on. Some cruise lines have dress codes and you would not be allowed in the MDR even on casual night in shorts and t-shirt and other cruise lines, who have a more relaxed dress code where you could wear shorts and t-shirt to some of the dining rooms/specialty restaurants and some you could not. Also, all ship have a buffet and for most of them, you could wear shorts and t-shirt.

It depends on what cruise line you are cruising on. Some cruise lines have dress codes and you would not be allowed in the MDR even on casual night in shorts and t-shirt and other cruise lines, who have a more relaxed dress code where you could wear shorts and t-shirt to some of the dining rooms/specialty restaurants and some you could not. Also, all ship have a buffet and for most of them, you could wear shorts and t-shirt.

I've never cruised before. I expect my first will by Carnival.

I've never cruised before. I expect my first will by Carnival.
Looks like the buffet is the only place for shorts and t-shirts. You can wear dress shorts on casual nights in the MDR, but no t-shirts. Here is Carnival's dress code:

WHAT TO WEAR - EVENINGS

Most evenings we have a 'Cruise Casual' dress code but there are those 'Cruise Elegant' evenings one or two nights throughout the voyage where guests will have the opportunity to showcase their more elegant attire.

Lido Restaurant

For those who want casual attire for dinner, the Lido Restaurant is open nightly and has a more relaxed theme. Daytime Attire may be worn.

The Steakhouse

The dress requirements for the Steakhouse follows the dress code specified for the Main Dining Room(s); if the evening is specified as 'Cruise Casual', shorts are not permitted.

Main Dining Room(s)

Following is the dress code in the Main Dining Room(s) for both men and women and pertains to children as well:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts

Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops

Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo

Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Evenings

The length of the cruise determines the number of 'Cruise Elegant' evenings in the Dining Room. The first 'Cruise Elegant' evening is scheduled for the 2nd or 3rd evening of the cruise and the second 'Cruise Elegant' evening is scheduled for the 2nd or 3rd evening prior to the end of the cruise, schedules permitting.

2-day to 5-day cruise: one Cruise Elegant evening

6-day or longer cruise: two Cruise Elegant evenings

Edited by NLH Arizona

Carnival is very casual. They will allow shorts at dinner. NCL has no formal nights, either. Most lines ask for long pants/collared shirt (for men) at dinner. Women are fine in capris, skirt, sundress, etc...

Note to OP: this poster is seldom correct. You would be wise to ignore his/her posts when others, such as NLH Arizona, differ.

Welcome to CruiseCritic.

Edited by CPT Trips

The short answer is that it all depends. It depends on which cruise line you are on, and where you want to eat dinner. I would suggest that for almost every line a pair of khakis, and a golf shirt are more than enough dressing up. Shorts and T shirts are a little bit too casual for the dining rooms, but shorts and a nice shirt often are fine in the dining rooms.

Note to OP: this poster is seldom correct. You would be wise to ignore his/her posts when others, such as NLH Arizona, differ.

Welcome to CruiseCritic.

My sorry, but I believe cb at sea and I said the same thing, you can wear shorts to the MDR on Carnival. They have to be dress shorts and can't be gym or basketball shorts, but men can wear shorts on non-formal nights.

On Vacation I like to dress up and my hubby too... and I'm glad that in some Resturant don't allow shorts and t shirt.... Around the home I'm always in shorts ... We are on vacation is nice to get dress up... [emoji3]

I know some ppl don't like that!!!

So I guess they will be going to the buffet or staying in there cabin...

On Vacation I like to dress up and my hubby too... and I'm glad that in some Resturant don't allow shorts and t shirt.... Around the home I'm always in shorts ... We are on vacation is nice to get dress up... [emoji3]

I know some ppl don't like that!!!

So I guess they will be going to the buffet or staying in there cabin...

What you and your husband like to do has zero with what your fellow cruise passenger likes to do. They and you only need to meet the requirements of the host, and if that host is a Carnival cruise ship then shorts, sandals and a polo shirt are the norm for many.

If we were on a ship together and happened to be assigned the same table for dinner you'd see me walk in with what I described above and a Tommy Bahama style shirt. For Cruise Elegant nights I wear the same with khaki long pants to dinner and change back to shorts for the shows and rest of evening.

I'd suggest for smoother flowing conversation with fellow diners to focus on the view above the table and not where the fabric ends for leg coverings...

Edited by BallFour4

T-shirts may be frowned upon...though I doubt anyone would stop you. You would get some sneering stares from those who think you are ruining their dining experience. I just chalk people like that up as being alive simply because...well, never mind.

On every cruise we have enjoyed we have seen shorts in the MDR...even on formal night. Don't lose any sleep over this area.

T-shirts may be frowned upon...though I doubt anyone would stop you. You would get some sneering stares from those who think you are ruining their dining experience. I just chalk people like that up as being alive simply because...well, never mind.

On every cruise we have enjoyed we have seen shorts in the MDR...even on formal night. Don't lose any sleep over this area.

Nobody gives a damn what you are wearing - some people might wonder why someone would book a cruise on a ship with a dress code and then ignore it, but I doubt that you will see any "sneering stares from those who think you are ruining their dining experience" --- that is just a bit of BS dreamt up by people who feel that rules do not apply to them and hope to discourage anyone from even quietly thinking about what sort of oaf believes he is above complying with requested dress code.

Nobody gives a damn what you are wearing - some people might wonder why someone would book a cruise on a ship with a dress code and then ignore it, but I doubt that you will see any "sneering stares from those who think you are ruining their dining experience" --- that is just a bit of BS dreamt up by people who feel that rules do not apply to them and hope to discourage anyone from even quietly thinking about what sort of oaf believes he is above complying with requested dress code.

Excuse me? Show me where I said what we were wearing.

And you can doubt all you want...I really couldn't care less. I do know for a fact, since she was sitting at our table, there was one self-righteous ninny who stared and commented on three different occasions that she could not believe someone "would wear that" into the dining room. She claimed to be D+ but scoffed at my suggestion that the family might not have gotten their luggage since the first time she turned up her nose was on night one.

For the record, I wear slacks and a polo/golf shirt into the MDR. On previous cruises I wore either a suit or sport coat on formal night. On our upcoming cruise I don't plan on taking a jacket and most certainly will not dine at the buffet on formal night. Anyone who has an issue with my attire can either adapt and enjoy their meal or take a header off the stern...matters not to me which they choose.

While I thank you for your service (unless the first four letters in your ID denote you only like that branch) you a most certainly amoung those that are ASBIIATLTKT (private message me if you want that interpreted).

With the exception of a Cunard cruise none of the popular cruise lines :Carnival,RCI,HAL,NCL ,etc .require fancy clothing .

You can wear jeans and a knit shirt to any MDR

Excuse me? Show me where I said what we were wearing.

While I thank you for your service (unless the first four letters in your ID denote you only like that branch) you a most certainly amoung those that are ASBIIATLTKT (private message me if you want that interpreted).

You might read posts before starting to argue about them. I said nothing about WHAT you were wearing -- only that no one gave a damn about it.

I have no interest whatsoever in pursuing an interpretation of your "private message" , although I am sure it must strike you as being clever.