Passing the Statue of Liberty

Verde Man

We are scheduled to sail out of the Manhattan Cruise terminal at 4pm.

How long does it take to get to and pass the Statue of Liberty.

We have 6pm reservations for the stake house, but I do not want to miss sailing past the statue.

This is what I would do. I'd lay out my clothes for the evening. Just in case there's a delay. Go up on deck, enjoy the view. Take your time. They don't lock the door to the steak house at 6:05. No worries, your on a cruise.And the skyline,the statue and harbor is a pretty awesome site.

It's not just the SOL, there will be numerous things to see on both sides of the ship in the first hour. Slightly past the Verrazano, look for Coney Island.

Not knowing anything about what we will see, could someone tell me if Ellis Island also visible.

Cole

:)

You will pass Ellis Island before the Statue of Liberty sailing south down the river. http://www.thinkstockphotos.com/image/stock-photo-ellis-island-in-new-york-with-river-and/502636618

Thank you so much. 14 of our family members will be on the cruise and I like to provide them with all of the information I can gather.

Cole

I have an additional Lady Liberty question. We are most likely docking in Brooklyn-Red Hook. Can the Statue of Liberty be seen from that point? I'm looking at a map and it looks like a straight shot! Of course nothing can beat sailing by, but if we can see it while the ship is docked, that opens up more and more photography opportunities. :D

It's not just the SOL, there will be numerous things to see on both sides of the ship in the first hour. Slightly past the Verrazano, look for Coney Island.
Completely agree. On the Manhattan side you'll see the Empire State Building, the Freedom Tower (I know that's not the real name but I can't use WTC), the Chelsea Piers sports complex, and can look up the East River to the Brooklyn Bridge. On the Jersey side, you will see the old railroad ferry terminals, Ellis Island, and the Statue of Liberty. Lots of boat traffic as well. Of all my cruises, New York is my favorite sailaway.

I also agree with idraconis' suggestion to have your dinner clothes ready. Most of our cruises out of New York did not sail on time. You should be okay with a 4:00 sailaway and 6:00 dinner though.

FIW - I put this information together for my sister who was cruising out of NYC a few years ago.

If you are leaving from the NY passenger ship terminal (on 12th Avenue, Manhattan) then there is a lot to see as you sail down the Hudson River, into NY Harbor and beyond.

There is so much to see and history that I could not list it all, but here are some highlights.

Since the passenger ship terminal is in mid-town, you will experience:

Aft and north - while at the dock:

Hudson River - first submerged vessel used in the Hudson River during the Revolutionary War - "The Turtle";

Palisades of NJ - played an strategic roll in the American Revolution and the location of the famous Burr-Hamilton Duel;

George Washington Bridge

Port (sailing south)

The skyline of NYC (Chrysler Building, Empire State Building, etc);

The Intrepid Museum (just south of the cruise terminal);

Lincoln and Holland Tunnel vents (look like odd, almost H shaped buildings on either side of the river);

Jacob Javits Convention Center (an I.M.Pei building);

The "Frying Pan" complex (the Frying Pan Lightship and barge turned eclectic free hangout/outdoor bar (bar not free) - a fabulous place which a friend of ours owns;

Battery Park City;

The Freedom Tower;

Staten Island Ferry Terminal;

East River;

Looking up East River - Brooklyn Bridge;

Governor’s Island;

Brooklyn;

Verrazano Narrows Bridge

Fort Hamilton - This location was used as a strategic site as early as the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. Fort built on 1825

Starboard

Hoboken - Frank Sinatra, Cake Boss - Buddy Valastro/Carlo's Bakery;

Hoboken - Lackawanna Old Train/Ferry Terminal now used by Carlo's Bakery as their new production bakery;

Hoboken - Old Bethlem Steel Ship Yard now premium condos;

Jersey City - Colgate Clock;

Jersey City Skyline;

Statue of Liberty;

Ellis Island;

Liberty State Park;

Staten Island;

Fort Wadsworth (similar history to that of Fort Hamilton)

In the Atlantic:

Coney Island on port

Ambrose Light Tower

Sandy Hook, NJ on starboard

Twin Lights (light house in Sandy Hook)

FIW - I put this information together for my sister who was cruising out of NYC a few years ago.

If you are leaving from the NY passenger ship terminal (on 12th Avenue, Manhattan) then there is a lot to see as you sail down the Hudson River, into NY Harbor and beyond.

There is so much to see and history that I could not list it all, but here are some highlights.

Since the passenger ship terminal is in mid-town, you will experience:

Aft and north - while at the dock:

Hudson River - first submerged vessel used in the Hudson River during the Revolutionary War - "The Turtle";

Palisades of NJ - played an strategic roll in the American Revolution and the location of the famous Burr-Hamilton Duel;

George Washington Bridge

Port (sailing south)

The skyline of NYC (Chrysler Building, Empire State Building, etc);

The Intrepid Museum (just south of the cruise terminal);

Lincoln and Holland Tunnel vents (look like odd, almost H shaped buildings on either side of the river);

Jacob Javits Convention Center (an I.M.Pei building);

The "Frying Pan" complex (the Frying Pan Lightship and barge turned eclectic free hangout/outdoor bar (bar not free) - a fabulous place which a friend of ours owns;

Battery Park City;

The Freedom Tower;

East River;

Looking up East River - Brooklyn Bridge;

Governor’s Island;

Brooklyn;

Verrazano Narrows Bridge

Fort Hamilton - This location was used as a strategic site as early as the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. Fort built on 1825

Starboard

Hoboken - Frank Sinatra, Cake Boss - Buddy Valastro/Carlo's Bakery;

Hoboken - Lackawanna Old Train/Ferry Terminal now used by Carlo's Bakery as their new production bakery;

Hoboken - Old Bethlem Steel Ship Yard now premium condos;

Jersey City - Colgate Clock;

Jersey City Skyline;

Statue of Liberty;

Ellis Island;

Liberty State Park;

Staten Island;

Fort Wadsworth (similar history to that of Fort Hamilton)

In the Atlantic:

Coney Island on port

Ambrose Light Tower

Sandy Hook, NJ on starboard

Twin Lights (light house in Sandy Hook)

Hi DonMar,

We sail out of Red Hook. Do you have a list like this for us? Would love to know what we are seeing. Have never been to NYC and am looking forward to it! Thank you in advance if you do have this. :)

Julie

Hi DonMar,

We sail out of Red Hook. Do you have a list like this for us? Would love to know what we are seeing. Have never been to NYC and am looking forward to it! Thank you in advance if you do have this. :)

Julie

Sailing out of Brooklyn, everything listed on the port side will be on the starboard side, but you won't see the Intrepid museum or the tunnels. And you will pass under the Verrazano Narrows bridge (all ships do). Things will be farther away, and you don't really pass the Statue of Liberty.

Edited by chengkp75

• 2 weeks later...
We will be sailing out of Manhattan (?) on the Breakaway on the 26th December. Scheduled time is 3pm. Will it be too dark to see anything?

No. It starts getting dark maybe 4:30. But everything is illuminated so gorgeous if it's dark that would be a positive thing. Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No. It starts getting dark maybe 4:30. But everything is illuminated so gorgeous if it's dark that would be a positive thing. Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm thinking the same thing. You might get to see NYC lit up at twilight.

There's a major negative with a winter departure from Manhattan in the late afternoon. The setting sun can interfere with your viewing the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and anything else on the starboard (New Jersey) side of the ship .

Edited by njhorseman

There's a major negative with a winter departure from Manhattan in the late afternoon. The setting sun can interfere with your viewing the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and anything else on the starboard (New Jersey) side of the ship .

Sunset is 5:48PM on Nov 5th, 2016 the day we sail out of New York on the Disney Magic.

We should have some twilight when we sail past the Statue of Liberty, and under the bridges. Clocks will change the evening that we sail...We done this route before and it is cool to sail close to the Statue.

wrt to Red Hook

here's a sample trackline of a QM2 arrival .... what looks like they did a donut is how the trackline sees the ship turning about to back into the pier ...

you see how close you come to SOL

QM%20track_zpsws4appnz.jpg

seen from our balcony on a morning with haze and drizzle .. not quite at the dock yet, but we had turned and were backing (our room was starboard side)

IMG_0410_zpstek8jbyl.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ

wrt to Red Hook

here's a sample trackline of a QM2 arrival .... what looks like they did a donut is how the trackline sees the ship turning about to back into the pier ...

you see how close you come to SOL

QM%20track_zpsws4appnz.jpg

seen from our balcony on a morning with haze and drizzle .. not quite at the dock yet, but we had turned and were backing (our room was starboard side)

IMG_0410_zpstek8jbyl.jpg

Thank you for this! I can't wait to see her. :)

Thank you for this! I can't wait to see her. :)

Don't forget to look aft at the City (Manhattan) with the lights on the buildings starting to twinkle.

Okay these are from December from NCL which leaves MCT but you get the idea. (And you can tell when by the Freedom Tower incompleteness) Sorry was rushing the SOL shot. Sailing from MCT you are a little closer to the SOL on the other side of Governors Island.

1526753_718531991492684_280568310_n.jpg

1486908_718532011492682_998349362_n.jpg