On Riviera.Want my opinion on speciality restaurants?

janecambridge

Just wondered if anyone wanted my opinion on the speciality restaurants as we use them? Have done Red Ginger and Polo Grill and about to try Jacques.I realise it is my individual opinion but there will be a few facts thrown in too!!

Go for it...I always like hearing people's thoughts. And, I like learning about specific menu items I might be overlooking.

Just wondered if anyone wanted my opinion on the speciality restaurants as we use them? Have done Red Ginger and Polo Grill and about to try Jacques.I realise it is my individual opinion but there will be a few facts thrown in too!!

NO..... I do NOT

Hello all,

Brand new to the Oceania board. DH and I have sailed on Celebrity several times and are trying a 7 day this coming February on Oceania. Any and all reviews are MUCH appreciated! I know it's your opinion, but still, I love reading reviews, and if they include food photos...yum!

Thank you,

NO..... I do NOT

Really? I hope you're joking.

I'm always interested in others point of view on the restaurants. I find it amazing that people can experience the same exact thing and have opposing opinions. I never understand why others don't see it just like me. ;)

I'm always interested in others point of view on the restaurants. I find it amazing that people can experience the same exact thing and have opposing opinions. I never understand why others don't see it just like me. ;)

No joke. We have been on the "O" ships enough times that we do not need any other opinions to know what we like. WE love all of them and if one time it is not so great we know that the next time it will be wonderful again so I say again we do not need any other opinions to tell us what we should do. The question was do I want an opinion and again I say NO.

Edited by RJB

No joke. We have been on the "O" ships enough times that we do not need any other opinions to know what we like. WE love all of them and if one time it is not so great we know that the next time it will be wonderful again so I say again we do not need any other opinions to tell us what we should do. The question was do I want an opinion and again I say NO.

There are others who may be new to Oceania who might be interested in hearing people's thoughts and opinions.

If your not interested, then why post at all - why not just skip this post instead of posting something negative.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are others who may be new to Oceania who might be interested in hearing people's thoughts and opinions.

If your not interested, then why post at all - why not just skip this post instead of posting something negative.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Newbie to Oceania here. Looking forward to reading reviews and seeing pics. I suppose, however, that asking if people want a review instead of just posting one anyway is asking for...a little dissension maybe?

Looks like most people are interested apart from yourselves. No offence meant but if you are not interested in the opinions and reviews of others, you are not forced to read them.

Not everyone is as fortunate as you to cruise on Oceania so many times.

Others who have may still like to listen to views of other passengers. We cannot just think of ourselves but we need to think of other people too. Would you not agree? It's very easy to forget that, happens to me too sometimes and I need to remind myself.

If everyone were to follow you and not make any reviews, this discussion board would be as quiet as a ghost town ! And that is not what many of us want. We want to share views and experience of our cruises here.

Actually, the moderators of this discussion board even encourage people to write their reviews after their cruise - did you not see that near the top left of this window? It usually says something like " (Username) just back from your cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review! "

To Janecambridge, I certainly would STRONGLY ENCOURAGE you to send if your review as many of us would be interested in your experience. THAT IS PARTLY, IF NOT MAINLY, WHAT THIS DISCUSSION BOARD IS FOR. So my answer to your question is YES, YES, YES !!!!

Edited by Cahpek

RJB,

Then just don't read the thread. That would seem simple enough.

Actually, in a way I'm in your boat: I've been on enough Oceania cruises that I know what I think of the various restaurants. But we have newbies here every day and most of them would be interested ... even on such a subjective topic as food.

Mura

Cruising for the first time this coming February on Oceania, and would love to read your reviews on the different dining venues! Photos would also be welcomed. Even after 100+ cruises on other lines I am counting down my days to my sailing, and reading menus! Please post your experiences.

If someone is not interested they can easily skip to another subject!

We have cruised Oceania twice are looking forward to your review. IMO, it is important to realize how subjective food is. I once read a review where a couple shared a steak....... one loved it and the other didn't ....... go figure.

For us, we loved the specialty restaurants on the Riviera, only had one meal in the main restaurant and tried to avoid the Terrace Café (Most Oceania cruisers love it because of the lobster, sushi, etc. We felt that the quality wasn't there).

Jane, we'd love to read your reviews on the Oceania Specialty Restaurants. I certainly hope RJB hasn't dissuaded you from posting your comments.

RJB, Cruise Critic is about sharing experiences with other cruisers; what were you thinking when you posted your response to Jane?:confused::eek::mad: Sorry, but I am a very seasoned cruiser and your post was off putting.

Edited by Oville

I'm with RJB. OP provided no context for their expertise or experience. What on land do they think is a great restaurant would be helpful to put things in perspective. Even just a preliminary paragraph about "...we normally find the food at ...... in NYC ... or SF.... to be ......" would help set the stage.

As decent as O's food is, I have to chuckle when I read someone's comment that "it was the best meal I've ever had."

I'm with RJB. OP provided no context for their expertise or experience. What on land do they think is a great restaurant would be helpful to put things in perspective. Even just a preliminary paragraph about "...we normally find the food at ...... in NYC ... or SF.... to be ......" would help set the stage.

As decent as O's food is, I have to chuckle when I read someone's comment that "it was the best meal I've ever had."

As I said above, Cruise Critic is about sharing experiences onboard. Why ever would you not want someone to give an opinion? And what the....has NYC, SF or any other city have to do with dinner on O. I certainly don't expect O to compete with trendy restaurants in major US cities or other cities around the globe.

Again Jane, most of us look forward to your review, apparently a couple do not.

Edited by Oville

Good morning from sunny Greece.

Thanks for all your responses.As we are in Europe,I have been asleep all night whilst you have been posting.

I am writing for people who are interested and as I said it's not just a personal opinion but a few facts too.

Red Ginger: booked the first night.My husband was not that keen to go,didn't see much he fancied,but we heard great things beforehand.When we arrived,we had a quiet table for two.Seats are quite low and I am not tall,by any means,so table a little high.Quite gloomy...welcoming staff..We had the platter for two to start.Sushi was good,all meat skewers were beautifully cooked,tender..lovely sauces.excellent start.hubby smiling now! We then had duck and melon salad and hubby had prawns.Again all well cooked and beautifully served..main courses were the sea bass that everyone raves about.it was beautifully cooked,white,fluffy and a sweet miso topping,with brown rice..

No dessert.Speciality tea was too sweet.Probably had sugar added.

All in all a very good evening.All staff were helpful,attentive and smiling...

Would definitely go back and may well have it in our cabin one evening.

Very rarely do I come away from a restaurant and say I enjoyed the lot.But I did and so did my husband..Great start to the cruise..

Second night,second restaurant.

Polo Grill.

Looking forward to this one.

Another poorly lit room,bit dull,Table for two by window.

Nice welcome.

I had starter of Rockefeller oysters,3 shells,only 1 oyster!When waiter came to table to take plate and ask if everything was alright,he laughed when I explained I only had one oyster!,husband had prawns.He said it was tasty but no finger bowl to clean fingers.

Next I had ribeye.I wanted the queen steak but none left.Not a problem until the table next to us arrived and ordered queen steak! Waiter ( same as ours) checked with kitchen who said they had some....My steak was beautifully cooked,medium rare and seasoned well to my liking...I had garlic mash and mushrooms.Garlic mash was purée,mushrooms were tasty but just a bowl of chopped up mushrooms.I ordered a sauce that was not creamy.Waiter suggested peppercorn which I mentioned is usually creamy.He assured me it wasn't...well it was!!Husband had a steak that was also delicious..

Overall a poor experience.When mains were put on table it all looked so unappetising.nothing had garnish on it,except the steak which had a half a tomato..just a steak,with a bowl of purée and a dozen chopped up mushrooms.

Seems very much understaffed..

Would not return sadly..

Edited by janecambridge

Third night,third restaurant.

Jacques.

Once we looked at the menu during the day,we decided we couldn't see much we wanted,so asked to cancel and book Toscana.That was impossible at the last minute.

Arrived in Jacques to an extremely warm welcome,from everyone.Attentive and smiling.Lovely table for two,again next to window..

Bread and rolls, very fresh.I had a very good cheese soufflé and hubby had a small version of a mains dish,yes prawns,with extra garlic.That was not a problem to order.Both really nice.Mains were iberico pork chop with an amazingly tasting seasoning.served with dauphinois Potaoes.A freshly grilled Apple on the side and a mustard sauce.Hubby had the lamb,served as he ordered,medium,and a cauliflower cheese side.All delicious...I had Mille feuille,but way too much thick pastry..hubby had cheese from the cheese trolley.The sommelier was very busy and seemed to have too many tables,that was the only downfall.

We loved our meal here and the staff,which were plentiful.A very good restaurant experience for us.

The last restaurant is a few days away now so will report back then.

I realise there will be some people who don't want to read more reviews of the ship,but the thread header,gives clue as to what it is about and therefore they can skip this thread.I know I have learnt so much from these threads before I came on my first Oceania cruise.I hope this is of help to those who are about to embark on their first Oceania cruise.

As I said above, Cruise Critic is about sharing experiences onboard. Why ever would you not want someone to give an opinion? And what the....has NYC, SF or any other city have to do with dinner on O. I certainly don't expect O to compete with trendy restaurants in major US cities or other cities around the globe.

Again Jane, most of us look forward to your review, apparently a couple do not.

"Context" is why a poster might preface their review with a comparison to a land based restaurant that would better inform O's usually food savvy patrons. For example: "I loved the steak. Reminded me of Peter Luger's" is not the same as "I loved the steak - Reminded me of Appleby's." As we all know, food evaluations can be very subjective. Context grounds them.

...Polo Grill...Looking forward to this one... I had starter of Rockefeller oysters, 3 shells, only 1 oyster! When waiter came to table to take plate and ask if everything was alright, he laughed when I explained I only had one oyster!...

Next I had ribeye. I wanted the queen steak but none left. Not a problem until the table next to us arrived and ordered queen steak! Waiter ( same as ours) checked with kitchen who said they had some...

I ordered a sauce that was not creamy. Waiter suggested peppercorn which I mentioned is usually creamy. He assured me it wasn't...well it was!! Husband had a steak that was also delicious...

Your waiter seems to have been the prime culprit in three majors blunders during your meal at Polo. Since you were looking forward to this cuisine -- in contrast to not looking forward to the food in Red Ginger and Jacques -- I suggest you try eating in Polo again and insist on a different waiter.

Yes, the missing oysters were the fault of the kitchen, but having a waiter laugh about this is unexcusable. As for the steak and the peppercorn sauce mistakes, your particular waiter clearly does not know the dishes coming out of the kitchen and doesn't know he doesn't know.

I'll gently recommend that when you doubt the waiter's advice about anything, you suggest he go back to the kitchen and ask. At the very least, you could have ordered defensively and asked that peppercorn sauce be served in a small dish on the side. That way, the meat itself wouldn't have been ruined and you could have tried again.

As for the missing finger bowl incident, I'll gently suggest you/your husband speak up for yourself. My husband has never asked for a finger bowl in the same circumstances, but he has asked for a dampened cloth. I can't recall whether the napkin was accompanied by a wedge of lemon or not but it accomplished the job.

Of course, the customer shouldn't have to be doing a portion of the waiter's job, but, when left with a choice of speaking up and solving problems or staying silent and feeling put upon, I always vote for the first option.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

RJB,

Does this mean that we all should ignore all your posts as well?

We all have our own opinions on most subjects discussed on these boards - why should we be interested in anything you have to say - we already know what we know? :D

As others have said, if you are truly not interested in Jane's opinion, just ignore the whole thread. No need to post anything. I don't post on issues and threads that do not interest me or I have nothing to contribute to. My silence indicated that "I am not interested"

Jane - thank you for taking the time to post.

I find it interesting that the 2 restaurants (RG & Jacques) that you were not particularly looking forward to - in fact almost cancelled J's - turned out to be above your expectations and the one you thought you'd like didn't.

Let's hear what you experience in Toscana was like.

Edited by Paulchili