Three Person Cabin Required to Bring Infant?

Jetsgo

We have our eyes on Ruby Princess sailing out of Long Beach on December 22 and would be bringing our seven month old daughter. I understand this is relatively last minute and being a holiday cruise, cabin availability is limited. When searching online for two people, there are several rooms in each category available. When we bump it up to three people, suddenly the whole cruise is sold out.

Do we really need a three person cabin to bring our daughter? Regardless of cabin type and occupancy rating, it would seem we would simply have a king bed and crib...

We have our eyes on Ruby Princess sailing out of Long Beach on December 22 and would be bringing our seven month old daughter. I understand this is relatively last minute and being a holiday cruise, cabin availability is limited. When searching online for two people, there are several rooms in each category available. When we bump it up to three people, suddenly the whole cruise is sold out.

Do we really need a three person cabin to bring our daughter? Regardless of cabin type and occupancy rating, it would seem we would simply have a king bed and crib...

Yes, you do. A person is a person, no matter how small. It has to do with things like lifeboat capacity and so forth. Someone with a better grasp of maritime law can explain it better than I can.

Cabins for 3 people means there is a bed that comes down from the ceiling for the 3rd person. I've seen travel cribs in mini-suites but I don't know about having them in other types of cabins. You should call Princess and ask.

Yes a body is a body onboard regardless of age and must have a corresponding berth in the cabin.

Better call Princess asap and get on a waiting list for a triple cabin.

Princess ships are "capacity controlled" with only as many spaces available as there are seats in lifeboats. Whether a cabin can accommodate a third person, even a baby, is moot if the capacity for that cabin's lifeboat has been reached. Book your baby ASAP!!!

Princess ships are "capacity controlled" with only as many spaces available as there are seats in lifeboats. Whether a cabin can accommodate a third person, even a baby, is moot if the capacity for that cabin's lifeboat has been reached. Book your baby ASAP!!!

I agree that the ships are capacity-controlled.

I have never heard that each cabin is allocated to a particular lifeboat. From what I have seen, passengers from cabins in a particular area of the ship are allocated to one of the three or so muster stations. Cruise cards are scanned to confirm their attendance. On a drill I observed, people in the muster station were to be taken to their lifeboat. They were led out in a line (with no reference to which cabin number), with a paddle-pop type sign held every 50 people. The relevant number stood in front of each lifeboat. By the way, on this drill, crew took the place of passengers.

Edited by Aus Traveller

I agree that the ships are capacity-controlled.

I have never heard that each cabin is allocated to a particular lifeboat. From what I have seen, passengers from cabins in a particular area of the ship are allocated to one of the three or so muster stations. Cruise cards are scanned to confirm their attendance. On a drill I observed, people in the muster station were to be taken to their lifeboat. They were led out in a line (with no reference to which cabin number), with a paddle-pop type sign held every 50 people. The relevant number stood in front of each lifeboat. By the way, on this drill, crew took the place of passengers.

Seats in lifeboats, not a particular lifeboat.

Yes a body is a body onboard regardless of age and must have a corresponding berth in the cabin.

Better call Princess asap and get on a waiting list for a triple cabin.

Thanks for the quick feedback. Unfortunately, I just sat on hold for 30 minutes waiting for someone at Princess to help before having to hang up. Will try again tomorrow.

This is totally off subject but how many of you remember a couple of years ago a poster came on and was pissed that they had to pay for their baby. Her husband had researched the who situation and fare and decided that they just wouldn't tell the cruise line about the baby. When they embarked they would just declare then that they had a baby. They figure if they did it that way they wouldn't have to pay for the baby. When she got slammed she got upset because she said she was a novice. A novice that knew almost six months in advance that there was a charge for the baby and yet decided to just sneak him on board anyway.

Not a happy ending for her, DH and baby. They lost their fare too.

Thanks for the quick feedback. Unfortunately, I just sat on hold for 30 minutes waiting for someone at Princess to help before having to hang up. Will try again tomorrow.

They are not staffed well on weekends.

This is totally off subject but how many of you remember a couple of years ago a poster came on and was pissed that they had to pay for their baby. Her husband had researched the who situation and fare and decided that they just wouldn't tell the cruise line about the baby. When they embarked they would just declare then that they had a baby. They figure if they did it that way they wouldn't have to pay for the baby. When she got slammed she got upset because she said she was a novice. A novice that knew almost six months in advance that there was a charge for the baby and yet decided to just sneak him on board anyway.

Poor baby. Is that sort of the opposite of Lucy trying to smuggle a cheese on the plane disguised as a baby? :D

They obviously never thought this one through, they should of put the baby in there luggage, next to the liquor and checked them all in

Seats in lifeboats, not a particular lifeboat.

I was responding to the comment:

(quote) if the capacity for that cabin's lifeboat has been reached.

and pointing out the way passengers are allocated to particular lifeboats.

Each ship has a limit of the total number of people permitted to be on board and that includes crew. This number is not the number of seats in lifeboats, because there is always over-capacity of life-boat seats.

Yes, you need a three person cabin even if your daughter will share your bed.

I was responding to the comment:

(quote) if the capacity for that cabin's lifeboat has been reached.

and pointing out the way passengers are allocated to particular lifeboats.

Each ship has a limit of the total number of people permitted to be on board and that includes crew. This number is not the number of seats in lifeboats, because there is always over-capacity of life-boat seats.

What I was getting at is Pam never said they were allocated to a particular lifeboat.

I would contact a Travel Agent to see what they can come up with. I noticed on the Princess web site it states 3 & 4 passenger cabins are sold out. I also see, as one example, that cabin P308 which can handle 3 is still available. Some mini suites are also available and all mini suites can handle a 3rd person. There may be other cabins around the ship.

This will be a very busy holiday cruise with lots of cabins that have more than 2 passengers, and lots of youth on board. It is possible that the ship has reached it's extra berth capacity, but if you really want to go on this cruise suggest you have a T.A. check further.

Poor baby. Is that sort of the opposite of Lucy trying to smuggle a cheese on the plane disguised as a baby? :D

Thank God I am not alone. That was the first thing I thought of, too. Then I imagined threads on how to sneak a baby on board and discussion of coolers and packing tape and labels...

To the OP: Your baby counts as part of the cabin's occupancy. The fact that she will never actually sit in a seat in a lifeboat does not matter. If that is your question to Princess, you can save yourself some wait time. However, they might be very helpful in trying to accommodate you on that same cruise or a different one. They just won't tell you it's acceptable to have two adults and a baby in a cabin with an occupancy of two.

It won't matter if you go to the pier in Long Beach because you'll miss the boat anyway. Princess sails out of San Pedro.

Not sure on all the details but being in the same 'boat' as you, we have a mini-suite with a crib on our ship. I don't even know the logistics of it all but we went through a local TA.

Yes, we are paying fees for her. Not sure if its 100% fees or not offhand, but it probably is. I guess the 'extra' fees she pays will be made up in the mess she'll probably make at every meal :p

At least the flights are free for the tadpole.

Edited by greenfroggie

Just to clarify, the way the software is set up is there are blocks that correspond to the muster stations, in general. Each of those blocks on each ship has a total capacity (not directly related to lifeboat capacity at that station more on logistical flow, etc). Each block consists of 2 people per cabin in that block plus a certain number of additional passengers. Once the additional pax count is reached for a block, bookings of 3 or more will not be permitted by the system, even if the open cabins can support them (which is why you see cabins 'vanish' when booking for more than 2.

At least back when I worked on it, reps could look for things like solo travelers in the block and override, but there have been systemic changes since then.

So, for example, even though most if not all minis can sleep three it doesn't mean they will be allowed to book 3, especially closer to sailing as the ship fills.

It won't matter if you go to the pier in Long Beach because you'll miss the boat anyway. Princess sails out of San Pedro.

Was just about to post this.

Carnival home ports in Long Beach. Other CCL Corp cruise ships will visit here.

Everyone else home ports in San Pedro. On extremely rare occasions will Carnival sail out of San Pedro.

The ports are about 7 miles, approx $20 can ride.

You're not choosing a cabin, you're buying life boat space. Every soul needs a space on the lifeboat.

Edited by SadieN

Try using a travel agent.