Formal nights

Valentine's Mom

We are new to Princess and wondering if formal nigh dress codes are enforced? We are very hopeful! Thanks

The answer is no. Dress codes are mostly not enforced, not anymore. You do need shoes and such but no shorts or bathing suits etc. As long as the private parts are mostly covered you are good to go !

To be fair though, on formal nights most passengers do dress up like they are supposed to. Personally I hate the whole concept, I can get away with dockers pants, boat shoes, and a golf shirt paired with a sports coat.

Celebrity cruises now does it right. They moved away from formal nights to "Evening Chic" nights.

Edited by jasmith52

The "Guidelines" are not strictly followed anymore. Despite some people insisting others strictly adhere t them Princess allows variances to them. Men can get by eith a long sleeve shirt and a tie and women can get by with any nice outfit that would be worn to a fancy occassion. I oetsonnally only war dress pants, long sleeve shirt and tie. I have never been turned away from the MDR on formal night.

Well, I always dress up for formal nights, as do plenty of other people. I love to see all the smart dresses and watch people having their pictures taken. I've never seen anyone underdressed in the MDR.

The formal night dress code on Princess only applies to the main dining rooms (traditional seating or anytime dining).

And enforcement is scattershot: no man will be turned away for wearing only one of jacket or tie. Or neither as long as he is in a neat "dressy" shirt. For ladies, any top and bottom can be called an "outfit" and considered dressier than casual.

The rest of your evening of course you will encounter the entire spectrum of dress in all other public areas of the ship. But no one will look down on you, or care, or even cast a second glance if you choose to remain in your formal wear until retiring. Even the most "homey" itineraries (say, a seven day Caribbean cruise during peak school vacation) there will be sufficient others in tuxedo or dark suit and gown or cocktail dress.

Enforced? No. But many, many passengers do look forward to the Formal evenings and dress up for the occasion. You will absolutely see tuxedos, dark suits, blazers with ties, kilts, military attire, gowns, long dresses, mid-length dresses and sparkly pant suits. The fact that some people will chime in here with stories of the minimum acceptable attire that is allowed in the Main Dining Rooms is no reason to believe that such attire is the norm or the majority. In our experiences, the majority of guests are dressed in a manner that falls below the published "Please observe" dress code, but still look very, very nice. While long pants and an open collared shirt might get one into the MDRs, that is by no means what the typical attire looks like on formal nights. If you enjoy dressing for the occasion, you will certainly fit right in.

Welcome to Princess. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

My wife HATES formal nights (dressing up) however after we get pics back from formal night my wife is like wow I love this pic of us. I on the other hand LOVE formal nights it's my favorite part of the cruise. Since I wear the pants, we do what I say....LoL:eek:.

Well, I always dress up for formal nights, as do plenty of other people. I love to see all the smart dresses and watch people having their pictures taken. I've never seen anyone underdressed in the MDR.

I have even seen though tux t-shirts in the MDR on formal night

You'll see everything from true formal wear to dockers and polo shirts. I fall somewhere in between: dress slacks and shirt with jacket, sometimes a tie. I've never seen anybody turned away but I've never seen anybody dressed inappropriately either.

Enforced? No. But many, many passengers do look forward to the Formal evenings and dress up for the occasion. You will absolutely see tuxedos, dark suits, blazers with ties, kilts, military attire, gowns, long dresses, mid-length dresses and sparkly pant suits. The fact that some people will chime in here with stories of the minimum acceptable attire that is allowed in the Main Dining Rooms is no reason to believe that such attire is the norm or the majority. In our experiences, the majority of guests are dressed in a manner that falls below the published "Please observe" dress code, but still look very, very nice. While long pants and an open collared shirt might get one into the MDRs, that is by no means what the typical attire looks like on formal nights. If you enjoy dressing for the occasion, you will certainly fit right in.

Welcome to Princess. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

No one said it was the norm or in the majority. Just that it is acceptable by Princess and permitted. Unfortunately it says " Please observe the Guidelines.."

We are new to Princess and wondering if formal nigh dress codes are enforced? We are very hopeful! Thanks

As stated many passengers enjoy dressing up.

There are guidelines and for the most part and despite what the 8 people here on CC say they are followed.

Hope you enjoy your cruise

I noticed on our Japan cruise that the Japanese tend to dress for dinner a little more and really dress up for formal night - everything from cocktail dresses to actual formal kimono. How they pack all that into those little cases they bring is still a mystery to me.

My Dad does not dress up so he wore a black polo shirt with black pants and shoes and was just fine. The rest of us did more casual formal (heels instead of flats and dresses instead of pants).

We did see some men come to dinner in regular casual clothes (long pants but t-shirt) and were seated no problem. We were in a MDR late service.

Bottom line - agree if you stay away from too casual, shorts, t-shirt, and slippers - you should be fine. (I wore pants and t-shirt with slippers some casual nights and still felt underdressed but was not turned away).

As stated many passengers enjoy dressing up.

There are guidelines and for the most part and despite what the 8 people here on CC say they are followed.

Hope you enjoy your cruise

Are we going to take roll? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've never seen anyone under-dressed in the MDR.

You make a joke LOL :rolleyes:

I was on a 17 day cruise and there was one man who came to the MDR every night wearing jeans with suspenders and a t-shirt.

I've seen at least one person in the MDR on "formal" night on every cruise I've taken (18 & counting) wearing non-formal clothes. Usually men, but women, too.

I loved this quote from a recent review:

Crown Princess 8/13 - 8/20/16 to Alaska

Dress for dinner: Most of the people I saw on formal night were dressed in suits (some tuxes) for men and sparkly tops/dresses for the ladies. Not as informal as I'd seen reflected on the boards.

This is from a passenger, who cruised to Alaska, just this month. The same Alaska, where others have said that very few passengers dress up for formal nights. :rolleyes:

The dress code is not enforced, neither for men or women. As a reminder, this is what the Princess site says about formal night:

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

+ Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women

+ Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

My experience is that a majority of men are wearing a jacket and, for the most part, a tie. There are usually quite a few women in pants instead of dresses.

The answer is no. Dress codes are mostly not enforced, not anymore. You do need shoes and such but no shorts or bathing suits etc. As long as the private parts are mostly covered you are good to go !

To be fair though, on formal nights most passengers do dress up like they are supposed to. Personally I hate the whole concept, I can get away with dockers pants, boat shoes, and a golf shirt paired with a sports coat.

Celebrity cruises now does it right. They moved away from formal nights to "Evening Chic" nights.

NCL is the one that does it right...freestyle. Still no shorts/tee shirts but jeans and a polo are ok. And no formal nights.

No one said it was the norm or in the majority. Just that it is acceptable by Princess and permitted. Unfortunately it says " Please observe the Guidelines.."

???

Not to get too circular here, but I never said that anyone else said that "it", ( which I take to mean not following the "Please observe" statement) was the norm or the majority. What I said was, don't let comments on the minimum acceptable level lead you to believe that "it" is the norm or majority.