TEN (10) Ships in port in Cozumel??

demcpita

:eek: Just saw a thread where someone was asking about 7 ships in port in Cozumel so it got me curious. Cruisetimetables.com is showing 10 ships when we are there, with several BIG ships. Should I be concerned? What should I expect? Any recommendations? And just a survey of past cruisers, what was the greatest number of ships you guys have encountered in a port? Thanks in advance!

Hiya - that got me curious so I looked it up and according to your Roll Call post, it appears you are heading out on Carnival Splendor, porting in Cozumel on Jan 13, 2017. Two websites I checked show 6 ships in Coz that day, so I'm not sure where you are getting 10 ships. I do see Allure there on one site but not the other. A third site shows 5 ships.

http://www.cruisecal.com/portal/ItineraryLookup/tabid/2918/Default.aspx?sailID=CCL78522

http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/Mexico/155-Cozumel/January_2017/

I just did some searching myself, finding from 4 to 6 ships in port. This is why the various "private" websites are less than trustworthy.

However, in this case, the official Cozumel port website, here:

http://www.apiqroo.com.mx./

was far less than helpful as to seeing into the future. If someone else wishes to dig deeper, have at it.

Hiya - that got me curious so I looked it up and according to your Roll Call post, it appears you are heading out on Carnival Splendor, porting in Cozumel on Jan 13, 2017. Two websites I checked show 6 ships in Coz that day, so I'm not sure where you are getting 10 ships. I do see Allure there on one site but not the other. A third site shows 5 ships.

http://www.cruisecal.com/portal/ItineraryLookup/tabid/2918/Default.aspx?sailID=CCL78522

http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/Mexico/155-Cozumel/January_2017/

As I stated in my original post, "according to cruisetimetables.com", so that was my source for the information. If that is not a reliable source then I apologize. The cruisett.com website you refer to does not have the right itinerary and has the ports of call reversed for some reason. Cruisecal.com list 7 ships if you include the Splendor. There appears to be ships from MSC cruises and Crystal Cruiseline that are not included on that website, assuming cruisetimetables.com is correct. I have zero experience with cruising and those websites, so I could be totally wrong. Thanks for any help and didn't mean to send anyone on a wild goose chase.

Thanks clarea for the info. I'll make sure to figure the extra time in to get back to the ship on time.

Happy Cruising

After looking closer, it does appear 2 of the ships are listed twice with different itineraries, the Crystal Serenity and the MSC Opera. Don't know what that means or how that works, but that's why I ask. So if that's the case, may just be 8 ships in port that day.

Thanks again

:eek: Just saw a thread where someone was asking about 7 ships in port in Cozumel so it got me curious. Cruisetimetables.com is showing 10 ships when we are there, with several BIG ships. Should I be concerned? What should I expect? Any recommendations? And just a survey of past cruisers, what was the greatest number of ships you guys have encountered in a port? Thanks in advance!

Concerned about what? Are you worried the island will sink? Most likely it will not. Are you worried it might be crowded? Most likely it will. Will that affect your plans? I don't know, what are your plans?

Concerned about what? Are you worried the island will sink? Most likely it will not. Are you worried it might be crowded? Most likely it will. Will that affect your plans? I don't know, what are your plans?

Ya got me, that's exactly what I was afraid of, the island sinking :rolleyes: Thank goodness there'll be ships close by.

We picked our excursion based on the fact there would be 7 ships in port...since we are one of the first in we should get there early and have good spots on the beach. It was a concern for us too...and thanks Clarea for the reminder about traffic and extra time to get back to the dock!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After looking closer, it does appear 2 of the ships are listed twice with different itineraries, the Crystal Serenity and the MSC Opera. Don't know what that means or how that works, but that's why I ask. So if that's the case, may just be 8 ships in port that day.

Thanks again

The private port sites often list the same ship multiple times because they are showing the cruises as they may have been booked. Thus a cruise which could be booked as a one week segment of a longer voyage may show up as both the 1 seeker and the longer cruise. Always go through and count the actual ships. For that day in cozomel the sites I use show 8 ships.

Such a helpful post. :rolleyes:

If the OP divulges his/her plans, then I can provide more information. Otherwise, I have no clue what the concern is. That is why I asked for more information.

Edited by Cuizer2

...Cruisecal.com list 7 ships if you include the Splendor.... didn't mean to send anyone on a wild goose chase....

Yes, my mistake, showing 7 ships at that site. No one is being sent on a wild goose chase - we all want to help you, that's why we replied.

:eek: Cruisetimetables.com is showing 10 ships when we are there, with several BIG ships....

Can you link to this because I guess no one else is seeing this?

but, iteneraries sometimes change

and a day is 24 hours long, sometimes say in Nassau we are seeing 6-7 ships in port on a day but arrive to see one or two steaming away in the distance!

the one thing we all know if you are the only boat in town that day, they will want your dollar just as with any day but you'll have your choices of where to spend it

while if you are in town with 12000 other cruisers, that might be a good day to stay on board by the pool and enjoy the fact they don't blast the friggin music so loud!:)

Ports don't take more ships than they can handle...no worries!

Well, they don't take enough to make them sink, but they certainly do occasionally take enough to give everyone a crowded, traffic-jammed, less-than-ideal experience... yes worries.

St. Maarten, for example, is great on the occasional slow day with one or two small ships in port. It is a mess on a six ship day with 20,000+ passengers clogging everything.

Well, they don't take enough to make them sink, but they certainly do occasionally take enough to give everyone a crowded, traffic-jammed, less-than-ideal experience... yes worries.

St. Maarten, for example, is great on the occasional slow day with one or two small ships in port. It is a mess on a six ship day with 20,000+ passengers clogging everything.

Thank you ...you said just what I wanted to. Just because an island has the required dock space doesn't mean they have enough restaurants, sanitary facilities, road space (Taxis, buses,etc.) to easily accommodate 20,000 extra people so I would be a little worried as well.