Dinner in MDR <>Dinner in Lido: not same any more?

fann1sh

Can anyone update me?

I thought menus were the same.

Very rarely the same, Lido will have some of the items found on the MDR menu but not all. When we checked the Lido menu, if we didn't see something we wanted that was on the MDR menu, we would just order off the MDR menu to our room. Worked out well even on surf and turf night.

Very rarely the same, Lido will have some of the items found on the MDR menu but not all. When we checked the Lido menu, if we didn't see something we wanted that was on the MDR menu, we would just order off the MDR menu to our room. Worked out well even on surf and turf night.

Agree. Last three cruises we have checked this extensively. The better cuts of beef and fish are not found in the Lido, MDR only. Larger selection of deserts in Lido, but not nicer deserts. Same with other courses.

Well, that's a bit disappointing. I thought HAL had found a means of eliminating dress up/down friction.

Room service is a lovely idea! Thanks.

it was really nice...and with the metal heating plates under any hot foods kept everything warm as we did apps, then salads, before moving on to the entrees. It was always delivered within a couple minutes of the time we had requested. One night we ate in the cabin and one night on the balcony as we left Ketchikan. :)

Well, that's a bit disappointing. I thought HAL had found a means of eliminating dress up/down friction.

Room service is a lovely idea! Thanks.

I haven't seen any "dress down/ dress up friction" on Gala nights. I think that is what you are referring to?

Gala nights are pretty simple now -men just need a collared shirt and pants, ladies - pants, skirt,whatever -just no shorts and no jeans.

some will be dressed up and some not. No biggie. there are really no big rules now on Gala nights, no fashion police and I have never seen any friction ;)

Room service is definitely an option but not necessary if you are only worried about "friction".

smooth seas :)

Hi again, Jacqui! I'm "herding cats" this voyage: Dad likes the idea of dressing up, then decides if eating means getting out of his chair, it's too much trouble; and sister panics if faced with "fancy dining".

I guess I'm Cat#3: I'll eat at a buffet when you drag me there, kicking and screaming.

So, the friction I anticipated was mostly internal.

Just started a thread on whether anyone has paid for/arranged Pinnacle room service, to satisfy my "hunks of raw beef" companions!

Can anyone update me?

I thought menus were the same.

I did not eat in the MDR this past 7 day cruise so can't compare the menus - ate in Pinnacle Grill, Caneletto , room service and the Lido. One night the Lido had the best prime rib I have ever had on HAL. Maybe a fluke but it was moist and not tough as MDR prime rib has been in the past.

DH and I sailed on a Caribbean itinerary on NA last February, and felt seriously underdressed in nice pants/shirt for him and black pants/dressy blouse for me. Nearly everyone was in a dark suit, some dinner jackets, lots and lots of glittery cocktail dresses. We were surprised as we thought we'd be fine. Oh, well.

DH and I sailed on a Caribbean itinerary on NA last February, and felt seriously underdressed in nice pants/shirt for him and black pants/dressy blouse for me. Nearly everyone was in a dark suit, some dinner jackets, lots and lots of glittery cocktail dresses. We were surprised as we thought we'd be fine. Oh, well.

As long as my attire fits within the cruise lines guidelines I never worry if someone choose to dress up "more" than me. That is their choice, as would be dressing in slacks and a nicely pressed button down be mine :D. If someone wants to look "down" on me for complying with the guidelines I figure that's their issue not mine!

Back on topic. I don't remember in my last few HAL cruises that everything offered in the MDR was available in the Lido in the evenings, but there were a few dishes and the quality and presentation were, as I expect on HAL, a cut above other cruise lines.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

Thanks GE Mom, Atlanta Cruiser (and all) but the issue isn't clothing. Sister is a fashion/costume designer who's concocted something special for both of us for Gala night. "It's a secret," she tells me.

Dad will be in his trusty blazer.

"No one there knows you or will ever see you again," she tells me.

Given what Sis can come up with, I wish *I* had a "trusty blazer".

No: Sis panics at formal or "pretentious" dinner service. After she and I make our entrance <face!palm> it would have been handy to be able to hiss: "Just go to the Lido now for cryin' out loud! It's the same food."

After dinner she will parade me/herself/her creations around public venues. <shudder> This does not panic her AT ALL.

Sorry if this is TMI. :o Multiple edits have made this into a rant, LOL. I really do love you sis. Honest.

Edited by fann1sh

Even though others were dressy, I'm sure they didn't mind or will even remember that you weren't. I loved that people were formally dressed for Gala nights and pretty well dressed on regular nights. But, I pretty much glossed over the people who weren't and I didn't care either way.

On the Eurodam this summer, the menu in the Lido was very different than in the MDR. I would say 2 or 3 items overlapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My experience was that dinner in the Lido was never exactly the same as dinner in the Main Dining Room. There were some similar dishes, but never the same. And there were other different offerings in the Lido. I always check both the Main Dining Menu and the Lido menu before deciding where to eat that night.

(I'm not a fan of the upcharge restaurants and those menus don't change.)

On the Eurodam last fall we had pre-booked dinner in the Pinnacle and Tamarind all nights. However, one night was De Librjie and there wasn't room for us in the Tamarind. So we thought we would do Open Seating but then we got an invitation to a cocktail that evening. So we knew that we would not have time to wait for dinner and slow service in Open Seating.

Went to the Lido for dinner. The menu was almost the same as the main dining room which on that night was nothing great to speak of. DH won't go back to the Lido again for dinner.

Hi again, Jacqui! I'm "herding cats" this voyage: Dad likes the idea of dressing up, then decides if eating means getting out of his chair, it's too much trouble; and sister panics if faced with "fancy dining".

I guess I'm Cat#3: I'll eat at a buffet when you drag me there, kicking and screaming.

So, the friction I anticipated was mostly internal.

Just started a thread on whether anyone has paid for/arranged Pinnacle room service, to satisfy my "hunks of raw beef" companions!

LOL on the internal friction. Ughh.

The Lido does post their dinner menu relatively early. So, you can see what'son it. Some things in the MDR are offered but not everything. Sometimes it has good options. But, I like you, prefer to dine elsewhere when I can ;)

I don't believe Pinnacle room service is available, sorry.

Now, I don't know if you chatted with the PG manager and placed an order if you could go pick it up and take it to your room.

On the Eurodam this summer, the menu in the Lido was very different than in the MDR. I would say 2 or 3 items overlapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree with SLOTheta. We were on B2B on Eurodam in April/May 2016.

Lido used to have most items that were on the MDR except for some of the specialty items like lobster and other prime dishes. They use to have the Lido menu for dinner displayed just after lunch time so you could check what was on at the MDR for dinner and then decide Lido or MDR.

No more though. You have to wait until the Lido opens and go look at the serving line before deciding. Less MDR items were on the Lido menu than our previous Dam cruises. Noticeable was no appetizers from the MDR were in the Lido. Only basic soup and salads etc.

However there was one night on one of the segments (after a formal night) where they offered up grilled lobster and steak in the Lido. Must have been a one off occasion as it was a port intensive cruise and they may have overplanned for lobster in the MDR.

I o not think a Pinnacl e will permit a guest to 'pre-order'inner, iick it up and take it to their cabin. cerrainly ask if you wish but i wou ld not c ount on hearing f'ine, okay

We had rrom sevfi ce Pinnacle a few2 times but there werecircumstances.

Edited by sail7seas

We actually had never paid any attention to the Lido menu until one night after our regular MDR meal we saw a Mexican favorite dish listed when we walked down the down the stairs where the menu board was. We both thought why not. We went in and it was very nice. The food was great. I suspect we will look at the board more next time and potentially eat in there instead of the main dining room.