Transport on Big Island Hawaii

Looby Lou Strong

If it were me I'd definitely grab a rental and drive to a beach on the dry side, but it probably wouldn't be Hapuna. My top picks would be Makalawena, Kikaua, or maybe even the Mauna Kea beach. Don't get me wrong, Hapuna is great, but there are other more beautiful and/or less crowded beaches IMO.

As a former Big Island resident, it is my opinion that this is a pretty unrealistic, expensive and risky idea. There are other ports that have great beaches. In Hilo, I would go to the volcano, the black sand beach, botanical gardens, waterfalls, orchids farm, etc. So many choices! The town of Hilo offers a glimpse into the real old Hawaii.

Edited by Carolyn R

As a former Big Island resident, it is my opinion that this is a pretty unrealistic, expensive and risky idea. There are other ports that have great beaches. In Hilo, I would go to the volcano, the black sand beach, botanical gardens, waterfalls, orchids farm, etc. So many choices! The town of Hilo offers a glimpse into the real old Hawaii.

It is beautiful and unspoiled.The Botanical Gardens are like being in Paradise.Bug spray a must though.

It all depends on a personal taste.We are all different thank goodness:)

When we were there we had our disabled veteran son with us. We knew we needed to rent a car so we arranged it well in advance - like a month in advance - to be sure we got the type of car he could transfer to from his wheelchair.

We arrived in port and my wife and son waited while I took the shuttle to get the car. When I got to the rental place I found a crowd of really peeved people. It seems that someone had rented out all of the reserved cars to people who came in on a plane earlier.

After THREE HOURS they finally got me a vehicle from a different rental place but it was NOT something my son could easily get in and out of. It was not at all a good experience and wasted 3 hours of our shore time as well as making it extremely difficult to do much once we had the vehicle as it was quite a struggle to get my son in and out of the thing. If you rent a car I certainly hope you have a better experience.

Note: On the other port stops we had no issues with the vehicle. The down side was, of course, my son couldn't tender at Maui. He stayed onboard and read and had drinks up on Lido deck. He did see a couple of whales while there though.

If it were me I'd definitely grab a rental and drive to a beach on the dry side, but it probably wouldn't be Hapuna. My top picks would be Makalawena, Kikaua, or maybe even the Mauna Kea beach. Don't get me wrong, Hapuna is great, but there are other more beautiful and/or less crowded beaches IMO.

Makalawena is very difficult to access and you must go either by 4 wheel drive down the "nasty road" or drive in to a parking lot and hike 1.5 miles over lava rock. Mauna Kea only has 20 public parking spaces available and most are gone by 9:15AM on most days. Kikaua also has limited parking slots allowed each day so by the time they got their from the Hilo side I am sure they would be gone on most days.

Hapuna has the easiest beach parking and beach access IMHO of the ones mentioned.

cr8tiv1, couldn't agree more. I know that you are from the Islands, and, I can only speak from the perspective of having been a few times. The last couple of times we have rented a car and have gone to the Volcano Park, Macadamia nut farm, the water falls and a few other stops. (the ukulele shop that Tiki Dave recommends was one :D). We even drove to the Punaluu County Beach Park after the Volcano Park visit on one trip and enjoyed the black sand beach. Nice place, too, as it was not crowded and mostly locals there. Too bad that the cruise stop is so short because there is much to do if you are so inclined. Kona is too much like a typical tourist area. You can get that in the Lahaina, Maui stop if that is what you are looking for.

YMMV.

Please....Lahania and Kailua Kona are not even close..all islands are different and have their own flavors....the largest concentration of tourists on Hawaii are at Waikoloa.....love the haole's interpretations though....so funnnnnny:D:D

What Caroline said...

Please....Lahania and Kailua Kona are not even close..all islands are different and have their own flavors....the largest concentration of tourists on Hawaii are at Waikoloa.....love the haole's interpretations though....so funnnnnny:D:D

Yes, you are correct. Each island has something special to offer. But I also agree that Kailua-Kona is very "similar" to Lahaina. The Waikoloa area is just a row of huge resorts. Kona does have its charm if you have the time to do the three National Parks, South Point, etc. But the town of Kona is nothing like what you will experience on the Hilo side. Too bad the port time is too short! So much to do, so little time.

With this said (just a different perspective, not arguing with you)... Rent your car from Harper's truck and auto in Hilo. You will avoid the congestion at the airport. They are just around the corner from the cruise terminal.

Displace local girl.

Yes, you are correct. Each island has something special to offer. But I also agree that Kailua-Kona is very "similar" to Lahaina. The Waikoloa area is just a row of huge resorts. Kona does have its charm if you have the time to do the three National Parks, South Point, etc. But the town of Kona is nothing like what you will experience on the Hilo side. Too bad the port time is too short! So much to do, so little time.

With this said (just a different perspective, not arguing with you)... Rent your car from Harper's truck and auto in Hilo. You will avoid the congestion at the airport. They are just around the corner from the cruise terminal.

Displace local girl.

Yes.....this is why almost all other cruise lines call at Kona and not Hilo....no way you will convince a local from Kona Hilo is where it is at....but I do get your drift...houses are much cheaper on the Hilo side for a reason...there are only two resorts at Waikoloa - The Hilton and Marriott...the rest are multi-million dollar condos and homes and the west side of the island has the best beaches by far....The 4 Seasons, Hapuna Prince, Mauna Lani, Fairmont Orchid I am sure decided to built on the Kona side of the island because there was nothing worth seeing or doing.....do not forget Coffee Country...Kohala Coast, Parker Ranch, Waipio Valley, Hawi, Akaka Falls, Puʻuhonua o Hōnaunau National Historical Park, etc.... and the list goes on....if they want to go to Hapuna Beach then I say go for it because it is worth it IMHO!!!!

Edited by PrincessLuver

Yes.....this is why almost all other cruise lines call at Kona and not Hilo....no way you will convince a local from Kona Hilo is where it is at....but I do get your drift...houses are much cheaper on the Hilo side for a reason...there are only two resorts at Waikoloa - The Hilton and Marriott...the rest are multi-million dollar condos and homes and the west side of the island has the best beaches by far....The 4 Seasons, Hapuna Prince, Mauna Lani, Fairmont Orchid I am sure decided to built on the Kona side of the island because there was nothing worth seeing or doing.....do not forget Coffee Country...Kohala Coast, Parker Ranch, Waipio Valley, Hawi, Akaka Falls, Puʻuhonua o Hōnaunau National Historical Park, etc.... and the list goes on....if they want to go to Hapuna Beach then I say go for it because it is worth it IMHO!!!!

We both agree that Hawaii Island (aka/the Big Island) has much more to see than, say Lanai. It is BIG. The best way to see this island is by car over a week. Half the week on the Hilo side and half the week on the Kona side.

I do the Hamakua Coastline from the Hilo side. I "guess" it could be done from "your" side too (LOL). Whatever the differences, I believe we both feel that Hawaii Island stop is just a sampling and many will have to return for an extended stay.

I know this is off topic, but I am going to put a plug in for what to do while in Honolulu. Please take a tour of Kalaupapa. It is very expensive but a spiritual experience that will be matched by no other. You may not make it because of the pick up times, but do inquire.

https://www.viator.com/tours/Oahu/Kalaupapa-and-Molokai-Day-Trip-from-Oahu/d672-5055MOLOKAI/important-info

We both agree that Hawaii Island (aka/the Big Island) has much more to see than, say Lanai. It is BIG. The best way to see this island is by car over a week. Half the week on the Hilo side and half the week on the Kona side.

I do the Hamakua Coastline from the Hilo side. I "guess" it could be done from "your" side too (LOL). Whatever the differences, I believe we both feel that Hawaii Island stop is just a sampling and many will have to return for an extended stay.

I know this is off topic, but I am going to put a plug in for what to do while in Honolulu. Please take a tour of Kalaupapa. It is very expensive but a spiritual experience that will be matched by no other. You may not make it because of the pick up times, but do inquire.

https://www.viator.com/tours/Oahu/Kalaupapa-and-Molokai-Day-Trip-from-Oahu/d672-5055MOLOKAI/important-info

After going back and reading the simple question posted, I've had other thoughts. I posted about Hilo as another post said it was "less interesting". The OP that wanted to get to Hapuna is from England. Could it be they just want to see one of the most beautiful beaches in the world? Also get down to Kua Bay,Manini'owali Beach Park. Parking is free.

Alot of the first posts were, it's a 90 minute drive, etc. Yup all of that, but you are on a good highway and you drive from the wet windward side, over the saddle road, to the dry desert leeward side. A great way to see various tropical climate areas.

How many who said the drive was too long would have been all over the Whitehall Pass drive, oh rent a car in Alaska, blah blah blah. Same port time, longer drive and you have to go through Canada,eh.

The beach is easily do able. Being from England I'm sure you've seen enough rain. What you haven't seen is the beautiful Hamakua coast and the waterfalls associated with the wet climate of the Hilo side.

Take another posters idea and go to rollcall for a US driver to split cost with or try Tours by Locals site.

I used to fly daily into Kalaupapa and had the honor of meeting and dealing with Richards Marks. The tour is well worth it. My friends just did it again last weekend on a boys trip to Molokai. No donkeys for them hike, topside down and back up. If you like a good read," No Footprints in the Sand "by Henry Nalaielua, is a great Kalaupapa read, along with Gavan Daws,"HolyMan".

A great way to see various tropical climate areas.

Hawaii Island has every climate zone from desert to Tundra.

The beach is easily do able. Being from England I'm sure you've seen enough rain. What you haven't seen is the beautiful Hamakua coast and the waterfalls associated with the wet climate of the Hilo side.

Take another posters idea and go to rollcall for a US driver to split cost with or try Tours by Locals site.

I used to fly daily into Kalaupapa and had the honor of meeting and dealing with Richards Marks (the "mayor" of Kalaupapa? Met him too). The tour is well worth it. My friends just did it again last weekend on a boys trip to Molokai. No donkeys for them hike, topside down and back up. If you like a good read," No Footprints in the Sand "by Henry Nalaielua, is a great Kalaupapa read, along with Gavan Daws,"HolyMan".

Just finished "Moloka'i" by Alan Brennert. Historical Fiction but nice read. I also read "Holy Man". I was fortunate to have Gavan Daws as my History Professor at the University of Hawaii. Best History class I ever had.

Wow...daily visits. What stories you must have.

Edited by cr8tiv1

After going back and reading the simple question posted, I've had other thoughts. I posted about Hilo as another post said it was "less interesting". The OP that wanted to get to Hapuna is from England. Could it be they just want to see one of the most beautiful beaches in the world? Also get down to Kua Bay,Manini'owali Beach Park. Parking is free.

Alot of the first posts were, it's a 90 minute drive, etc. Yup all of that, but you are on a good highway and you drive from the wet windward side, over the saddle road, to the dry desert leeward side. A great way to see various tropical climate areas.

How many who said the drive was too long would have been all over the Whitehall Pass drive, oh rent a car in Alaska, blah blah blah. Same port time, longer drive and you have to go through Canada,eh.

I used to fly daily into Kalaupapa and had the honor of meeting and dealing with Richards Marks. The tour is well worth it. My friends just did it again last weekend on a boys trip to Molokai. No donkeys for them hike, topside down and back up. If you like a good read," No Footprints in the Sand "by Henry Nalaielua, is a great Kalaupapa read, along with Gavan Daws,"HolyMan".

Mahalo!!!

Way off the original question now so I will leave the pros and cons of Kona vs Hilo to you local folks. I will say that in early December, 1973 I was fortunate enough to visit the islands on a 10 day land trip. What is most memorable is that we flew into Kona early in the morning (7:30 am or so). We rented a car and stopped at a really nice beach (no condos, no fancy hotels, pretty much nothing, unlike today). Afterwards we drove southeast along the coast. A lot of cacti and scrub and cattle. We then drove north to the Volcano park (this was long before the latest eruptions). Saw the crater, went to the old visitor center (now destroyed by the lava flow years ago) and then drove (over the old road now covered by lava) on to Hilo. On the way visited a black sand beach, saw one of the painted churches and visited old town Hilo. We flew back to Oahu about 8:00 pm. BTW, back then Waikiki compared to now seemed pretty vacant in terms of development. I could go on and on, but, we seem to have commandeered this thread with this talk.

OP, see my earlier post. Ask to join someone on your roll call who can drive. Enjoy your cruise to the islands! :D

Edited by ar1950

.... and the list goes on....if they want to go to Hapuna Beach then I say go for it because it is worth it IMHO!!!!

Right up to the point where they miss the ship :eek:

All it takes is one accident and you're flying to the next port to catch the ship.

The only way we would consider such an adventure would be on a ships excursion. Maybe in a rare case an excursion through a company that guarantees return to the ship.