Live from the Anthem of the wavy seas - Sept 3rd, 5 nights

lor74

If you look carefully, you can see me in the Northstar waving at the camera [emoji12]. I was fully prepared. Had already taken the ginger and had the bandz on. I took a Generic Bonine after the fact, but it was too late. Will be ready to chew promptly on the way back!!! It is very hot out now, but the main pool still is not open, and the other pools have not even been filled yet. I am going to walk around town. Lunch was a salad, turkey burger, potatoes, and some shwarma.....which thankfully was not as good as the lamb kabob on the Regal Princess....if anyone followed those threads, I ate way too much of that lamb!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the news last night, they interviewed a couple that was on the Anthem disaster cruise in February and THIS was the cruise they booked with their credit from that cruise. The poor wife looked defeated. If they were on CC, I'd be worried if I saw them in my roll call!

Glad things are better now, Lor. Enjoy Bermuda!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Glad to see the sunshine. Enjoy your time in Bermuda. We have only been there once and we took the ferry to downtown (?) for shopping and lunch.

One last tip for rough seas. We were on a very rough cruise on Explorer a few years back going down to the Caribbean. I found it more comfortable sleeping on the sofa where the swaying was not side to side as on the bed, but head to toe on the couch. My husband was in the bed and got sick. I was OK.

Hope the rest of your cruise is great!

On the news last night, they interviewed a couple that was on the Anthem disaster cruise in February and THIS was the cruise they booked with their credit from that cruise. The poor wife looked defeated. If they were on CC, I'd be worried if I saw them in my roll call!

Oh dear..what are the chances. Poor lady.

Oh dear..what are the chances. Poor lady.

Saw that interview, too. Don't know why they booked Bermuda in September which is prime hurricane season. Oh well, hope the rest of the cruise is calmer. My two daughters are on the ship and one brought bonine and the other the patch. Hope it kept them from seasickness. They were prepared because they heard the forecast and both have cruised before.

Gotta say - I love this thread.

Thank you for taking the time to update everyone on what is going on.

My wife and I have this exact same cruise booked for next year (Sept 9 2017) and she's a bit worried about taking the trip given what she saw on the news about your trip, AND the fact that its right around Hurricane Season.

I'd like to think that it's all dumb luck - but for the money we're spending, this would be awful (though it would deter us from going on another one in the future).

Hopefully the weather has turned for the better for you all - stay safe - and congratulations on your lifestyle change. I'm hoping to do the same by the time we board next year!

We had the same apprehensions when we booked the Aug. 25th, '16 NE/Canada itinerary. To our surprise all of the 10 days, the seas/ocean was as calm & tranquil as I've seen in the Carib.

Note to the Op. When you left Bayonne did the Captain go straight to the open seas. On our cruise, he went up the Hudson and a thrill to see the Statue of Liberty and the Battery Park sky-line, along with the Freedom Tower.

Also, when he turned around we were in 2x70 and the powerful azi-pods shook and rattled the 2x70 theatre.

We did our first on the Zenith in Sept of 2001. We had to leave from Baltimore because of 911 and the NY harbor was shutdown.

The Captain never warned us that there was a major storm in the Atlantic and when we hit open water everything in our suite was flying around like a Harry Potter movie. Broken glasses in our cabin and the incessant slamming of the anchor against the hull. Our window view from suite 1008 (remember no verandas then) showed all water one moment and all sky the next. Due to a delayed departure we had to do the Muster on the outer deck in the morning. What a ride.

Our first of more than 22 or so? since 2001.

bosco

We are a couple of glutens for punishment. The tip should have been the ropes that were stung along the stairs with seasick bags everywhere. The service desk had a big bowl of dramamene the way a restaurant would have mints. When the ship hit the gulf stream on day two, it tilted to one side. People fell off bar stools, the bottles behind the bar flew out, furniture was everywhere. When the ship landed in Hamilton a day late, we were told Lloyds of London sent down an engineer to see if the ship was seaworthy for the trip home. Some passengers chose to fly back to NY as there was another hurricane in the region. The hull as battered and the bow was bent out of shape. Since it was our first cruise, we thought this was the way it was. There was an enterprising t-shirt manufacturer on the island that made, "I survived Hurricane Edouard on the Zenith" shirts ... Doesn't fit any longer but I kept it just the same.

Anyway, glad to hear everyone arrived in Bermuda safely.

IMG_7414.jpg

Straight out under the bridge

Too bad. By the way, when you went thru the storm, did the Anthem creak. On our Feb. '14 Quantum cruise, coming North, we hit some weather pattern as soon as we approached Nassau. Waves were as high as 25 feet and the ship creaked like the dickens. Cabin, elevators and theatre creaked like hell. Captain, in his ask the captain segment, likened to a new house settling. This weather pattern (sunny as anything) went for about a day & a half.

Maybe the third time is the charm for this couple.

Forgot to mention that I usually take Bonine at night. That way I can sleep off any drowsiness. Even "non-drowsy" Dramine knocks me out, but I don't feel that way with Bonine. That's not to say I don't nap on a cruise! [emoji5] love my afternoon sea day naps! As long as I'm out and about, I don't feel sleepy at all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Ship looks good.

Any damage at all?

Just got off from the N.E. cruise before it was to set sail into the storm.

I was last one her 2 weeks after the last big storm off the Carolina's.

Several satellite dooms were destroyed. Lots of shattered glass panels and sheet metal torn away around the indoor pool enclosure.

The one statue next to Johnny Rockets was torn off and the ceiling panels inside next Johnny Rockets and under the Sports Deck overhangs came down.

It is now all fixed up.

The other statue on the other side of the pool is now missing.

Still a few missing panels under the outside overhang on the Sports Deck.

Yesterday was the worst day at sea we have ever had. Thankfully today has been what we are used to, the perfect cruise day! We did have some short passing showers, and the pool didn't open till around 2pm, but I can't complain. Ro got her sun, which is all she requires. I walked around town and identified 2 spots where I might go for a swim tomorrow. There is a beach spot not far from the ship which charges a $5 entry fee. It looks to be built up since the last time we were here. There is also a pirate ship bar next to the dolphin swim. They allow free entry to jump of the back of the ship for swimming. After my walk, I took the sun and went in the pool with Ro. I am looking forward to Chops!

I will upload more pics while in the shower....no, not of me showering [emoji13]

Edited by lor74

Yesterday was the worst day at sea we have ever had. Thankfully today has been what we are used to, the perfect cruise day! We did have some short passing showers, and the pool didn't open till around 2pm, but I can't complain. Ro got her sun, which is all she requires. I walked around town and identified 2 spots where I might go for a swim tomorrow. There is a beach spot not far from the ship which charges a $5 entry fee. It looks to be built up since the last time we were here. There is also a pirate ship bar next to the dolphin swim. They allow free entry to jump of the back of the ship for swimming. After my walk, I took the sun and went in the pool with Ro. I am looking forward to Chops!

I will upload more pics while in the shower....no, not of me showering [emoji13]

If your talking about Snorkel Park, do yourself a favor and take the bus to Horseshoe Bay instead! Or better yet, Jobson's Cove (next stop after Horseshoe Bay)! You can get a ticket right out in front of the ship on the dock (between the Anthem and the Dawn). Last time we were there it was $3.00 for the bus, and both beaches are free. Horseshoe Bay has food and drink there also. And well worth it!

Look for the cave at Horseshoe Bay :)

Edited by Last Mate

The Internet package has already been paid for by the office (20% off advanced purchase) so I will probably do some live reporting from the ship. This will only be our (Lor & Ro) 2nd RCCL cruise, after the Allure last year. We originally had the NCL Getaway booked for October, but some unforeseen scheduling conflicts came up at work, and we had to cancel. Thankfully it was before final payment, and I was able to transfer my flight for my January trip. The Anthem seemed like a good replacement, as the price was right, and we could drive down from Montreal.

We left at 6am this morning. The drive went very smooth (except for the back spasms), and we arrived at our destination around noon.

We are spending the night at the Courtyard Marriott Edgewater. This hotel is newish, and the address will not even show on the map. It is on the NJ side of river facing Manhattan. They offer free parking, wifi, and shuttle service to the ferry. I booked the night by using 25,000 Marriott points. We will be coming back here for a night after the cruise as well. That night is via a free room certificate. I highly recommend the Marriott Visa card for anyone who can take advantage of hotel points. You can get up to 80,000 bonus points for the US card, and 50,000 points in Canada.

After dropping off our luggage, we drove to the Newport Mall in Jersey City. It took less than 30 minutes to get there. The GPS in my Altima worked beautifully today! We were both starving at this point, and went to the Cheesecake Factory. This meal did not go well! Ro ordered eggplant parm, and I got a burger and fries. I should mention, that I have been on a path to better health, and had not had a burger or fries since our last cruise in January! If anyone happened to follow any of my previous "live froms", I am now down 80lbs [emoji106]🏻. I had ordered my burger medium. When our food arrived, I cut it down the middle, and it was barely medium rare. I sent it back. It took around 10 minutes for another plate to arrive, and it was the same burger, which was now a piece of leather. That went back and I awaited a new burger. During this time Ro is very slowly eating her food, while waiting for me to actually have something in front of me. It took so long for the 3rd attempt, that I got very frustrated and asked for a manager. He was very apologetic, and besides not charging us, asked what he could do for us. Ro got a fresh bowl of pasta, and by the time my burger came back, it had been 30 minutes from the time the original order came to the table. This new burger was still more medium rare than medium, but I ate and enjoyed it as much I could under the circumstances. We left without any cheesecake [emoji22], and did some shopping before heading back to the hotel.

It has been a very long day, and we are in for the night. With Hermine, we have no clue what to expect from this cruise...besides rough seas. I can only hope for the best!

sorry about the food......but trust me you don't want to keep sending back food :)and piss of the cook.....all kinds of stuff happens in the kitchen.

I'm enjoying your review

just a few weeks ago we did go to the pirate ship - for a swizzle (cocktail) and watch people jumping of the diving board and climbing up and sliding down the huge side. everyone looked like there were having a great time.

Can you tell me what "free" drinks there are if you do not purchase a soda package (i.e. Lemonade, iced tea, coffee etc)

Tap water, regular coffee, hot tea, iced tea, lemonade, milk, and juices at breakfast.

There is ice tea, and kiwi water or something like that...it is sugar free, but full of chemicals. Breakfast has apple juice and orange...the orange is completely watered down. And of course there is hot tea & coffee

It generally takes me one day to get fully accustomed to a new ship. For whatever reason, I keep going the wrong way on the Anthem. I am continuously going in the wrong direction between aft and forward, and keep ending up in the wrong floor where the shops and restaurants are...it is quite odd for me. So tonight we had a 7:15pm reservation at Chops. We would have been there right on time, but what do you know, we ended up in the wrong place....oh, I took us to shops instead of Chops....lmao, what is going on with me? So we finally get there...and long story short, I am so stuffed! We started off with bread and wine. Ro had mushroom soup, salad, crab cake, and tuna. I had onion soup, salad, some sort of bacon, and the 9oz filet. Our sides were fries, croquettes, mash, and mushrooms. Dessert was coffee, red velvet cake, hot cookies, and a mudslide. Did I mention I am so stuffed! It was a very good meal, and my filet was perfect!!! Back in the cabin, our aft balcony is water side. There is complete silence outside, nobody else s outside, no wind or waves...silence, that is except for 2 sea creatures splashing around right in front of us. It is too dark to know what they are, we can only hear them and see the ripples....I love being out here!