Carnival Announces Construction of 180,000 Ton Ships

CruiseHealing

here's an article from back in june when they were discussing the orders, with 2 for aida confirmed (at that time - which appear to have been shifted back in queue):

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/12701-carnival-next-gen-ship-details-lng-180000-tons-2-for-aida.html

Based on Carnival Corporation’s innovative new ship design, each of the four next-generation ships will have a total capacity of 6,600 guests, feature more than 5,000 lower berths, exceed 180,000 gross tons and incorporate an extensive number of guest-friendly features. A major part of the innovative design involves making much more efficient use of the ship's spaces, creating an enhanced onboard experience for guests, said Carnival.

i guess we're looking at about 6,600 pax. i really am interested to see how they design that.

Edited by falkcor

here's an article from back in june when they were discussing the orders, with 2 for aida confirmed (at that time - which appear to have been shifted back in queue):

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/12701-carnival-next-gen-ship-details-lng-180000-tons-2-for-aida.html

i guess we're looking at about 6,600 pax. i really am interested to see how they design that.

I am always confused about how they measure passenger capacity. When you see capacity quoted for a ship sometimes it is all berths, sometimes it is based on double occupancy. Carnival did say in their release 5,200 based on double capacity but they have shown interest in the Vista Class on family staterooms so who knows what this class will look like. http://carnival-news.com/2016/09/06/two-new-180000-ton-ships-for-carnival-cruise-line-will-be-largest-ever-built-for-the-company-and-first-in-north-america-to-be-powered-by-liquefied-natural-gas/

This is pretty exciting. I'd love to see Carnival get more serious with their ships and actually compete with RCI.

6k+ guests on 180k..... RCI does 6k on 225k. That's an interesting stat. Wonder how it'll come together.

I am always confused about how they measure passenger capacity. When you see capacity quoted for a ship sometimes it is all berths, sometimes it is based on double occupancy. Carnival did say in their release 5,200 based on double capacity but they have shown interest in the Vista Class on family staterooms so who knows what this class will look like. http://carnival-news.com/2016/09/06/two-new-180000-ton-ships-for-carnival-cruise-line-will-be-largest-ever-built-for-the-company-and-first-in-north-america-to-be-powered-by-liquefied-natural-gas/

Costa's 180000 ton ship will be 6,600 all berths capacity.

[YOUTUBE]-l2OmOs9wtk[/YOUTUBE]

This is pretty exciting. I'd love to see Carnival get more serious with their ships and actually compete with RCI.

6k+ guests on 180k..... RCI does 6k on 225k. That's an interesting stat. Wonder how it'll come together.

I think the big difference will be the lack of the central mall area that RCI has on their larger classes. They double the balcony cabins but lose all of the interior cabins in that space. Something I don't see Carnival having any interest in doing. By not having that large open space, Carnival can keep their ships smaller but still have the same level of passengers.

I think the big difference will be the lack of the central mall area that RCI has on their larger classes. They double the balcony cabins but lose all of the interior cabins in that space. Something I don't see Carnival having any interest in doing. By not having that large open space, Carnival can keep their ships smaller but still have the same level of passengers.

Its that open mall though that gives one the feeling they are NOT on a ship with 6000 other individuals. Yes, its a "waste" of space, hence the reason the Oasis class is so wide.

How Carnival pulls this off, 6K people on a ship that appears to be a little larger than the Vista class will be interesting to see.

The big news though is the LNG propulsion systems. When first announced last Spring the LNG ships were for Europe, this is the first I have seen North America mentioned. Carnival will have to build LNG infrastructure in the ports these new ships are assigned.

I should have worded my statement differently.

I'm sure it's technically feasible. But a much smaller vessel with similar passenger count doesn't sound all that great. But with less open space and maybe more venues, who knows?

I'm curious to see how it comes together from a passenger comfort standpoint. One thing that I absolutely love about Oasis - is that even with 6k passengers, I've never been on a cruise that "felt" more empty. It was really incredible, actually.

Its that open mall though that gives one the feeling they are NOT on a ship with 6000 other individuals. Yes, its a "waste" of space, hence the reason the Oasis class is so wide.

How Carnival pulls this off, 6K people on a ship that appears to be a little larger than the Vista class will be interesting to see.

The big news though is the LNG propulsion systems. When first announced last Spring the LNG ships were for Europe, this is the first I have seen North America mentioned. Carnival will have to build LNG infrastructure in the ports these new ships are assigned.

The Central Park and Boardwalk areas, being open space, are not included in gross tonnage, so eliminating them does nothing to the comparison of the two classes of ships.

Along with this will come the challenges of squeezing the LNG infrastructure into the hull. LNG requires 6 times the volume for the same energy as residual fuel oil, so tankage either increases, or they fuel more often. Also, the LNG tanks cannot be on the bottom or sides of the hull like fuel oil tanks, they must be in the central 60% of the hull (side to side), which is prime space in the engine rooms. You also have to add the required void spaces around the tanks, and the re-liquifaction equipment to keep from boiling off too much LNG, and you've got a real Tetris problem going.

Along with this will come the challenges of squeezing the LNG infrastructure into the hull. LNG requires 6 times the volume for the same energy as residual fuel oil, so tankage either increases, or they fuel more often. Also, the LNG tanks cannot be on the bottom or sides of the hull like fuel oil tanks, they must be in the central 60% of the hull (side to side), which is prime space in the engine rooms. You also have to add the required void spaces around the tanks, and the re-liquifaction equipment to keep from boiling off too much LNG, and you've got a real Tetris problem going.

Very interesting

The Central Park and Boardwalk areas, being open space, are not included in gross tonnage, so eliminating them does nothing to the comparison of the two classes of ships.

1. If you are stating the empty space is not included in the specs that interesting. RCL ships in general are bigger and heavier than their Carnival counterparts due to the mall.

2. The technical and logistical issues make this interesting. Will these ships be permanently stationed in the Caribbean, or will they gravitate to Alaska in the summers? Why do you state the tanks must be centrally located?

Edited by longhorn2004

1. If you are stating the empty space is not included in the specs that interesting. RCL ships in general are bigger and heavier than their Carnival counterparts due to the mall.

Gross tonnage is a measure of enclosed volume, not of weight. Since central park and boardwalk are not enclosed, they don't count in the gross tonnage. The interior promenade does count. But it is several stories of "air" and most of the space is not usable.

2. The technical and logistical issues make this interesting. Will these ships be permanently stationed in the Caribbean, or will they gravitate to Alaska in the summers? Why do you state the tanks must be centrally located?

First off, remember that gross tonnage is a measure of volume, not weight. It is a modified measure of the total enclosed volume of the ship, so open areas like the central courtyard is not included, nor are balconies. Putting an open space in the middle of the ship means it must be larger, but not bigger in gross tonnage.

It is a requirement of the classification societies (the insurance underwriters of the maritime industry) that LNG tanks cannot be within 1/5 of the breadth of the ship from the side. So, these two 20% exclusion zones (one each side), means the tanks must be in the central 60% of the space. This is to protect the tanks from damage.

Where the ship is home ported depends entirely on where the infrastructure is built to fuel LNG ships. This requires a gas pipeline, a re-liquifaction plant, a terminal to fuel the barges, the barges, and the clearance of the port authority to have an LNG fueling facility in the port. At present, there is very little LNG infrastructure in Europe, and virtually none in the US.

Now is this for Carnival Cruise Lines? Or Carnival Corporation, because if the latter I get the feeling it would go to a line other than CCL.

EDIT: Nevermind, missed the very opening lines in the article lol. Exciting!

Edited by RBCL