Tim Roberts is joining Seabourn

Captain Tim Roberts has left Holland America and went to Seabourn. He always preferred small ships' date=' Said to see him leave Holland America .[/quote']

Yes, that's sad to hear that, he was a great captain with a great sense of humor, but he will be nearby, and we'll have Jeroen Schuchman to replace him and he is a great captain too.

Captain Tim Roberts has left Holland America and went to Seabourn. He always preferred small ships' date=' Said to see him leave Holland America .[/quote']

Had the pleasure of working for him back in 2011 on an eastbound Statendam Panama Canal cruise. Nicest person you'll ever meet! Fair winds and following seas on Seabourn, Captain!

Was he usually on Prinsendam? Who will take his place?

He has been on Prinsendam for the last few years I believe.

He was on other smaller ships.

The calling seems right to me since he does like small ships and while he will be missed on HAL, he is still in the "family" going to Seabourn, I think :)

Great captain and he will be missed on the Elegant Explorer and I am sure welcomed on Seabourn ;)

Was he usually on Prinsendam? Who will take his place?

See post #2. Jeroen Schuchmann has been staff captain on PRDM for a while and has filled in as an acting captain. He literally relieved Captain Roberts two days ago as captain. As fate would have it, Prinsendam's "other" captain came over to HAL from Seabourn not too long ago; Norwegian Dag Dvergastein

We did two 28 day cruises on the Prinsendam last year, and Tim Roberts was the captain both times. He really made the trip special. Any idea what ship he will be on with Seabourn?

He will certainly be missed on the Elegant Explorer. I'm hoping his next ship will be the Odyssey.

Roy

See post #2. Jeroen Schuchmann has been staff captain on PRDM for a while and has filled in as an acting captain. He literally relieved Captain Roberts two days ago as captain. As fate would have it, Prinsendam's "other" captain came over to HAL from Seabourn not too long ago; Norwegian Dag Dvergastein

[

He was captain on our TA in May. He was very visible around the ship, I think I saw him almost everyday. He also seemed to strike the fancy of some of the lady passengers, at least a few I was with one day during HH in the Ocean Bar. :p

[/b]

[

He was captain on our TA in May. He was very visible around the ship, I think I saw him almost everyday. He also seemed to strike the fancy of some of the lady passengers, at least a few I was with one day during HH in the Ocean Bar. :p

We were on Captain Dag Dvergastein's FIRST sailing on the Prinsendam back in December. Agree with KirkNC, he was very visible around the ship, and personable. On that cruise, we were fortunate to be in a Neptune suite, so we were always running into him, and the Staff Captain, in the Neptune Lounge, as it is right off the bridge. They liked the coffee machine. :D

We sailed with him Dec.2013 aboard the Prinsendam up the Amazon. He ate his lunch everyday outside by the Lido pool. A very approachable Captain and we really liked him.

All the best for Captain Roberts aboard the Seabourn ships.

Helen

Prinsendam has been listed for sale with ship brokers for over a decade. At some point operational / maintenance costs will exceed profitability (Prinsendam has the highest profit margin per person in the fleet). And since she sails mostly full she still satisfies as a HAL product. But until the point is reached where she is not profitable, will require too much investment operationally or has lost market draw HAL will field potential buyers.

For that matter, virtually ANY cruise ship is for sale....given the right price. Or charter....the last generation Nieuw Amsterdam and Noordam sailing under Thomson Cruises are still owned by HAL.

Veendam is also actively listed with brokers (but may not have much interest from buyers) and I believe the Maasdam is under a purchase agreement (perhaps not finalized) to leave the fleet after the 2017 season.

Edited by TampaMike

With Tim leaving It must be getting closer for the Prinsendam to leave Holland America.

When we were on the Prinsendam in 2013, Capt Roberts said he expected about five more years for her. Which would be 2018. :(

Are there any other smaller ships on other lines going out of service that could replace her? Or is the era of purpose-built smaller ships over for mass market cruise lines.

Edited by OlsSalt

With Tim leaving It must be getting closer for the Prinsendam to leave Holland America.

I don't believe there is a correlation between the two. PRDM' date=' now 28 yrs old, will leave when the powers to be decide she needs to go [u']and[/u] when a suitable buyer is found

I don't believe there is a correlation between the two. PRDM, now 28 yrs old, will leave when the powers to be decide she needs to go and when a suitable buyer is found

Good points Copper. AND didn't they just spend a LOT of money on her at her drydock? I think I remember reading that. Sounds to me like she may be around for a bit but....who knows?

We're waiting for the 2018 itineraries to come out. If she has one like the 2017 I see, will be sorely tempted ;)