Carnival Splendor will return to Long Beach

Applealex

the splendor is very unique since it is a one kind of class as it was not originally built for carnival cruise

Yes, Carnival Splendor was ordered as Costa Splendor, and is of the same class as Costa Concordia. Splendor's surviving sisters all sail for Costa (Serena, Pacifica, Favolosa, Fascinosa.

The Concordia class is basically a longer version of the Conquest class. The additional length allowed for larger spa facilities and more spa cabins. The other key difference is the pool structure, as the Concordia class features a retractable roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, Carnival Splendor was ordered as Costa Splendor, and is of the same class as Costa Concordia. Splendor's surviving sisters all sail for Costa (Serena, Pacifica, Favolosa, Fascinosa.

The Concordia class is basically a longer version of the Conquest class. The additional length allowed for larger spa facilities and more spa cabins. The other key difference is the pool structure, as the Concordia class features a retractable roof.

That was my point to those looking forward to a conquest class upgrade after Splendor. Though I've never sailed her, when she first came out I thought it was great that they moved the retractable roof from the aft pool to midship. Never liked the boxed in stern of the Destiny/Conquest class and the open stern of the Splendor seems to be the only structural difference from the Conquest Class.

I understand Splendor has her bad history on the west coast, and the fact that she's Concordia's sister is not a great selling point either, but near as I can tell a conquest class ship for the west coast would be a downgrade from Splendor.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I understand Splendor has her bad history on the west coast, and the fact that she's Concordia's sister is not a great selling point either, but near as I can tell a conquest class ship for the west coast would be a downgrade from Splendor.

One could argue that Splendor could be a downgrade from some Conquest class ships. Splendor doesn't have Guys, Blue Iguana, etc. which I would consider a huge selling point.

Thanks for the info. I learned something new today :)

We love the Splendor. The lido has a wide floor and a cover, which is really nice at night when the ship is going back up the Baja Peninsula.

The lobby has a dance floor, which has been covered up on many Carnival ships.

Too bad about Blue Iguana not being on the ship, but maybe I am the only person who didn't think much of Guy's Burgers. I thought they were pretty ordinary.

Bringing The Splendor back to LB shocks me because she did not have a good run sailing out of the West Coast.

In addition to the above she hit the Radiance of the Seas and then on a different sailing slammed into the rocks at Puerto Vallarta.

###

I watched it hit the Radiance from my Balcony. Good cruise, though.

Not even close.:eek: You couldn't be much more in error. Lido deck is completely different than the Conquest class "stadium seating" in the fore of the Lido. The entire aft pool deck is OPEN TO THE SEA on the Splendor, enclosed in glass and steel on the Conquest class (can't stand this).

Retractable roof closing on Carnival Conquest. Aft pool.

14359230_1379373412090234_5092312694011330062_n.jpg?oh=c3cae3a7a1553852674d2d47eeb08ba0&oe=583A74CE

I feel Like this thread is running in circles. In the interest of clarity:

Splendor was built after all of the conquest ships.

Though she was originally built for Costa, she ended up in the Carnival fleet.

Even though she is billed as a different class of ship almost everything below the Lido deck is the same foot print as the Conquest and her sisters.

Conquest class ships have a sliding dome on the Stern, on the Splendor the glass dome is over the midship area which is boxed in anyway.

Spa Cabins and upgraded spa experiences were first introduced on Splendor, and carried forward to the Dream and Vista classes.

So back to my original point that started this whole thing, a Conquest ship would be a downgrade from the Splendor in that she's a newer ship, her upper deck plans evolved in a way that improves both the midship and aft pools, there are more cabin options and the spa in nicer.

She did not get the branding (Guys, RF, BI, ect) but the spaces are still there offering the same type of experience and food.

If you guys on the west coast don't want her, we'd be happy to send you Freedom or Liberty from

Galveston and see Splendor home port fro there.

Spendor out of Long Beach was our best cruise. Loved all the dining options (I've never had 2.0 yet so I thought the options on splendor were great!).

I liked the LIDO layout and loved the little splashpark for my DD who was 5 at the time. In fact, so much so, that the Miracle afterwards felt like a major let down in comparison..

Confirmed by my PVP today, the Carnival Splendor will reposition to Long Beach in January 2018, trading places with the Carnival Miracle which will reposition to Tampa.

This is what I have been waiting for. Now I can book that 2018 Hawaii family cruise. :D

Patti

I feel Like this thread is running in circles. In the interest of clarity:

Splendor was built after all of the conquest ships.

Though she was originally built for Costa, she ended up in the Carnival fleet.

Even though she is billed as a different class of ship almost everything below the Lido deck is the same foot print as the Conquest and her sisters.

Conquest class ships have a sliding dome on the Stern, on the Splendor the glass dome is over the midship area which is boxed in anyway.

Spa Cabins and upgraded spa experiences were first introduced on Splendor, and carried forward to the Dream and Vista classes.

So back to my original point that started this whole thing, a Conquest ship would be a downgrade from the Splendor in that she's a newer ship, her upper deck plans evolved in a way that improves both the midship and aft pools, there are more cabin options and the spa in nicer.

She did not get the branding (Guys, RF, BI, ect) but the spaces are still there offering the same type of experience and food.

If you guys on the west coast don't want her, we'd be happy to send you Freedom or Liberty from

Galveston and see Splendor home port fro there.

I would take you up on that if it was up to me. I don't look forward to the Splendor coming west and won't cruise on it. Decor is hideous IMO and the history of that ship isn't good.

Confirmed by my PVP today, the Carnival Splendor will reposition to Long Beach in January 2018, trading places with the Carnival Miracle which will reposition to Tampa.

Interesting

On Sept. 10th, I asked my PVP if the Splendor would be repositioning to the west coast in January of 2018. He said they have not been given any information on that. (He has been a PVP for many years.) I did point on that the last scheduled day of cruising for both the Miracle and the Splendor was January 7, 2018 while all of the other ships had schedules through April of 2018.

No, they didn't give her Guys or Blue Iguana. Not sure about Alchemy Bar, but Guys and Blue Iguana aren't considered very popular with the Chinese cruisers and Splendor is going to China in a cpl years.

Interesting, because Spirit has Guys and Blue Iguana, and is due to sail in China during the northern summers. I wonder if Carnival will leave them in place or perhaps change them into something else - there's even a secret menu item specific to Australia at Guy's on the Spirit.

Interesting

On Sept. 10th, I asked my PVP if the Splendor would be repositioning to the west coast in January of 2018. He said they have not been given any information on that. (He has been a PVP for many years.) I did point on that the last scheduled day of cruising for both the Miracle and the Splendor was January 7, 2018 while all of the other ships had schedules through April of 2018.

I basically told mine the same thing and pointed out that I read it on CC too.

She is totally professional and did not confirm or deny.

She simply said I would be on her email list for a full transit

I would take you up on that if it was up to me. I don't look forward to the Splendor coming west and won't cruise on it. Decor is hideous IMO and the history of that ship isn't good.

I also don't care for the Splendor. Don't like how they set up for pictures right in front of the entrance to the DR.

We were on the ship when they couldn't get the gangway to connect in LB and it delayed disembarkation until about noon.

The only good things I can think of is the Tandoor grill and the Dive In movies.

If the Splendor comes back here, we will probably sail on it, but won't be too happy about it.

• 2 weeks later...
Wonder when Carnival will officially announce it? Would be nice to book a 2018 cruise on her again out of LBC.

Agreed. Told my wife a new ship is coming out to LB and she's pretty excited.

We've sailed the Imagination, the Inspiration, and the Miracle and now it's time for a new ship.