Did you ever see the doctor or fly home??

galleycook

I'm not taking sides but relaying what I know. I don't think she balked at the cost as much as was surprised there would be a charge considering the circumstances.

And the dehydration was not deliberate. Rather her daughter just couldn't keep anything down.

Are you saying that RCI should not have refunded the fares from the Feb trip as a result of the storm. Just curious as to the difference? And I'm asking just for discussion purposes.

Because there was a storm she thinks they were entitled to free medical care? :confused:

Hopefully she isn't holding her breath waiting for an answer. Girlfriend assumed the risk when she decided to board the ship knowing the storm was out there. She can't play the "poor me" card now!

Edited by VASOXFANN

Because there was a storm she thought they were entitled to free medical care? :confused:

Girlfriend assumed the risk when she decided to board the ship knowing the storm was out there. She can't play the "poor me" card now!

She didn't say that in so many words but my interpretation is, considering there are many people who have fallen sick as a result of the storm, why aren't they just waving the consultation fee.

Regarding your second point, as I've been suggesting, if the cruise line tells me, their number 1 priority is my safety, and they took my fare, it's their responsibility to live up to it. If they can't, cancel the cruise give me a refund and there will be no argument.

She didn't say that in so many words but my interpretation is, considering there are many people who have fallen sick as a result of the storm, why aren't they just waving the consultation fee.

Regarding your second point, as I've been suggesting, if the cruise line tells me, their number 1 priority is my safety, and they took my fare, it's their responsibility to live up to it. If they can't, cancel the cruise give me a refund and there will be no argument.

Wow! You have been a member of CC for over 9 years. Are you seriously asking these questions?

###

Upon arrival to the medical center she was told there would be a $149 (US) consultation fee.

The woman stated that this was unreasonable considering we all know what’s going on (the storm), this is extenuating circumstances, etc.

They eventually told her to give her daughter half a Dramamine and sent her on her way.

You say that told her to give her dramamine and sent her on her way. I seem to be missing where they actually charged her the fee.

Emergencies are emergencies. ER doctors and nurses deserve to be paid unless they actually caused the harm.

She needs to remember that the doctor and nurse were ALSO on that ship, dealing with exactly what she was dealing with, and don't deserve to leave that sailing without their pay.

It sounds like they did waive the fee.

Yeah, SURE there would be no argument. You can't prove how you would react in a different circumstance. If the sailing was cancelled that's HOW many thousand people with useless flight costs, unexpected hotel costs etc etc. People were dealing with all sorts of things to get in for their flights; they KNEW about the storm if they flew or drove in (and if they walked to the port they likely knew about it, too). Anyone who got onboard that ship was saying "I know there's a storm, it's already been unpredictable for nearly 2 weeks (it had been slated to go towards New Orleans if it became anything), and I'm getting on that ship".

I don't think the point is whether you can predict the weather or not. In this case, the passengers most likely knew of the storm. The cruise line certainly knew of the storm. The ball is in the cruise lines court.

The storm CHANGED on them. It kept zigging when it was anticipated to zag.

Not everyone was sick. Not everyone was scared enough to get off the ship. This is HER issue. SHE didn't want to pay the money. She didn't encourage her daughter to keep drinking water (my son as a baby had ROTA...twice...no matter how often they are losing their nutrients, you keep on feeding and watering them, because SOME of the liquid and nutrients will stay in there) strongly enough. She saw things that either didn't exist OR didn't exist all over the ship. She chose to leave.

If everyone was sick...then I can see it. But this was not everyone's issue.

And the dehydration was not deliberate. Rather her daughter just couldn't keep anything down.

Are you saying that RCI should not have refunded the fares from the Feb trip as a result of the storm. Just curious as to the difference? And I'm asking just for discussion purposes.

Never said the dehydration was deliberate, just that the mother bore some responsibility for the condition.

My reasoning is fairly straight forward: For one to have vomited enough to become so dehydrated that she could not move under her own power suggests a condition that lasted some time without attention. There are ways of improving hydration that do not involve drinking a lot of water. It does seem odd that the parent did not visit the infirmary sooner seeking some sort of anti-nausea treatment for her daughter.

There are substantial differences between the two situations. Very roughly, in the first, the ship made a (perhaps) questionable departure decision and had to turn back early, forcing plan changes. Hardly the same as adjusting an itinerary to avoid the worst of a storm.

Since you have been a member of Cruise Critic for 9 years...and not just on the on the Royal Caribbean board. I'm sure that you have seen other threads on Bermuda cruises, where passengers have decided to fly home instead of doing the return voyage. It doesn't seem to be that uncommon.

As far as her daughter's medical condition goes. I'm not a parent. I do know that mine would have paid whatever, and never would have worried about insurance. They would have sorted out insurance later if it was an option.

It was her decision to fly home, after her daughter had already recovered. I don't think the cruise line owes her anything for lack of enjoyment.

While I totally feel for anyone whose vacation is ruined by weather, I don't see how any of that is RCI's fault. Certainly she knew about Hermine before she got on board, so she could have decided to cancel her own trip, but there's no way RCI is going to just cancel the entire cruise at the last minute. I'm sure the captain did his best to avoid the worst of the storm, but this particular storm was completely unpredictable. Also, I didn't see any 40-50 ft waves in her video, so although I have no doubt it was a crazy rough experience, she casts doubt on her own story/judgment/experience by so flagrantly lying/exaggerating, which will be to her detriment if she's trying to build a legal case for reimbursement for the airfare. As for that, I'm sure you can already guess I'm not on her side on that one. She chose to get off the ship; RCI fulfilled their part of the contract because, besides the weather (which, believe it or not, they don't control), they would have completed the itinerary, getting to home port. It sounded like they did give her daughter free Dramamine? Other than that, could you imagine going to a land-based doctor and demanding free care because of the weather? I don't think $149 is unreasonable. I definitely would have paid it if I was concerned about my child's welfare. All that being said, I would be upset, too, if I looked forward to a big vacation and it was ruined by the weather, but I wouldn't then blame the weather on the cruiseline. She chose to get on the boat when she knew there was a hurricane/tropical storm. So she's culpable for that choice, not RCI.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

People need to research before they book a cruise. If you choose to book a cruise during hurricane season you have to be prepared for there to possibly be a hurricane or rough seas. Cruise line owes them nothing but the cruise that they paid for.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Analogize it to riding on a bus. You pay your fare and you expect the bus to follow the rules of the road, speed limits, stops signs, etc. You don't want the bus taking a corner so that it goes up on two wheels. You don't expect the driver to accelerate fast throwing standing passengers around. And if there is a torrential downpour, maybe the bus needs to pull over and wait it out before proceeding.

The ship needs to operate in similar fashion except as applicable to the seas. The transit company is not responsibly for traffic laws, road conditions or weather but they are responsible to follow the rules and adapt to any changing situations or conditions. Getting you to your bus stop after being knocked to the floor a few times is not getting you there safely. The cruise lines takes your fare, and they are responsible to operate in a fashion where safety comes first. I happen to agree, but this is what they say, not me

It appears people were physically injured on the ship and it would appear as a result of the rough seas. Not to mention the people that were nauseous and the side effects that go along with it. Safety implies, free from harm, risk, injury.

Now you are just being ridiculous. Our safety on Anthem was top priority. Injuries happen everyday on cruise ships whether there is weather or not. I have seen people fall when seas are perfectly flat. Accidents happen.

The Captain used all resources available to keep us safe. He adjusted his course to try to avoid the worst. If you had seen the map, you would have seen he basically went due east and then took a right turn, south. At one point, he adjusted to more southeast to try to get out of some weather.

While there were many people sick, there were just as many out and about enjoying what was available. We sat in the Solarium and watched the seas. We went to 270 to get lunch and see the wake. The place was packed with lots playing cards and socializing. We went to Jamie's for dinner and had a wonderful meal. The shows that had dancing and special effects were cancelled for safety reasons since the Captain did not want to have any performers hurt. Music Hall was rocking with the Journey Tribute band and other venues were still open.

People made the best of it. I feel bad for those who were sick, but even those people made the best of it. Read the review by lor74, they had a good cruise despite being down for the count for a day.

We were safe and to keep saying otherwise is just wrong. There are multiple reviews already posted from this cruise. None of those I have read focuses on weather. They are all honest accounts of what people experienced, both the good and the bad.

Analogize it to riding on a bus. You pay your fare and you expect the bus to follow the rules of the road, speed limits, stops signs, etc. You don't want the bus taking a corner so that it goes up on two wheels. You don't expect the driver to accelerate fast throwing standing passengers around. And if there is a torrential downpour, maybe the bus needs to pull over and wait it out before proceeding.

The ship needs to operate in similar fashion except as applicable to the seas. The transit company is not responsibly for traffic laws, road conditions or weather but they are responsible to follow the rules and adapt to any changing situations or conditions. Getting you to your bus stop after being knocked to the floor a few times is not getting you there safely. The cruise lines takes your fare, and they are responsible to operate in a fashion where safety comes first. I happen to agree, but this is what they say, not me

It appears people were physically injured on the ship and it would appear as a result of the rough seas. Not to mention the people that were nauseous and the side effects that go along with it. Safety implies, free from harm, risk, injury.

Very poor analogy with no connection. The drive of the bus operated the bus in a reckless manner without regard to passenger safety by his choice, and was not influenced by his environment and surroundings. The Captain did not operate his ship in a reckless manner and did all he could to ensure the safety of his passengers and ship in the face of circumstances and and environment he had no control over.

But believe as you wish.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Has anyone visited the doctor as a result of something that may be considered the ships fault (tripping on a buckled carpet resulting in an injury as an example) and was the doctor’s visit complementary?

In February my son fell while playing tag in Adventure Ocean and broke his wrist. They did cover all related expenses while onboard (visit, x-rays, pain medication). Luckily, it was the last night, so they also let us off the ship first in line the next morning to get him to the hospital.

Was there really an issue of safety? Yes, there was a storm and people got seasick. I'm not really sure there is a safety issue, outside of dehydration I guess. But even then she could go a few days before being in real danger. A few people got injured which may be storm related (or alcohol related, or just not taking proper care when conditions warrant it). Those people injured should get compensated for it, on an individual basis.

Really what the main thing here is a perceived view of safety. The mom was never in any danger. It may not have been as comfortable of a day or ride as it should have been, but it's not like the ship was in any real threat. Of course, perception often doesn't match reality.

She made the choice to fly back, as did others. That's their choice, I don't see why RCCL should be blamed for this, or have to compensate for it. Should the future be that for any bad weather, or for any reason, people can just cut their cruise short and the cruise line is responsible for it? No. Not in my view.

We've visited medical for two issues on two separate cruises. DD sliced her head in the pool requiring stitches. No charge. I sprained my knee playing volleyball (X-rays, a cane, and meds). No charge. Neither of the events could be attributed in any way IMO to negligence on Royals part.

I asked the doctor that saw me why there was no charge and she said any accident on the ship is covered at no charge. Illnesses aren't covered.

That being said, I think it would be a good will gesture if Royal handed out seasickness meds at no charge when they're in rough seas, but aren't required to.

A passenger that decides to end their cruise early should be expected to pay for the airfare to return. If Royal said "we are ending the cruise, everyone must fly home", they're responsible.

Edited by S.A.M.J.R.

Some years back my wife cut her foot while wading at Cococay. Bled some and the ship treated it for no charge. Stopped our dancing for the week though.Another time I stepped on a sea urchin-thought it would kill me, ships doctor looked at it and said it was fine-no charge. If it is there tour or island they get the charge.:)

We've visited medical for two issues on two separate cruises. DD sliced her head in the pool requiring stitches. No charge. I sprained my knee playing volleyball (X-rays, a cane, and meds). No charge. Neither of the events could be attributed in any way IMO to negligence on Royals part.

I asked the doctor that saw me why there was no charge and she said any accident on the ship is covered at no charge. Illnesses aren't covered.

That being said, I think it would be a good will gesture if Royal handed out seasickness meds at no charge when they're in rough seas, but aren't required to.

A passenger that decides to end their cruise early should be expected to pay for the airfare to return. If Royal said "we are ending the cruise, everyone must fly home", they're responsible.

You could get free sea sick medicine at guest services and outside of medical.

Did the ship not make it safely to Bermuda? And then safely back to Bayonne?

I checked. They made it.

Your bus comparison doesn't really apply because buses are not ships. A bus can pull over if something goes wrong. A ship can't. I wonder if the crazy lady in that video would've been complaining if they canceled the whole cruise. I can see it now: "Royal canceled my family cruise that I had been planning for months and my kids are just so sad! What a terrible cruise line!"

I am surprised a mother would balk at a small medical fee with a seriously ill daughter. Any emergency situation in which I have been involved in has usually proceeded on the basis of treat first, argue later.

Dehydration one could argue is as much the fault of the minding adult as the circumstances.

If a passenger elects to end their voyage, that is her choice. The cruise line has no moral or legal responsibility.

Why would a cruise line extend goodwill to someone who does not return the compliment?

and travelling from Canada she would have HAD to have some form of medical insurance that would reimburse her anyway and if she didn't, she's a moron.

I was on the Navigator a few years ago with my parents. In the middle of the night, my dad's face swelled up and he went to the medical centre. $1,500 later, after various tests and an x-ray, the doctor determined he had some kind of food allergy. I thought the fee was steep but my dad was reimbursed through his travel insurance. I know several people who travel without health insurance who, in my opinion, are asking for trouble. Personally, I have an annual travel/health plan as we cross over the border quite often. I would never leave home without it.

Check out the link from oneputt18. Then you will have it first hand.

Such as that is. :rolleyes:

Read this instead:

Well, I am not sure what she said in that time but some of your statements are false. The Captain did not just make the usual announcements, he recorded three extensive videos that played on the onboard tv. He showed us what our route was going to be and what his plan was based on the weather data he had. His second video showed us the course we took and the adjustment he made because the ship drifted more east than was predicted. His final video showed the course we were going to take instead of the usual course so we could avoid the remnants that were still out there. He also made many announcements telling us what was going on and apologized for the weather and gave us a time frame of when we would be clear of the worst of it.

As far as trying to go outside, he closed decks on one side so that people would not be on the windier side but could still go out. More was closed when it was worse. They lashed everything down as soon as we left Bayonne and even had a large crate marked fragile - glass, which was lashed down on the pool deck along side the lower wall of the flowrider, so they were prepared for damage.

The weather in Bermuda was not fine. Tuesday morning was rainy and led to many people not going off the ship until later in the day. They added more activities and opened an additional venue for lunch because so many stayed on the ship.

We heard of others that flew home from Bermuda. My mother talked to one man who said 5 of the 10 in his group got off the ship in Bermuda and flew home.

Many people were sick but there was not vomit all over the ship. I actually never saw any though I know one elevator we were on had recently had an issue because the floor had been washed and there was still and aroma.

People deal with stress differently. We saw one woman taking a hissy fit because a ship of 4,000 passengers did not have a checker board! Her husband then went to give someone at guest services a piece of his mind.:rolleyes: We were still playing cards in the library when he came back an hour later after a very serious discussion with someone in guest relations.:cool:

There is no way they are going to refund this woman her airfare because she chose to leave a perfectly good ship to fly home.

They do. They hand out meclizine (Bonine) like candy at Guest Services and down in the medical center.

(another reason that I find the Drama Queen's report suspicious. They don't give out Dramamine)

It occurs to me that while there may be free anti-nausea pills available for the asking at guest services, unless child doses are available it might not be a good idea to use them with a 10 year old. Especially one frequently vomiting.

I am not at home on my own computer (I'm cruising) or I would gladly post the picture of the display of meclizine in the medical center.

Just there for the taking.

I can also confirm this from past experience.

Enjoy your cruise, MM....:)

Edited by leaveitallbehind

consults for Norovirus are free many times. We got flyers 2X on cruises indicating if any gastro symptoms to go to medical for free treatment. Dehydration is not necessarily treatable OTC or by Mom without an IV. If patient continuously vomits everything up (ice chips, popsicle, etc.) for prolonged duration (even as short as 24 hours), it can be very dangerous and need an IV. DD did so and needed to go to ER in under 24 hours. They triaged her and could tell be her BP/pulse that she needed an IV ASAP.

Hmmmm. Taking a Bermuda cruise off our list!

Edited by elaine5