Is any day cruising better than not?

I wasn't expecting to book a RC cruise anytime soon....but I found one that would be a great deal for my family. It's a great deal because it is a 9 day cruise out of Baltimore in February with kind of a cruddy itinerary (Charleston, Port Canaveral, Miami, Grand Bahama Island, and Coco Key). I realize that it will be COLD at the beginning/end of the cruise, there is potential for rough seas, and that Grandeur is an older ship without many bells and whistles....however, I'm still thinking about booking this cruise.

I have been on five cruises total, only one on RC (Rhapsody in 2003--which we loved and was the best cruise). We loved Royal, but have sailed on Carnival more often, simply because of cost. I"m thinking this could be a great opportunity for us to get back on Royal again, even with the negatives listed above. I would be cruising with my husband and ten year old son. My son has cruised before and generally likes the kids club activities, as well as music/shows. I'm a little concerned that there would not be enough for him to do, especially since swimming would probably be out of the question for at least half of our trip. However, after looking at some Compasses, I think he would enjoy it.

My husband isn't 100% sold on the idea, partially because we have a cruise booked on Carnival for next fall (we would lose some $$ if we cancelled). He's not sure he wants to use 2/3 of his vacation time cruising (yeah, I don't know what is wrong with him either....)

I guess I"m just looking for some other opinions. Thanks in advance!

Meh' I'm with your husband on this one. It doesn't sound worth the money to me. It's a smaller ship, which I'm not interested in, and I know my daughter wouldn't enjoy. There are plenty of other places to spend vacation money than just cruising, and if the cruise isn't going to places you're excited about visiting AND the ship isn't that great AND it's gonna be cold AND you'll be canceling another trip that you know you'll like...sounds like a waste of money to me. But I know that many would disagree with me. Personally, I'd take him to Universal Studios, or take a land vacation to the beach in Costa Rica, Belize or somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would rather stay home than do this cruise.

Ever if it was 50% cheaper than anything else.

Small, old, lackluster ship, probably nearing the end of its RC days.

The itinerary is by far the worst I have ever seen.

Non of these ports qualifies as a cruise stop except Cococay, and that is not really very good.

I lived in South Carolina, and it is pretty cold in the Winter time.

Canaveral is jacket and long pants weather also.

Miami, really? What are you going to do there?

Save your money for something a little newer..........

Edited by matj2000

If your husband would have to use 2/3 of his vacation time and he's not super excited by the idea, it seems like a big shame to go on the cruise. If you BOTH loved cruising more than any other kind of vacation (even if the size and age of the ship wasn't ideal, the itinerary wasn't ideal, the time of the year wasn't ideal), maybe it's not a good move. I know that for me, if I don't use my vacation time in a way that's fulfilling and refreshing, I feel burned out when I go back to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by renaroo

Tell your husband to get a grip and do what he's told. :eek: It a good deal and in my opinion Carnival is for partiers. Do what you think is right. :cool:

Lol...my husband is the sweetest, and if I want to go, he will go. He is a good husband. We are not partiers, which may be why we are never completely satisfied with Carnival.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

DH and I lived in Maryland for 45 years, and I will tell you that February is the gloomiest month of the year. It's also the month when there's the most snow--usually. We also had years when February was shockingly mild. Go figure. That said, cruising out of Baltimore in February will most likely be cold. Just know what you're signing up for and wrap your heads around it. This itinerary, IMO, isn't bad. The only stop that I wouldn't even get off the ship would be Grand Bahama Island (Freeport.) It's a big nothing, IMO. Charleston is a beautiful and charming city, and it's easy to walk around. Port Canaveral would be a great opportunity to take your kids to the Kennedy Space Center, and Miami would be a good opportunity to take the kids on an Everglades tour. Cocoa Cay is a beach day. All in all, it's not a bad itinerary.

If you decide to book this cruise, I highly recommend you plan on driving to Baltimore at least one (preferably two) days before the cruise to protect yourselves in case a storm blows through. There is so much you can do in Baltimore around the Inner Harbor that is family friendly.

If you have any other questions, ask away. Also, you can check out the Ports Board under East Coast Departures for lots of info.

BTW, while Grandeur is an older/smaller ship, she is a lovely ship with a great crew. We enjoyed her very much.

Edited by KeywestK

I appreciate the replies, everyone! I should clarify--my husband does love to cruise and was actually excited at the thought of being in the Caribbean when it isn't 100 degrees. 75 degrees suites him just fine. I'm still not sure if we are going to book it or not. I'm going to take some more time to think about it. It really is dirt cheap (ie: about $50 pp per day).

I appreciate the replies, everyone! I should clarify--my husband does love to cruise and was actually excited at the thought of being in the Caribbean when it isn't 100 degrees. 75 degrees suites him just fine. I'm still not sure if we are going to book it or not. I'm going to take some more time to think about it. It really is dirt cheap (ie: about $50 pp per day).

There is a good chance it will not stay that cheap, so book it now if you can. You can always cancel it and get your deposit back, if you cancel before final payment. Just remember, final payment dates are now earlier than before, 90 days or longer depending on the length of the cruise.

If your expectations are appropriate you will enjoy it. for $50PP Per day for 9 days what is your other option? If you are looking at it as a get away from the cold with some dinner, drinks and shows you will have a great time. If you are expecting something equivalent to springtime in the Southern Caribbean you will be disappointed. See what he comes up with for similar price and decide. Price one with a better itinerary including air and hotel and see if he would rather do that. If his option is hanging out at home in the cold, go for sure!

And your original question - Is any day cruising better than not? We got stuck in port in Galveston for 4 days due to an oil spill. Still better than being at home.

Edited by JuliaMS

I appreciate all the feedback. Because it was so mixed, and because I was on the fence about many factors on the ship, I decided to do some more research. I found a cruise on Anthem for better dates (end of March/beginning of April) for only $200 more. Husband and I agreed that it is $200 well spent. Anthem will be, by far, the newest ship we have ever sailed on. I'm beyond excited! Plus, we can still drive to the port (albeit 2 more hours of driving, but who is counting?).

Thank you, thank you to everyone who gave me their honest opinion. It is much appreciated.

Ugh! Sorry to hear that! I hope your weather improves!

Thank you, I knew it would improve as soon as we made it to the Inside Passage. Last night was especially rough between 11-12with drawers coming open and me almost falling out of bed, but smooth water this morning! My stomach couldn't have taken much more. lol