HAL or Cunard World Cruise 2018

tgetz

We are booked on the HAL 2018 world cruise but the world cruise on QE also goes to South Africa and it includes Japan which is an area we have not been. I have posted this question on the world cruise board and again Cunard and so far all have suggested I try Cunard, so I thought I might try here, also. We do know Cunard is more formal, but understand their lecturers are better. HAs anyone sailed on a world or segments of a world cruise with Holland and Cunard, that would recommend HAL over Cunard and for what reasons. Any comparisons would be great. We are 4 star with Holland and book Pinnacle suites normally, but have only sailed once on Cunard on the Queen Mary in a Queens grill cabin. We woould do the same type of cabins for the world, but the ship would be the Queen Elizabeth. Thanks for any help. I have been reading many blogs that have been helpful and I did read theinsidecabin blog for 2016.

We are booked on the HAL 2018 world cruise but the world cruise on QE also goes to South Africa and it includes Japan which is an area we have not been. I have posted this question on the world cruise board and again Cunard and so far all have suggested I try Cunard, so I thought I might try here, also. We do know Cunard is more formal, but understand their lecturers are better. HAs anyone sailed on a world or segments of a world cruise with Holland and Cunard, that would recommend HAL over Cunard and for what reasons. Any comparisons would be great. We are 4 star with Holland and book Pinnacle suites normally, but have only sailed once on Cunard on the Queen Mary in a Queens grill cabin. We woould do the same type of cabins for the world, but the ship would be the Queen Elizabeth. Thanks for any help. I have been reading many blogs that have been helpful and I did read theinsidecabin blog for 2016.

Queen's Grill in QUEEN ELIZABETH!!!! Without a second thought!

Mary2? Just too big and I think the ELIZABETH is, by far, more beautiful.

Queen's Grill? What are you waiting for? You know what Cunard formal style is and is definitely how best enjoy the World Cruise.

I can't say what about HAL on the World. Last one I did was in 1995 in the old ROTTERDAM. Perfection! Four 1/2 WC with Saga. Will have to they build their new ship in 2019.

I am thinking about packing and 'formal'. Sailing on Sunday in Saga Pearl down to the Med for 18 days. Just finished putting five ties and two bow ties in the suitcase. ;-)

Stephen

Another vote for CUNARD!

We did the 21-day Australia segment of QM2's world cruise a few years ago and it was great. Cunard always has a nice variety of speakers, most excellent (OK, there is an occasional clunker) and they get packed houses. Even a little 6-day cruise will have speakers. But they put on more speakers for the WC. Speakers are often matched to the countries you're sailing to--history, culture, etc, rather than some random doctor with a canned lecture about how to avoid a heart attack.. The longest HAL I've done is 10 or 11 days, and there were no speakers at all, which is disappointing.

I haven't done a full WC, but I understand Cunard has some special activities/perks for people who do book the whole thing.

And if you're going QG, I think the corner afts are QG!

I don't know about the food on the QE, but the food on the QM2 would be a deal killer for me. I would go with HAL. Since you have sailed on the QM2, you are familiar with the food and if it satisfies you, then I think the QE is your choice. Of course, you could always take another cruise to Japan!

I don't know about the food on the QE, but the food on the QM2 would be a deal killer for me. I would go with HAL. Since you have sailed on the QM2, you are familiar with the food and if it satisfies you, then I think the QE is your choice. Of course, you could always take another cruise to Japan!

What was the problem with food in the QM2? I did not find any complaint with that on board. Of course the food can be 'spotty' with on any ship.

Mary is just to big to enjoy on a long cruise. A week or two, fine, but three months... NO! Small ships are best for World. Last thing you want to do is stand in line at every port.. for three months. ELIZABTH or VICTORIA... very beautiful ships. AMSTERDAM is also good for the long cruises, but I think you might look at what is offered with entertainment and with good lectures, way to go.

Another vote for CUNARD!

We did the 21-day Australia segment of QM2's world cruise a few years ago and it was great. Cunard always has a nice variety of speakers, most excellent (OK, there is an occasional clunker) and they get packed houses. Even a little 6-day cruise will have speakers. But they put on more speakers for the WC. Speakers are often matched to the countries you're sailing to--history, culture, etc, rather than some random doctor with a canned lecture about how to avoid a heart attack.. The longest HAL I've done is 10 or 11 days, and there were no speakers. at all, which is disappointing.

I haven't done a full WC, but I understand Cunard has some special activities/perks for people who do book the whole thing.

And if you're going QG, I think the corner afts are QG!

My bolding. I am in position to compare Cunard to HAL for a World Cruise as we have done neither, but comparing speakers on HAL on an 11 day cruise and an 21 day on another line is like comparing apples to oranges.

Why do I say this? On shorter cruises (usually port intensive),there are not the lecturers you will find on longer cruises.

We've done a number of HAL cruises now of 20, 30, 31 and 33 days and the lecturers were excellent. Standing room only, literally. People sitting on the stairs.

HAL does have some very good lecturers but other than the Panama I haven't seen them on the shorter cruises. They are aplenty on the longer ones :)

OP - I have heard raves about the Queens' Grill from CC friends :). What a way to do a World Cruise :)

We are avid cruisers but time away from family on a World Cruise won't be too soon.

However , just the chance of having smokers on neighboring balconies , for that long , would steer us to cruise Cunard for sure .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by MCC retired

My bolding. I am in position to compare Cunard to HAL for a World Cruise as we have done neither, but comparing speakers on HAL on an 11 day cruise and an 21 day on another line is like comparing apples to oranges.

Why do I say this? On shorter cruises (usually port intensive),there are not the lecturers you will find on longer cruises.

We've done a number of HAL cruises now of 20, 30, 31 and 33 days and the lecturers were excellent. Standing room only, literally. People sitting on the stairs.

HAL does have some very good lecturers but other than the Panama I haven't seen them on the shorter cruises. They are aplenty on the longer ones :)

OP - I have heard raves about the Queens' Grill from CC friends :). What a way to do a World Cruise :)

My point was that Cunard has a strong commitment to providing good "content" and plenty of it on ALL their cruises. Friends were on a QM2 cruise that was only 6 days, and Cunard provided speakers for the sea days. In addition to lectures, Cunard also offers more dance lessons than I've seen on HAL. Sometimes there are art lessons. There even are fencing lessons (I think that's Victoria) and on QM2's TAs and WC, they have acting lessons with graduates of RADA. On sea days on HAL, I sit on my balcony and read. I'm OK with that, I know what I'm getting on each line. But Cunard definitely provides more to do during the day.

My point was that Cunard has a strong commitment to providing good "content" and plenty of it on ALL their cruises. Friends were on a QM2 cruise that was only 6 days, and Cunard provided speakers for the sea days. In addition to lectures, Cunard also offers more dance lessons than I've seen on HAL. Sometimes there are art lessons. There even are fencing lessons (I think that's Victoria) and on QM2's TAs and WC, they have acting lessons with graduates of RADA. On sea days on HAL, I sit on my balcony and read. I'm OK with that, I know what I'm getting on each line. But Cunard definitely provides more to do during the day.

We've always had speakers on our HAL transatlantics too :)

Certainly sounds like Cunard is more diverse.

To follow-up on Kazu's point which I believe was you can't judge speakers or activities on a HAL world cruise based on your experience on shorter HAL cruises. While its nice Cunard provides those amenities on shorter cruises, the OP's question is about comparing world cruises. The WC may not be different to a shorter cruise on Cunard but it is on HAL. The differences cover speakers, entertainment, food and even crew. I would suggest the OP review this link to get a feel for just some of the night time activities (under World Cruise Ref tab) as well as the daily programs. This link is to Pete's Inside Cabin review of the 2016 WC.

http://www.theinsidecabin.com

Would definitely do the Cunard cruise. HAL is good but seems to be slipping a bit in recent years. Japan is one of my favorite countries, even though it will be a bit cold at that time of year. It is a wonderful country with unbelievably friendly people, fabulous transportation options, a mix of new and old with great respect for each.

What was the problem with food in the QM2? I did not find any complaint with that on board. Of course the food can be 'spotty' with on any ship.

Mary is just to big to enjoy on a long cruise. A week or two, fine, but three months... NO! Small ships are best for World. Last thing you want to do is stand in line at every port.. for three months. ELIZABTH or VICTORIA... very beautiful ships. AMSTERDAM is also good for the long cruises, but I think you might look at what is offered with entertainment and with good lectures, way to go.

Food is so subjective, so what we like or dislike is just personal to us. We were in the Princess Grill on the QM2. For the most part, we found the food to be rather bland, with some notable exceptions - like the rack of lamb! Delicious! However, did not enjoy the breakfasts - the eggs seemed tasteless and the sausage not to our liking. Really disliked the Kings Court. it smelled like a steam table, which of course it is. But none of the dishes looked appetizing. Much preferred HAL's Lido buffet, and, to me, it doesn't smell like a steam table.

The QM2 is a wonderful ship, and it sliced through the Force 8 waves like a knife through butter, but I agree that I would not want to be on it for a long cruise. For one thing, it is too large to get into some of the more interesting ports. I just don't see where Cunard is a hands-down experience over HAL, particularly on the Amsterdam's World Cruise and the special attention provided thereon (as has been reported). Just my opinion, though.

Having done WC on HAL in 2008, 2010, 2012, and 2014 and WC on Queen Victoria in 2016. Think I am qualified to compare. Cunard must be slipping also as talks with frequent Cunard WC tablemates . Some things that I did not like on Cunard. Evening clothes in dining room were less formal than expected. Several men wore unusual jackets, IE wind breakers and other lesser jackets. Ladies much more formal. Segments were what ever you wanted often coming on board one day and leaving 2 nights later. It really was like a hop-on hop-off bus. Lounge area for full world cruisers was often used by people that were not full world. How did I know, I watched them board with there luggage the day before. Food was so so at best Had meat so tough could not cut. Fish very good, so ate that most often. Lets just say having payed a premium price for WC and having so much less I was not a happy camper. Not all was bad. Music around ship was wonderful The harpist was excellent as well as the piano players. Shows were some good some bad. Being in the grills may be better as you have separate part of ship to yourself. As for me I am booked on the HAL 2018 world cruise and will not be going back to Cunard for any future cruises.

I've sailed several WC segments on QE/QV and one on HAL. I think the food is a wash, possibly a step up to Cunard in Grills (although I've never been there). I would say Cunard's enrichment on my 12 and 15-day segments was better than on my 27 day Amsterdam segment. For me it would be something of a wash between the smaller Amsterdam and the better enrichment on the Queens.

I would really choose based on the itinerary I preferred.

Roy

Having done WC on HAL in 2008, 2010, 2012, and 2014 and WC on Queen Victoria in 2016. Think I am qualified to compare. Cunard must be slipping also as talks with frequent Cunard WC tablemates . Some things that I did not like on Cunard. Evening clothes in dining room were less formal than expected. Several men wore unusual jackets, IE wind breakers and other lesser jackets. Ladies much more formal..

Interesting observation on the clothes. On the Mary, I found that the women were not dressed as formally as I would have thought. I didn't see many gowns. But I don't think I saw any man not in a tuxedo.

You've convinced me that a World Cruise on Cunard is not what I want, either. The HoHo segments would take a lot out of the experience. We have no intention of returning to Cunard. We are grateful for the experience, but once is enough.