Gratuities going up..

Bruin Steve

We pre pay our gratuities even before we sail now.

IMHO for us, with the increase of gratuities there was a decrease in service.

On our last cruise the service was slow and spotty. It was obvious that they were short staffed in the MDR and other areas.

Heck the 24 hour International Cafe' wasn't open 24 hours. Ummm...but I was welcomed to help myself to day old pastries on a table outside of the glass case.

What I really wanted was in the glass case, so if I wanted to wait until 6am I could have it then. This was @ 5:30 AM. Okay, I took 2 pastries back to the room and was shocked on how stale tasting they were.

Quantity of personnel cutbacks were obvious to a lot of passengers

I just felt this time that Princess, on this cruise, didn't come through. Something was definitely wrong and yes I said so on the questionnaire. :)

I think the Decrease in Service is because of all the cutbacks in the personal.

My cabin steward was killing him self just to keep up. One time I said to him sit down and take a break he just smiled and said he couldn't. It's the same in the MDR the service is slow because of the same cutbacks in personal.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
if you prepay the gratuities by 12/14/16, princess will not raise your gratuity charge to the higher rate.

Actually, it is November 15, 2016.

From my email:

"Additionally, booked passengers have the opportunity to prepay their daily gratuities at the current gratuity amount through November 15, 2016 at 11:59PM PST."

But by virtue of being a passenger, you have a reserved seat and reserved staffer in the MDR, that you are responsible for. If you choose to forgo this it is your option, but you are still responsible for your reserved spot and staffer.

Besides:

1) People are still serving you at alternate dining in different ways, and you are responsible for them. You are eating somewhere.

2) If the $3.50 or $4.00 per day that your MDR waiter gets from your $13.50 charged gratuities is 15% of your cruise fare, SEND ME THE NAME OF YOUR TRAVEL AGENT!

I understand what you are saying, but never knew this. We were asked about a dining time like we had time pick one. We usually only do MDR on elegant nights. I guess now I know to cancel. I wonder why you can't choice this when you book?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

But by virtue of being a passenger, you have a reserved seat and reserved staffer in the MDR, that you are responsible for. If you choose to forgo this it is your option, but you are still responsible for your reserved spot and staffer.

Besides:

1) People are still serving you at alternate dining in different ways, and you are responsible for them. You are eating somewhere.

2) If the $3.50 or $4.00 per day that your MDR waiter gets from your $13.50 charged gratuities is 15% of your cruise fare, SEND ME THE NAME OF YOUR TRAVEL AGENT!

What about those who do anytime dining? Do they also have reserved seats and staffers?

Edited by RocketMan275

Currently, those who tip are carrying those who don't.

That's correct and in addition we are carrying the countries that don't tip. That's why Princess collects the auto gratuity at corp level and disburses the money across all the different class of ship . Our money does not go to the same ship we sailed on, it's pooled at corp level and then distributed. I don't care for their system of carrying others, I do believe I should pay my own share so will reduce my auto gratuity to $10 PP PD and use cash to those that I feel went above for me. I'm working on the assumption that since I did use the auto gratuity (adjusted to $10) the cash I give can be kept by the crew member.

Edited by cruzsnooze

Here is my question:

Our next cruise is April 2017, we will have $1100 OBC. If we prepay gratuities is there a way that we can use our OBC for that? If not, we would be better off waiting to pay on board with OBC.

Does anyone have the answer to this, would sure appreciate the input.

Do not prepay your gratuities! Your OBC will be on your account by the second day of the cruise if not before and then your gratuities will be charged daily. Also, if you have booked any Princess tours do not prepay them either. They will then be charged to your onboard account also and your OBC will cover them too. I always use up any and all OBC this way using it for gratuities if charged, tours, drinks, speciality dining, etc. Have a great cruise!

Pooh

What about those who do anytime dining? Do they also have reserved seats and staffers?

If you reserved anytime dining (and not just doing it as an alternate to a booked traditional dining) than your reserved person is the different server you'll have each night! The reserved seat and staffer is the one you are using... in this case "reserved" in the sense of staffing head count and seat count. "Reserved" doesn't have to mean a particular person, obviously, in this case. So yes, you are still occupying a "reserved" seat and staff.

Edited by yuccaman

If you reserved anytime dining (and not just doing it as an alternate to a booked traditional dining) than your reserved person is the different server you'll have each night! The reserved seat and staffer is the one you are using... in this case "reserved" in the sense of staffing head count and seat count. "Reserved" doesn't have to mean a particular person, obviously, in this case. So yes, you are still occupying a "reserved" seat and staff.

Essentially, all you're saying is that there is a seat and a server for everyone. I'm not sure there is a lot of meaning in that.

We find the MDR to be loud, crowded, and otherwise less than appealing. Consequently, we rarely dine there. In that case, who is our "reserved" server and where is our "reserved" table?

Also, if you have booked any Princess tours do not prepay them either. They will then be charged to your onboard account also and your OBC will cover them too. I always use up any and all OBC this way using it for gratuities if charged, tours, drinks, speciality dining, etc. Have a great cruise!

Pooh

Beginning with summer 2017 cruises all shore excursions will require pre-payment to reserve them before arriving on the ship. We'll still be able to use OBC to book & pay onboard but not to book in advance & pay with OBC. :(

My TA forwarded her email from Princess & ALL tours will require prepayment beginning Summer 2017.

Dear Travel Partner,

Award-winning shore excursions have always made Princess cruises even more memorable. So it’s no great surprise that guests who purchase excursions directly through Princess rate their overall cruise experience higher than those who do not.

I’m pleased to announce two important shore excursion developments that Princess Cruises® will roll out fleetwide soon.

Best Price Guarantee

If your client pre-purchases a shore excursion and finds the same excursion elsewhere at a lower price, they receive 110% of the price difference in the form of a non-refundable onboard credit.

Best Price Guarantee will go into effect December 5, 2016 for all trades, excluding ports in Asia, Southeast Asia or Japan.

Pre-Purchase

Starting with Summer 2017 voyages, shore excursion reservations will require pre-payment.

Moving to pre-purchase for shore excursions brings us in line with standard industry practice and ensures the spots are only held by guests with firm interest.

We believe these programs will make it even easier for you to offer your clients the experiences that enable them to come back new®. Click here to learn more.

Thank you for your ongoing support. Please do not hesitate to contact your Business Development Manager with questions.

Best regards,

John

John Chernesky

Vice President

North America Sales

Princess Cruises and Cunard Line

This link shows additional information on the prepayment (including cancelation policies) & price guarantee:

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/excursions.jsp?utm_campaign=SE6SX002_Agents_US&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Eloqua&utm_source=BRAND&utm_medium=EMAIL&utm_campaign=OTHER&utm_content=SE6SX002&elqTrackId=322dc87879ee42588c1fd7e69b247fe8&elq=fca66a4a92b64940b6ee11a5fd631190&elqaid=4768&elqat=1&elqCampaignId=5761

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=51471422#post51471422

Edited by Astro Flyer

That's correct and in addition we are carrying the countries that don't tip. That's why Princess collects the auto gratuity at corp level and disburses the money across all the different class of ship . Our money does not go to the same ship we sailed on, it's pooled at corp level and then distributed.

My understanding is that it is pooled, but not at the corp level.

On the other hand, both you and I are anonymous internet

posters, and can pretty much say anything -- as other threads

on cruise critic have shown.

That's correct and in addition we are carrying the countries that don't tip. That's why Princess collects the auto gratuity at corp level and disburses the money across all the different class of ship . Our money does not go to the same ship we sailed on, it's pooled at corp level and then distributed. I don't care for their system of carrying others, I do believe I should pay my own share so will reduce my auto gratuity to $10 PP PD and use cash to those that I feel went above for me. I'm working on the assumption that since I did use the auto gratuity (adjusted to $10) the cash I give can be kept by the crew member.

I suspect both of your assumptions are incorrect.

Essentially, all you're saying is that there is a seat and a server for everyone. I'm not sure there is a lot of meaning in that.

We find the MDR to be loud, crowded, and otherwise less than appealing. Consequently, we rarely dine there. In that case, who is our "reserved" server and where is our "reserved" table?

Even though you responded to my original post, I guess you didn't read it.

As I said in my ORIGINAL post... that staffer is reserved and allocated to you (whether traditional or anytime), and you are expected to be responsible for them, tip wise. If you don't use them it's on you, your choice, yet you are still responsible for them. Even if you dine alternatively, at the buffet, you are still responsible for those that were allocated to you (and you decided not to use), plus those at the buffet who end up serving you in one way or another.

Part of cruising is accepting the fact that these staffers are indeed allocated for each person. If you don't use them, it's up to you, but you are still responsible for those allocated to you. If you go to a comedy club with a two drink minimum, and don't drink the drinks, or get sodas instead, you are still responsible for the drink cover charge. If you go on a ship, you are responsible for the persons allocated to you, even if you *think* you don't use them.

Edited by yuccaman

We are catching the price increase.

We view the gratuity as a basic charge. We include it in the price we pay for the cruise. We would not consider removing it.

It does not matter whether we like it or agree with it or not. The fare is the fare. We either accept it, or pick another cruise/ship/cruise line or vacation option.

I thought that if I did that' date=' the dining crew had to turn in the extra and the amount would be repaid to the automatic amount before dining team got the extra.[/quote']

My understanding is whatever you hand someone in an envelope is theirs to keep? Is this wrong? Do they have to turn it over to be shared?

My understanding is whatever you hand someone in an envelope is theirs to keep? Is this wrong? Do they have to turn it over to be shared?

The way it's always been explained to me is that when we keep the auto tip in place then the person we give extra cash to gets to keep it.

The crewmember always asks for our name & cabin number to add it to the envelope to be able to confirm our auto tip status. That's why I now add our name & cabin # along with a thank you note with our additional cash tip when we feel it's appropriate.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Even though you responded to my original post, I guess you didn't read it.

As I said in my ORIGINAL post... that staffer is reserved and allocated to you (whether traditional or anytime), and you are expected to be responsible for them, tip wise. If you don't use them it's on you, your choice, yet you are still responsible for them. Even if you dine alternatively, at the buffet, you are still responsible for those that were allocated to you (and you decided not to use), plus those at the buffet who end up serving you in one way or another.

Part of cruising is accepting the fact that these staffers are indeed allocated for each person. If you don't use them, it's up to you, but you are still responsible for those allocated to you. If you go to a comedy club with a two drink minimum, and don't drink the drinks, or get sodas instead, you are still responsible for the drink cover charge. If you go on a ship, you are responsible for the persons allocated to you, even if you *think* you don't use them.

Nor, did you read what I said: "Essentially, all you're saying is that there is a seat and a server for everyone. I'm not sure there is a lot of meaning in that."

January 2016 from $11.50 to $12.95

Pretty soon the gratuities will be more than the cruise fare. :eek:

Of course another way to look at it is that it is less than $4 per person for a one week cruise. That is less than the free pizza and ice cream cost. :)

Nor, did you read what I said: "Essentially, all you're saying is that there is a seat and a server for everyone. I'm not sure there is a lot of meaning in that."

Yeah, I read it. What does that even mean, "I'm not sure there is a lot of meaning in that"? It just shows that you DON'T get the premise that you have resources allocated to you, which you are responsible for still, even if you choose not to use them.

Edited by yuccaman

I asked the person in charge of crew pay on a recent Princess cruise and was told that the tips collected on a ship are only distributed to that ship.

Yeah, I read it. What does that even mean, "I'm not sure there is a lot of meaning in that"? It just shows that you DON'T get the premise that you have resources allocated to you, which you are responsible for still, even if you choose not to use them.

No, I "DON'T get that premise" for a very simple reason. It's a matter of the definition of "reserved". A definition of "reserved" is "kept specially for a particular purpose or person." When you say that resources are "reserved" for you, you are saying that those resources are set aside and no one else can use them. That is clearly not the case. If I don't show up for anytime dining a seat that I could have occupied is given to someone else. It does not set vacant, it is not set aside, anyone who shows up can have that seat. There is no "Reserved" sign on a seating waiting for me.

Really what you're saying is that a portion of your fare and gratuities are allocated to support some features whether you use them or not. Those resources are "available" to you but they are not "reserved" for you.

I recognize that I unless I pay for things that I may not use, they won't be available should I desire to use them. For example, even though I almost never use the MDR, I still maintain the standard gratuities, a portion of which goes to the MDR staff, because I might decide to use it.

I recognize that I unless I pay for things that I may not use, they won't be available should I desire to use them. For example, even though I almost never use the MDR, I still maintain the standard gratuities, a portion of which goes to the MDR staff, because I might decide to use it.

YES, thank you! You did get what I was trying to say, even though I'm sorry that you got hung up on my wording!

It's just that many of us who leave our gratuities on, no matter what, get tired of paying for those who rationalize all kinds of reasons for not paying it (removing it). I was just trying to express that resources are allocated to them, no matter how it's worded, and if they don't use them they are still responsible for them. Those paying and playing fair are tired of subsidizing the rationalizers.

YES, thank you! You did get what I was trying to say, even though I'm sorry that you got hung up on my wording!

It's just that many of us who leave our gratuities on, no matter what, get tired of paying for those who rationalize all kinds of reasons for not paying it (removing it). I was just trying to express that resources are allocated to them, no matter how it's worded, and if they don't use them they are still responsible for them. Those paying and playing fair are tired of subsidizing the rationalizers.

Completely agree.

There are those who will use any excuse or rationalization to reduce/remove gratuities. I used to argue with them. Now, I just call them cheap and move on.