Next cruise booking and price drop

kearney

Okay, I need help understanding something. Just signed up for another cruise while on Allure. We have sailed 15-16 times on RCCL and have never done this before. I am under the impression that if there is a price drop they will match, if before 90day full payment period. Okay fine.

I usually book over the phone after doing a number of mock bookings using the website.

Something seems to have changed. Sometime in the last two months the pricing on the website has changed. It used to be that you would select, say balcony... then select say deluxe ocean view and you would see a series of cabins on various decks.. all with the same pricing. So if you had signed up with next cruise... it was easy to see if their had been a price drop.

Now when you hit ocean view balcony, the next screen gives you a choice of bow, aft or midship... and the pricing can vary by section. Once you select the section of the ship you want... the next screen shows different decks and again different pricing.

Flash forward say two months... lets say they have a great sale. I go back into the website but all ocean view balcony's on the aft of the ship on say deck 11 are gone but their are plenty say on deck 9. Will they match the price or will they allow me to change cabins..? not sure how this works.

I worked in marketing for 40 years.. from that perspective I think what they have done is positively brilliant and should improve profitability by charging more for popular locations. But from a customer perspective they seem have removed a benefit of next cruise program. If there is no real way for me to get a price break I might as well hold off, book later and take a chance on precise cabin location. Am I missing something here? As I have said I have not used next cruise before. I usually book less than 2 months prior to the cruise so I pay full price then. I pick a cruise based on getting a good price, ship and destination. This time I paid a few hundred more than I usually do anticipating that I would likely get that back if I just paid attention to the sales. The extra $ is really not that big a deal, I just spend less on the ship.... Just wondering 1) is the change I noticed new or did I somehow miss the pricing differences by deck and part of the ship and 2) if it is new any ideas on how the price matching will work going forward for those who signed up on board.... sorry for the long message hope I am clear

The design of their site is fairly new. It looks like they are pricing it by location but the prices are actually just like they used to be, by stateroom category. If the same category that you have goes down in price before final payment you should still be able to get prices drops unless it is a sale for "new bookings only" which they seem to have a lot these days.

The design of their site is fairly new. It looks like they are pricing it by location but the prices are actually just like they used to be, by stateroom category. If the same category that you have goes down in price before final payment you should still be able to get prices drops unless it is a sale for "new bookings only" which they seem to have a lot these days.

Okay cabin class does make sense. But I swear that when I booked in the past an ocean view balcony was the same price regardless of location... when I looked on the website. I can't believe I overlooked that... being as cheap as I am :)

Okay, I need help understanding something. Just signed up for another cruise while on Allure. We have sailed 15-16 times on RCCL and have never done this before. I am under the impression that if there is a price drop they will match, if before 90day full payment period. Okay fine.

I usually book over the phone after doing a number of mock bookings using the website.

Something seems to have changed. Sometime in the last two months the pricing on the website has changed. It used to be that you would select, say balcony... then select say deluxe ocean view and you would see a series of cabins on various decks.. all with the same pricing. So if you had signed up with next cruise... it was easy to see if their had been a price drop.

Now when you hit ocean view balcony, the next screen gives you a choice of bow, aft or midship... and the pricing can vary by section. Once you select the section of the ship you want... the next screen shows different decks and again different pricing.

Flash forward say two months... lets say they have a great sale. I go back into the website but all ocean view balcony's on the aft of the ship on say deck 11 are gone but their are plenty say on deck 9. Will they match the price or will they allow me to change cabins..? not sure how this works.

I worked in marketing for 40 years.. from that perspective I think what they have done is positively brilliant and should improve profitability by charging more for popular locations. But from a customer perspective they seem have removed a benefit of next cruise program. If there is no real way for me to get a price break I might as well hold off, book later and take a chance on precise cabin location. Am I missing something here? As I have said I have not used next cruise before. I usually book less than 2 months prior to the cruise so I pay full price then. I pick a cruise based on getting a good price, ship and destination. This time I paid a few hundred more than I usually do anticipating that I would likely get that back if I just paid attention to the sales. The extra $ is really not that big a deal, I just spend less on the ship.... Just wondering 1) is the change I noticed new or did I somehow miss the pricing differences by deck and part of the ship and 2) if it is new any ideas on how the price matching will work going forward for those who signed up on board.... sorry for the long message hope I am clear

you can change anything you want before final payment. You just pay the current going rate

Okay cabin class does make sense. But I swear that when I booked in the past an ocean view balcony was the same price regardless of location... when I looked on the website. I can't believe I overlooked that... being as cheap as I am :)

OV balconies have had different categories with different pricing as long I can remember. Voyager class in 1999 had E1, E2, D1, D2, D3, etc.

On the Allure there are 5 different OV categories F, G, H I and Y. They may or may not be priced the same.

Sorry thought you were looking at OV's not OV balconies. On the Allure they are classified as D1- D8. They usually have different pricing

Edited by molly361

Even after you've made your final payment you can get a price adjustment if the cabin price drops only it will be in the form of an OBC. I always keep checking the prices after I've paid because you never know....and something is better than nothing.

Even after you've made your final payment you can get a price adjustment if the cabin price drops only it will be in the form of an OBC. I always keep checking the prices after I've paid because you never know....and something is better than nothing.

I don't think this is true.....as far as I know they don't do this anymore and haven't for awhile.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Gwen :)

I am always surprised people have problems figuring out the new website - nothing has changed with pricing! All cabins in one category have the same pricing regardless of location!

BUT if you want to be in the middle of the Ship category A which is the cheapest - might not be available in that location any-more - so they indicate +XX$ - because you will be booked in a higher category - if you insist on that location...very simple and no change in the pricing structure!

Just go back and forth and check what the lowest that is available and what category it will book into.....then you will see what you get if you change location and $$ amount...it will be a higher category ...

Edited by germanfflyer

OV balconies have had different categories with different pricing as long I can remember. Voyager class in 1999 had E1, E2, D1, D2, D3, etc.

Little off topic dumb question. I was on the Voyager and Explorer 1st yr each sailed. Wasn't the Categories listed like D9 on deck 9, D10 on deck 10?

Little off topic dumb question. I was on the Voyager and Explorer 1st yr each sailed. Wasn't the Categories listed like D9 on deck 9, D10 on deck 10?

No, E category was E1 & E2, D category was D1 & D2, but the suites were letters, too. C was junior suite, B was grand suite, A was owner's suite. I think that Royal Suite was RS even then. :)

That's my fuzzy memory's recollection. ;)

Not with Royal Caribbean EVER!

I don't think this is true.....as far as I know they don't do this anymore and haven't for awhile.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

They just did it for me yesterday. I made my final payment on Tuesday and did a mock booking yesterday just for the fun of it to see if the price had dropped and it did. The difference was only $64 but they gave me an OBC for that amount. I was happy since they refused to give me price adjustments on two other occasions before I had made my final payment. I really think it's who you get on the phone. Some reps will just flat out tell you sorry that price only applies to new bookings. Others will go the extra mile and check with their "Resolution Supervisor".

They just did it for me yesterday. I made my final payment on Tuesday and did a mock booking yesterday just for the fun of it to see if the price had dropped and it did. The difference was only $64 but they gave me an OBC for that amount. I was happy since they refused to give me price adjustments on two other occasions before I had made my final payment. I really think it's who you get on the phone. Some reps will just flat out tell you sorry that price only applies to new bookings. Others will go the extra mile and check with their "Resolution Supervisor".

Then, congratulations....you are very lucky they did that. Tell us who you talked too. Curious minds want to know. I am about to make final payment next week on my Dec. cruise.

I want to get what you got, if I have a price drop. :p;)

Then, congratulations....you are very lucky they did that. Tell us who you talked too. Curious minds want to know. I am about to make final payment next week on my Dec. cruise.

I want to get what you got, if I have a price drop. :p;)

Her name was Karina at the main # 866-562-7625. Be persistent. If one rep tells you no call back and speak to someone else.

Thanks everyone for the info. I never realized that ocean view balcony had different pricing based on deck. When I used the older version of the website I just did not notice price difference. Now I know better. I like to be near the aft elevator, since my husband has walking issues.... so frankly any deck would do. So now I know I can save in the future.

Thanks everyone for the info. I never realized that ocean view balcony had different pricing based on deck. When I used the older version of the website I just did not notice price difference. Now I know better. I like to be near the aft elevator, since my husband has walking issues.... so frankly any deck would do. So now I know I can save in the future.

Pricing is based on category, which may seem to be related to deck but is based on other factors too. You may see the same category stateroom on two or more different decks.

No, E category was E1 & E2, D category was D1 & D2, but the suites were letters, too. C was junior suite, B was grand suite, A was owner's suite. I think that Royal Suite was RS even then. :)

That's my fuzzy memory's recollection. ;)

Sorry, yes did know the Suites A B C but could have sworn when Voyager Class came out the balcony D1-D2 now use to be D8 if on deck 8, D9 on deck 9. No biggie, thanks!... My 1st cruise in 1988, "Worlds largest cruise ship" THE Sovereign of the Seas, at the time no balconies in any cabins. But now every time I go to doctor with new ailment she says, 'Well you did just turn 50" 3 times in last yr! Now the memory...

Was it final payment as in it HAD to be paid by then. Or did you just pay off the cruise on your own before the last payment was actually due?

Was it final payment as in it HAD to be paid by then. Or did you just pay off the cruise on your own before the last payment was actually due?

That's what I think she means, too. She had already paid it off, and, yes, they'll give you a refund or OBC (your choice), but not if its past RCI's "final payment due date," i.e. 90 days out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

One thing to be aware of also is if you have promotional OBC (from Royal). Not just the OBC you get from booking on board. You will get to keep your on board booking obc but any promotional obc will go away.

It has been a while since I have been able to get a price drop on my current cabin after final payment. I can upgrade my cabin and get a lower price if it is available.

My final payment was actually due today, the 17th. I chose to pay it off earlier in the week as I didn't want to miss the date. Maybe that's why they gave me the credit? I have had similar luck on NCL with getting an OBC when the price has dropped after the final payment due date. In any event, I'm going to keep checking for price drops and will call them if one appears. It never hurts to ask.