Credit Card limit on ships?

kaylaakentt

Hey all, sailing in November on Anthem. I know when you get on the ship you give a credit card for your spending money so I'm curious if there is a limit? I'm wanting to give my $500 CC so I'm not worried I'm spending way too much. Do they accept any cards? Or is there a certain amount your card has to be for? Thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Forums mobile app

As long as it is a credit card it should work, they won't know the limit. just be aware that they might put a hold on the card also, along with the actual charge at the end. If the limit is low you might not be using the card for a while. i still have "pending charges" on my card from August 28th reducing my limit.

it is YOUR responsibility to keep within your budget/credit card limit.

they will not know until they attempt to run the charges through the last night what your limit is, and if your card is declined, you will NOT be permitted to disembark until you go down to guest services and pay it off.

I have never had a hold put on my Credit Card, now a Debit Card they will. What I am hoping to do on our next cruise, is near the end of the cruise, is go down and pay toward the bill with the cash we will take. During your cruise you can check your acct from your TV or go to Guest Relations and get a print out. My husband does this 2 or 3 times during our two week cruises to compare charges to see if there is any discrepancies.

If you are worried about going over budget, just stop by guest services each day for a print out of your folio, and adjust your spending accordingly.

There is no need to go to guest services to see what your spending is as most ships have interactive tv that you can see your account from the tv in your cabin. The OP is also sailing Anthem, so they can see their charges on the Royal IQ app on their phone.

You can always do a cash account, if you don't want to use a credit card. They allow you to spend up to $500, at which time you'll need to give them cash....Or, you can put $500 down and when it's gone, you'll have to stop spending....but that's up to you, as they will still allow charging beyond that...they will call as ask for more money.

It really IS up to you to control yourself!!!

I have never had a hold put on my Credit Card, now a Debit Card they will. What I am hoping to do on our next cruise, is near the end of the cruise, is go down and pay toward the bill with the cash we will take. During your cruise you can check your acct from your TV or go to Guest Relations and get a print out. My husband does this 2 or 3 times during our two week cruises to compare charges to see if there is any discrepancies.

Surprising how people don't know that holds are on both credit and debit cards. When you rent a car using a credit card or debit a hold is put on the account. Hotels pout holds on. Gas stations put holds on. Most people with credit cards never see them because they don't look at there statements between payments.

Surprising how people don't know that holds are on both credit and debit cards. When you rent a car using a credit card or debit a hold is put on the account. Hotels pout holds on. Gas stations put holds on. Most people with credit cards never see them because they don't look at there statements between payments.

I check the AmEx and Visa I use for my purchases every morning and have never seen holds or my credit line affected by them. I believe credit cards they typically only verify the card is active and there are sufficient funds at that moment to cover the amount being charged, whereas with debit cards they actually place a hold in the account. I never use my debit card except as an ATM card, so I can't say for sure if this is accurate.

I check the AmEx and Visa I use for my purchases every morning and have never seen holds or my credit line affected by them. I believe credit cards they typically only verify the card is active and there are sufficient funds at that moment to cover the amount being charged, whereas with debit cards they actually place a hold in the account. I never use my debit card except as an ATM card, so I can't say for sure if this is accurate.

The merchant (in this case RCL) has the ability to put a hold on any non-cash transaction. whether they do or not for credit card transactions is a different question. Also, you won't necessarily see a hold on a credit card even if there is one applied. The cc companies aren't required to show holds.

I have my AMEX set so that I receive an alert every time a transaction is processed when my credit card is not present. I received an email every night from AMEX on my last cruises showing me a charge has been processed from the ship and my remaining available credit. When the cruise line processed my payment on the last night of the cruise, all those holds disappeared.

I use a few citi cards and they show the holds on the website. if you are close to the limit on the card, the holds + the charge will mean the amount available for purchases is 0. In my case the particular card I used had a limit of 17k. I put 15k worth of charges on it before I had guest services swap out the card. I had 15k in holds which I still have (over three weeks later), and when the actual 15k charge hit I had zero availability until I paid the card down by 15k.