Mattress topper request?

LHARTWICK

I just purchased an air mattress like one pictured above... it arrived today and despite reading many reviews about how simple it is to inflate... with maybe 10-12 breaths... I did not find it to be that easy. A quick trip to the bathroom, used my blow dryer on cool setting, and it was inflated in less than one minute. Deflated easily and rolled up, put back in storage bag, and ready to go! So, not going to worry about the phantom egg crate that will not show up even though they promised in an email that it will...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just purchased an air mattress like one pictured above... it arrived today and despite reading many reviews about how simple it is to inflate... with maybe 10-12 breaths... I did not find it to be that easy. A quick trip to the bathroom, used my blow dryer on cool setting, and it was inflated in less than one minute. Deflated easily and rolled up, put back in storage bag, and ready to go! So, not going to worry about the phantom egg crate that will not show up even though they promised in an email that it will...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the heads up - I will definitely bring my blow dryer that has a cool setting. Great idea :D

• 2 weeks later...
Our room steward did confirm there were no more egg crate mattress toppers. He did accommodate us in putting more blankets as padding and that helped tremendously.

What ship was this on? We are sailing oct 29th on Anthem and we're contemplating purchasing blow up mattress toppers for our trip [emoji1360]

Thanks!

Glen

Edited by Gabling

We just got back from the Explorer. I requested mattress toppers at special needs dept. two weeks before. They were about 2" thick, pillow-top pads that matched the mattress. Still firm, but much better! E-mail them prior to your sailing; they're very helpful and confirm that you will have toppers. :p

Did the special needs and got the email that said it would be on the bed. Well it was not, the steward was asked and he said he would take care of it. We got a comforter under the sheet, minimally better but the beds on adventure are not good, HARDER THAN ROCKS.

What ship was this on? We are sailing oct 29th on Anthem and we're contemplating purchasing blow up mattress toppers for our trip [emoji1360]

Thanks!

Glen

This was on Adventure of the Seas.

I did the whole email special needs department like one week before my trip too.

Did the special needs and got the email that said it would be on the bed. Well it was not, the steward was asked and he said he would take care of it. We got a comforter under the sheet, minimally better but the beds on adventure are not good, HARDER THAN ROCKS.

I'm so sorry that it didn't work for you. I don't intend to sail on RCL again until they do something about those horrible beds. I think of all the wonderful sleep I've had on other lines and this was our first time with Royal so very disappointed as well. I understand that they changed the beds across all of the ships:eek:

Rainey

We were on the Sept 23 sailing on the Explorer. We had the worst sleep of all our 36 cruises. My husband was up at 3 am and went and soaked in an open hot tub to try and ease the pain in his back. The cabin steward said they no longer offer egg crate toppers. He said he would add another pad to our bed. That helped. But we still woke up in the morning in pain. I tossed all night. It didn't help that the pillows were all lumpy! Like sleeping with marbles on your face. I was very happy to get home to my cozy bed.

Edited by LovetheSea

RCCL needs to follow PCL's lead and replace all of their bad mattresses. PCL used to have horrible mattresses. On our cruise in May, it was one of the best. A bad night's sleep - or none at all - is horrible, especially on a cruise when you're exhausted like I am at the end of the day.

Most of the ships have "pillow top" mattresses...check and see if you need a topper!

Even JS on Anthem are supposed to have 'luxury pillow top mattresses'. My bed was hard.

Do not take their word that the mattresses are 'pillow top'. Request a topper in advance, or bring your own.

100% agreed that Royal needs to seriously consider changing all of their mattresses. I have said this before, and will say it again (also because I am somewhat in the hospitality industry) that hotels know and fully understand the importance of a good night sleep to their guests. There are so many people complaining about back pain and hard as rock mattresses, you'd think RCI would take notice by now. If they can't (or won't) replace the mattresses, they need to figure out an interim solution like putting egg crate mattress toppers inside a sheet that can be laundered if they are worried that they are not hygienic.

I am on the Freedom next month and have purchased my own "mattress topper" thanks to the recommendation of another CC poster. I am bringing it with me as it will guarantee a great night's sleep and it only weighs a pound and rolls up super compact. If you want to take a closer look, here it is:

http://www.klymit.com/static-v2.html

One man'shard mattress is another's "welcome support".

Fact is there are as many people who welcome a firm mattress as those who prefer something else.

My wife has never slept better than on RCI ships with their mattresses. In speaking with numerous orthopedic experts (we have 2 that are personal friends)....they'd tell you that a firm mattress is actually much better for most people in terms of their back support and comfort.

Obviously not everyone has that same perspective...which is just fine. We'll never request a topper.

There is firm, and then there is rock hard with no give at all......

It is hit or miss on Royal, mostly miss.

I have sailed in every cabin type from inside to Royal Suite and the best mattress I ever slept on was the inside cabin - this was a few years ago, but if they could only replicate THAT mattress, this thread would be non-existent!!

ckrobyn: Does it really roll up to the size of a soda can? I've read about this one on these boards, but haven't purchased one. I sail Sunday, so it's too late to get one, but let us know how it works for you! Thanks!

I will definitely let you know how it works out!

It is bigger than the size of a soda can, but not by much!

Have a great cruise :)

The beds are so bad! We now take floats and blow them up and ask our stateroom attendant to be sure and place them under the bottom sheet each night! Honestly, there is no way we would have a great vacation with no sleep. The attendant doesn't like it much but maybe if they complain RCCL will do something about it!!

I wish Royal Caribbean would do better than they do with the beds! I've sat on concrete that was more comfortable.

There is firm, and then there is rock hard with no give at all......

It is hit or miss on Royal, mostly miss.

I have sailed in every cabin type from inside to Royal Suite and the best mattress I ever slept on was the inside cabin - this was a few years ago, but if they could only replicate THAT mattress, this thread would be non-existent!!

I agree the last couple of beds have been way beyond firm. Please report back on the freedom beds we will be on board in December. :)

CRUISEFAN0001: My grandfather also preferred a very firm mattress. I never understood why and he didn't see how I could want one so soft. To each their own I guess! :)

Exactly.

Given the choice...firm is better for backs...but...people have a variety of preferences nonetheless.

RCCL needs to follow PCL's lead and replace all of their bad mattresses.

It is my understanding that this is precisely what has happened. From my understanding RCI made a YUUUUUGE new mattress purchase to replace most of the mattresses on most of the ships last year. Problem is, whoever made that purchase chose unwisely. I don't know if it was price or just an unlucky choice but from what I understand, most of these [insanely hard and uncomfortable] mattresses ARE brand new.