Andy Stuart now CEO NCL

TheDougOut

Exactly, Del Rio is a reported micromanager and even personally picks out the art work that will be displayed onboard the ships. I've said it before and I'll say it again- Stuart might be conducting the band but he's following a score written by Del Rio.

OMG was just on the Breakaway and 90% of the art work is TERRIBLE LOL I cant believe anyone woukd buy it

I agree with the above, just a shell game.

For all we know, Mr. Stuart has been running NCL and making these policy changes that folks haven't liked. Everyone blames Mr. Del Rio, but no one really knows; like most companies the President of the company makes the decision and only goes to their superior if it is a real major change, which none of these have been. As soon as Mr. Sheehan left, the communication (which was dismal under his realm) got worse and that actually could be the way Mr. Stuart rolls. Just because Mr. Stuart worked under Mr. Sheehan doesn't mean that he was 100% behind the way he did things; we usually only see the differences when one takes over for the other.

As mentioned Del Rio has publicly taken the credit for the changes. I personally have no reason to doubt him, but even if the decisions are Stuart's he's making them from the script provided to him by Del Rio and he likely has little latitude to stray from said script.

I never believe the "reasons" stated in corporate press releases. Someone where I used to work often said about those statements that so-and-so resigned "to spend more time with his/her family" -- everybody would like to spend more time with their family, but no one wants to spend all their time with their family...

There was the time in '85 when Big Paul Castellano was removed from his position so he would spend zero time with the Family...

The more I think about this situation; the more I want to know - WHO made the descion (or suggestion) to move Stuart and the like to CEO roles and out of COO roles.

That is where the motives lie.

IF and that is a big IF FDR suggested/mandated/whatever that stuart and the like be moved to a CEO position AND he is as big of a micro-manager as believed. That would mean he is trying to create a buffer between his actions and his career. He is aligning up the proverbial chickens for slaughter. "They are the CEOs of the line, they are not performing, our stock is dropping they need to be cut" would be the line - not saying this is the case, but it is plausible.

IF and again that is a big IF, it was the board who mandated they become CEOs then its a power move. Again the old model FDR as CEO of holding and multiple COOs of each line was the traditional model for a hierarchy in the corportate world. This could be seen as a shot over the bow to Del Rio - We do not like what is happening to our stock prices, you've made changes and don't let the COOs run their lines step back.

Lastly I again reiterate - it could be a business as usual and just a shell game with the titles and positions to give the impression that things are changing for the positive. Just reassign some roles to give a specific impression (change is coming) to tied over the storm and eventually we will replace the unhappy people and gain the rich fat ones who could care less.

This has been what I've been thinking, but leaning towards the first scenario. It buys time - put someone else "in charge" and if things go bad, there is a someone to take the blame.

As mentioned Del Rio has publicly taken the credit for the changes. I personally have no reason to doubt him, but even if the decisions are Stuart's he's making them from the script provided to him by Del Rio and he likely has little latitude to stray from said script.
A good head of a company will stand behind his/her personnel and will stand up for each and every change that company makes. You are assuming that Mr. Stuart was told to do all the specific changes by Mr. Del Rio. Mr. Del Rio probably made an overreaching mandate to increase revenue or make things more like this or that, but I think like most every company in the world, those underneath come up with the plans and implement them (just as I don't think Mr. Stuart is coming up with the actual plans, his staff members are). If the changes work, Mr. Stuart's staff members get praise from him, as he does from Mr. Del Rio, but if they don't work Mr. Stuart's staff members get the wrath from him, as he does from Mr. Del Rio. Some may feel that Mr. Del Rio spends all his time dealing with minutia, but I doubt that happens IMHO.

A good head of a company will stand behind his/her personnel and will stand up for each and every change that company makes. You are assuming that Mr. Stuart was told to do all the specific changes by Mr. Del Rio. Mr. Del Rio probably made an overreaching mandate to increase revenue or make things more like this or that, but I think like most every company in the world, those underneath come up with the plans and implement them (just as I don't think Mr. Stuart is coming up with the actual plans, his staff members are). If the changes work, Mr. Stuart's staff members get praise from him, as he does from Mr. Del Rio, but if they don't work Mr. Stuart's staff members get the wrath from him, as he does from Mr. Del Rio. Some may feel that Mr. Del Rio spends all his time dealing with minutia, but I doubt that happens IMHO.

From all that I've read about Del Rio minutia is his life. But as richstowe pointed out as a practical matter at the end of the day it doesn't really matter who's decisions they are- if they work, good, if they don't, bad. It's not the decision makers or the decisions themselves keeping me from sailing NCL, it's the fares.

Let us not forget that many of the disruptive changes made in the past year or so involve generation of onboard revenue.

And we need to remember that Del Rio put his son in charge of onboard revenue.

Just a reminder in case of any doubt regarding who is responsible !!!!

Agreed, but certain posters just will not admit the blindingly obvious and smell the coffee. Since FDR came on board, the changes to the NCL product have been almost completely revenue-raising and non-customer friendly (and poorly communicated).

Agreed, but certain posters just will not admit the blindingly obvious and smell the coffee. Since FDR came on board, the changes to the NCL product have been almost completely revenue-raising and non-customer friendly (and poorly communicated).
Steve, I think most feel that some of the changes are for revenue raising and very, very poorly communicated, but not all of them are customer unfriendly to many.

Steve, I think most feel that some of the changes are for revenue raising and very, very poorly communicated, but not all of them are customer unfriendly to many.

You really do not get it do you?

Step back from your personal preferences and how the changes affect you personally, and look at the bigger picture. Customers have been being systematically shafted over the last two years and there is no sign that this trend is changing.

If you are happy to be shafted repeatedly - fine - carry on. I have seen the trends and I do not like them. I have moved on to other lines that treat customers as customers, not cash cows. It saddens me to see the way that NCL has gone - I used to be a loyal customer of theirs - no more.

I shall continue to post my dislikes of the NCL trends because people need to have these things pointed out to them.

You really do not get it do you?

Step back from your personal preferences and how the changes affect you personally, and look at the bigger picture. Customers have been being systematically shafted over the last two years and there is no sign that this trend is changing.

If you are happy to be shafted repeatedly - fine - carry on. I have seen the trends and I do not like them. I have moved on to other lines that treat customers as customers, not cash cows. It saddens me to see the way that NCL has gone - I used to be a loyal customer of theirs - no more.

I shall continue to post my dislikes of the NCL trends because people need to have these things pointed out to them.

What you don't seem to understand, is that I'm not being shafted. Out of all the changes, the only one I would reverse is the number of days on the new SDP to the whole cruise, like it use to be, but even saying that the to purchase the SDP is still a deal versus paying the fixed price in Teppanyaki and Moderno. Otherwise, none of the changes effect me and no real additional cost. NCL, to me, is the same cruise line now that it is when I started cruising and maybe that is because I don't eat lobster, don't care about a hippo slide, don't do room service, have always tipped cash when I got the UDP or UBP, etc. Just because some feel shafted, it doesn't mean that everyone feels that way or should feel that way.

I hope you will continue to post your dislikes, etc., because I do enjoy discussion with you, but keep in mind that others will still disagree with you if what you are posting has no effect on them.

What you don't seem to understand, is that I'm not being shafted. Out of all the changes, the only one I would reverse is the number of days on the new SDP to the whole cruise, like it use to be, but even saying that the to purchase the SDP is still a deal versus paying the fixed price in Teppanyaki and Moderno. Otherwise, none of the changes effect me and no real additional cost. NCL, to me, is the same cruise line now that it is when I started cruising and maybe that is because I don't eat lobster, don't care about a hippo slide, don't do room service, have always tipped cash when I got the UDP or UBP, etc. Just because some feel shafted, it doesn't mean that everyone feels that way or should feel that way.

I hope you will continue to post your dislikes, etc., because I do enjoy discussion with you, but keep in mind that others will still disagree with you if what you are posting has no effect on them.

With respect, you have missed my point completely. Some changes affect some folks (to a greater or lesser extent). My point is about the overall trend of NCL's changes being generally customer unfriendly.

One day they will do something which seriously impacts your cruise experience - I shall be interested to see what your reaction will be at that time.

With respect, you have missed my point completely. Some changes affect some folks (to a greater or lesser extent). My point is about the overall trend of NCL's changes being generally customer unfriendly.

One day they will do something which seriously impacts your cruise experience - I shall be interested to see what your reaction will be at that time.

Didn't miss the point, Steve, as my opinion is that I don't feel that the overall trend is customer unfriendly and I can only go by how it effects me. If it affects you as customer unfriendly, then that is your opinion. Not everyone sees things the same or paints them with the same brush. We just look at things differently. I think in some of the changes, it givens customer as choice if they want to spend money on that or not.

I've been on a number of lines before I ended up with the three I only cruise on and I've had experiences that were not to my liking. I didn't write letters, I didn't call and complained, I just found another place to spend my money. Did I get calls from some wanting me to book a cruise, sure, but all I said was that I was not interested. If NCL, Celebrity or Crystal were to change something that impacted me to the degree that it ruined my cruise (like only serving fish LOL), I wouldn't cruise with them and you would probably never know.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Didn't miss the point, Steve, as my opinion is that I don't feel that the overall trend is customer unfriendly and I can only go by how it effects me. If it affects you as customer unfriendly, then that is your opinion. Not everyone sees things the same or paints them with the same brush. We just look at things differently. I think in some of the changes, it givens customer as choice if they want to spend money on that or not.

I've been on a number of lines before I ended up with the three I only cruise on and I've had experiences that were not to my liking. I didn't write letters, I didn't call and complained, I just found another place to spend my money. Did I get calls from some wanting me to book a cruise, sure, but all I said was that I was not interested. If NCL, Celebrity or Crystal were to change something that impacted me to the degree that it ruined my cruise (like only serving fish LOL), I wouldn't cruise with them and you would probably never know.

So you are saying you can't empathize with others and see that their experience has changed and been degraded?

I don't eat lobster, yet I can understand how people would feel that this negatively impacts their cruise, same as taking away Nickolodean, my kids are 18 so don't care about it anymore, but I can see that it's upsetting to others.

I think in some of the changes, it givens customer as choice if they want to spend money on that or not.

This comment only makes sense if the the base price is lowered and then there were options to spend ones money where they liked.

Charging the same price, or in most cases, more money and receiving less included for those dollars is NOT customer friendly.

And yes we are all aware that if it does not affect you personally it does not matter. You continually point out, in thread after thread, how you are not affected by any of the changes...which is great for you. But the way you post comes across like there is something wrong with the poster who does feel that these changes affect their overall cruise enjoyment. As polite as you may be in your wording that they should look elsewhere to spend their vacation dollars..you are still just saying "if you don't like it bye bye" which is dismissive and rude.

Some of the changes over the last year or two affect me, but honestly most don't, that does not mean that I cannot empathize with those who are affected by those changes. I would never dream of criticizing some one else for how they feel about something and the way it affects them.

It can be quite humbling to walk a mile in someone else's shoes. Perhaps you should try it.

Rochelle

So you are saying you can't empathize with others and see that their experience has changed and been degraded?

I don't eat lobster, yet I can understand how people would feel that this negatively impacts their cruise, same as taking away Nickolodean, my kids are 18 so don't care about it anymore, but I can see that it's upsetting to others.

I base my opinions and spend my money on how things affect me and others can base their opinions how it affects others or just themselves. When I post on here, I voice my opinions and it has nothing to do with anyone but me. Do I understand that some are upset by some of the changes, sure and I don't think I've ever told someone that they couldn't get upset, I just voice my opinion about it. Do I feel sorry for some that can't have lobster, sure, but it is not going to change how the changes affect me. I'm not speaking for anyone but me, if others want to speak for the whole cruising population (even though I don't see how they can, because not everyone things the same), so be it.

I am very empathetic, I feel that there's no point in posting if the only thing that matters is your own experience and your own opinion. If someone is posting to other empathetic people, then it's a one-way street, because the expectation is that they will listen and absorb your opinions but you aren't doing the same back. If you're posting to other people of the same mindset, you're both just on send mode and not getting anything out of it.

It is all fascinating to me and it's given me a different read on some posters.

Now back to the thread, I am very hopeful that the new CEO of NCL will make positive changes to the cruising experience of everyone that steps onboard their ships. They have a lot of mending to do, and I want them to succeed, right now they are struggling.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

This comment only makes sense if the the base price is lowered and then there were options to spend ones money where they liked.

Charging the same price, or in most cases, more money and receiving less included for those dollars is NOT customer friendly.

And yes we are all aware that if it does not affect you personally it does not matter. You continually point out, in thread after thread, how you are not affected by any of the changes...which is great for you. But the way you post comes across like there is something wrong with the poster who does feel that these changes affect their overall cruise enjoyment. As polite as you may be in your wording that they should look elsewhere to spend their vacation dollars..you are still just saying "if you don't like it bye bye" which is dismissive and rude.

Some of the changes over the last year or two affect me, but honestly most don't, that does not mean that I cannot empathize with those who are affected by those changes. I would never dream of criticizing some one else for how they feel about something and the way it affects them.

It can be quite humbling to walk a mile in someone else's shoes. Perhaps you should try it.

Rochelle

I've never said that someone can't be disappointed, upset, mad, etc. at the changes if the affect them. The reason I say if someone doesn't like something go some where else, is because that is what I would do and just voicing my opinion on that. I did it with Royal Caribbean (my first ever cruise) and Princess (my third and fourth ever cruise and I never looked back). I'm sorry you find it dismissive and rude, but that is not the intention.

I feel sorry for those that the changes effect, but do you want me to stand up and fight for something I don't believe in? If that is the case, I guess I should have stood up for those that wanted to continue to smoke on their balconies, because that did affect some. I don't believe I have ever criticized someone for the feelings, I just voice my opinion and have always said that folks are allowed to voice their opinions and that we all have different opinions and I'm sorry that you don't feel that anyone who disagrees with you or doesn't have the same issues as you can voice their opinion.

When I'm in a situation that has an impact to someone's life, I've walked a mile in there shoes many times, but not going to put on those shoes for lobster, the hippo side, etc. because I save my shoes for real significant issues that deal with helping others...you might want to try that.

Rochelle, if you don't like how I write, what I write, what my opinion is, etc., that is fine, as there are a some posters I feel the same and some of them I just ignore. And thank you for saying I'm polite, because it is pretty hard to stay polite with some of the posters on here, but I do it because I feel that they have just as much right as I do to voice their opinions.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I've never said that someone can't be disappointed, upset, mad, etc. at the changes if the affect them. The reason I say if someone doesn't like something go some where else, is because that is what I would do and just voicing my opinion on that. I did it with Royal Caribbean (my first ever cruise) and Princess (my third and fourth ever cruise and I never looked back). I'm sorry you find it dismissive and rude, but that is not the intention.

I feel sorry for those that the changes effect, but do you want me to stand up and fight for something I don't believe in? If that is the case, I guess I should have stood up for those that wanted to continue to smoke on their balconies, because that did affect some. I don't believe I have ever criticized someone for the feelings, I just voice my opinion and have always said that folks are allowed to voice their opinions and that we all have different opinions and I'm sorry that you don't feel that anyone who disagrees with you or doesn't have the same issues as you can voice their opinion.

When I'm in a situation that has an impact to someone's life, I've walked a mile in there shoes many times, but not going to put on those shoes for lobster, the hippo side, etc. because I save my shoes for real significant issues that deal with helping others...you might want to try that.

Rochelle, if you don't like how I write, what I write, what my opinion is, etc., that is fine, as there are a some posters I feel the same and some of them I just ignore. And thank you for saying I'm polite, because it is pretty hard to stay polite with some of the posters on here, but I do it because I feel that they have just as much right as I do to voice their opinions.

I don't think anyone was asking you to stand up and fight for someone else. You are very clear in stating your opinion. In your above statement you just made you said. "I've never said that someone can't be disappointed, upset, mad, etc. at the changes if the affect them." but in a thread started today (you can find it here) about the changes someone noticed on their recent cruise, in post #4 you quoted them and then point by point highlighted how your opinion differs. In the same thread another poster has a list of all the changes that have been implemented over the last two years (post #17) and once again you have quoted and gone through and highlighted how this is unimportant and it does not affect you.

I would not call this letting others have their opinion if you 'argue' with anyone whenever they may post how the changes do affect them. In fact in that thread about changes, which you state have no affect on you and you do not care about, you have posted almost twice as much as anyone else. Why post so often if it means so little to you? Why not just let those that perceive and are experiencing a difference just have their say. In fact I think the OP was very clear in their posting that there was no one thing that was make or break but an overall perception of the numerous changes that have occurred in particular to the quality of food.

I do believe everyone should have the right and opportunity to express their own opinions and experiences. I also don't think they should have to have their posts gone through and picked apart by someone who's opinion differs.

That's just the way I see things.

Rochelle

I don't think anyone was asking you to stand up and fight for someone else. You are very clear in stating your opinion. In your above statement you just made you said. "I've never said that someone can't be disappointed, upset, mad, etc. at the changes if the affect them." but in a thread started today (you can find it here) about the changes someone noticed on their recent cruise, in post #4 you quoted them and then point by point highlighted how your opinion differs. Yes and my opinion did differ, but if you read my whole post I said: I certainly understand how these things could be an issue for you, but to look at it from another side (see my notes in red), they are not an issue for everyone. There are always going to be changes, some we will like and some we won't, but a cruise line doesn't make changes or not make changes for just you or me based on our likes or dislikes (if they did, there would be no fish or shellfish served on a ship I'm on). Now, if they were to say, there wasn't going to be any beef anymore, then that would be an issue for me. Where did I say they can't be upset mad, etc.?In the same thread another poster has a list of all the changes that have been implemented over the last two years (post #17) again, I gave my opinion on the changes and said: If everything on the list is an issue for someone, it is a great reason to find another cruise line that has all those things and I would respect their decision to do that. For me, there is only one change that I would prefer if it was reversed (see the green response), otherwise none of the others don't affect me in any way shape or form. I understand cruise lines don't make changes (and all the lines I cruise on have made changes) just to keep me happy, they do it from their business perspective and I either live with the changes or I don't...my choice, not theirs. Where did I say someone couldn't be disappointed, upset or mad? and once again you have quoted and gone through and highlighted how this is unimportant and it does not affect you.

I would not call this letting others have their opinion if you 'argue' with anyone whenever they may post how the changes do affect them. In fact in that thread about changes, which you state have no affect on you and you do not care about, you have posted almost twice as much as anyone else. Why post so often if it means so little to you? Why not just let those that perceive and are experiencing a difference just have their say. In fact I think the OP was very clear in their posting that there was no one thing that was make or break but an overall perception of the numerous changes that have occurred in particular to the quality of food. And I see the arguing on the other side, like you are doing now, because I have a different opinion. When someone disagrees with a few on here (not saying you are one of them), they are attacked, accused of things that are totally untrue and called names. Now what kind of forum would it be if everyone thought alike. Is there an amount that you can post, don't you think some get tired of the post by those that are always complaining. I also notice that you have never called out someone who agrees with you with regard to their number of posts.

I do believe everyone should have the right and opportunity to express their own opinions and experiences. I also don't think they should have to have their posts gone through and picked apart by someone who's opinion differs. And this is what you did to mine and has been done in the past by others, so it happens on both sides. I see that some on here, who have issues with the changes, only wants negative posts, I feel differently.

That's just the way I see things.

Rochelle

And that is the way I see things....there should be opinions and comments from both sides, not just one. Obviously we differ on a lot of issues, which is fine, I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion about anything just voicing mine, so let's just agree to disagree. Edited by NLH Arizona

From all that I've read about Del Rio minutia is his life. But as richstowe pointed out as a practical matter at the end of the day it doesn't really matter who's decisions they are- if they work, good, if they don't, bad. It's not the decision makers or the decisions themselves keeping me from sailing NCL, it's the fares.

We can adjust if the fares are right.

I choose cruises based on the value for myself, not the value for others. Is that narcissistic, too? No. I think it sucks when something that someone values gets yanked away. But we all value different things, and people need to respect that. I think most do. Then there are other posters who seem mad when some of us aren't mad...

It doesn't seem that what SuiteCruiser and NLH are saying is really that different.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I just don't understand how some of you enjoy dissecting cruise lines and the companies for 51 weeks out of the year just to cruise for one week.

It's just plain odd. Very odd, actually.

Isn't it just supposed to be fun and an escape from the dredges of reality?

Edited by ColinIllinois