Andy Stuart now CEO NCL

TheDougOut

Plus, he's the one who made the snap decision to forbid taking food back into the cabins after NCL implemented the room service fee, arguably the most unpopular change by NCL since O'Sheehan left. Why he has such a following here totally escapes me.

There are three ways to look at this- the first is that the policy was put in place to drive up revenue from the room service fee (the policy was put into place shortly after the fee was rolled out). The second way to look at it was Stuart's explanation- that he implemented the policy following an off the cuff remark made by Del Rio while touring a ship. Which then leads to a third way of looking at it- that the policy was put in place to drive up revenue and the consumer backlash was so pronounced that Stuart fell on his sword in order to allow NCL to walk the policy back. It doesn't really matter, since no matter how you look at it the policy represented a poor managerial decision at the very top.

Other than a change in titles would someone care to explain to me what changed?

Responsibility. It's one thing in the NCL corporation itself, to report directly to someone who is at the top of the corporation and do as you're told. Quite another to be the top person in the corporation and report to the parent company.

There are three ways to look at this- the first is that the policy was put in place to drive up revenue from the room service fee (the policy was put into place shortly after the fee was rolled out). The second way to look at it was Stuart's explanation- that he implemented the policy following an off the cuff remark made by Del Rio while touring a ship. Which then leads to a third way of looking at it- that the policy was put in place to drive up revenue and the consumer backlash was so pronounced that Stuart fell on his sword in order to allow NCL to walk the policy back. It doesn't really matter, since no matter how you look at it the policy represented a poor managerial decision at the very top.

I looked at it a fourth way, Del Rio told him to do it, he did it and placed the blame squarely back on Del Rio. If it were something he believed in, he would not have passed the buck, of course adding in the revenue generation bit too!

Edited by SuiteCruiser

MIAMI, Sept. 19, 2016 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. (Nasdaq:NCLH) (together with NCL Corporation Ltd., “Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings”, “Norwegian” or the “Company”) today announced strategic changes to its brand leadership team to further align the Company’s organizational structure with its goal to drive sustained growth and pr

Andy Stuart, President of Norwegian Cruise line, and Jason Montague, President of Regent Seven Seas Cruises, will add the title of Chief Executive Officer to their expanded roles with their respective brands, effective immediately.

Full story...

http://globenewswire.com/news-release/2016/09/19/872964/0/en/Norwegian-Cruise-Line-Holdings-Announces-Strategic-Changes-to-Brand-Leadership-Team.html

so del rio stepped down as ceo of ncl?

or was the ceo position empty? and just gave andy an inflated title that changes nothing on how ncl is run??

or was the ceo position empty? and just gave andy an inflated title that changes nothing on how ncl is run??

Neither. It's merely a title shift to better represent the roles that have already been in effect.

Mr. Del Rio is: President and Chief Executive Officer, Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. Mr. Stuart was: President & Chief Operating Officer of Norwegian Cruise line and is now President & Chief Executive Officer of Norwegian Cruise Line. I believe it was just a title change to streamline the titles of Mr. Binder, Mr. Stuart and Mr. Montague, the two latter ones added CEO to their title and possibly a way to get them a higher salary. I don't think it will change anything in the long run.

Other than a change in titles would someone care to explain to me what changed?
Nothing. Mr. Stuart's titled changed from President and COO of Norwegian Cruise Line to President and CEO of Norwegian Cruise Line. He still reports to Mr. Del Rio, along with the other President and CEOs who are responsible for their lines within NCLH.

you cant take food back to your room?

that's strange.... is this only an NCL thing? its not something I have ever heard of before. funny though, the only time I can ever recall bringing food back to a room would be those chips and sauce that you got from Blue Lagoon. they were good balcony food.

I don't think I have ever bothered on any other ship - but now that I know I cant, of course I will want to! I will be sneaking bananas and boxes of cheerios and all into my little handbag!

you cant take food back to your room?

that's strange.... is this only an NCL thing? its not something I have ever heard of before. funny though, the only time I can ever recall bringing food back to a room would be those chips and sauce that you got from Blue Lagoon. they were good balcony food.

I don't think I have ever bothered on any other ship - but now that I know I cant, of course I will want to! I will be sneaking bananas and boxes of cheerios and all into my little handbag!

Yes you can. For a couple weeks they said you can't, but they changed it back. This was a long, long time ago. You are fine holing up in your cabin to eat. :p ;)

Nothing. Mr. Stuart's titled changed from President and COO of Norwegian Cruise Line to President and CEO of Norwegian Cruise Line. He still reports to Mr. Del Rio, along with the other President and CEOs who are responsible for their lines within NCLH.

Did you read the release?

"Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. (Nasdaq:NCLH) (together with NCL Corporation Ltd., “Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings”, “Norwegian” or the “Company”) today announced strategic changes to its brand leadership team to further align the Company’s organizational structure with its goal to drive sustained growth and profitability."

Strategic changes are not title changes and their doing it to align the company with it's goal to drive profitability. There's a change here, and I'm anxious to see what direction it goes.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

Did you read the release?

"Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. (Nasdaq:NCLH) (together with NCL Corporation Ltd., “Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings”, “Norwegian” or the “Company”) today announced strategic changes to its brand leadership team to further align the Company’s organizational structure with its goal to drive sustained growth and profitability."

Strategic changes are not title changes and their doing it to align the company with it's goal to drive profitability. There's a change here, and I'm anxious to see what direction it goes.

Yes, I read it and being in the business world for more years than I want to remember, I also read between the lines. In addition to changing titles, it was an announcement to help the stock price and that is it, in my opinion we will not see any changes. You may have read it differently, but that is okay, we all have our opinions.

Yes, I read it and being in the business world for more years than I want to remember, I also read between the lines. In addition to changing titles, it was an announcement to help the stock price and that is it, in my opinion we will not see any changes. You may have read it differently, but that is okay, we all have our opinions.

Silly question, how long will that keep the stock market happy?? When is the next set of numbers due??

Annie

Silly question, how long will that keep the stock market happy?? When is the next set of numbers due??

Annie

No way for me to answer that question as to whether it will work or not or if it will make the stock market happy; if you look at the stock today it is up, but so are the other two and RCCL is up double what NCL is up and CCL up about half of what NCL is up.

I believe November is when the numbers will be out, at least that is what I read on here, but I don't own any stock, so I'm not really sure.

Edited by NLH Arizona

The one thing here is corporate spin. They just shuffled everyone around. You see they mentioned (to align with there business model) which means things are the way they like it. That is like a restaurant owner saying all new menu. You look at the menu and they have added a couple items but what you missed is they increased all the prices which is the main thing that they changed so not a good thing as they made you believe.

No way for me to answer that question as to whether it will work or not or if it will make the stock market happy; if you look at the stock today it is up, but so are the other two and RCCL is up double what NCL is up and CCL up about half of what NCL is up.

I believe November is when the numbers will be out, at least that is what I read on here, but I don't own any stock, so I'm not really sure.

Thanks for the reply.

Annie

In the large corporate world of holding companies and subsidaries, changes like this come for 2 reasons.

1. to have an actual change in direction - remember no one was fired and/or replaced in any fashion. So the actual change could be as suggested to remove Del Rio (either at or against his own request) out of the operations of each individual line and into a more "parent" role that is the holding company. This would mean that he has less say in the operations of each line and would be more concerned with revenue/stock prices. A sort of "I don't care how you make money, just make at least this much money" role.

or

2. to give the APPEARANCE of actual change in direction without any real change in direction. NCL has had some blows to their PR. Apparently people do not like Del Rio but do like Stuart (we have no opinions on either). What better way to boost positive PR than to make it look their is a change in managerial direction - without actually changing anything. This would also cover the "shell game" reorganization across the multiple brands so that upper management of each line is uniform across the board. This would give the impression of the holding company reorganizing and putting each executive on the same level in hopes that it boost stock moral rather than actually caring about client PR. (change affects stock prices either + or -).

I have no real speculation on what the change really means. I do not have opinions on any persons at that level and only base my vacation decisions on experience and value.

In the large corporate world of holding companies and subsidaries, changes like this come for 2 reasons.

1. to have an actual change in direction - remember no one was fired and/or replaced in any fashion. So the actual change could be as suggested to remove Del Rio (either at or against his own request) out of the operations of each individual line and into a more "parent" role that is the holding company. This would mean that he has less say in the operations of each line and would be more concerned with revenue/stock prices. A sort of "I don't care how you make money, just make at least this much money" role.

or

2. to give the APPEARANCE of actual change in direction without any real change in direction. NCL has had some blows to their PR. Apparently people do not like Del Rio but do like Stuart (we have no opinions on either). What better way to boost positive PR than to make it look their is a change in managerial direction - without actually changing anything. This would also cover the "shell game" reorganization across the multiple brands so that upper management of each line is uniform across the board. This would give the impression of the holding company reorganizing and putting each executive on the same level in hopes that it boost stock moral rather than actually caring about client PR. (change affects stock prices either + or -).

I have no real speculation on what the change really means. I do not have opinions on any persons at that level and only base my vacation decisions on experience and value.

You are spot on, thank you.

The one thing here is corporate spin. They just shuffled everyone around. You see they mentioned (to align with there business model) which means things are the way they like it. That is like a restaurant owner saying all new menu. You look at the menu and they have added a couple items but what you missed is they increased all the prices which is the main thing that they changed so not a good thing as they made you believe.

Like - it's classic corporate / media relations spin - as in "so what" now (IMO). Let's show the real strategic changes, which we will take into consideration when we plan our next cruise ... down the road. It's the same old modus operandi from what we can see and our plans for this Fall aren't changing because there is simply a new CEO.

Stuart might be more well liked by those here on CC over FDR, but the issues has more to do with the corporate business model. One can cross the fingers & fold the legs; inhale by taking deep breath, and, take a wait-n-see attitude while the fire sale & last minute deals continue to fly ...

Aside from these personnel promotions & some payroll adjustments, perhaps, how would all this affect or change (improve) the passenger experience in bulk steerage - that is to be seen in the coming weeks & months, assuming this is done in "synergy" with the NCLH board and the CEO together. Strategic vision and changes just don't come out of nowhere, not over a weekend night.

Edited by mking8288

I never believe the "reasons" stated in corporate press releases. Someone where I used to work often said about those statements that so-and-so resigned "to spend more time with his/her family" -- everybody would like to spend more time with their family, but no one wants to spend all their time with their family...

I never believe the "reasons" stated in corporate press releases. Someone where I used to work often said about those statements that so-and-so resigned "to spend more time with his/her family" -- everybody would like to spend more time with their family, but no one wants to spend all their time with their family...

I was going to say something similar. Taking away the CEO of NCL title from FDR and giving it to Stuart to align better with the corporate structure reads to me that it was taken away for other reasons.

If it's been taken away to increase the stock price, that also tells me that all is not right at the helm.

I was going to say something similar. Taking away the CEO of NCL title from FDR and giving it to Stuart to align better with the corporate structure reads to me that it was taken away for other reasons.

If it's been taken away to increase the stock price, that also tells me that all is not right at the helm.

This is from NCL's leadership information prior to the change. I don't see where Mr. Del Rio was CEO of NCL, but President and CEO of Norwegian Cruise Line Holding Ltd. and Mr. Stuart was President and COO of Norwegian Cruise Line and now he is President and CEO.

Frank J. Del Rio

President and Chief Executive Officer, Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd.

Frank J. Del Rio is the president and chief executive officer of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. (NASDAQ: NCLH), comprised of Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises. These brands operate a combined 21 ships with approximately 40,000 lower berths visiting more than 430 destinations worldwide.

Andrew Stuart

President & Chief Operating Officer

Andy Stuart is President and Chief Operating Officer for Norwegian Cruise Line, appointed to this position in March 2015. A 27-year company veteran, Stuart has been instrumental in building the Norwegian brand and strengthening relationships with travel partners. In this role, he is responsible for ensuring that Norwegian excels in every facet and that the company continues to produce industry leading financial results, while bringing new ideas and ways of doing business that improve guest satisfaction and team member involvement.

And according to the article posted, Mr. Del Rio's title remains the same: One of Norwegian’s main strengths is the strong and deep bench of talent across our executive team,” said Frank Del Rio, president and chief executive officer of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings.

Edited by NLH Arizona