Repositioning cruises

Moriah

Does anyone have a good way to search the HAL site for re-positioning cruises ONLY? Or does a list of these cruises exist anywhere? My son has finally agreed to go on a cruise, but he insists it be a trans-Atlantic. Fine by me, but I'm having a hard time finding out what all the options might be for this kind of cruise. (I definitely want to stick with HAL). Help would be most appreciated! (Also any recommendations for Europe to US or back again cruises.)

From the Holland America website try "Plan", then "Advanced Search", destination "Europe", and it should come up with Region "Transatlantic". You can drill down a bit more by choosing duration. "9-16 days" gave me 13 cruises.

Roy

From the Holland America website try "Plan", then "Advanced Search", destination "Europe", and it should come up with Region "Transatlantic". You can drill down a bit more by choosing duration. "9-16 days" gave me 13 cruises.

Roy

Thank you!! That was very helpful!

Roy

There are lots of other choices in repositioning cruises. We're boarding the Maasdam tomorrow that's repositioning to Australia. It'll reposition in the Spring to the US from Australia. In the spring of 2017 we're on the Volendam repositioning from Asia to Vancouver, BC. We've repositioned on the Amsterdam from FL to Seattle, the Ryndam, NA and Prinsendam from Europe to FL. We were on the the last repositioning cruise of the Statendam from Seattle to Singapore (a great cruise). There's also repositioning cruises on the Zaandam from SA to the US and the reverse as well as repositioning from Canada to FL and the reverse.

We really enjoy the repositioning cruises for the sea days that they offer. I hope this helps.

Edited by Btimmer

There are lots of other choices in repositioning cruises. We're boarding the Maasdam tomorrow that's repositioning to Australia. It'll reposition in the Spring to the US from Australia. In the spring of 2017 we're on the Volendam repositioning from Asia to Vancouver, BC. We've repositioned on the Amsterdam from FL to Seattle, the Ryndam, NA and Prinsendam from Europe to FL. We were on the the last repositioning cruise of the Statendam from Seattle to Singapore (a great cruise). There's also repositioning cruises on the Zaandam from SA to the US and the reverse as well as repositioning from Canada to FL and the reverse.

We really enjoy the repositioning cruises for the sea days that they offer. I hope this helps.

Yes! The sea days are what attracts my son to the idea of a repositioning cruise rather than a port intensive one. Do you know of any list of *all* of the repositionings for a given year, or something like that? I think Europe will probably be best for us since my son lives in Tel Aviv and I am thinking of a one way transatlantic and flying the other way, but I'm open to all ideas. This would be for summer 2017.

Yes! The sea days are what attracts my son to the idea of a repositioning cruise rather than a port intensive one. Do you know of any list of *all* of the repositionings for a given year, or something like that? I think Europe will probably be best for us since my son lives in Tel Aviv and I am thinking of a one way transatlantic and flying the other way, but I'm open to all ideas. This would be for summer 2017.

One way to find them is to do a Google search on "repositioning cruises". The 30 day Prinsendam cruise started in Athens, took in Israel for 2 stops among other stops and ended in Ft. Lauderdale. HAL doesn't seem to use the term repositioning; one just has to be aware of what repositioning means (the ship sails during the peak travel time for one part of the world) and then is "repositioned" to another part of the world to do the same there.

BTW, while this is a HAL thread, all cruise lines have them. On the other hand, a straight Southhampton, England to New York cruise by Cunard, for example, wouldn't generally be considered a repositioning cruise as it's their regular route. But if that same ship sailed for a season out of New York and then returned to England to sail for a season, those transit cruises would be considered repositioning even though they might not be called that in the cruise line literature.

HTH,

Last year we creatively used repositioning cruises to travel around the world VERY inexpensively. We sailed from Seattle to Singapore on the Statendam, flew to Rome and sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam from Rome to Florida. We then tacked 7 days on the Eurodam in the Caribbean just for good measure (not a repositioning cruise).

Get those creative juices going!

Edited by Btimmer

I would expand my horizons if sea days are the objective.

First, HAL will only have transatlantic cruises in specific months. In the spring (April), HAL ships will leave the US to sail to Europe. There won't be many, if any, until the Fall when the ships will leave Europe to sail to the US. To the best of my knowledge only Cunard offers regular trips back and forth.

That said: HAL does offer one cruise that leaves Fort Lauderdale, travels around the Med, and then returns to Fort Lauderdale. I think there is only one of these per year. Look under Grand Voyages. It maybe longer than you wish. There are other cruises such as the voyages of the vikings that you might want to consider.

Thanks so much everyone! You've given me great ideas and info!

There is a travel site which lists types of vacations - but which cannot be mentioned on CC. You can enter search parameters such as: area (trans-Atlantic), line, dates, length of itinerary, port(s) of embarkation, etc. Just stab around on the net.

Anyway, we have done six westbound TA repositionings after stays in Europe. Fall weather is generally better than Spring, when the eastbound are done. Also, you have 25 hour days rather than 23 due to time zone changes, and it is good to get the flight out of the way first and enjoy a great trip home. The dates for Westbounds are generally late September through November.

Two of ours have been on HAL: Prinsendam and Noordam - both from Rome.

Last year we creatively used repositioning cruises to travel around the world VERY inexpensively. We sailed from Seattle to Singapore on the Statendam, flew to Rome and sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam from Rome to Florida. We then tacked 7 days on the Eurodam in the Caribbean just for good measure (not a repositioning cruise).

Wow-I like your style!!:):)

If your son loves sea days, as I do, I recommend doing Europe to U.S., rather than the reverse. That way you have your busy port days at the beginning and the relaxing sea days at the end. Also, you are more easily adjusted to the time changes on the way home, which may appeal to anyone who has to go back to work after arriving at home.

Start with the Cruise Atlas 2017-2018.

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/hal/cruiseatlas1718/index.php?WT_ac=ebrochure_CruiseAtlas_1617_email_USD&Src=email_send_e-brochure

Proceed to a chart near the end called Sailing Schedule at a glance. Look for the lines where a ship moves from zone A to zone B. e.g. Alaska to Asia for Volendam.

In the HAL Trip Planner tool, search for that ship and that month to see the voyage details.

At a Glance for 2017 to 2018 (disclaimer is that HAL changes the ship assignment schedule more often the published Cruise Atlas):

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/hal/cruiseatlas1718/index.php?WT_ac=ebrochure_CruiseAtlas_1617_email_USD&Src=email_send_e-brochure#/226

I hope these extremely long hyperlinks work.

Our issue with some of the repositioning cruises is the one way air fare. How do you get around the OUTRAGEOUS cost of one way fares around the globe? We are not picky folks. We happily fly steerage as it doesn't last more than a day but it does burn my biscuits when the airfare for 1 person costs more than the cruise for 2! I was pleasantly surprised to find some lower fares to South America in the past few years but Europe, eegads.. :eek:

Edited by fatcat04

One way airfares is a much discussed topic. We have flown Icelandair from MSP to Europe and return. Icelandair offers good one way fares, but does not serve many cities in Europe or the US. This spring we are doing a west to east TA to Copenhagen. We will be traveling on our own in Europe for a month or so. We have been looking at one way fares home. From Vienna the fare was over $2400 US. From Prague the fare was $700 US on LOT. These cities are less that 300 miles apart. My advice is shop around.

One way airfares is a much discussed topic. We have flown Icelandair from MSP to Europe and return. Icelandair offers good one way fares, but does not serve many cities in Europe or the US. This spring we are doing a west to east TA to Copenhagen. We will be traveling on our own in Europe for a month or so. We have been looking at one way fares home. From Vienna the fare was over $2400 US. From Prague the fare was $700 US on LOT. These cities are less that 300 miles apart. My advice is shop around.

I had wondered about flying into one city and traveling to another either via intra European airlines or train. Timing would be a big concern of course.

There seem to be some low cost carriers making waves in Europe now just like here in the US. I have checked out some of the "cheap" fare finder tools online and sometimes there is a good deal but you do have to kind of dig around and keep your fingers crossed that the dates match up. I know Rick Steves has some good advice on finding cheap airfare to Europe as well.

I have also heard some folks use HAL air for one ways and that that can be a good deal.

A repositioning TA is on the list for the next few years but taking son to Rome for a week for his 18th year on this planet is also on the calendar. Could combine the two. :)

Edited by fatcat04

I had wondered about flying into one city and traveling to another either via intra European airlines or train. Timing would be a big concern of course.

There seem to be some low cost carriers making waves in Europe now just like here in the US. I have checked out some of the "cheap" fare finder tools online and sometimes there is a good deal but you do have to kind of dig around and keep your fingers crossed that the dates match up. I know Rick Steves has some good advice on finding cheap airfare to Europe as well.

I have also heard some folks use HAL air for one ways and that that can be a good deal.

A repositioning TA is on the list for the next few years but taking son to Rome for a week for his 18th year on this planet is also on the calendar. Could combine the two. :)

We used local airlines in Europe last year (Spain) to get to two different cities. Everything went very smoothly. Train is good but you have to handle your own luggage so we took the "easy" way out. It was actually cheaper to fly from Madrid to Barcelona than to take the high speed train!

Our issue with some of the repositioning cruises is the one way air fare. How do you get around the OUTRAGEOUS cost of one way fares around the globe? We are not picky folks. We happily fly steerage as it doesn't last more than a day but it does burn my biscuits when the airfare for 1 person costs more than the cruise for 2! I was pleasantly surprised to find some lower fares to South America in the past few years but Europe, eegads.. :eek:

We always use HAL's Flight Ease. It is usually somewhat less on most round trip itin's however the savings is huge on one-way fares. :D

We always use HAL's Flight Ease. It is usually somewhat less on most round trip itin's however the savings is huge on one-way fares. :D

HAL's Flight Ease had worked well for us - most recently 2014 to Rome cost us about $450 each. Last year we flew Aer Lingus to Ireland for a tad more before ground and ferry travel to Southampton for Cunard. I think Iceland Air also offers reasonable one way rates - but generally HAL's program (used three times) has been the best.

I know the airlines don't like you doing this, but for a one-way to Europe I have booked a round trip and then thrown away the return (when there actually were paper tickets!) or just ditched the return flight with an e-ticket. Works only if you actually take the outgoing flight.

I know the airlines don't like you doing this, but for a one-way to Europe I have booked a round trip and then thrown away the return (when there actually were paper tickets!) or just ditched the return flight with an e-ticket. Works only if you actually take the outgoing flight.

True - for some incomprehensible reason airlines charge substantially more for a one way than for a round trip including that same one way itinerary. However, HAL's flight ease has regularly come in many hundreds cheaper than airlines round trip fares.

True - for some incomprehensible reason airlines charge substantially more for a one way than for a round trip including that same one way itinerary. However, HAL's flight ease has regularly come in many hundreds cheaper than airlines round trip fares.

Yes, it is infuriating to look at one fares. Good to know HAL gives us options. Thank you all for your suggestions.