Need Advice - Oasis of the Seas and RC in General

slwasenda

My husband, myself and 9 year old daughter are set to take Oasis in January. I have read horrible reviews on it lately from dated, uncomfortable, dirty rooms to the food and menus being changed, not for the better. We have until Oct. 7 to pay our balance or possibly change our cruise. Our other option is to possibly go on Freedom of the Seas or Allure. Any suggestions or words of advice?

My husband, myself and 9 year old daughter are set to take Oasis in January. I have read horrible reviews on it lately from dated, uncomfortable, dirty rooms to the food and menus being changed, not for the better. We have until Oct. 7 to pay our balance or possibly change our cruise. Our other option is to possibly go on Freedom of the Seas or Allure. Any suggestions or words of advice?

We just sailed Oasis in May and it was our favorite ship to date. Our cabin was clean, though we did have a leaky sprinkler head that the ship tried to fix. We thought the food was good, but we were on prior to the new menus. The entertainment is wonderful.

Remember, people are more apt to complain than they are to post something positive.

If I were you, I would go with Oasis and come to my own conclusion. If you start looking at reviews of Freedom and Allure, you are liable to come across negatives too.

I'm not sure where you've read such negative reviews...but...there are numerous positive ones here at Cruise Critic as well.

The problem with at lest some negative posts is that they are spawned by a small number of people who wish to vent - often for one small issue or problem that may have occurred.

Millions of cruising passengers who have great experiences often don't take the time to share those, rather, we hear from a disproportionate number of people who simply want to vent.

The menus on ships are often the very same, and do get changed periodically throughout the year and based on home port location (Europe vs U.S. for example).

On the topic of comfort...we have always been very comfortable in our cabins on all RCI ships. In fact, my wife has repeatedly indicated she can sleep better and more comfortably in our cabin that in our own bed at home. I suspect the variety of views on this stem from personal preferences in terms of "mattress firmness". If people prefer a softer mattress, they can typically request a "topper" to soften them from their cabin attendant.

In any case, Oasis is a fine ship, as is its sister ship Allure. We have been on both and thoroughly enjoyed our cruises on them. In fact, so much so that we've now booked Harmony for next Spring.

Enjoy.

It's been a little while since I was on the Oasis but I really enjoyed it. Ship is beautiful and huge, might as will be a city on water. And the shows are amazing I think the only thing I could've had a complaint about was that there weren't any open decks besides the top decks. And that's not even really a complaint it's just something I kind of missed from the other ships.

I too say ignore the negative reviews and go enjoy yourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We r currently on the oasis..second time....everything is actually wonderful. Shows are good...We did not love Cats, but that is a matter of taste. Food is fine, crew has been great. Would highly recommend Oasis! Have fun!

Ssooooo.....you read that the ship is dated and you're thinking about switching to a ship that is 2 years older?? Oasis is FAR from dated - its one of the most modern ships out there. I prefer the Oasis-class layout to some of the newer Norwegian "modern" ships, especially the pool decks. I too have seen a few mediocre reviews of the new menus, but they're new.....give them time to work the kinks out and I'm sure everything will be just fine. Plus food is SO subjective; for every rave review there is a "MEH" review when it comes to food.

My advice....stick with what you have, stop reading the reviews, and go in with the mindset of enjoying your trip! If you can't do that, then I would recommend switching ships, because no matter how great the experience, you'll have the mindset of "what's going wrong next". That's no way to spend your vacation. Freedom is a gorgeous ship as well, but to me feels much more dated than Oasis/Allure.

We are long time Royal Caribbean cruisers. We have not personally been on Oasis but have been on Allure which we are going on again in November. As like previous cruisers, people complain more than complement on message boards. I have never found any RC ships to be dirty. The food is good and there is a variety on this ship that others ships do not have. We just came back from a cruise on Freedom Sept 4th. I love this ship so much that we booked a transatlantic next April on Freedom. There is so much to do on Oasis for yourselves and for your child. The first day will be confusing but the second day you will be asking where did everyone go! Relax and enjoy your cruise. RC staff are the best. They will bend over backwards to help you. If you do not like the food that you ordered, ask for something else.

Oh, I just noticed!!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

Click on the site below and find your cruise date to connect with your fellow cruisers going on the Oasis the same week as you!!;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=549

[\QUOTE]

My advice....stick with what you have, stop reading the reviews, and go in with the mindset of enjoying your trip! If you can't do that, then I would recommend switching ships, because no matter how great the experience, you'll have the mindset of "what's going wrong next". That's no way to spend your vacation. Freedom is a gorgeous ship as well, but to me feels much more dated than Oasis/Allure.

Well said!

A cruise is what you make it. Go and have fun, it's on you to do that. The ship is beautiful. Don't put a lot of weight on the reviews. There are 3500 +/- passengers and 10 +/- reviews.

We are also on the oasis this week. It is a good ship and enjoying the cruise. The MDR food is good. We are not fans of windjammer buffet, but prefer the Solarium instead. I agree with the other cruiser, the staff has been way above average this week. We would recommend this ship.