Hurricane's A-Coming!

butterfly529

I was not on a cruise ship during Hurricane Katrina...

I was, and we passed within 90 miles of the eye when we squeezed between the storm and Cuba's northern coast.

Dark, gloomy, rainy, windy, and we had to figure out something else to do that day besides sit by the pool. But otherwise, it wasn't a big deal. If I knew it was going to happen that way before I left, I still would have gone without a moment's hesitation.

As long as you aren't dead set on seeing a particular port, cruising in hurricane season isn't too bad. Generally, they'll almost never take you near the storm, or to any port it just hit. Due to some odd circumstances, we did actually get pretty close to Katrina. Even so, it wasn't really that bad. Those stabilizers really work well.

Wow, so clueless! It's not all about the cruise line passengers, there is the matter of the jobs for those Haitians who depend on the money spent by passengers...so you think a double hit of the hurricane to devastate them and then their only source of income to leave would be the thing to do?!....off soap box.

Agree. I also remember the last time Haiti was hit and suffered a lot of destruction a lot of Cruisers posted here on CC that they would be taking cloths, school supplies and other items to give to the locals. I'm too lazy to do a search for the thread(s) to get the exact content but a lot of good Cruisers doing the right thing. I'm sure this will be the case for any near future Cruises.

Edited by davekathy

Aren't the Keys going to get hit too? And won't all of the ports like Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, and Port Everglades be in the path for being hit/affected?

This will probably affect a lot of cruises and passengers.

Prayers for the people of Haiti and all of the Bahamas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Aren't the Keys going to get hit too? And won't all of the ports like Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, and Port Everglades be in the path for being hit/affected?

This will probably affect a lot of cruises and passengers.

Prayers for the people of Haiti and all of the Bahamas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The Keys not so much. Miami, FLL, a chance. Port Everglades, on more and more models, looks like some real impact, which means returning on Friday would be a bit problematic.

Edited by ECCruise

The Keys not so much. Miami, FLL, a chance. Port Everglades, on more and more models, looks like some real impact, which means returning on Friday would be a bit problematic.

And Port Canaveral. Right now they are at the greatest risk of a direct or near direct hit.

Port Canaveral will close at noon on Wednesday.

Port Canaveral has issued an evacuation order for landside operations and the port will officially close at noon on Wednesday due to Hurricane Matthew.

In addition to the land-side evacuation, the U.S. Coast Guard has given notice that the Canaveral harbor will close by tomorrow afternoon. Under the Captain of the Port order, no vessel traffic–including cruise and cargo ships, as well as recreational and commercial fishing boats –will be allowed in harbor until after the storm passes and the order is lifted.

This is the first time since 2004 that Port Canaveral has shut down operations due to severe weather. In 2004, the ship’s harbor was shut closed for 11 days to ship traffic.

John Murray, CEO of Port Canaveral, gave the following statement: “This is a serious storm and the protection of people and property is our primary concern. We expect high winds and storm surge throughout the port and have urged the Port community to prepare their facilities so business can resume as quickly as possible after the storm.”

Hurricane Matthew has already caused several cruise lines to alter cruise itineraries in the Caribbean and Bahamas. The hurricane currently has maximum sustained winds of 140 mph and is expected to move over the Bahamas and up the Florida coast over the next few days.

Wow, so clueless! It's not all about the cruise line passengers, there is the matter of the jobs for those Haitians who depend on the money spent by passengers...so you think a double hit of the hurricane to devastate them and then their only source of income to leave would be the thing to do?!....off soap box.

When your store is on fire, you first concentrate on putting out the fire... then helping the customers. The question is do you wait until search and recovery has ended or show up with thousands of passengers while the Haitians are still trying to locate family members. At this point the major bridge is gone.. and that is a solid structure not a hut. So I think the poster's point was about the Haitians facing likely serious results of a cat 4. If RCCL can provide needed provisions great. But I think the poster was genuinely concerned about the lives of those there... not clueless at all.

When your store is on fire, you first concentrate on putting out the fire... then helping the customers. The question is do you wait until search and recovery has ended or show up with thousands of passengers while the Haitians are still trying to locate family members. At this point the major bridge is gone.. and that is a solid structure not a hut. So I think the poster's point was about the Haitians facing likely serious results of a cat 4. If RCCL can provide needed provisions great. But I think the poster was genuinely concerned about the lives of those there... not clueless at all.

The cruise ships will probably not go to Haiti for at least a week. I doubt there would be much left of the Labadee area. When ships do return they will be bringing supplies for the folks in the Cap Hatian area. That is how they handled it when the earthquake hit several years ago.

wow, so clueless! It's not all about the cruise line passengers, there is the matter of the jobs for those haitians who depend on the money spent by passengers...so you think a double hit of the hurricane to devastate them and then their only source of income to leave would be the thing to do?!....off soap box.

agreed!!!!!

The cruise ships will probably not go to Haiti for at least a week. I doubt there would be much left of the Labadee area. When ships do return they will be bringing supplies for the folks in the Cap Hatian area. That is how they handled it when the earthquake hit several years ago.

I don't know for certain if any ships did not call on Haiti after the quake however I do know that many of Royal's ships stopped there in that first week delivering much needed supplies to the island including ones that were already at sea when the quake hit and offloaded everything that they could do are to help out.

We all need to take a minute or two and think about the poor families still living in tents from the earthquake, and now Matthew.

Better yet, contact Royal Caribbean and ask what we can do to help through them.

Hurricane Matthew Weather Update

October 5, 2016 - 1:00 p.m. E.S.T

Royal Caribbean International continues to closely monitor Hurricane Matthew. Due to the storm, Port of Miami and Port Canaveral are planning to close to all marine traffic on Thursday and anticipate to reopen on Friday and Saturday (respectively).

Empress of the Seas

Empress of the Seas next sailing will now depart on Friday, October 7, 2016. Boarding on Friday will take place as soon as we receive notification from PortMiami authorities. To compensate for the missed day, Royal Caribbean will provide each stateroom with an onboard credit in the amount of one day based on the cruise fare paid, which will be credited to guests' onboard accounts. As a gesture of goodwill, we will also be providing all sailing guests with a 25% future cruise credit. We encourage guests sailing on Empress of the Seas to monitor this website tomorrow for any additional updates.

Majesty of the Seas

Majesty of the Seas next sailing will now depart Port Canaveral on Saturday, October 8, 2016. Due to the revised itinerary, Royal Caribbean International will provide each stateroom with an onboard credit in the amount of one day based on the cruise fare paid, which will be credited to guests' onboard accounts. As a gesture of goodwill, we will also be providing all sailing guests with a 33% future cruise credit. A letter with more details and information about the updated itinerary will be provided at boarding.

If you have not done so already, we strongly suggest guests complete their online check-in as soon as possible, including the section requesting your preferred method of contact while traveling. You can access online check-in at http://www.royalcaribbean.com/onlinecheckin. If there are any questions, please contact us at 866-562-7625. Thank you for your understanding, and we look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Royal Caribbean International will continue to closely monitor weather conditions and will provide updates as soon as they become available.

Very strange, this most recent update posted above isn't listed on the Royal site yet. That one is still dated from yesterday 6 pm EST. Hopefully they update the site soon for those who don't peruse CC!

I also received via text. So glad to have heard something!