Hurricane's A-Coming!

butterfly529

I had a pleasant side effect of the hurricane this evening. I took my bike to work this morning and rode the 17 miles from my Columbus, Ohio west side office back to my home in NE Columbus. As I was riding through the City of Upper Arlington, I had 5 F22 Raptors fly a few hundred feet above me. Being an Aviation nut, it was a thrill. I've only seen an F22 demo at an airshow. The USAF is moving a bunch of planes away from the East Coast up as far as VA as I've been able to learn.

They are now moving aircraft from the West coast of Florida.

If you are in a low lying area or a building that does not have hurricane barriers, please leave. All bridges from the coast in Volusia and Brevard counties will close at 1800 hours.

John, hoping you are safe. Haven't seen you post in almost 12 hours. Maybe you guys decided to evac.

Keep us posted.

Been busy at work, need to finish a few things before power goes. Hard to go anywhere with Bella. Could go to Ocala. I'm a board member at our complex. A couple of us are staying to get things up and running again post storm. Lots of neighbors are staying, I may be the youngest of the bunch. :eek:

I'll update as long as we have power or cell service

Been busy at work, need to finish a few things before power goes. Hard to go anywhere with Bella. Could go to Ocala. I'm a board member at our complex. A couple of us are staying to get things up and running again post storm. Lots of neighbors are staying, I may be the youngest of the bunch. :eek:

Wishing & praying for the best for you & your neighbors & everyone in the path of this storm. Had friends go through cat 4 Hurricane Charley in Punta Gorda back in 2004 & they said never again. Stay safe.

John, you and Laura stay safe.

My friend is in Orlando, she was at a nursing conference. For those of you experienced what are the chances her 6pm flight will happen? She said no rental cars available. She's from California so not experienced with this and basically on her own.

My friend is in Orlando, she was at a nursing conference. For those of you experienced what are the chances her 6pm flight will happen? She said no rental cars available. She's from California so not experienced with this and basically on her own.

You don't need "experience", just a phone with internet access.....

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/weather/hurricane/os-hurricane-matthew-flights-canceled-20161006-story.html

Looks like the airport is closing at 8:00 but delays and cancellations are mounting. Sounds like a 6:00PM flight is OK for now but who knows as the day goes on. She needs to track things on the airport flight status page, same for her airline on their status page or phone app.

Edited by bouhunter

So if out of town people cannot get to the port in the next couple of days because of airport cancellations, they are just stuck? I know the answer but it seems like such a far fetched event.

Insurance wouldn't cover would it unless it was cancel for any reason?

She should get on flight aware and track where the plane is coming from. Track it back to where it is now and see what airports it is scheduled to go through prior to tonight. Call her airline and see what they say. Talk to others from the conference and see if anyone has a car and is going to drive to an airport that is not affected. Hopefully she is flying a decent carrier and not a discount, one a day carrier, that will help since they will have a bigger presence at MCO and will have more flexibility with their aircraft

Edited by reallyitsmema

Stay safe and will be thinking of you guys. Matthew is definitely picking up steam.

:eek:

Stay safe! We are in Kissimmee and the news is saying it will be real bad by you if it comes ashore there. I'm hoping we don't lose power here, but it's not looking good.

So if out of town people cannot get to the port in the next couple of days because of airport cancellations, they are just stuck? I know the answer but it seems like such a far fetched event.

Insurance wouldn't cover would it unless it was cancel for any reason?

I don't know about all insurance, but this is the exact sort of thing that would be covered with trip insurance that's halfway decent. You can't buy insurance once a storm has been named, but if you've had the insurance since final payment date you should be OK.

Here's some info from squaremouth.com which is where I search for plans

https://www.squaremouth.com/travel-insurance-benefits/hurricane-and-weather

Another thing your friend should do is just try to get out of Orlando, period. Do not limit her options to just fly to California, fly somewhere that is not in the possible path of the storm. Have her go to Chicago or Denver or at least some airline's hub. She will then have many more options to fly on to California later today or tomorrow. It is time to be creative.

She should get on flight aware and track where the plane is coming from.

Thanks for this. Luckily the inbound flight is direct from LAX (Virgin America). It's nice to now know that and be able to watch it for her.

Thanks for this. Luckily the inbound flight is direct from LAX (Virgin America). It's nice to now know that and be able to watch it for her.

You're welcome.:) That flight is supposed to leave LAX at 9:15 local time, so keep an eye on it to see that it actually leaves. Once it is inflight, she will be able to breathe a little easier, since they are going to turn that plane around and get it out of there before the airport closes. Good luck to her!:)

May God Bless you and keep you safe.. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone on the coastline.. We have boarded up our house in Edisto Beach, and headed out to safer ground.

Another thing your friend should do is just try to get out of Orlando, period. Do not limit her options to just fly to California, fly somewhere that is not in the possible path of the storm. Have her go to Chicago or Denver or at least some airline's hub. She will then have many more options to fly on to California later today or tomorrow. It is time to be creative.[/quote

Agree, It's Amazing Race strategy time!! Stay safe everyone.

http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search/florida.hotels.united-states.pet-friendly/

http://www.pet-friendly-hotels.net/

:)

Poor Haiti, they're still not rebuilt from the last major hurricane.

That's EXACTLY what I've been thinking!! While we are (rughtly) worried about our vacations being spoiled, these people are loosing their livelihoods YET AGAIN!! And it's already one of the poorest countries....It just doesn't seem fair :mad: