Carnival restricting Samsung Galaxy Note 7

S&S Cruisers 1983

I am so glad that cruise lines, air lines and others are refusing this device.

It is like a bomb ready to go off...

As for metal detective all cruise lines, air ports, court houses and yes some hospital. Even when we return from an excursion we go through one too.

If I was going to fly, cruise and they didn't have metal detectives I would go with them..

Keep people safe including your own family and leave your device home or better yet return the product.

I am so glad that cruise lines, air lines and others are refusing this device.

It is like a bomb ready to go off...

As for metal detective all cruise lines, air ports, court houses and yes some hospital. Even when we return from an excursion we go through one too.

If I was going to fly, cruise and they didn't have metal detectives I would go with them..

Keep people safe including your own family and leave your device home or better yet return the product.

The question I have though is how is a TSA agent or port agent going to know if a user has a Note7 versus a Galaxy S7 or S6 or any other device? I know people should get rid of their Note7, but my S6 looks a lot like a note 7 and no one better tell me to turn it off or put it away as there are no issues with my 2 yr old phone... Except maybe my crappy battery life...

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I fly in 2 weeks and my husband and I both have samsung galaxy s7 phones. I sure hope the staff figures out how to tell if you have a note 7 or not. The notes are HUGE and have a stylus - it's not all that hard to tell if it's a note.

Agree that it isn't a challenge to tell them apart. Additionally you can always pull up the phone model number on a menu located within the phone (I use an iPhone so no idea where it would be in a Galaxy, but it is there) to show it is not an affected phone or device.

While I do put my bags on an xray machine I have never walked through a metal detector while going through security.

I'm not looking to start an argument, and can't tell if your kidding. Every port we have ever embarked from had walk through detectors where your carry on bags get scanned. When ever we have got back on the boat in a port of call, there are scanners you have to walk through, as shown in the pictures in the link below.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/carnival-triumph-148/boarding-area-166281/boarding-area--v9009616/

And for the record, no I am not your wife. I sincerely would like to know how you are getting on the ship without going through these. Unless you are hand searched because of joint replacements, but you did say "No such requirement" about walking through metal detectors.

I'm not looking to start an argument, and can't tell if your kidding. Every port we have ever embarked from had walk through detectors where your carry on bags get scanned. When ever we have got back on the boat in a port of call, there are scanners you have to walk through, as shown in the pictures in the link below.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/carnival-triumph-148/boarding-area-166281/boarding-area--v9009616/

And for the record, no I am not your wife. I sincerely would like to know how you are getting on the ship without going through these. Unless you are hand searched because of joint replacements, but you did say "No such requirement" about walking through metal detectors.

Even with metal replacements you can still go through a metal detector. I have a rod and pins in my right femur from a car accident. It is titanium and I've never had an issue with a metal detector

Even with metal replacements you can still go through a metal detector. I have a rod and pins in my right femur from a car accident. It is titanium and I've never had an issue with a metal detector

Think the limitation is pace makers and what it can do them, not the presence of.......

Sent from my iPhone

Agree that it isn't a challenge to tell them apart. Additionally you can always pull up the phone model number on a menu located within the phone (I use an iPhone so no idea where it would be in a Galaxy, but it is there) to show it is not an affected phone or device.

You can pull up the model number but not the name of the device. I still have a 3 year old Note 2. I hope they won't be giving me any problems :(

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Have a Samsung 5 now. Previously a 3. Have also owned an iPhone. Will most definitely get a Samsung Galaxy 8 if that's the case. Love them. Not wishing to start a pissing match, however.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

They had a segment on TV the other day about these. They now think that it's the phone itself and not the batteries that's causing the fires because the new batteries haven't stopped the problem. One gentleman that they interviewed said that he had his phone off the charger and turned off and it still caught on fire.

By embark, do you mean at the start of your cruise or at each and every port?

I ask, as whilst we certainly have gone through baggage checks at the start of a cruise, each port we've stopped at hasnt necesarily had an xray machine. I'm fairly sure about that, though admit my memory may be at fault here.

Certainly we did at every port on Carnival Vista. Thats a fact.

However, I know I did on the Silversea cruises from Tower Bridge and Barcelona (and the 4 other embarkations at Tower Bridge I've been on for lunch), but I'm sure we didnt on points onward.... and I cant think they would let you walk through without warning (for obvious reasons.)

We may have in Amsterdam inside the terminal, but Im sure we didnt in Stockholm, Visby, Ronne. This year, we definitely didnt in Monaco, Livorno, Sorrento, Messina and the Greek ports we stopped at. (I may have in Civitavecchia - but that was purely because we walked to the ship and not use the coach.

As it now seems the Note 7 is finished and the been recalled, it would be rather daft that people dont send them back! Thinking back to a Galaxy S4 I once owned. - The battery got so hot, it expanded and broke the screen. It took a lot of convincing to get them to replace (as they were trying to claim I must have dropped it.) But fair play, they eventually did with and gave me a new phone. Anyone phone I had a problem with (nothing dangerous).... was a google phone, which after 2 years, they offered me an alternative phone as they no longer had any .... I got a Note 3 .... and thats been superb. I still use it, though my current is an iPhone 6S+ (which has been replaced twice because of touch issues.)

They dont make 'em like they used to!!!

Edited by les37b

I ask, as whilst we certainly have gone through baggage checks at the start of a cruise, each port we've stopped at hasnt necesarily had an xray machine. I'm fairly sure about that, though admit my memory may be at fault here.

However, I know I did on the Silversea cruises from Tower Bridge and Barcelona (and the 4 other embarkations at Tower Bridge I've been on for lunch), but I'm sure we didnt on points onward.... and I cant think they would let you walk through without warning (for obvious reasons.)

We may have in Amsterdam inside the terminal, but Im sure we didnt in Stockholm, Visby, Ronne. This year, we definitely didnt in Monaco, Livorno, Sorrento, Messina and the Greek ports we stopped at. (I may have in Civitavecchia - but that was purely because we walked to the ship and not use the coach.

As it now seems the Note 7 is finished and the been recalled, it would be rather daft that people dont send them back! Thinking back to a Galaxy S4 I once owned. - The battery got so hot, it expanded and broke the screen. It took a lot of convincing to get them to replace (as they were trying to claim I must have dropped it.) But fair play, they eventually did with and gave me a new phone. Anyone phone I had a problem with (nothing dangerous).... was a google phone, which after 2 years, they offered me an alternative phone as they no longer had any .... I got a Note 3 .... and thats been superb. I still use it, though my current is an iPhone 6S+ (which has been replaced twice because of touch issues.)

The ships I have sailed all had X-ray machines set up either just inside the doors of the ship or in their terminal. Every time. I had a box of chocolates filled with rum I had purchased as a gift taken (returned the final night) on RCCL after a port call in the Caribbean. The guys on Windstar were careful not to let the tote bag with wine go down the rollers after it went through the machine coming in from Hvar. They definitely had them set up returning from Santorini, because the guy in front of me had something which looked suspicious on the x-ray and they looked at it to make sure it was OK to bring on.

Les,

Alas, I can only speak to the cruises I have been on. Which unfortunately does not include every cruise line, and certainly not every port.

I can tell you that every Carnival ship I have seen has them, and every ship we have been on has them. (It is possible our first cruise did not, as I won't to claim to remember that detail of 1992 that well). We have only sailed (embarked) out of Miami, Port Canaveral, New Orleans, and Vancouver. They all had them.

It is very fair to say that I was surprised by the other posters statement because of my limited experiences. If you tell me that they don't do this in some ports, or on some cruise lines, then I would I accept it and thank you for the knowledge. I would only add the comment "I'm surprised in the times we live in, that they don't screen everyone, each time they get back on the ship.

I had a box of chocolates filled with rum I had purchased as a gift taken (returned the final night) on RCCL after a port call in the Caribbean.

I now find myself wondering what the alcohol content limit allowed would be? Rum Cake? Cough Syrup? Alcohol Wipes in a first aid kit? Left over beer battered fried chicken?

Domino, hope that didn't come across as confrontational. I was just seeking clarification.

I don't doubt that every carnival ship and all other large ships have scanners. silver Wind and Silver Cloud only carry a maximum of 296 passengers ... I think my last was about 260. And they would activively encourage you to bring on booze as it's super all inclusive and all drinks (whatever you want) are included. (So if you BYO their bill is less! Lol

We certainly went through X-ray machines in the embarkation port. I'm sure there was nothing like there was on vista where your hand luggage is checked. I'm 99.9% sure we just got on like you would getting on a train...but you personally were checked in as a paying guest before getting on board. I will ask the missus to confirm when she gets in but I'm sure there was nothing more than making sure of who you were.

As you say, in the world we live in, maybe they should, though to be honest it's easy enough to get want you want if you put your mind to it. I'm sure carnival are only looking for booze so your bar bill can't be reduced by drinking without buying from them.

Edited by les37b

I now find myself wondering what the alcohol content limit allowed would be? Rum Cake? Cough Syrup? Alcohol Wipes in a first aid kit? Left over beer battered fried chicken?

I imagine it would vary by cruise line. On RCCL I would pretty much assume if it registers more than. .000001 ABV, they will confiscate it.

Domino, hope that didn't come across as confrontational. I was just seeking clarification.

I don't doubt that every carnival ship and all other large ships have scanners. silver Wind and Silver Cloud only carry a maximum of 296 passengers ... I think my last was about 260. And they would activively encourage you to bring on booze as it's super all inclusive and all drinks (whatever you want) are included. (So if you BYO their bill is less! Lol

We certainly went through X-ray machines in the embarkation port. I'm sure there was nothing like there was on vista where your hand luggage is checked. I'm 99.9% sure we just got on like you would getting on a train...but you personally were checked in as a paying guest before getting on board. I will ask the missus to confirm when she gets in but I'm sure there was nothing more than making sure of who you were.

As you say, in the world we live in, maybe they should, though to be honest it's easy enough to get want you want if you put your mind to it. I'm sure carnival are only looking for booze so your bar bill can't be reduced by drinking without buying from them.

Windstar ships are about the same size or smaller, and they absolutely have metal detectors and X-ray machines on each ship. Not trying to say your recalled experience with a different line isn't accurate, but rather not all small ships lack X-ray and metal detectors in use at each port.

Les, not at all. You are preaching to the choir. I hope I didn't come across as doubtful or accusatory either. I appreciated your response and was genuinely interested in the answer. Just as I would like for the person who posted the original comment to simply explain like you did. A lot of people on here have WAY more experience than I do and I learn a lot by just reading.

As far as the screening. Yeah, it is needed for security, but they certainly use it to their fullest advantage. C'est La Vie it's their boat.

Les, not at all. You are preaching to the choir. I hope I didn't come across as doubtful or accusatory either. I appreciated your response and was genuinely interested in the answer. Just as I would like for the person who posted the original comment to simply explain like you did. A lot of people on here have WAY more experience than I do and I learn a lot by just reading.

As far as the screening. Yeah, it is needed for security, but they certainly use it to their fullest advantage. C'est La Vie it's their boat.

I just had a quick look elsewhere to see if I could see any mention in another thread.

Seems there is a suggestion they do indeed have x-ray machines - but rarely use them. I certainly do not recall ever going through one.

This thread has mention of them and others saying the same thing I've said - though someone has said they thought they had them. It makes sense they do (as you say.... the world we live in)....

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2318550&highlight=x-ray

I just had a quick look elsewhere to see if I could see any mention in another thread.

Seems there is a suggestion they do indeed have x-ray machines - but rarely use them. I certainly do not recall ever going through one.

This thread has mention of them and others saying the same thing I've said - though someone has said they thought they had them. It makes sense they do (as you say.... the world we live in)....

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2318550&highlight=x-ray

Interesting.

I also have the galaxy 6 and it shouldn't be a problem..

funny I have issues with the battery too; but put it on power saver and super charger too.

The question I have though is how is a TSA agent or port agent going to know if a user has a Note7 versus a Galaxy S7 or S6 or any other device? I know people should get rid of their Note7, but my S6 looks a lot like a note 7 and no one better tell me to turn it off or put it away as there are no issues with my 2 yr old phone... Except maybe my crappy battery life...

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

The only phone banned and ever mentioned is the Note 7. All other Samsung phones are completely fine and you should not have any issues.

I have flown 4 times in the last month or so and it has only mentioned the Note 7. I have the S7 Edge which is bigger than the S7 but no one has given it a second glance on a plane.

STOP LIVING IN FEAR PEOPLE AND STOP BELIEVING OR EVEN REWRITING WHAT THE NEWS MEDIA TELLS YOU.

The only phone banned and ever mentioned is the Note 7. All other Samsung phones are completely fine and you should not have any issues.

I have flown 4 times in the last month or so and it has only mentioned the Note 7. I have the S7 Edge which is bigger than the S7 but no one has given it a second glance on a plane.

STOP LIVING IN FEAR PEOPLE AND STOP BELIEVING OR EVEN REWRITING WHAT THE NEWS MEDIA TELLS YOU.

Don't take you iphone 7s on either!!!