Norwegian Escape - Hurricane Matthew

Zeprider

We're flying in Friday evening from NJ. Hoping that will work out, or, if necessary, still have enough time to get another flight in before Saturday Sail Away at 7:00.

Safe travels all.

Travel advisories up for air travel into Florida for Thursday and Friday. Check with your airline.

I have a thursday evening flight. According to tonights models the winds in FLL and MIA will be over 40 mph Thursday afternoon until mid-day Friday (at least) which means closed airports. Additionally, the models keep being pushed back so that could extend later into Fri/Fri Evening for the South FL area.

Mostlikely will cancel and take mt refund tommorow, drive down on Friday.

Would just like to remind everyone of how big the storm is. The cone that the NWS/NHC puts out is for the projected path of the center/eye of the storm ONLY, not the actual width of the entire system. No matter where this thing ends up, it's going to be a rough week for everyone. I hope everyone stays safe out there and my thoughts are with all the people of the island nations getting utterly devastated by the storm right now.

d3c9da2006aadbcb18a68fdf2a72dcff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are from Germany and we would arrive on Friday at 1pm. I hope they don't close the airport :(

I think you will be ok. The airport stays open until winds reach 40mph sustained.

I am curious where the Sky will go this Friday? Will Nassau be open? GSC wont be open. I don't see any variations on the Escape this weekend. The hurricane will be gone by boarding time.

Edited by david_sobe

I think you will be ok. The airport stays open until winds reach 40mph sustained.

I am curious where the Sky will go this Friday? Will Nassau be open? GSC wont be open. I don't see any variations on the Escape this weekend. The hurricane will be gone by boarding time.

yeah the models keep changing. It appears sustained winds of over 40mph will continue into Friday afternoon in the FLL/MIA area now. The other issue is this.... Most likely a departing flight from origin will cancel if the destination airport is not open at time of departure.

Another point for the Saturday departure (which I am on): Even if Port of Miami is open early SAT AM for Escape to come in.... they may still delay departure due to so many passengers getting delayed arriving.

There is a difference between optimism and wishful thinking in this situation. At this point I would plan on MIA area airports being closed Thursday through sometime on Friday....and it looks to be later on Friday at this point.

Edited by Deptacon

We are on the Saturday Escape cruise and are flying Saturday morning from Hartford to Atlanta and then FLL for a 1:30 pm arrival. I believe we will be good for air but am not sure if port will be operational or ship may delay and wait for delayed passengers for a day which would shorten cruise by a day. Still to early to call what will happen but hopefully all FLA residents stay safe during this storm.

yeah the models keep changing. It appears sustained winds of over 40mph will continue into Friday afternoon in the FLL/MIA area now. The other issue is this.... Most likely a departing flight from origin will cancel if the destination airport is not open at time of departure.

Another point for the Saturday departure (which I am on): Even if Port of Miami is open early SAT AM for Escape to come in.... they may still delay departure due to so many passengers getting delayed arriving.

There is a difference between optimism and wishful thinking in this situation. At this point I would plan on MIA area airports being closed Thursday through sometime on Friday....and it looks to be later on Friday at this point.

That is not correct. No one is calling for 40 mph sustained winds in Miami. It could happen if the storm wobbles west a hundred miles though. Will there be some feeder bands and gusty winds in Miami? Yes. Nowhere near 40 mph sustained.

No one is talking MIA or the port closing in Miami. They have not even closed the schools in Miami-Dade county yet.

The airport and port stay open. Do you realize what sustained winds are?

In downtown Miami as I type this the construction cranes are up and people working as normal.

Its not fair to create a panic to say everything is going to be closed. NCL already stated - NO CHANGES to cruises

Edited by david_sobe

It's going to be one big hot mess. Airline cancellations will create a domino effect that will affect hundreds of flights throughout the U.S. Looks like a lot of travel insurance claims will get filed.

Hope everyone's plans work out for them. More than anything, BE SAFE, don't take any unnecessary chances.

It's going to be one big hot mess. Airline cancellations will create a domino effect that will affect hundreds of flights throughout the U.S. Looks like a lot of travel insurance claims will get filed.

Hope everyone's plans work out for them. More than anything, BE SAFE, don't take any unnecessary chances.

YES! And I can scoop up a last minute deal on a booking!

That is not correct. No one is calling for 40 mph sustained winds in Miami. It could happen if the storm wobbles west a hundred miles though. Will there be some feeder bands and gusty winds in Miami? Yes. Nowhere near 40 mph sustained.

No one is talking MIA or the port closing in Miami. They have not even closed the schools in Miami-Dade county yet.

In downtown Miami as I type this the construction cranes are up and people working as normal.

Its not fair to create a panic to say everything is going to be closed. NCL already stated -

According to Cruise Critic, now the ports are closed and schools will be closed Thursday and Friday. I feel as though it's very possible the airports may close.

Edited by 63galaxie

... now the ports are closed and schools will be closed Thursday and Friday. I feel as though it's very possible the airports may close.

Taking a look at live "Flightboard" app for MIA arrivals & departures, AA as the major carrier has begun cancelling some flights this morning ... along with a few diverted ones, plus scattered delays (rather normal on any given days, however). MCO - Orlando Int'l Airport is still operating close to normal at the moment, the closest to PC. Expect more airports further up & along the SE coast to see flight cancellations and delays as the storm track get revised and more precise in that 24 to 36 forecast window.

Travel waivers are up and posted on their website - this is all leading up to and mitigating the effects for massive cancellations, sooner or later, and the distinct possibility of closing the airport for safety ... rested crews will have difficulties getting to the airport, even if they can get catering and ground support to work the planes in between lightening, wind & downpours, etc.

CCL is about to announced their changes for upcoming sailings of the southeast U.S. now being finalized - per their own website announcement.

Post-storm recovery, highways and secondary roads leading to ports could be blocked by down trees & power lines, etc. even if the damages are managed. Good luck, safe travel and never attempt to try thru flood water, especially in unfamiliar areas.

Its not fair to create a panic to say everything is going to be closed. NCL already stated - NO CHANGES to cruises

Port of Miami and Port Canaveral has been announced for closures.

Airports close/shut down flight operations for 40mph winds or higher. FLL and MIA will shutdown tommorow.... if you want to place a side bet I will take it.

Weather Channel is report Tropical Storm winds (and the app if you look up FLL or MIA) for winds of 40-60mph Thursday and Friday. In South Florida then moving up to central Florida coast line Thursday into Friday. Those are SUSTAINED winds of 40-79mph.

Its not creating a panic. Pay attention to what is going on. I work disaster response....I know the logistics of these situations.

Edited by Deptacon

We are currently on the escape in tortola. Still no word about nassau. Tomorrow is a sea day and friday is nassau stop.

I am wondering if the port of Miami will be reopened by Saturday for your return.

Its not fair to create a panic to say everything is going to be closed. NCL already stated -

According to Cruise Critic, now the ports are closed and schools will be closed Thursday and Friday. I feel as though it's very possible the airports may close.

Uh...You might want to turn on the radio or TV and inform yourself...

http://www.miamidade.gov/portmiami/

http://www.local10.com/weather/weather-hurricane/broward-county-cancels-classes-thursday-and-friday

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article105852867.html

Port of Miami and Port Canaveral has been announced for closures.

Airports close/shut down flight operations for 40mph winds or higher. FLL and MIA will shutdown tommorow.... if you want to place a side bet I will take it.

Weather Channel is report Tropical Storm winds (and the app if you look up FLL or MIA) for winds of 40-60mph Thursday and Friday. In South Florida then moving up to central Florida coast line Thursday into Friday. Those are SUSTAINED winds of 40-79mph.

Its not creating a panic. Pay attention to what is going on. I work disaster response....I know the logistics of these situations.

david_sobe is probably feeling a little silly (or stupid) right now.