Best ship for New Year's Eve?

FLUFFLULA

What ship would you recommend for New Year's Eve? There are 4 of us all in early 60's, so we want a nice, but not crazy/wild night. We're having a hard time choosing a ship as you can see from the list below. We've sailed RCI and Princess most recently, and Carnival several years ago. We haven't been on NCL or HAL before. DH and I really like RCI and Princess, but lots of people also like HAL and NCL, so we can't decide which would be best.

Choices:

Carnival Freedom, Carnival Sunshine, Carnival Vista (never been on these)

HAL Konsingdam

NCL Dawn

RCI Harmony (have been on Allure and Oasis)

Caribbean Princess (have been on this ship in the last year)

What ship would you recommend for New Year's Eve? There are 4 of us all in early 60's, so we want a nice, but not crazy/wild night. We're having a hard time choosing a ship as you can see from the list below. We've sailed RCI and Princess most recently, and Carnival several years ago. We haven't been on NCL or HAL before. DH and I really like RCI and Princess, but lots of people also like HAL and NCL, so we can't decide which would be best.

Choices:

HAL Konsingdam

NCL Dawn

The one with least ground travel to get to the ship, traveling in the winter is not easy. We like doing a New Years cruise out of our home port, take a taxi to the ship... start the New Year off right.

Choices:

HAL Konsingdam

NCL Dawn

If it were me, I would sail on one of the three Celebrity ships. Much better than the above ships and they do New Year's right.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Whenever anyone asks about "best" I always tell them that what's best for one might not be best for you. I'm in your age range, and if I wanted a nice, but not overly crazy time, I would avoid the likes of Carnival or NCL and I would stick with Princess, Celebrity or HAL where you probably will see less kids/teens and those who party hearty and have a higher average age demographic.

Why all this focus on ease of getting to the ship? Just because it is easy to reach doesn't make it necessarily the best experience once you are aboard.

Like so many things, it depends on what is important to YOU and what you want to pay for your experiences. You can go aboard the Crystal Symphony and have NYE fireworks in Sydney harbour. Not bad as experiences go, but do you want to pay that kind of freight? Or a small elegant black-tie evening on Silversea? Or more of a party atmosphere with Carnival or NCL? Do you want it with 3000+ people or what?

Ask yourself the questions as to what is important to you in a cruise, beyond just the NYE celebrations. Bet you find your answer.

If it were me, I would sail on one of the three Celebrity ships. Much better than the above ships and they do New Year's right.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

We were on Silhouette for NYE two years ago and thought it was pretty sedate -- more so than we had hoped for. Not that the ship wasn't beautiful and the experiences was great -- just that the actual NYE event didn't really live up.

This year we are trying Regal Princess.

Edited to add: For me, the "best" NYE cruise would be one where the ship was docked in Venice for the evening.

Edited by cruisemom42

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. We decided to go for the Carnival Vista because it is a new ship, with a good itinerary. Evidently lots of other people has the same idea because we had a hard time finding two good cabins! Anyway, thanks again for sharing some good things to remember in choosing a cruise. :)

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. We decided to go for the Carnival Vista because it is a new ship, with a good itinerary. Evidently lots of other people has the same idea because we had a hard time finding two good cabins! Anyway, thanks again for sharing some good things to remember in choosing a cruise. :)

Enjoy, I don't think there were any bad choices.:D