Wee bit of advice

midgefood

Hi

I am looking for a wee bit of advice!

My in laws are looking at cruises for 2017 however my mum in law has restricted mobility & uses a scooter. We are looking for a cruise that can give them the freedom to wander ports on their own if they don't fancy an excursion! So hilly areas or cobble stones are a no go.

They are young at heart & are foodies who enjoy trying a variety of food without being tied down to a formal set dinners.

Can any experienced cruisers recommend any cruise lines/itineraries?

Many thanks.

All of the lines that sail in the USA have handicapped accessible cabins...

A good travel agent would be a big benefit. They shouldn't book an itinerary that has any "tender" ports, as scooters are generally not allowed. Can your mum walk at all? If she can, then ignore what I just said!

No cruise line requires you book excursions. You are always allowed to wonder off on your own.

Almost all cruise lines have flexible dining setups.

I have not heard of any cruise line that won't allow you to tender ashore, even if you use a scooter. In fact, you would be amazed the effort the crew will make to get you ashore when you require help. Some might stop you if the tendering conditions are poor.

Where do you want to go? When do you want to go? Important questions to narrow down.

Edited by CruiserBruce

After a woman fell while boarding/debarking a tender and died, Cunard now requires that all guests wishing to use the tenders to have sufficient independent mobility to negotiate steps and traverse a gap of up to 45 cm/18 inches. Anyone wishing to board the tender will need to demonstrate this ability via a mobility test prior to tender embarkation by stepping unaided over a distance of 45 cm/18 inches.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/fleet/tender

I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes more widespread.

The Cruising Disabled board has lots of info.

Some cruise lines and/or ports have roll on tenders.

On short cruises to Catalina (Los Angeles), Carnival contracts the old Ferries that can accommodate power chairs.

Just read about another port that has roll on tenders (IIRC i think it is Princess Cay).

Edited by SadieN

Just having a think about itineraries.... If you're sailing from Southampton, then La Coruna and Vigo are close to the town centre; Cartagena is good because it's flat walking around the harbour and into the shopping area- I'm not sure whether it's cobbles near the Roman amphitheatre; beautiful Malaga uses a shuttle bus to town, but you can walk/use the scooter from the ship and along the long pier past the lighthouse. Cadiz docks are almost in the centre of town, but I think the ancient part of town is cobbled...but there is a walk round the promenade.

That's all Spain so far..... :) Add Lisbon to the list, and it's an Iberian Peninsula cruise.

I'm sure there will be other ideas.

Are they somewhat set on boarding the ship in AS PARTICULAR PORt?

want to s ail Carribbean, Austgralia, Hawaii, Europe?

Wiyttthou that sort of in formation, it is impossible to make any suggestion.

Edited by sail7seas

I have not heard of any cruise line that won't allow you to tender ashore, even if you use a scooter. In fact, you would be amazed the effort the crew will make to get you ashore when you require help. Some might stop you if the tendering conditions are poor.

Princess has stated in the past that there are ports where tendering was unavailable.

Hi

I am looking for a wee bit of advice!

My in laws are looking at cruises for 2017 however my mum in law has restricted mobility & uses a scooter. We are looking for a cruise that can give them the freedom to wander ports on their own if they don't fancy an excursion! So hilly areas or cobble stones are a no go.

They are young at heart & are foodies who enjoy trying a variety of food without being tied down to a formal set dinners.

Can any experienced cruisers recommend any cruise lines/itineraries?

Many thanks.

Since they are foodies, perhaps they would enjoy a Celebrity cruise- especially in a suite - I would think the Solstice class ships - preferably one that has QSine would be right up their alley - that's a specialty restaurant with many different types of cuisine - you could go there many times and have a different experience each time. On the other hand, the Haven suite restaurant on NCL's newest ships is fantastic as well and NCL has lots of different specialty restaurants, however, you need nightly reservations as they get sold out by the first night of the cruise. The food on NCL is not quite as good as on Celebrity.

Beyond that, they should think about Azamara or Crystal or Regent or Seaborne or Silversea - of any of the other upmarket cruises which will have the upscale dining they desire. The smaller the ship, the more likely to pull into smaller more out of the way ports - much more manageable on your own with the town and restaurants nearby. It is possible to do ports that are more complicated simply by hiring a private driver in most Mediterranean ports.

If they are interested in Mexico and the Caribbean, many of these ports are really very accessible. I would suggest:

St. Thomas

St. Maarten

St. Lucia (arrange to take the St. Lucia by land and sea tour)

San Juan Puerto Rico

Cozumel

Cancun

Another thought would be a partial or full transit of the Panama Canal - this would stop at a variety of Caribbean islands as well as having the very interesting day onboard transiting the canal.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

That's all Spain so far.....

Also in Spain Barcelona is very wheelchair/scooter friendly. Best subway system we've seen and generally flat. Las Ramblas is very easy - and interesting. Palma on Mallorca was also very easy to get around in town.

Also in Spain Barcelona is very wheelchair/scooter friendly. Best subway system we've seen and generally flat. Las Ramblas is very easy - and interesting. Palma on Mallorca was also very easy to get around in town.

Excellent- so it could be right round the Iberian peninsula to Palma, and also include Gibraltar, where the streets are pretty flat to the heart of the town. :cool:

Excellent- so it could be right round the Iberian peninsula to Palma, and also include Gibraltar, where the streets are pretty flat to the heart of the town. :cool:

it is very long walk down the pier. Down town looks very much like St.. Thom as. :)

it is very long walk down the pier. Down town looks very much like St.. Thom as. :)

Hi, S7S... hope you're well. x

Gib seems to have had a bit of a makeover...I used to hate that walk into town, but it's all new buildings now. The taxi drivers also sell shuttle tickets, though I'm not sure how many taxis/vans can get a scooter on board. I think it was €4 last time I was there. Once into town, it's quite flat.