does rci's insurance cover cancellation due to weather?

Hi, we are on the oasis now, (seas are smooth) and die to return to port Saturday. My relatives were supposed to join us for the next cruise leaving oct 8th, but they cannot drive here now due to the storm. They bought the travel insurance through royal Caribbean. They were told they would only get 75% of their money back! Does anyone know if this is the policy? Seems to me they should get all their money back,less the insurance! Please help!

Here is a link to the cruise line's insurance.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithGallery.do?pagename=cruise_insurance&cS=NAVBAR&pnav=3&snav=7

If the ship sails, it is up to them to get there. Still too early to know what is going to happen with that cruise anyway. If they are driving down, they have more flexibility than someone flying in. They are going to have to wait it out.

There is coverage if they cannot get to the port because of airport or port closings or cancelled flights or cruises, or, for that matter, train or bus schedule problems. The wording is "common carrier". If driving, there is no coverage for bad weather. We drive often, so I am quite aware of this.

Hi, we are on the oasis now, (seas are smooth) and die to return to port Saturday. My relatives were supposed to join us for the next cruise leaving oct 8th, but they cannot drive here now due to the storm. They bought the travel insurance through royal Caribbean. They were told they would only get 75% of their money back! Does anyone know if this is the policy? Seems to me they should get all their money back,less the insurance! Please help!

It really depends on the type of policy. I checked mine for an upcoming cruise last night, and I would be covered, however it's a comprehensive policy purchased independent of the cruise line. I would say with a cruise line policy, they may be out of luck.

Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure where they are coming from, but if they really wanted to get there it seems like it might be possible to swing west over to the gulf coast and drive over to the port on Saturday.

Edited by bouhunter

RCI rep called yesterday to "welcome us back" as C&A members. When I asked about the possibilities created by the hurricane for cruises this weekend she stated that RCI has never cancelled a cruise for weather and it is up to us to get there. Unfortunately we travel space available, retired airline employee, and as such the travel insurance does not kick in for flying. When looking at driving, the storm will be over northern Florida late Friday then imagine trying to get to Ft. Lauderdale with over a million folks who evacuated and are trying to get back home. Add to that the possibility of no power, roads blocked by high water and debris, no fuel and no groceries and it makes driving a very iffy option. My guess is that the ships will sail with only 50% of the planned passengers. Hopefully we can lucky and get there in time. Oh yes, USAA trip insurance is all but useless for this type of situation as they explained all the caveats in the policy we purchased, to include what determines if a hotel property is uninhabitable. It actually made me laugh.

RCI rep called yesterday to "welcome us back" as C&A members. When I asked about the possibilities created by the hurricane for cruises this weekend she stated that RCI has never cancelled a cruise for weather and it is up to us to get there. Unfortunately we travel space available, retired airline employee, and as such the travel insurance does not kick in for flying. When looking at driving, the storm will be over northern Florida late Friday then imagine trying to get to Ft. Lauderdale with over a million folks who evacuated and are trying to get back home. Add to that the possibility of no power, roads blocked by high water and debris, no fuel and no groceries and it makes driving a very iffy option. My guess is that the ships will sail with only 50% of the planned passengers. Hopefully we can lucky and get there in time. Oh yes, USAA trip insurance is all but useless for this type of situation as they explained all the caveats in the policy we purchased, to include what determines if a hotel property is uninhabitable. It actually made me laugh.

Another example of phone reps who really don't know what is going on...a couple years ago Royal Did indeed cancel a cruise due to weather...when the Brillance of the Seas could not get back into Tampa due to fog...they ended up cancelling the upcoming cruise...I was surprised at the time...as it is Extremely rare to have a cruise cancelled...but ANYTHING is possible...

Exactly! So they are supposed to risk their lives to drive? And it will be impossible traffic even early morning Saturday morning if they drove all night to get here! We are talking millions of people trying to get back home! I'm so upset for them, they will be out over $4000 WITH INSURANCE!

Exactly! So they are supposed to risk their lives to drive? And it will be impossible traffic even early morning Saturday morning if they drove all night to get here! We are talking millions of people trying to get back home! I'm so upset for them, they will be out over $4000 WITH INSURANCE!

Wouldn't that be an argument of knowing what your insurance covers when you purchase it?

We usually get the insurance through Royal Caribbean because until now it has been because of a concern due to illness.

Right now, if the storm causes one of our oaks to crash through our house - we are insured. Otherwise, it is a 75% refund. The rep did say because we are in an evacuation area it is up to the underwriters to yea or nay a claim.

It looks like the storm has picked up some speed and is projected to head east before it hits SC, so we shall see.

There is also the concern that Port Canaveral might not open by Sunday. Curious to see where Freedom lands.

I recall way back in October of either 2004 or 2005 Royal Caribbean cancelled a cruise due to a hurricane. My sister and her DH were booked and a couple of weeks before the cruise she cancelled it when they changed one of the ports. We watched and saw that some cruises were cancelled.

I'm so upset for them, they will be out over $4000 WITH INSURANCE!

:confused::confused::confused:

How are they gonna be out 4000.00 with a "cancel for any reason" policy that provides a 75% refund in the form of a future cruise credit? How much did they pay for that cruise! :eek:

:confused::confused::confused:

How are they gonna be out 4000.00 with a "cancel for any reason" policy that provides a 75% refund in the form of a future cruise credit? How much did they pay for that cruise! :eek:

They have 2 teenage children, booked 2 balcony cabins, paid almost 4000.00, yes. So if they get a future cruise 75% credit, that's great but they are still out almost a thousand.

We usually get the insurance through Royal Caribbean because until now it has been because of a concern due to illness.

Right now, if the storm causes one of our oaks to crash through our house - we are insured. Otherwise, it is a 75% refund. The rep did say because we are in an evacuation area it is up to the underwriters to yea or nay a claim.

It looks like the storm has picked up some speed and is projected to head east before it hits SC, so we shall see.

There is also the concern that Port Canaveral might not open by Sunday. Curious to see where Freedom lands.

I recall way back in October of either 2004 or 2005 Royal Caribbean cancelled a cruise due to a hurricane. My sister and her DH were booked and a couple of weeks before the cruise she cancelled it when they changed one of the ports. We watched and saw that some cruises were cancelled.

I just read on the RCI website that the Majesty of the Seas cruise sailing from Port Canaveral has been cancelled. Passengers can receive a full refund credited back to the way the cruise was paid for or they may receive 150% credit towards a future cruise.

Update from our Florida Governor, Rick Scott:

The airports in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, and Orlando have been closed, due to Hurricane Mathew.

The Port Canaveral has been closed as well.

One of the few key Florida, vacation destination airports open, is Tampa.

George

Miami beach, FL

Edited by gkbiiii

First of all, my Dad was an airline employee and we flew space available. My parents never, ever relied on flying on passes when their travel plans were not very flexible. They paid for tickets rather than relying on passes. I think when it involves a cruise with not a lot of "insurance" days built into the trip, it is not very prudent to rely on airline passes. And most especially during hurricane and winter season.

I think most of you will luck out because I think most cruises will cancel that are due to sail on Saturday, but next time you might want to rethink using non-rev passes when you need to get to the port in a timely manner.

I just read on the RCI website that the Majesty of the Seas cruise sailing from Port Canaveral has been cancelled. Passengers can receive a full refund credited back to the way the cruise was paid for or they may receive 150% credit towards a future cruise.

150%? Sold!! I'd take that. Too bad I'm not booked, haha. I think that's a great offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums