Did you find it safe to have your sweaters etc. washed/dry cleaned on Princess?

anteaters

Being elite, we love packing less and getting our clothes laundered for free. We've been pretty lucky so far, just having a few very small problems and one pair of jeans shrunk a bit. But I'm wondering about having them do my cotton and acrylic (or other material) sweaters which I'd like to wear for our coming cold weather cruise. If you have any experience with these, please let me know what you would suggest. Oh, and have your jeans come out all right? I've been afraid to have more laundered just in case shrinking is typical. Hmmm, and I have some comfortable velour slacks and tops...Has anyone tried doing those? Thanks!

Being elite, we love packing less and getting our clothes laundered for free. We've been pretty lucky so far, just having a few very small problems and one pair of jeans shrunk a bit. But I'm wondering about having them do my cotton and acrylic (or other material) sweaters which I'd like to wear for our coming cold weather cruise. If you have any experience with these, please let me know what you would suggest. Oh, and have your jeans come out all right? I've been afraid to have more laundered just in case shrinking is typical. Hmmm, and I have some comfortable velour slacks and tops...Has anyone tried doing those? Thanks!

I wouldn't send anything delicate to the laundry. Even though I get it free. I will tell you how downmarket I am these days - everything I take on a cruise came from the Goodwill store. Even then I don't like to risk some of the clothes in the laundry.

At dinner once, a waiter spilled something on my husband's sweater. They offered to clean it. When it came back, my grandson could wear it. We didn't make a big deal out of it, because it wasn't a really good sweater. I don't know if they laundered or dry cleaned it. I'm Elite, but I do my own laundry. I don't trust anyone else to do my laundry.

Arlene

Hmmmm, What to bring will be a hard decision. We have never done self-laundry on a cruise, just overpacked enough to last the whole time for our first years and then once elite, have used their free service for almost everything but never actually sweaters. Maybe I can just bring a couple of older sweaters that I wouldn't grieve over....but I like to look decent in the MDR at night... I appreciate your replies. This will be on the Pacific Princess if it makes any difference....

Hmmmm, What to bring will be a hard decision. We have never done self-laundry on a cruise, just overpacked enough to last the whole time for our first years and then once elite, have used their free service for almost everything but never actually sweaters. Maybe I can just bring a couple of older sweaters that I wouldn't grieve over....but I like to look decent in the MDR at night... I appreciate your replies. This will be on the Pacific Princess if it makes any difference....

I send out only pants (jeans, dockers, ladies cotton slacks). We always take a picture first, this was told to us by another cruiser. (for ID if lost). Anything else, I wash myself so I have control of cold water and how long to use the very hot dryers (if at all).

hAVE used the free laundry ever since it was available Never had any trouble Even dinner jcket was ok anda I know they no longer dry clean as such. I probably would not send silk but do not have much in that line anyway:rolleyes:

My jeans always seem to shrink on cruises, but I've never sent them to the laundry. :p

No i would not.

We made frequent use of the free laundry/dry cleaning service on our British Isles cruise in May. A couple of sweaters and dress slacks for DH went out for dry-cleaning, jeans and casual slacks and shirts went to the regular laundry. No problems at all, everything came back just fine, no shrinking or fading. However, I agree I wouldn't risk anything too delicate or expensive.

Yes, those Elite laundry/cleaning perks are questionable.

First few cruises after becoming Elite we later found tiny holes in several tshirts and pools and DH found frayed collars on his dress shirts.

Now the only things we sent to launder are socks, underwear, and the odd item that we do not place too much value on.

We mark a lot of our items as "clean" only and even then do not entrust anything fragile or very expensive. We have had no problems with that.

However on a transatlantic cruise with tons of Elites onboard, after waiting three days our clothing on hangers was full of creases.

We mark a lot of our items as "clean" only and even then do not entrust anything fragile or very expensive.

I do the same with my jeans but the wife swears that they shrunk a pair of her jeans during cleaning. She's finished with it all. Now we resort to washing out items (socks, underwear, etc) in the sink each day before dinner & their dry by the next day.

I'm going to try the cleaning again for my jeans next cruise.

This will be my first elite cruise coming up in March. I have had suites a few times but was reluctant to let them do my laundry. Can you request they just wash your items and not dry them? Shrinkage is my fear. My clothes shrink enough after about 3-4 days on the ship!

This will be my first elite cruise coming up in March. I have had suites a few times but was reluctant to let them do my laundry. Can you request they just wash your items and not dry them? Shrinkage is my fear. My clothes shrink enough after about 3-4 days on the ship!

You're too funny ;) . Yes, there is laundry clothes shrinkage and too much good food/salt clothes shrinkage but my original CC question was definitely concerning the laundry aspect. That's an interesting request, to get the clothes washed and not dried...I don't know about that but there was some option, I believe, not to have an item cleaned but just to have it de-creased/ironed/whatever they do to make the clothes look good after being returned to us. We have had great luck with all DH's shirts and my cotton/polyester blouses usually looking better than when I do them at home. Oh, I have had some fading of the color blue especially--I threw one top out when I got home because of that.

We send out only sturdy items, and use the passenger self-service laundry for the delicates and things I don't want in hot water and/or a hot dryer.

If it was an acrylic everyday kind of sweater that I felt needed to be laundered I would put in the washer on cold on the gentlest cycle, and dry it on low until it was damp, then lay it to dry the rest of the way. For really lovely sweaters, I wait for my drycleaner at home.

The ship's laundry hasn't ruined anything we we've sent out over the years, but I am pretty fussy about what they do get from us. . They are great with most of my husband's things, and we've let them do some of his Tommy Bahama silk shirts. All my delicates I launder myself, along with some of his fine gauge knit golf shirts.

Ship's laundry is a fantastic perk though. It is great to send out the t-shirt, casual short and slacks, men's boxers and socks, my sturdy slacks....it cuts the do-it-yourself laundry loads way down. And it would at zero if I weren't so fussy....

Now then, Princess ships have yet to rid themselves of a chronic infection of garment gremlins. Every night these nasty beings take in every seam of every outfit by 1/16th of an inch, relentlessly, night after night, on every cruise. It's not the dryers, it is the garment gremlins. I've personally heard them giggle as I unwrap the chocolate that I find on my pillow each night before going to sleep.

Edited by ggprincess2004

One thing I continually get a kick out of, after being home for some months - something tickling in my clothing, and voila! A Princess laundry tag taped into an inner seam of something I have not worn since being laundered on the cruise.

Usually about then when I start perusing the Princess website for a future cruise. Subliminal advertising, lol?