Rocky weather on Mexican Riviera Cruise?

belgirl

OK I know this has probably been asked a billion times but...

I booked my parents on the Mexican Riviera cruise leaving November 5th from San Diego. Their friends are going as well, and they are freaking out because they are telling my parents that the cruise will be extremely rocky. Now, I know from personal experience that you can NEVER predict how the weather and waves are going to be, but is there anyone with experience on this cruise that can give some insight?

Your right, nobody can tell you for sure how the seas or weather will be. When we went it was a pretty bumpy ride the first day and especially the last day. Definitely rougher heading back north into the current. Only cruise out of 30+ that my DW has ever gotten sea sick on. ;)

Sometimes the first 24 hours and the last 24 hours are a bit, but not so much that ''the bags" come out.

Tell your folks to ignore their friends' admonitions. In fact have them bet on the outcome, say 2 days worth of hotel charges one way or another.

Jim

If there is any concern then have them take a meclizine-based pill at bedtime. Meclizine pills are sold over the counter as a variety of branded products (check the active ingredient). It is extremely important to take the meclizine BEFORE they feel seasick. Start the night before the cruise. Better safe than sorry.

I have not noticed any side effects from meclizine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meclizine

igraf

I booked my parents on the Mexican Riviera cruise leaving November 5th from San Diego. Their friends are going as well, and they are freaking out because they are telling my parents that the cruise will be extremely rocky. Now, I know from personal experience that you can NEVER predict how the weather and waves are going to be, but is there anyone with experience on this cruise that can give some insight?

Edited by igraf

Folks that truly "freak out" about the thought of a ship that might move upon the sea....would be better off taking a land vacation. The reality is that any cruise ship and cruise can (and does) move in waters that have swells or high waves. This is just a part of cruising. Perhaps they will be lucky and have a glassy smooth cruise...or perhaps they will rock and roll. But if just thinking about the risk ruins one's day.....they are on the wrong kind of vacation.

Hank

Meclizine seems to work for me, 12.5 mg (half strength); one can pick it up from the Guest Relations desk if you forget to bring some, or feel sea sick on the trip. In my case, it seems to work in about 15 minutes, with no real side effects. I love cruising, and with this medicine, I feel fine!

These people are friends of your parents? :eek: What cruising experience to they have? Have they cruised enough to be able to tell what is "extremely rocky" vs "ship moving"?

We had one night, on one cruise, heading back to San Diego that was a bit rough. It was nothing worse than any other slightly rough water we have experienced. I am not saying bad weather doesn't happen, just that we haven't had issues with it on that route. As you can see from other replies, some other people have had a different experience.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I wanted my parents to see these comments to back up what I have been telling them. They aren't worried- they have cruised several times before, but it's their friends who can be a tad neurotic. 😉

These people are friends of your parents? :eek:

I was thinking the same thing; what would people who don't like them be telling them? Seriously, I think they should follow all the excellent advice given above, and not worry about it overmuch.

With the thought of taking this cruise in the future, would going in October improve the odds of smooth sailing, or is that not a factor?

There are remnants of typhoons hitting Vancouver and the Western seaboard as we speak. I don't think going in October is a guarantee.

With the thought of taking this cruise in the future, would going in October improve the odds of smooth sailing, or is that not a factor?

I seem to recall we had a nasty typhoon in Oct...a couple of years ago. Just missed Puerto Vallarta.

Hank

• 4 weeks later...
If anyone is interested it was smooth sailing the entire cruise--lol.

Good to hear!

I was going to add that out of 3 cruises for this port only one was choppy and it was due to a hurricane. First time I actually saw lightening from my balcony and very close. Needless to say, I spent the afternoon watching a movie with the curtains drawn tightly. We missed a port (think it was Puerto Vallarta) but got to go to a tiny little village port instead.

Otherwise, this is a smooth itinerary. Have had much rougher Carribbean cruises overall.