Desserts

I have noticed in the photos I've seen of MDR menus that the little vegetarian symbol does not appear by the desserts. Does anyone know if that is because they all contain gelatin? I've noticed that even desserts that are fruit-based don't have the vegetarian symbol.

I don't think they all contain gelatin, I just think that RCI don't have a clue that the majority of vegetarians don't eat gelatin, so they don't label them because hey, all desserts are vegetarian right? I mean they don't contain any actual meat or anything.

If I want a specific dessert and I'm not sure if it contains gelatin I either ask if they can find out or I skip it depending on how bothered I am about said dessert. Some desserts, you can kind of guess if they contain gelatin or not, others you have to ask about (cheesecake is never obvious and I'm still not sure about the key lime pie, as some have said yes, and others no, so I generally avoid it which is sad as I've heard it's quite good).

Agreed - so awful. I mean, I will try the odd dessert but most of the time I am left wanting more... I mean, not "more" but more. hehe The changes over the years are not for the better, in my opinion. My beloved carrot cake with delicious frosting has been reduced to a mini carrot muffin. Blech. The sugar-free key lime pie used to be amazing.... but now is a gelatinous mess.

Oh well. :p

but the regular key lime pie is very good, at least to me it is

I have noticed in the photos I've seen of MDR menus that the little vegetarian symbol does not appear by the desserts. Does anyone know if that is because they all contain gelatin? I've noticed that even desserts that are fruit-based don't have the vegetarian symbol.

Unfortunately I have found that you can not relay on the symbol. On my last cruise (not rccl) I saw a dish that had fish listed as Vegetarian. Looking at a menu recently from rccl I saw ceasar salad listed as vegetarian. Your best bet is to talk to a chef and confirm what you are eating is vegetarian. And when you talk to them let them know specifically what you require. So many lax vegetarian give people the wrong idea of what we will and will not eat.

I always thought that biscuits in the UK and maybe other parts of europe are what we here in American know as cookies. Are biscuits also crackers? I don't usually have cookies with my cheese!!!:eek::D

Biscuits in the UK are either sweet (cookies) or savoury (crackers). In Australia we are more likely to refer to cookies as sweet biscuits and crackers as dry biscuits.

Leigh

This makes me sad to hear because this coming sunday is our first royal cruise. We have been on two carnival cruises, and one reason I nearly stuck with them was because I LOVE their chocolate lava cake. I was really hoping there was just one really awesome treat to enjoy through the cruise that you cant get anywhere else, like carnivals lava cake.

That carnival melting cake is the best dessert ever!! Did Royal have anything similar??

IMHO....desserts are where RCI is lacking. Occasionally I'd get something really good in the mdr or windjammer, but for the most part they look a lot better than they taste. Usually just tasteless with a strange consistency/texture. Long gone are the "real" cheesecakes. :(

Actually I have found the best desserts are in the MDR at lunch. Also, some good choices at dinner - remember to also look at the classics - chocolate royale? is one I have in mind.

I think that one of the best deserts is on the kids menu - and is available to everyone. It's a chocolate brownie sundae - and if you want, ask your waiter to add a chocolate chip cookie on top!!!

Mini Brownie Madness.

I agree that the desserts look better than they taste. A few years ago I did have a good chocolate cake at Giovanni's. Of all the cruise lines we've been on, the Carnival ones have been the tastiest. My DH usually orders a fruit plate for dessert. I like the idea of getting a dessert from the children's menu.

• 3 months later...
I don't know, but feel free to ask for a bowl of fresh berries or fruit. It will be done. :)

I like this suggestion and will definitely keep it in mind for 'next time' because I was disappointed with most of the desserts I tried and rarely ate more than a bite or two of any of them.

My friend and I shared and sampled one another's desserts each evening so I tried several ... and I was not as impressed by most of the desserts as I had expected to be ... but its a 'texture' issue for me more so than a taste issue. Wayyyy too many of them had too much of a gelatin or slightly rubbery texture for my preferences.

I was especially disappointed to find that the tiramisu was like that ... the part that should have been a delicious yummy creamy layer had a very congealed texture. Almost every 'cream' or 'mousse' type pie/dessert had that same weird textue. And, the carrot cake was incredibly dense and almost clay like in texture, as opposed to being moist bust still sort of airy/fluffy and cakey. Though the icing and the nuts on top were delicious.

The absolute BEST chocolatey dessert I tried was the Bûche de Noël which was on the special Holiday/Christmas menu. It was VERY good ... yummy chocolate ... light fluffy cake, smooth creaming filling, etc. Definitely would recommend it ... with a cup of coffee!

And the blueberry/peach crumble was good, but I only ate the part that had vanilla ice cream on top ... if I had it to do over ... I would order it again but with extra ice cream.

One of the best desserts I had was simply strawberries with sugar free vanilla ice cream ... which didn't even taste sugar free ... and the berries were marinated in something yummy.

I used to love the sugar free Coconut cake, but they changed it and added Lichee or some disgusting thing that ruined it. I generally like the chocolate stuff and last April on Liberty they served a choco mini muffin during breakfast (they were walking around Windjammer serving it) That was fantastic! But the other stuff...meh. In MDR I've taken to just ordering vanilla ice cream.

Actually I have found the best desserts are in the MDR at lunch. Also, some good choices at dinner - remember to also look at the classics - chocolate royale? is one I have in mind.

Agreed - try lunch in MDR. Last Feb - Serenade had a great chocolate dessert for dinner meal - think it was available as a "classic" every night.

Unfortunately I have found that you can not relay on the symbol. On my last cruise (not rccl) I saw a dish that had fish listed as Vegetarian. Looking at a menu recently from rccl I saw ceasar salad listed as vegetarian. Your best bet is to talk to a chef and confirm what you are eating is vegetarian. And when you talk to them let them know specifically what you require. So many lax vegetarian give people the wrong idea of what we will and will not eat.

That's the "snow crab" salad thing? That menu has been wrong since 2014. I managed to come upon the head chef on a cruise that year and chatted. They missed the veggie symbol next to the pasta item that is vegetarian and put it on the snow crab thing. He said he'd get it taken care of. Eh hem.

I don't eat cheesecake or anything that looks like they think needs help holding consistency because I figure it's got gelatin in it. I will try the chocolate cake. If they are adding gelatin they are doing something wrong. The cookies are awful.

We basically add a bit to our budget and get Ben and Jerrys for dessert.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After dinner, my favorite dessert is the scoop ice cream in the Windjammer with various toppings. The key lime pie and strawberry cheesecake are generally pretty good. On Liberty in September, they had a crepe bar in the Windjammer during dinner hours. Hubby really enjoyed that. I plan to give it a try in December.

At lunch and for snacks throughout the day, we can usually find something yummy in the Cafe Promenade. The brioche is outstanding. We like soft, chewy cookies, so they're hit and miss for us - sometimes super soft, sometimes very crunchy- but our favorite are the coconut ranger cookies.

Does the WJ (Freedom class) do scoop ice cream and crepes every night at dinner or just certain nights?

YES - the coconut ranger cookies are the best! I'm bringing a ziploc bag with me next time for a to go bag. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could also mean they contain milk or butter as animal products.

Could also mean they contain milk or butter as animal products.

But that would make them vegan and not vegetarian and since they don't mark items as vegan, only vegetarian then that would be wrong. No, my theory is that they don't seem to know that vegetarians do not eat gelatine and therefore think all desserts are suitable for vegetarians because "they do not contain any meat or fish" so don't feel the need to label them.