Caribbean ports all look the same?

gordylad

As a European I am still contemplating doing another caribbean cruise. The previous ports visited were san juan, st kitts and st maarten. Sometimes I drift in and out of you tube looking at potential ports to visit st thomas, st johns, tortola.................Ar the end of the day they all look the same.....a scattering of coloured houses, beaches the odd jewellery shop at the port.

I go back and forth what will be new

Any help...or have I answered my own question?

I agree to a certain extent. There are some variables but it's like saying Germany, Austria, Brussels are all the same. Not quite but on the surface they kind of look the same from an outsider.

If you, like us, are just visiting on a cruise they will pretty much be the same. But, that's OK with us. We like the water, houses, beaches, shopping, sightseeing, etc.

We've been on many cruises, all Caribbean because we can easily drive to the port. Visits to other places are not cruises as we like to get to know the area we are visiting.

enjoy

Just a few examples!

St Lucia...has the Pitons

Aruba has a desert & beach landscape

San Juan has a historic city, nice forts

Dominica is quite unspoiled...beautiful falls..think pirates of the Caribbean

The western Caribbean ports are diff...some have Mayan ruins, beautiful jungles...

Martinique was very French....we enjoyed it.

The port areas may seem similar but if you venture out on excursions...they are not cookie cutter at all. You can check the port boards or other resources to find places of interest.

Edited by hcat

As a European I am still contemplating doing another caribbean cruise. The previous ports visited were san juan, st kitts and st maarten. Sometimes I drift in and out of you tube looking at potential ports to visit st thomas, st johns, tortola.................Ar the end of the day they all look the same.....a scattering of coloured houses, beaches the odd jewellery shop at the port.

Pretty broad brush stroke! Caribbean ports have lots of differences, especially away from the ports. We like St Thomas. I have never thought about what they look like and formed a broad opinion. I would try a variety of excursions and see the differences.

They do and they don't!

The Pitons in St Lucia are very different. Magen's Bay St Thomas - one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, the contrast between St Maarten and St Martin, the snorkeling at the barrier reef off of Mexico - the 2nd largest in the world, cave tubing in Belize - I could go on.

So while yes they are all tropical they do have their own special features

Each of the Caribbean islands have their own unique places to see and things to do. Just a matter of doing a bit of research and finding out what there is. If all you do is stay within a half mile of the ship in port, sure, they all look basically the same. But they're beautiful!!

We like something about each one. Just a matter of doing a wee bit of research and finding out what there is. We take a lot of Caribbean cruises because it's a short non-stop flight to port. On some we tend to do the same thing, and on others we do something different each time. If we lived in south Florida we might be taking a cruise every other month!

With well over 20 cruises to the Caribbean we have been to the same ports several times and have always found something new or different each time. We have also looked forward to seeing some of the same places and people that we have gotten to know over the years.

Always something new and always something to go back to.

bosco

Not only are the ports similar, the stores are similar. I joke that the reason it takes 1/2 hour after docking before they let you leave the ship is that they have to use that 1/2 hour to set up the stores. Diamonds International, Kirks, etc.

Although I jest, I did find out that in Alaska, almost all the stores at the ports are owned by the cruise companies...and off season, they ship their merchandise to the stores in the Caribbean.

We consider the Caribbean cruises 10-14 days away from home. We don't do excursions, we don't do beaches, we wander around and shop for bargains (which means we buy some liquor). For us, it really doesn't matter which ports the ship visits.

You answered you own question. Rome, Paris, Madrid, London, eh, nuttin much different there either is there.

We have been traveling the world for over forty years and agree with some (but not all) of the posts. Having been to the Caribbean dozens of times (to many islands on both land and sea) we now see the Caribbean as a place for sun, sand, and the water. We find the most of the land stuff a bit boring although it does have some interest the first time. But having driven the dessert side of Aruba a few times there is little new to be gained. But compare that to Paris (DW's favorite city) where we have been many times (including extended apartment stays). There are so many neighborhoods in Paris that it would take years to explore the city. The museums are fantastic and the exhibits are always undergoing changes. And the cuisine is divine...and with over 40,000 eating venues (just in the city) one can never experience everything. But spend 2 weeks on Aruba and you will have dined in all the good restaurants, possibly been to all the beaches, and could also have driven every road on the island.

But even though we have been to the Caribbean more times then we can remember....we still take a 14 day Caribbean Cruise every year (with 8-9 ports) where we usually go to some of our favorite beaches on each island. Our snorkeling always leads to new discoveries, and we still enjoy the beaches and swimming. But we do not find much else to attract us to the islands and wonder what folks do who dislike beaches...and have already visited an island multiple times. Even shopping on most islands has become less attractive as we can usually find the same goods online for less money.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

But spend 2 weeks on Aruba and you will have dined in all the good restaurants, possibly been to all the beaches, and could also have driven every road on the island.

Hank

Whew, that means it would take 14 cruises to experience the same if we did the same route year after year. Or 28 years if we go every other year, or 36 years if we go every third. Humm, ok.

Having travelled the Caribbean extensively for over 40 years, I have found each island and its people to have different characteristics which are certainly enjoyable. Now I choose the ship and each and every time never sail on the same one. The only exception has been the QM2. If I have said on every ship in a line then that's another story. So my advice primarily is pick the line and the ship. Smooth sailing !

56 Cruises and Counting! Bon Voyage to my fellow CC's and smooth sailing.

Planning a vacay is almost as much fun as the vacay itself!!!

They do and they don't!

The Pitons in St Lucia are very different. Magen's Bay St Thomas - one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, the contrast between St Maarten and St Martin, the snorkeling at the barrier reef off of Mexico - the 2nd largest in the world, cave tubing in Belize - I could go on.

So while yes they are all tropical they do have their own special features

Magen's Bay from Mountain Top view is spectacular!

As you mention and others too, many of the stores/shops right around where the ships dock are the same, but get past these and there are many unique trips/areas on each island.

Will have to check out cave tubing in Belize!

Some Caribbean Islands are built from coral and limestone, some are volcanic in nature and some are just mountaintops sticking out of the ocean.

The nature of the soil then affects what can be grown on each island, thus individualizing each isle's cuisine. This is also evident in the local fish stock.

Since most islands had been "colonized" by Europeans, most have retained a flavor of the dominant colonizer. Some are very British, others French, many are Spanish, and a few are Dutch. Intermixed throughout with African culture and to a lesser extent, native Amerind.

The casual cruiser who remains in cookie cutter port areas will never be exposed to these differences and will report that they can't tell one Caribbean port from another.

Those who venture out past the port will be somewhat exposed to these nuances, and those who return for land vacations might get immersed in them.

Edited by evandbob

Tis is an interesting topic. Caribbean islands are both the same & different, depending upon what one is interested in. Different islands certainly offer different topography, but one thing the vast majority of them have in coomon is world class beaches, even though the popularity of cruising is changing the beach experience on the most popular islands. It certainly is harder to find a quiet beach when multiple ships are in port. The brochures feature secluded baeaches when in reality, most popular beaches are nothing more that rows of lounge chairs & umbrellas spoiling the solitude of the beach.

If you do not do beaches, we have found that getting away from the port area offers a chance to experience some of the history of the islands & a fglimpse of the daily life that goes on in each island.

After many cruises to the Caribbean, you can find yourself becoming so familiar with some of the islands, that you tend to think, ho hum, but that is true of anywhere. We love, love Rome, but after some days there, it's like, oh, there's another old church! I guess the point is that anywhere loses its luster after nultiple visits.

To somewhat prove the point in simple terms, I would bet that nearly everyone that reads/replies on these boards and has been to a number of the islands has a favorite or two. This would mean there must be differences.

Remember, you can't have a favorite place until you've seen them all (and I'm trying really hard - but work keeps getting in the way).

Yes there are ones we appreciate more than others, we also pick one day each cruise to stay on board

I forgot to mention Barbados...beaches, beautiful fields, rock formations, beautiful homes, history, culture...something diff for multiple visits...

To somewhat prove the point in simple terms, I would bet that nearly everyone that reads/replies on these boards and has been to a number of the islands has a favorite or two. This would mean there must be differences.

Remember, you can't have a favorite place until you've seen them all (and I'm trying really hard - but work keeps getting in the way).

Work, oh the dastardly thing required to earn the funds to cruise! :D

Last yr was our 7th time to stop in St Thomas, the 1st was in 1992. Oh how it has changed in some spots but time has stood still in others.

The 6 of us chartered a sail boat, this was excellent! They took us to a beach we had never been to. NO ONE else was there! It was like our 1st time all over again.

SIMPLE.jpg.6043bbb587e26271324bccb4e71ee9d2.jpg

Comedian on Reflection had a funny line this January. Am I the only one who thinks that they change the flags and uniforms, then have the ship sail around the island overnight?

I agree with the majority of posters who find differences. All you have to do is travel a few blocks away from the homogenized ports/shopping.