Airfare advice (NE to FL)

ostrich710

Hi all: I am looking at an April cruise for the upcoming year (beginning Easter weekend, as I am a teacher and this is the only week we can vacation). Just to get an idea of total cost, I looked into flights this evening and found nothing much less than $500pp. We normally cruise out of Bayonne, and have not flown to cruise in about ten years, so I am experiencing a bit of sticker shock. For those of you with experience, is this the going rate, or should I wait it out for a better price? For what it's worth, our home airport is Hartford (BDL), but not terribly far from Boston. We are looking to cruise out of FLL.

Thanks so much for any input!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi all: I am looking at an April cruise for the upcoming year (beginning Easter weekend, as I am a teacher and this is the only week we can vacation). Just to get an idea of total cost, I looked into flights this evening and found nothing much less than $500pp. We normally cruise out of Bayonne, and have not flown to cruise in about ten years, so I am experiencing a bit of sticker shock. For those of you with experience, is this the going rate, or should I wait it out for a better price? For what it's worth, our home airport is Hartford (BDL), but not terribly far from Boston. We are looking to cruise out of FLL.

I just priced airfare earlier today BOS to FLL for our May cruise. Best nonstop I found was Jetblue just over $900 for two, roundtrip. I have flights booked for November, BOS to MCO, around $850 for two, roundtrip.

We got a good fare this past May to FLL, around $600 for two, but haven't seen it that low recently.

Did you try Worcester? Jetblue flies out of there to FLL.

Unfortunately - that's generally the going rate for weekends on school vacation weeks...

We are flying this week also but to Houston (going on Liberty instead to avoid Florida travel Rush!). I'm assuming you have Friday off - and maybe can leave as early as Thursday night?

We had to go Wednesday Night to the Monday after vacation to get prices in the $300 range...we are flying southwest down to Houston and Jet Blue back. We saved a lot and got better flight times by splitting up the flights.

One thing I can suggest is to consider the New York airports. Their vacation is different - it ENDS just after Easter...

Good luck!

You should also check Southwest out of Providence. JetBlue is in Providence too but I am not sure if they go into FLL from Providence. Check their schedule. Normally, Providence is cheaper than Boston. The flights prices might come down a bit, but prices are always higher on school vacation. My daughter is a teacher and has the same problem. If you book on Southwest now and prices do drop, they allow you to re-book at lower price with no penalty. This is a great perk if you get lucky enough to get a lower price with them in the future.

When looking at prices I have been told to check on Tuesday or Wednesday. We will be flying to Boston from Palm Springs, Ca next August and RT are paying $1200 for my husband & I connecting in DFW. In going to FLL we see around the same price for R/T tickets.

Richard, we have friends in Cumberland and our family & sister & I are from Providence.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

We also lived in Mass when our kids were young and cruised many April vacation weeks. The only way we were able to get reasonably priced flights was to book as soon as the airfare came out, 331 days prior for most of the airlines. JetBlue doesn't book out quite that far, but if you sign up for their alerts they will email you when they open up flights for future dates. The airlines know when school vacations are and they take advantage of that unfortunately. Their prices also fluctuate not just daily, but hourly. You have to be vigilant and check your dates almost daily.

Edited by RosieRoo

Awesome advice and lots to think about -- thanks, everyone! I was nervous about booking at this price too early, since I know most airlines won't honor a price drop. Didn't realize that southwest allows rebooking at a lower price, so that's a comforting perk. Worcester and NY sound like good options, too. I think I'll wait it out just a bit, and then bite the bullet; it sounds like going rate for the time of year. Happy cruising!

Many travel sites give you the ability to check prices for nearby airports. We saved almost $600 by flying into Melbourne airport instead of MCO for our upcoming Oasis sailing out of Port Canaveral. Melbourne is actually slightly closer to port than Orlando. A no-brainer for us.

Didn't realize that southwest allows rebooking at a lower price, so that's a comforting perk.

If I'm not mistaken, I think though you can get a price reduction on Southwest, you don't get the difference refunded. You just get a credit with them that you have to use within 1 year of your original purchase date. So unless you might fly again on Southwest later in the year, the price reduction doesn't help much.

We once planned to use such a credit for a cheap flight to Baltimore to spend the weekend, but the weather was iffy so we didn't end up going.

My Daughter and her family live in Boston and we fly from JAX, FLA to Boston on Delta at least once a year.

Cost is usually about $350 for one. I have the Delta Skymiles AMEX card that gives me a companion certificate once a year for anywhere in the Continental US for $99. Therefore, our cost for two runs less than $500.

And you are looking at the Southwest flights out of Bradley? What dates are you looking at?

That seems high....

We are 20 minutes from Bradley and we ONLY fly Southwest........

I would keep checking.....My guess is that they will go down........

Was flying out of Logan more?

Edited by KPfromCT

Logan was about the same, if not more. We are very close to Bradley, so it is our preference, but I haven't found less than $475pp, which seemed high to me, too. The dates I'm looking at are 4/15-4/23. The start date is flexible and we could leave a day earlier, but it has not seemed to make much difference. I've heard that the best time to book a flight is 7-8 weeks out, but waiting so long makes me nervous and I'm worried that prices will only climb, as it is April vacation week.

I should also add that on advice from another, I checked prices out of nyc. For anyone in a similar boat, they were easily $100pp less (I saw some as much as $200 less, but the times didn't work for our itinerary). I have to wonder how much I'd hate myself for adding a 2.5 hour drive home on a work night, though...

I should also add that on advice from another, I checked prices out of nyc. For anyone in a similar boat, they were easily $100pp less (I saw some as much as $200 less, but the times didn't work for our itinerary). I have to wonder how much I'd hate myself for adding a 2.5 hour drive home on a work night, though...

Consider the cost of parking too, Bradley is likely be cheaper to park than any of the NYC airports.

At least from Newark the airfares to FLL or Miami are double as compared to last year. Also, you are traveling on a holiday week with lots of kids traveling. I have a family cruise booked for Easter '18 and looking at the '17 prices as a guide as to determine when is the best time to book a flight.

Got a cruise booked on the Navigator for Feb. '17 and the best I could get was United for $784 for 2 from Newark-Miami.

Have you tried Southwest? They still have a policy of free bags which is a plus when determining overall pricing.

Have you tried Southwest? They still have a policy of free bags which is a plus when determining overall pricing.

Ah, I hadn't even thought of checked bag fees! That's how long it's been since we've flown. I'm starting to think the answer here is to book a flight and not look back. It won't matter how much I spent on airfare when I'm sitting by the pool with a Miami Vice in hand!

Thanks again for all the replies; you guys are the best!

When looking at prices I have been told to check on Tuesday or Wednesday. .

That's a myth that frequently circulates. If there was a given day or time that prices always dropped, everyone would wait to buy on that day and it would take the airlines about 2 seconds to realize that demand shoots up every, say, Tuesday at 9pm or whatever, and they would adjust prices upward in response. Supply and demand and all that.

Now, what often IS true is that FLYING on a Tuesday or Wednesday is often cheaper than flying on a Sun/Mon or a Thur/Fri because Tue and Wed are not the biggest days for business travel so tickets for travel on those days are often priced lower. Doesn't generally matter what day of the week you PURCHASE though.Prices fluctuate constantly and you just have to keep checking.

I actually started looking as soon as SW and JetBlue opened up their fares for that week in early August, and SW wasn't showing their wanna get away fares from BOS, BDL, PVD so we ended u[ booking through MHT at a somewhat reasonable rate, but still higher than in past years due to the Easter weekend at the beginning of the week (about $420 pp).

They've only gone up since then- kayak lists then as "watch" now, but I would say if you find times, routes and a price you are good with, book it.

April 3 2017 is Michigan schools spring break. Taking grandkids on cruise. From Detroit to Tampa paid $411 per ticket. That was price in May. Just checked price is now $1029 per ticket. Sunday to Saturday. Even though I thought price was high am glad I bought them when I did.

I just wanted to add that we observed the same thing as the PP with no Southwest Wanna Get Away fares for the New England airports on good Friday or Easter Saturday or the returning weekend following when they opened up flights and I have not seen it change.

In Feb 2015, our vacation plans changed - we were supposed to be heading to Hawaii but in December (2 months prior) - we had to change our plans and cruise instead. I looked into flights and there simply were not any available for a family of 4 to get anywhere in florida from Boston/Manchester/Worcester airports!! Not first or coach! To get a coach seat - we would have to leave the Wednesday prior - and each ticket would be $1035!!!! It was crazy - this is when we discovered Galveston and enjoyed the navigator $250 flights!

Our cruise last year had us flying to MIA on St. Patrick's Day with a return the day after Easter. I started looking at flights in the fall, much earlier than I usually do, because of the holiday. Prices were high then ($500pp RT from PHL). More than I wanted to pay, but at least it helped establish a benchmark. I also knew that I did not want to delay too long to ensure I got the flight times I wanted.

I checked prices every day for Southwest (which actually had terrible schedules...almost everything had a stop with a plane change) but also checked AA and Delta. Every...day.

That strategy worked for me because one morning RT fares on AA popped up for just $268pp and included one checked bag each. Bought them and never looked back.

Similar situation for my cruise next March. Just kept checking and got AA fares for $270pp with one checked bag each (I don't think they offer that perk anymore).