Cruisin' newbies!

howdyyankee

Howdy everyone! :)

After several years of wanting to go on a cruise, my husband and I were finally able to afford a trip aboard the Carnival Breeze from June 11 to 18, 2017. We are beyond excited to cruise for our very first time! We found a great deal on a cove balcony and decided to splurge. I may just sit out on the balcony and watch the water the entire time!

We do have a few questions, so if you can offer any help, we would sure appreciate it. Thank you in advance!

1. We don't drink alcohol (we may try one for fun, you never know!), but I read that Carnival cruisers can bring one 12-pack of soda on board per passenger. Is this still true? My husband drinks soda and I figured that it would be cheaper to bring some ourselves.

2. Bingo! Is it free to play, or at least decently affordable to play? What sort of prizes/prize amounts are offered? I am a huge bingo fan and definitely plan on playing a few times while on board!

3. I read that trivia is offered as well! My husband and I play a lot of pub/bar trivia with friends, but I imagine that the trivia on board might be more family friendly. Is it for prizes or just fun? Either way, we'll probably give it a try.

4. Excursions! We'll be hitting up Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan. Out of these three, which one is the most worthwhile for excursions and which one is great for just relaxing for a few hours? Our budget is limited to just doing one or two of the cheaper excursions. The cave tubing sounds fun!

5. Along the same lines...can we get our passports stamped when we get off of at the ports? Or is this not done because it's company property? I've read that Carnival is moving away from this.

6. Last question, promise! The dive-in movies...how recent are they typically? We love going to the movies! We're just curious if they're more of the popular titles or older movies. We'll probably go regardless, we're movie buffs!

Sorry for so many questions! If you can help us out, we would love you forever! Also, if you'll be traveling at the same time, send us a message! We'd love to meet up with any friendly and fun fellow cruisers! :)

1. Yes, it's one 12 pack per person. Do not put it in your checked luggage. Must be carried on.

2. Definitely not free, and in my opinion, too expensive for what you get. There are various different prize amounts offered on different days.

3. It's mainly for fun, and the trivia I have played onboard was geared towards adults. Prizes are medallions, ships on a stick, and champagne.

4. It depends what you are into, but I highly recommend a ruins excursion on mainland Mexico via Cozumel. It's worth the splurge. We did the Mystic Coba one and it was so awesome to be able to climb on top of a Mayan ruin in the middle of the jungle. Definitely an experience to remember. Roatan is the perfect place for a lazy (and free) beach day. The beach is right there at port.

5. No help here, we don't bother with this.

6. They are typically recent movies. You'd be surprised how recent. You can find a list of the movies being shown on John Heald's social media page. He posts for the upcoming month the last week of the precious month. I love Dive-in movies. My favorite thing to do at night!

Anyway, welcome to cruising! Prepare to become addicted.

Oh, and you'll love your cove balcony. We had one on our first cruise (on the Dream), and now I'll never be able to book another type of balcony on ships that have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by bakersdozen12

Howdy everyone! :)

After several years of wanting to go on a cruise, my husband and I were finally able to afford a trip aboard the Carnival Breeze from June 11 to 18, 2017. We are beyond excited to cruise for our very first time! We found a great deal on a cove balcony and decided to splurge. I may just sit out on the balcony and watch the water the entire time!

Congratulations

We do have a few questions, so if you can offer any help, we would sure appreciate it. Thank you in advance!

1. We don't drink alcohol (we may try one for fun, you never know!), but I read that Carnival cruisers can bring one 12-pack of soda on board per passenger. Is this still true? My husband drinks soda and I figured that it would be cheaper to bring some ourselves.

Cans only though

2. Bingo! Is it free to play, or at least decently affordable to play? What sort of prizes/prize amounts are offered? I am a huge bingo fan and definitely plan on playing a few times while on board!

not free, in my opinion not even good value, but the prizes can get big

3. I read that trivia is offered as well! My husband and I play a lot of pub/bar trivia with friends, but I imagine that the trivia on board might be more family friendly. Is it for prizes or just fun? Either way, we'll probably give it a try.

Normally free, prizes like lanyard, or coffee mug, or that sort of thing, it's about the fun, pretty similar to your pub trivia

4. Excursions! We'll be hitting up Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan. Out of these three, which one is the most worthwhile for excursions and which one is great for just relaxing for a few hours? Our budget is limited to just doing one or two of the cheaper excursions. The cave tubing sounds fun!

cant add much there, but join your roll call here on CC you might find some better deals

5. Along the same lines...can we get our passports stamped when we get off of at the ports? Or is this not done because it's company property? I've read that Carnival is moving away from this.

never asked sorry

6. Last question, promise! The dive-in movies...how recent are they typically? We love going to the movies! We're just curious if they're more of the popular titles or older movies. We'll probably go regardless, we're movie buffs!

pretty recent.

Sorry for so many questions! If you can help us out, we would love you forever! Also, if you'll be traveling at the same time, send us a message! We'd love to meet up with any friendly and fun fellow cruisers! :)

See the red.

The only thing I can comment on is the passport. When you board the ship they keep your passport at the front office. They need it for when customs & immigration from the different countries come on board, they check passports & stamp them. Have a wonderful cruise.

Allan

We did this cruise itinerary on the Carnival Magic...lots of fun. Not sure if they changed things since last December but we were in possession of our passports the entire trip we never relinquished them at any point.

Otherwise I only have the same info as previous posters....trivia is fun played for small prizes, bingo priced too high for me unless I have extra OBC I need to spend, movies were quite recent. Have a great time!:)

The only thing I can comment on is the passport. When you board the ship they keep your passport at the front office. They need it for when customs & immigration from the different countries come on board, they check passports & stamp them. Have a wonderful cruise.

Allan

Is this a Carnival Cruise Line new thing? We have never had our passports kept and stamped with any cruiseline we've been on. Not saying it can't happen, we've just never had it happen.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Forums mobile app

Perhaps Canadian passports are collected, but never US passports. We always take them with us. On a cruise ship in the Caribbean, I believe you are considered a transit passenger and therefore noone stamps passports. EM

I've never had my passport taken on a Caribbean cruise, nor has it been stamped. Different when traveling in Europe or other foreign ports such as South America. Enjoy your first cruise.

Roz

Allan

The OP is from US and is not going to any countries where ship collects US passports so theirs won't be collected.

howdy everyone! :)

after several years of wanting to go on a cruise, my husband and i were finally able to afford a trip aboard the carnival breeze from june 11 to 18, 2017. We are beyond excited to cruise for our very first time! We found a great deal on a cove balcony and decided to splurge. I may just sit out on the balcony and watch the water the entire time!

1. We don't drink alcohol (we may try one for fun, you never know!), but i read that carnival cruisers can bring one 12-pack of soda on board per passenger. Is this still true? My husband drinks soda and i figured that it would be cheaper to bring some ourselves.

soda on board costs maybe $3 per can. That means that you will save $36 minus the purchase cost of the 12 pack. Unless you only drink something that is not available on board, hardly worth the trouble.

not free.

3. I read that trivia is offered as well! My husband and i play a lot of pub/bar trivia with friends, but i imagine that the trivia on board might be more family friendly. Is it for prizes or just fun? Either way, we'll probably give it a try.

trivia on board is absolutely cut throat. You will even find people who keep notes of the games from previous cruises.

4. Excursions! We'll be hitting up cozumel, belize, and roatan. Out of these three, which one is the most worthwhile for excursions and which one is great for just relaxing for a few hours? Our budget is limited to just doing one or two of the cheaper excursions. The cave tubing sounds fun!

5. Along the same lines...can we get our passports stamped when we get off of at the ports? Or is this not done because it's company property? I've read that carnival is moving away from this.

sort of a pain to get your passport stamped. Why?

"dive-in movies???

sorry for so many questions! If you can help us out, we would love you forever! Also, if you'll be traveling at the same time, send us a message! We'd love to meet up with any friendly and fun fellow cruisers! :)

don

I would answer as far as excursions:

Cozumel is a really easy beach day. Take a taxi from the pier to any number of beach clubs: Paradise Beach, Mr. Sancho's, Playa Corona, Playa Mia, Playa Palancar. Small or no entrance fees.

Belize. Here is where i would do an excursion. Carnival offers a couple of excursions to Mayan ruins - well worth it. We saw Altun Ha when we were there, incredible!

Roatan. You can do simple beach day at the Carnival beach at the port, or there are several excursions. I loved getting out and seeing the island with Victor Bodden tours.

Good luck with all your plans and prepare to become hooked!

We just got back from a cruise that included Roatan. We did the Jolly Rogers Catamaran swim and snorkel and it was FABULOUS. It includes a fabulous lunch and they have a crew member assigned to beginner and advanced snorkelers. Includes soft drinks and rum too. It's a small enough group that you feel it's more personal service. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Most of your time to see the ruins is spent on the bus. We skipped that tour because of the LONG bus ride there and back. We did the Cozumel Amazing Race..if you are looking for something different. We had a blast. It's sort of a savenger hunt through the streets of Cozumel, going from one clue to the next with check-in points and the locals cheering you on. LOVED IT!

The only thing I can comment on is the passport. When you board the ship they keep your passport at the front office. They need it for when customs & immigration from the different countries come on board, they check passports & stamp them.

That has never been my experience. You show your passport when you check in to board the ship the first time and when you get off the ship at the end, that's it. Some ports require Photo ID in addition to your ship card but that doesn't have to be your passport. And I'm Canadian so it's not a Canadian thing.

I've never heard of Carnival taking or storing passports, I'd be concerned if they tried to do that. Thousands of passports? That'd be a logistical nightmare. Also why would they stamp all thousands of passports at each port if many people don't even get off the ship? It just doesn't make any sense to me. Was this perhaps on a river cruise?