Election coverage

RAC630

I would doubt very much they would be showing results in a bar.

Why not??? Given this election season - the scandals, attacks, and negativity of the parties - that's the one place we'll NEED to be to watch the results coming in. :cool:

Having cruised during previous Presidential elections when Fox was still offering its version of "fair and balanced" news, I can only be grateful that we won't be subjected to its biases this year, though now that Roger Ailes is no longer in charge, their news coverage may have improved.:)

Edited by negc

Why not??? Given this election season - the scandals, attacks, and negativity of the parties - that's the one place we'll NEED to be to watch the results coming in. :cool:

I do not NEED to be in a bar, but if you do, have at it. When I spend thousands of dollars to go on a cruise, sitting watching the results trickle in is the last thing I want to do. I would hope that the cruise line decides to show the results in one, controlled environment instead of all over the ship, if they decide to air the results at all.

In Australia voting is compulsory and therefore if we are going to be away when an election is on, we have to vote before we go (up to 4 weeks). I realise that voting isn't compulsory in the USA, but if you do, can you pre-vote if you are going to be away and do they count those votes on the night?

You can file an absentee ballot if you are out of the county on election day. I voted on October 10th. Yes, they count the absentee ballots just like normal votes.

Edited by Johnamac123

I do not NEED to be in a bar, but if you do, have at it. When I spend thousands of dollars to go on a cruise, sitting watching the results trickle in is the last thing I want to do. I would hope that the cruise line decides to show the results in one, controlled environment instead of all over the ship, if they decide to air the results at all.

It was a joke - lighten up. LOL :D

Isn't the cruise a chance to get AWAY from the election?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

Exactly! I was telling DH we should plan a cruise during the election to get away from it. If I thought it was going to be broadly broadcasted across the bars in the ship... I would not want to go. Bad enough that they have CNN on the ship... but at least I can turn to another program :(

Exactly! I was telling DH we should plan a cruise during the election to get away from it. If I thought it was going to be broadly broadcasted across the bars in the ship... I would not want to go. Bad enough that they have CNN on the ship... but at least I can turn to another program :(

Thankfully it isn't FOX anymore.:D

I'm looking forward to hearing zero election coverage while on Oasis that week. If Trump wins maybe there will be big enough riots that we'll get an extra day or two of sailing :-)

That was part of our bonus of cruising that week is I am hoping to miss all of the coverage. I will vote before we leave but, hoping not to see that much coverage

I wholeheartedly agree. This is an enormously important election for our country.

I wholeheartedly agree. This is an enormously important election for our country.

I disagree. The President, while an important role, has MUCH less to do with policy and the direction of the country. You want to really see change, stop voting the same people into Congress for 20+ years in a row. In either case, I predict this President is a single-term President.

Having cruised during previous Presidential elections when Fox was still offering its version of "fair and balanced" news, I can only be grateful that we won't be subjected to its biases this year, though now that Roger Ailes is no longer in charge, their news coverage may have improved.:)

I find your commentary interesting. While on the Adventure a few weeks ago, all we had was CNN. We noticed that the ONLY coverage on the election was everything Trump. All negative. Nothing positive on Hillary. In fact, Hillary was never even mentioned. It was all negative news on Trump. I fond nothing balanced, much less fair.

Just curious, how do they make you vote?

looked it up $20 fine (around $15 US)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Good point! I think most Australians feel that as a true democracy it is their obligation and right to do so, and therefore have a say in the process - you get what you vote for, and therefore can't complain if you didn't vote . It works for us and I would say that approx. 99% of eligible Australians vote. Our process is not as drawn out as yours (thank goodness) - from the announcement that an election is on until voting is over is usually around 2 -3 months and is also based on the Westminster system. Not so disruptive!

Re the fines, I don't know of anyone personally who has been fined, but there again, they would be in the minority. We are only a population of 24 Million.