Election coverage

RAC630

..........If Trump wins maybe there will be big enough riots that we'll get an extra day or two of sailing :-)

There may be riots if Clinton wins too.

This is exactly why I wouldn't want to see the election in a public place. There will be happy and very unhappy people regardless of who wins. I would not want to have to listen to the the bitching and moaning of the unhappy ones even if I was also one of them.

Some people get so heated about who would be a better president, I wouldn't be surprised if big arguments broke out.

For me a cruise is about getting away from it all. Watching it on a cruise is not going to change the outcome. Just tell me who wins and then I will go back to enjoying the cruise.

Edited by ReneeFLL

This is exactly why I wouldn't want to see the election in a public place. There will be happy and very unhappy people regardless of who wins. I would not want to have to listen to the the bitching and moaning of the unhappy ones even if I was also one of them.

Some people get so heated about who would be a better president, I wouldn't be surprised if big arguments broke out.

For me a cruise is about getting away from it all. Watching it on a cruise is not going to change the outcome. Just tell me who wins and then I will go back to enjoying the cruise.

Amen!

I disagree. The President, while an important role, has MUCH less to do with policy and the direction of the country. You want to really see change, stop voting the same people into Congress for 20+ years in a row. In either case, I predict this President is a single-term President.

I could not agree more. Sadly only the voters from their state can vote them out, and some of them become such "icons" that they keep getting voted in. They only way they leave is through the Rotunda door in a box .

I could not agree more. Sadly only the voters from their state can vote them out, and some of them become such "icons" that they keep getting voted in. They only way they leave is through the Rotunda door in a box .

The issue is everyone wants to vote the bums out.....except their bum, he/she is great. Thus the cycle continues.

I disagree. The President, while an important role, has MUCH less to do with policy and the direction of the country.

I agree. The president is more a figurehead - a representative of the country. And given the 2 (main) choices we have, that is truly an embarrassment. Of the more than 350 million+ people we have in this country, these were the "best" we could come up with? :(

In Australia voting is compulsory and therefore if we are going to be away when an election is on, we have to vote before we go (up to 4 weeks). I realise that voting isn't compulsory in the USA, but if you do, can you pre-vote if you are going to be away and do they count those votes on the night?

Somehow, forcing people to vote seems, to me at least,contrary to the spirit of democracy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree. The president is more a figurehead - a representative of the country. And given the 2 (main) choices we have, that is truly an embarrassment. Of the more than 350 million+ people we have in this country, these were the "best" we could come up with? :(

Please stop reminding me *LOL*

We are so happy to be cruising on election day! We've already voted and don't want to hear anything more about it. It's done.

Plan to have a news black out on election day and just relax at the pool or on the balcony with a good non political book.

I'm sure we will learn the results the next day but will thankfully be spared all the hand wringing of election night.

We will be in the Allure on Election Day and would like to follow live results. Does anyone have thoughts on where I may be able to catch the broadcasts?

Thanks 😊

We're on a different cruise line on election day but I just googled Banning election coverage on cruise ships. I just heard Carnival is banning all news coverage on election day. :mad: I'm still trying to confirm this... But so far I've been told if you want to know any updates you can go to your room. Frankly I think it's awful. I don't want the coverage on the LIDO deck but I would love to be able to pop into a bar and check results. It's normal for a bar to have news channels on. Why does Carnival feel they need to go out of their way to stop people from getting updates if they want to. :mad::mad:

We're on a different cruise line on election day but I just googled Banning election coverage on cruise ships. I just heard Carnival is banning all news coverage on election day. :mad: I'm still trying to confirm this... But so far I've been told if you want to know any updates you can go to your room. Frankly I think it's awful. I don't want the coverage on the LIDO deck but I would love to be able to pop into a bar and check results. It's normal for a bar to have news channels on. Why does Carnival feel they need to go out of their way to stop people from getting updates if they want to. :mad::mad:

Do you want kids see grown ups behaving like, allegedly, hooligans on a family cruise ship?

Perhaps they figured that more cruisers would want to watch the L.A. Kings, Toronto Maple Leafs hockey game that night.

Austin Matthews vs Jonathan Quick - now that's a contest:):)

I imagine the kids won't be in the bar... It's history and to censor something as historic as an election is pretty anti-american.

Just watch in your cabin. Might want to complain on Carnival forum if it is that important to you, Royal Caribbean is not going to be of any help at getting it shown on a Carnival ship.

Just watch in your cabin. Might want to complain on Carnival forum if it is that important to you, Royal Caribbean is not going to be of any help at getting it shown on a Carnival ship.

It's the only board/website/place I could find talking about election day and results... So I thought I would join the OP and the conversation.

We were on Carnival in 2008 and when it was clear who was winning, there was a group in the sports bar making lots of noise, including yelling "hallelujah" and "Thanks you Jesus" etc and saying other things making it very clear that no one was to say anything against their candidate. It wasn't very comfortable and we felt we had to very careful about where and when we discussed it. My guess is this is probably why it won't be shown in public spaces. Some people don't handle it well and they're probably trying to avoid confrontations and fights when people have been drinking. You can still get updates just not in public spaces. Honestly, 2008 and 2012, we were on cruises and other than going to our cabin between dinner and our evening activities to check real quick, we waited til we went back for the night to watch what results we could. We were interested in our local elections and had to wait til we got home for those. If someone is that big of a political junky, then maybe not schedule a cruise over the election. We're voting next week before we leave on Halloween on our 12 night Grandeur cruise.

Edited by BND

We were on Carnival in 2008 and when it was clear who was winning, there was a group in the sports bar making lots of noise, including yelling "hallelujah" and "Thanks you Jesus" etc and saying other things making it very clear that no one was to say anything against their candidate. It wasn't very comfortable and we felt we had to very careful about where and when we discussed it. My guess is this is probably why it won't be shown in public spaces. Some people don't handle it well and they're probably trying to avoid confrontations and fights when people have been drinking. You can still get updates just not in public spaces. Honestly, 2008 and 2012, we were on cruises and other than going to our cabin between dinner and our evening activities to check real quick, we waited til we went back for the night to watch what results we could. We were interested in our local elections and had to wait til we got home for those. If someone is that big of a political junky, then maybe not schedule a cruise over the election. We're voting next week before we leave on Halloween on our 12 night Grandeur cruise.

National news posts the local results as well. And I wouldn't call us political junkies wanting to know the results of the presidential election. This happened to be the only two weekends we didn't have commitments. It also never ever crossed my mind that someplace would not allow a TV in a bar to be on news channel during a presidential election. But I guess that's the nature of some people... just ridiculous