New, new Oasis menus. October 2016 changes.

amen!

Disclaimer: I am neither a RCI cheerleader nor naysayer as I will be going on my first Royal cruise this Thanksgiving--don't know if we'll have these new menus or not.. While I understand the disappointment-- I was anticipating trying a few dishes I've read so much about, too... going to the specialty restaurants is NOT the answer as this is a marketing ploy by the cruise industry in general to get you to do just that to augment their bottom line. For a lot of us, the all-inclusive aspect of a cruise is a huge selling point -- so I will find SOMETHING I like -- if my meal consists of 3 starters and no entrees or 2 entrees and no starters, I will eat no less in the MDR than I was originally planning to. And if my MDR experience is horrible, I won't be booking another Royal cruise nor encouraging others to do so. Vote with your feet! Actually -- a lot of the favorites I read about are still there-- unfortunately many on the same night, but I'm looking forward to a cruise with good food. I'm willing to try the new menus before passing judgment...And food is a big part but still a part of the whole experience.

No trays in WJ, I was being sarcastic. :eek:

I have seen folks use the tray from room service. also the plate covers. ;)

I have seen them taken away a few times, by the Greeter wanting you to sanitize your hands.

No trays in WJ, I was being sarcastic. :eek:

I have seen folks use the tray from room service. also the plate covers. ;)

A little poetic license on my part. But it would be a good idea !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If there is something they make that you prefer you may be able to make a special request if you properly smooze the wait staff. For example I mentioned to ours on our last cruise that the Key Lime pie was my favorite and it's too bad that I had to wait for day 7 to have some. Next night, the pasty chef made me a whole one! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No!!!!!!!

With the last set of "new" menus, I had 2 or 3 things I wanted to order every night. They must all be gone, because now it's looking like some version of steak/beef every night.

VERY disappointing.

There were (on the last set of menus) a few nights of sea bass or mahi mahi. All gone. What the hell is WAHOO?

A delicious white fish close to taste of mahi mahi. I actually prefer the Wahoo

So what's your 4th course?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

The fourth course is dessert (on a separate menu).

Back when we started cruising they had separate sections on the menu for appetizers, salads, and entrees. Each section had about five options to choose from. After the entree was served you were given a dessert menu. Hence, four courses. On our first cruise I can remember our head waiter encouraging us to order dinner as a four course meal which we really enjoyed.

I've noticed that they've been slowly trending away from that - more toward a three course offering as currently presented 1) appetizer or salad, 2) entree and 3) desert.

We just really enjoy starting the meal each night with a small appetizer like shrimp cocktail. It's not filling and it's a nice treat.

Oh well, we'll probably continue to order as we like anyway. Old habits die hard. :)

Back when we started cruising they had separate sections on the menu for appetizers, salads, and entrees. Each section had about five options to choose from. After the entree was served you were given a dessert menu. Hence, four courses. On our first cruise I can remember our head waiter encouraging us to order dinner as a four course meal which we really enjoyed.

I've noticed that they've been slowly trending away from that - more toward a three course offering as currently presented 1) appetizer or salad, 2) entree and 3) desert.

We just really enjoy starting the meal each night with a small appetizer like shrimp cocktail. It's not filling and it's a nice treat.

Oh well, we'll probably continue to order as we like anyway. Old habits die hard. :)

I guess I should have said 2nd course. Semantics as far as I can see. I don't see your point

Hmm, it's money saving company RCCL, so I am not wondering about the new menus...

I guess they are fleetwide, even for Anthem where Dynamic Dining has been dropped...

IMHO the new menus are okay, but not as inspiring as those of NCL, HAL or Princess.

Another proof of RCCL's notorous nickle and diming, saving costs for the included food, and pushing up the revenue-bringing speciality restaurants.

No, thank you RCCL, another motivation to book others. Not to mention that the Windjammer breakfast was horrible, and service just so-so... :rolleyes:

I love WJ breakfast. Fresh fruit, custom omelette, Apple pastries.

I go early, no crowds

We also go early. Only time it is crowded is an early port day or especially disembarkation

day, which is the one day we have to go without a decent cup of coffee. :(

I love the poached eggs, and most of the time I can find grits! :p

(not nearly as good as the grits I make...but they will do!! ;)

Edited by island lady

Disclaimer: I am neither a RCI cheerleader nor naysayer as I will be going on my first Royal cruise this Thanksgiving

You have mistakenly assumed that you get to choose this designation. The moniker will be assigned to you by the posters who chose to ignore anything you say by using a dismissive description of you.

I've been called both a Royal Cheerleader and Royal Hater... IN THE EXACT SAME THREAD! Depends on who wishes to dismiss what I have written because they disagree.

LOL -- I can see what you're saying about being labeled...I was thinking more of the people so blinded by their bias. The cheerleaders won't admit anything is less than ideal; the naysayers refuse to see anything positive, and I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I have ordered a 4 course on just about every meal I've had on my last cruises. Just pick 2 "apps" - no biggie. Heck, I even pick 2 entrees...

Currently on Oasis and for the first 3 days the "new, new" menus are exactly what we've had. We have had no problems ordering 2 appetizers each day and today DH and I each ordered 2 entrees as well. Biggest complaint so far has been consistency in steak "doneness". I'm pretty flexible - order medium and will eat almost anything but have had both well done (which I ate without saying anything) and today what I could only consider rare (ate around the outsides and left the middle). Others at our table have commented on the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by marciemi

Just off the October 9 sailing of Freedom of the Seas. I can tell you there was no Beef Tenderloin, no prime rib and no Beef Chateaubriand. It was not a wide range of choices. And most of the food was way over cooked. So we just sent several items back and ordered different ones. I still gained weight. lol

If you like well done and dry you will love the new menus just off the Serenade