Please help me understand the Celebrity one-category upgrade

Doc2725

I have been reading about that when you book on Celebrity, you can ask for/receive a one category upgrade, free of charge. It is not a promotion that is run at certain times, but is always available. Is this true? And if so, can you tell me more about how it works? I have searched around on here, but have not found the response I am looking for. Thank you.

If you are Captain's Club, you can get a one cat upgrade. However, that is useless now with the perk system since it can't be combined with other offers. That's why we really don't talk about it these days. It will be applicable on cruises where there are no offers, like transatlantics. Note that the upgrade is within category only (ie: 2D to 2C, not Concierge to Aqua). I've probably forgotten something, but that's the main concept.

From Captains Club:

"One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for upgrades within the supercategory, depending on availability. Example of a supercategory upgrade in AquaClass: A2 to A1. Captain's Club one category upgrade excludes category 12, FV, SV, C1 and guarantee categories, Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W. This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares including but not limited to travel agent and employee rates. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Not valid on holiday sailings. Upgrades available from categories 11- A1 on all Celebrity ships except Celebrity Xpedition®. Offer valid for members who are Classic Level or higher at the time of booking."

It is combinable with almost all offers, if you book with a TA they should be familiar with the program.

You only get upgrade within category, so 1B to 1A or 2B to 2A etc. You can't upgrade from B to A or Concierge to Aqua, etc.

If you are Captain's Club, you can get a one cat upgrade. However, that is useless now with the perk system since it can't be combined with other offers. That's why we really don't talk about it these days. It will be applicable on cruises where there are no offers, like transatlantics. Note that the upgrade is within category only (ie: 2D to 2C, not Concierge to Aqua). I've probably forgotten something, but that's the main concept.

We have two Equinox cruises booked with "best" and we received the upgrade with both.

Not a blanket statement that it will always be denied if you get other perks. Depends on the terms of the perk.

It's a Captains Club benefit, so go to Captains Club for more details.

We just got it, booking cat 7 at cat 8 price on a Soltice cruise that did include a perk, (Go Big OBC)

Doc2725, if you have sailed with Celebrity at least once and have a Captain's Club number you can ask for the one category upgrade. Perks and specials come and go, but I've never been denied the benefit except the one time when the category I was booking happened to be priced the same as the category below. I never book online, I always call and talk to a travel agent and always ask for the discount. I know, I know, it's described as an upgrade, but I think of it as a discount. I choose the cabin I want and when billed I'm only charged the price of the cabin category just below what I've chosen. There are exceptions, so if you have questions about a particular category or scenario, just ask.

And yes, you'll be able to use your current RC loyalty level to gain Captain's Club status (up to Elite).

Edited by thebutlerdidit

Hmm, okay cool, thank you. I am in the RCI Latitudes program. Can I transfer my member level?

If that is Crown and Anchor, you can transfer your level only. Call either Royal or Celebrity and get a Captains Club number. Ultimately, make sure that number is associated with any booking you make.

As far as the one category upgrade, I have combined it with other offers.. The upgrade is only within a category and should only save you a few dollars. If an inside, outside or veranda cabin it usually means saving a minimal amount of money and moving upstairs one floor. Not a big deal. The upgrade can be worth a bit more if in a Concierge or Aqua cabin but that can depend on pricing at the time you book. Remember this must be made at the time of booking.

Edited by dkjretired

I'm not sure, but I don't think you can pay for C2 and have an upgrade to C1...does anyone know?

That's how it works.

Take advantage of it every time I book.

Oceangoer2, you are correct C1 is excluded from the upgrade as are suites and a few other categories that were listed by oneputt18. Holiday sailings are also excluded.

When I booked the Equinox cruise for next year, I was able to book an A1 cabin for the A2 price, which saved me $650 and we are getting the Best Pkg as well.

Same here, plus we also got a loyalty discount [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are there difference levels within the Sunset Veranda (SV) category? I'm wondering how I'd go about booking one at a lower pricing level.

There are not, it is a stand alone category. They are all on the Aft.

"Captain's Club one category upgrade excludes category 12, FV, SV, C1"

Edited by wallie5446

There are not, it is a stand alone category. They are all on the Aft.

"Captain's Club one category upgrade excludes category 12, FV, SV, C1"

Thanks, that's what I thought, but had missed the exclusions list. Actually not bad news for me, as we had an SV on our last cruise in March and another booked for our next Celebrity cruise. I would have been kicking myself had I missed out. :)

Edited by Fouremco

Oceangoer2 ..... Read post #3 in this thread

Thank you for the reference, however I'm aware of the categories being excluded...just asked if you could pay for C2 and go to C1. I know you can't go C1 to a suite if that's what you're referring to. Post #12 in the note before mine mentioned "When I booked the Equinox cruise for next year, I was able to book an A1 cabin for the A2 price, which saved me $650 and we are getting the Best Pkg as well." which made me think why would C2 to C1 be any different?

Thank you for the reference, however I'm aware of the categories being excluded...just asked if you could pay for C2 and go to C1. I know you can't go C1 to a suite if that's what you're referring to. Post #12 in the note before mine mentioned "When I booked the Equinox cruise for next year, I was able to book an A1 cabin for the A2 price, which saved me $650 and we are getting the Best Pkg as well." which made me think why would C2 to C1 be any different?

They do have some odd rules and makes you wonder why. Maybe they are trying to steer people away from certain categories that they can sell easier?

We were able to book a C2 on the slant with the larger balcony for the price of a C3. We didn't get that benefit on the 12/31 cruise we added for a B2B, however. As already mentioned, that benefit is not available on holiday cruises.

It's good to keep it in mind just in case it works to your benefit!