Is Celebrity acting fairly on this?

billydog

When on board the Eclipse last July we booked an Alaskan cruise for July 2017. This was marketed to us with the benefit of 2 out of

Classic Drinks Package

usd 300 obc plus another 150 we could spend on the present cruise or keep for the one booked

Unlimited Internet

Prepaid Gratuities

We picked the first 2 and were told that we could transfer our booking to another cruise up to the date we had to pay the full cost having paid the deposit. Cost was Guest 1 2026 Guest 2 2026 = 4052 (euros).

The benefits were attractive to us and it was important to us that we could transfer to another cruise if we wanted. ( I find you really need to be at home and online to see exactly what you want and when).

So last week we finally decided that we would move the booking to a Mediterranean for July 2017. I thought the benefits we had received with the original booking would transfer - but no. Reason given was that the Med cruise is a special offer in that Guest 2 benefitted from half price fare so if we wanted to keep the old benefits we lose that half price benefit and it wouldn't make commercial sense. Cruise fare were Guest 1 2728 Guest 2 1312 - 4040. We get drinks package and 150 obc but lose the 300 obc.

Celebrity appear to be using sharp enough practice in this. While it could be covered in the small print, the Guest 2 half price seems to me to be just a marketing ploy and the overall typical costs for these cruises does not change. For example the original Alaskan cruise we booked in now available with the Guest 2 half price benefit cost but the overall price is more or less identical to the price we got ( they just hiked up the Guest 1 price to achieve this.

So I am at the loss of the USD 300 obc! I feel hard done by.

I have not raised this with Celebrity yet and before I do (or don't ) would welcome views.

Thanks for help.

When on board the Eclipse last July we booked an Alaskan cruise for July 2017. This was marketed to us with the benefit of 2 out of

Classic Drinks Package

usd 300 obc plus another 150 we could spend on the present cruise or keep for the one booked

Unlimited Internet

Prepaid Gratuities

We picked the first 2 and were told that we could transfer our booking to another cruise up to the date we had to pay the full cost having paid the deposit. Cost was Guest 1 2026 Guest 2 2026 = 4052 (euros).

The benefits were attractive to us and it was important to us that we could transfer to another cruise if we wanted. ( I find you really need to be at home and online to see exactly what you want and when).

So last week we finally decided that we would move the booking to a Mediterranean for July 2017. I thought the benefits we had received with the original booking would transfer - but no. Reason given was that the Med cruise is a special offer in that Guest 2 benefitted from half price fare so if we wanted to keep the old benefits we lose that half price benefit and it wouldn't make commercial sense. Cruise fare were Guest 1 2728 Guest 2 1312 - 4040. We get drinks package and 150 obc but lose the 300 obc.

Celebrity appear to be using sharp enough practice in this. While it could be covered in the small print, the Guest 2 half price seems to me to be just a marketing ploy and the overall typical costs for these cruises does not change. For example the original Alaskan cruise we booked in now available with the Guest 2 half price benefit cost but the overall price is more or less identical to the price we got ( they just hiked up the Guest 1 price to achieve this.

I have not raised this with Celebrity yet and before I do (or don't ) would welcome views.

Thanks for help.

When you normally move to a different date . The offers that is currently effect replaces the old pricing . Normal with most cruise lines. Don't know what your rules are in Ireland. But that is what happens to us.

Edited by Kamloops50

Classic Drinks Package

Unlimited Internet

Prepaid Gratuities

Thanks for help.

Welcome to the land of Celebrity who use smoke and mirrors on prices and it is very difficult to get them to play fair with prices and changing cruises.

First, it seems to me that you should be getting $300 obc. The $150 as the perk you chose plus the $10 that you were given for committing to a cruise while still on board. After all, this was a benefit that you chose to defer, and it shouldn't be taken away from you.

Second, you are right. The 2nd person 1/2 off really is just a marketing tool. The reality is that it costs the same before and now for two people in a cabin. They have simply raised the prices by 25% and then offered 50% on the second person.

Therefore, I would argue that you should be able to get the current ricing with the $300 obc and the other perk you chose. The additional obc is generally driven by how long the cruise is. If it is the same, then you should get the other $150 obc as well.

I am not claiming this is Celebrity's policy, only that this is the argument I would make. Also, sometimes you have to call back repeatedly in order to get a logical, articulate, reasonable, thinking human being on the other end of the line.

Welcome to the land of Celebrity who use smoke and mirrors on prices and it is very difficult to get them to play fair with prices and changing cruises.

I am not sure that it is unfair.

Celebrity should make sure that the rules of engagement are clearer. I would think that if you are changing to another cruise from the one you booked, you would accept the current terms/conditions/offer, not expect to get the new offer plus what you have already accumulated if better than current offer(which is how I see people perceiving it)

It sounds like people want the lower price, for example ( which I suspect did not include the other benefits) and keep the other benefits which would be like getting a much better deal than someone who just booked the cruise under the current terms.

I think the offer to transfer is to allow people some flexibilty when needed with out hurting them, not creating a situation of sequential deals/transfers.

Disagree. You get the price listed, that's fair. Many, many other companies, and not just cruise lines do this type of pricing. Have you tried to change a flight???

As far as I understood when you switch cruises (and we have) you pretty much get credit for deposit, anything else is with the old cruise. And it makes sense. They give these perks based on the current promotion, price of cruise, etc. These perks were for an Alaskan cruise, not a Med cruise. If they aren't offering it on the new cruise there is no reason for them to move over the perks. It's a bummer but in some cases people come out ahead as the new cruise offers better perks.

I'm not a Celebrity loyalist but do understand the reasoning behind it, whether I agree or not.

Yes that is how I understand the rules also. Keep checking for sales though. If there is a sale that includes 2 perks for a good price they might let you get what you wanted that way. It might not even cost you anything. I'm in the usa though so I'm more familiar with how it works here. You might also be able to move to a travel agent who has a group booked, for better pricing and group amenities.

Disagree. You get the price listed, that's fair. Many, many other companies, and not just cruise lines do this type of pricing. Have you tried to change a flight???

As far as I understood when you switch cruises (and we have) you pretty much get credit for deposit, anything else is with the old cruise. And it makes sense. They give these perks based on the current promotion, price of cruise, etc. These perks were for an Alaskan cruise, not a Med cruise. If they aren't offering it on the new cruise there is no reason for them to move over the perks. It's a bummer but in some cases people come out ahead as the new cruise offers better perks.

I'm not a Celebrity loyalist but do understand the reasoning behind it, whether I agree or not.

No - the perks were not just for the Alaskan cruise - they were for any cruise that was booked on board. As far as I understand it they were perks given only if you booked on board. There was a big marketing blurb

headed up "It's Our Best Offer Ever" Expiring on 31st July 2016.

I am reading from the marketing literature here and as follows:-

"For a limited time, choose 2 Free Perks when you book an ocean view stateroom or higher on almost any cruise from January 2017 through April 2018.

Limited Time Offer is available until July 31st 2016. Visit your Future Cruise Vacation Team on board to learn more and reserve your next cruise vacation."

If you are a Captain's Club member, I would call the Captain Club number. I have had much better luck with them than calling the regular reservation number. Keep in mind that you need to call M-F during regular business hours.

When we booked on board, we got all the perks as well as additional OBC just for booking on board.When I transferred my cruise, all of my perks remained the same. Look at your paperwork from booking onboard. If it is true that the perks you received were from booking onboard and not a current offer, they should transfer as long as you keep the same booking number.

Good luck. I know it can be incredibly frustrating dealing with the reservation staff.

/quote]

On our Med cruise the price really did drop by £1000 on that offer and we could not change, UK rules of Celebrity, without losing our £300 deposit. There is a massive thread that involved this if you care to read it, but their roller coaster rides on prices and issues with transfers etc etc etc means that I am a first time Celebrity cruiser and a lst time Celebrity cruiser.

"almost any cruise"

There's the get out.

Not saying you're wrong, I actually think you're right, but treat any and all 'offers' with healthy cynicism and you'll be surprised how much fun it gets reading the small print and then putting your wallet back in your pocket. [emoji857][emoji848][emoji849][emoji41]

I use a very knowledgeable and experienced travel agent. She tells me to always book onboard to get the ADDITIONAL OBC. If we change our minds on the itinerary, she will argue with Celebrity to make everything right for us. She knows all the tricks!

Classic Drinks Package

Unlimited Internet

Prepaid Gratuities

Thanks for help.

I think we (consumers) think of this situation in terms of two separate transactions. First, you buy 7 (or however many) nights on a ship at a given rate with given perks and add-on bonuses. Second, you choose a ship and sailing date. With this perspective, if you later choose 7 (or however many) nights on a different ship with a different sailing date (maybe in a different part of the world), you expect the cost and benefits to you to be the same. The Company, Celebrity in this case, has a much more nuanced perspective. They have multiple thousand combinations of cabin type by ships by itinerary by date, and each one has a potential market value. They periodically adjust and promote some subsection of their offerings. In this model, any comparability of prices from one cabin/ship/itinerary/date combination (e.g., Alaska July 2017 ...) to another cabin/ship/itinerary/date combination is purely coincidental. Their claim that you can switch among various combinations while keeping some or all of your original booking price and perks is probably valid within narrow limits defined in the fine print.

My last few Celebrity cruise reservations have been made onboard and we have received what we expected in terms of price benefits and perks. But we went into each cruise knowing what future cruise(s) we would book and have very little expectation of changing our plans.

I hope this works out for you!

Stan

So last week we finally decided that we would move the booking to a Mediterranean for July 2017. I thought the benefits we had received with the original booking would transfer - but no. Reason given was that the Med cruise is a special offer in that Guest 2 benefitted from half price fare so if we wanted to keep the old benefits we lose that half price benefit and it wouldn't make commercial sense.

Normally when you try to switch from one cruise to another [or even one cabin category to another on the same cruise] you have to give up your old deal and take the deal that is currently on offer. Your statement above shows that Celebrity is offering you the choice to keep the old deal or take the new one -- so you have actually been given a 'better' deal than usual.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

No - the perks were not just for the Alaskan cruise - they were for any cruise that was booked on board. As far as I understand it they were perks given only if you booked on board. There was a big marketing blurb headed up "It's Our Best Offer Ever" Expiring on 31st July 2016.

But you didn't book the Med cruise onboard.

The same thing happened to us when we booked a FCC with Celebrity. During our first cruise ever, we booked an FCC, and were promised that the two perks and FCC credits would apply when we finally chose a cruise. In the meantime, we could just pick a cruise far in the future.

Reality - no way does it work that way. We have actually had trouble getting the FCC OBC because it does not combine with any other promotion. We could not even combine with a resident discount, and the two perks seemed to have disappeared.

The truth is we didn't fully understand how the FCC and the person selling it to us was not particularly forthcoming. Partly our fault for not enquiring further into how it worked.

End result. We will not be buying another FCC from Celebrity, but I acknowledge we should have been more diligent in understanding the promotion.

I hope it works out better for you because the promotion for us has been basically useless. I even asked them to just give us the $100 credit towards our cruise (no perks or OBC included) and I was told it did not work that way. We enjoyed cruising on Celebrity, but this particularly promotion just did not work well for us.

To answer the question "is X acting fairly?" - yes. When you change a booking, or when you want to benefit from a reduced price on an existing booking, your perks change to whatever the offer is at that time - it has always been like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Classic Drinks Package

Unlimited Internet

Prepaid Gratuities

Thanks for help.

billydog

I think that I am right in assuming that from Ireland you book through the UK office. The following is based on that assumption.

When we booked on board in a similar situation to you - booking a holding cruise until the one we wanted was released with the guarantee that you could switch all the perks to another cruise without penalty - I expected difficulties because we knew that we wanted to book a Christmas/New Year cruise as well as being in the UK. We were assured on board that there would be no difficulty but I kept all the documentation, just-in-case.

We booked the "holiday" cruise as soon as it was released which meant that it was covered by the (then current) early booking offer. We DID get to keep our on board booking perks AND the early booing offer BUT we had great difficulty getting all the perks successfully applied. I needed o go all the way up the food chain to do so and that was when the path was "eased" by having booked a PH suite.

However, in our case is was simply the difficulty experienced in the UK getting perks added. Each one seems to take about three accounting cycles and the person adding them has to be really determined. Here is the important bit for you, no one at any time suggested that we could not combine the two "offers".

Celebrity in the UK appear to be semi-automatous and keep changing the "rules" to the customer's disadvantage but, if I was you, I would continue to fight for whatever you were told on board. Unfortunately, if you did not confirmation on board that any future offers could be combined with the on board booking offer, you may be on shakier ground.

Best of luck.

Edited by Project_gal

Classic Drinks Package

Unlimited Internet

Prepaid Gratuities

The benefits were attractive to us and it was important to us that we could transfer to another cruise if we wanted.

I can sympathize because many Americans also have experienced similar confusion about this when we are told that we will get to keep our perks for booking on board, even if we transfer the booking to another cruise.

The confusion is caused by the wording, if the future sales person lumps together all the perks being offered at the time, and fails to distinguish:

(1) the additional perks being offered for booking on board

from

(2) the regular promotional perks being offered at the time.

It is simply described as:

If you book on board, you will get this, this and this.

What they frequently fail to tell you is that if you transfer the booking to another cruise while the same promotional perks are still in effect, you can keep them.

If the same price is still in effect at that time, you can keep your price too.

But if the pricing and/or the promotion has changed, then you get whatever new pricing and promotion are being offered at that time.

The only thing you get to keep in that case is the additional onboard credit (or whatever additional promotional offer you received) for booking on board.

To us, it is still worth booking on board just to get the additional onboard credit.

But at times, if we qualify for a much lower promotional price, we may even lose that.

This is commonly done by many other companies, not only Celebrity.

It is not worth getting upset about.

They raise the price and offer you half off, or they raise the price and offer you additional "included" or "free" perks, or they claim that the value of a perk they are "giving" you is much greater than what it is really worth to you.

I understand that the UK has stricter laws when it comes to truth in advertising and consumer protection, so that may be why you have not experienced it previously.

Most of us in the USA are well accustomed to these types of promotions and take them with a grain of salt.

But in all fairness, I must admit that we have greatly enjoyed our Celebrity cruises.

Really sorry that you were disappointed this way.

Edited by fleckle

The confusion is caused by the wording, if the future sales person lumps together all the perks being offered at the time, and fails to distinguish:

(1) the additional perks being offered for booking on board from

(2) the regular promotional perks being offered at the time.

It is simply described as:

If you book on board, you will get this, this and this.

What they frequently fail to tell you is that if you transfer the booking to another cruise while the same promotional perks are still in effect, you can keep them.

If the same price is still in effect at that time, you can keep your price too.

But if the pricing and/or the promotion has changed, then you get whatever new pricing and promotion are being offered at that time.

The only thing you get to keep in that case is the additional onboard credit (or whatever additional promotional offer you received) for booking on board.

I am reading from the marketing literature here and as follows:-

"For a limited time, choose 2 Free Perks when you book an ocean view stateroom or higher on almost any cruise from January 2017 through April 2018.

Limited Time Offer is available until July 31st 2016. Visit your Future Cruise Vacation Team on board to learn more and reserve your next cruise vacation."

This thread is of great interest to me, although we are in the U.S..

While onboard our NE/Canada, earlier this month, we made a "future" booking for ourselves and also secured 2 more staterooms for our adult children.

The current promo if booked AT HOME was only 1 Perk and the 50% off the 2nd passenger. The promo ONBOARD was 2 Perks of choice, plus OBC equaling the amount of deposit ($100 pp = $200 OBC) and the 50% off 2nd passenger. So the ONBOARD perks were definitely something given for booking a reservation onboard, and not what the current offer at home is. ;)

We told the Future Cruise Rep that we wanted to take our children on a European (ideally a 10 or 11 Night Greek Isles) cruise, but we were not sure of the timing. We were thinking either next spring of next fall, but needed to check with the children and their schedules. Of course we wanted to book it onboard to get the advertised offers. So the FCR said that she would set the reservation up for a date as far out as possible and then we just change the cruise (and keep all the perks) when we talked to the kids. We gave the names, paid the deposits. This was the day before departure of our cruise. FCR said she would take care of it and send the paperwork to our stateroom and also email a copy. When we got in from dinner that night, the paperwork was sitting on our bed. I was surprised to see us all booked on an 11 night Caribbean cruise in April of 2018! :eek: Also, the last name of our married children was incorrect (she had used our last name.)

So down to the FCR the next morning before disembarkation. They were closed, but another FCR made the changes on the names. I asked him about the reservation saying Caribbean versus Mediterranean. He said not to worry and that we could change the cruise to what ever we liked, pay the prevailing rate on the stateroom category we chose, and keep the perks given for booking onboard.

After talking to our children, we are close to making a decision on the date and definitely want to take the Greek Isles cruise. But now, after reading this thread, I am afraid. :eek:

Edited by Iamthesea

The on-board booking $ bonus stays with the reservation number....so if you change to another cruise using the same reservation number, that $ perk will stay with you.

The other perks go with the specific cruise you are booking. An example...you book a european cruise with 4 perks on board and then change to a transatlantic. No, you don't keep the 4 perks....in fact you'd lose them all because those perks aren't offered on transtlantics. You would, however, keep your on-board booking $ bonus (as long as the reservation number stays the same).

The on-board booking $ bonus stays with the reservation number....so if you change to another cruise using the same reservation number, that $ perk will stay with you.

The other perks go with the specific cruise you are booking. An example...you book a european cruise with 4 perks on board and then change to a transatlantic. No, you don't keep the 4 perks....in fact you'd lose them all because those perks aren't offered on transtlantics. You would, however, keep your on-board booking $ bonus (as long as the reservation number stays the same).

Thanks, so are you saying the $300 plus $150 should remain?