Is Celebrity acting fairly on this?

billydog

I use a very knowledgeable and experienced travel agent. She tells me to always book onboard to get the ADDITIONAL OBC. If we change our minds on the itinerary, she will argue with Celebrity to make everything right for us. She knows all the tricks!

I am looking for a good TA. Is your TA local or available through online site? Can you provide any tips on your TA or I can give you my email address? Thanks

The on-board booking $ bonus stays with the reservation number....so if you change to another cruise using the same reservation number, that $ perk will stay with you.

The other perks go with the specific cruise you are booking. An example...you book a european cruise with 4 perks on board and then change to a transatlantic. No, you don't keep the 4 perks....in fact you'd lose them all because those perks aren't offered on transtlantics. You would, however, keep your on-board booking $ bonus (as long as the reservation number stays the same).

Thanks, so are you saying the $300 plus $150 should remain?

Not necessarily. Your FCC depends on the stateroom class and number of days in the itinerary. For example, if you booked a Veranda for a 14 day cruise onboard and then changed it to a 7 day inside stateroom, your FCC would be much less. It depends on what you change your cruise to.

With regards to the OP, it depends in his new itinerary. His FCC may be much less than $150 and his $300 OBC may disappear entirely. It just depends on his new itinerary and the perks offered on that new itinerary. If the OP is not happy with his new package, then he should cancel his cruise and get his $100 deposit back.

Yes, Celebrity is treating the OP fairly.

I am looking for a good TA. Is your TA local or available through online site? Can you provide any tips on your TA or I can give you my email address? Thanks

We have to be careful about running afoul of the CC rules, which I find onerous.

I would be happy to recommend my TA. Her company has a website, but she operates directly via telephone and she is always available. I don't know how to give you her information. I would not recommend that you post your email address online.

Perhaps someone might have a better suggestion.

I have read enough threads about their future cruise scam that it has poisoned me against even considering buying into it. There are too many hoops to jump through especially since they started with big, better and best. They really need to simplify this product. The way it's set up now it's like buying a pig in a poke or flat out bait and switch. Any incentive that was on the table when purchasing the future cruise should follow any itinerary no matter what the price.

Billydog,

Did you receive a T&C document attached to your future cruise booking? If it is under the UK terms, it gives 2 options your are entitled to when making 'free' unlimited changes (see attachment below; sorry, the quality is not that good but this is what was attached to our reservation n.b. this is version 5, effective as of 25/07/16).

Option 1 states:

Guests can keep their promotion/benefit(s) and transfer them over to their new sailing (if applicable): guests select their new ship and/or sail date, paying the new prevailing standard rate. Their promotion/benefit(s) will transfer with them to their new cruise providing the new sailing and stateroom category was eligible to the same promotion/benefit(s) at the time of the original booking was made. This applies to all ship and/or sail date changes made. If the new sailing/stateroom chosen was not applicable to the promotion/benefit(s) at the time the original booking was made, then guests are entitled to option 2 (below) only.

Option 2:

Guests drop what promotion/benefit(s) they had and take the current UK market promotion/benefit(s) available at the time of making the change (if applicable): guests select their new ship and/or sail date, paying the new prevailing promo/standard rate and will receive (if applicable) the current UK market promotion/benefit(s). Guests forfeit their original promotion/benefit(s) as these are not combinable. This applies to all ship and/or sail date changes made.

image.jpg1_zps5ognxmud.jpg

So, basically, if your booking is under these terms, change to a new sailing date and pay full standard rate - as it was advertised at the time of your sailing - and keep your promotions, or take the new offers and lose the extra onboard booking promos. It also states that if you upgrade or downgrade your cabin when making the change of sailing, the relevant promotion for the chosen stateroom category that would have been applicable at the time of booking will then be applied.

Hope it helps, if not to you, then perhaps others that book under the UK T&Cs ;).

I have read enough threads about their future cruise scam that it has poisoned me against even considering buying into it. There are too many hoops to jump through especially since they started with big, better and best. They really need to simplify this product. The way it's set up now it's like buying a pig in a poke or flat out bait and switch. Any incentive that was on the table when purchasing the future cruise should follow any itinerary no matter what the price.

I think the issue with the OP was there was a bonus of OBC. They got an extra $300 for something. They got the drink package, $300 and the amount equal to their deposit. That $30@ could have been tied to an Alaska promo. The standard perks when booking onboard do transfer and you can get price breaks

I think the issue with the OP was there was a bonus of OBC. They got an extra $300 for something. They got the drink package, $300 and the amount equal to their deposit. That $30@ could have been tied to an Alaska promo. The standard perks when booking onboard do transfer and you can get price breaks

Honestly, I do understand what has happened and I do support Celebrity. However, if I didn't follow cruise critic I would be dazed and confused. I much prefer how Princess future cruise certificate works. It's simple and clear. With Celebrity there are just too many variables and scenarios that only seem to complicate the purchase. It's a total turn off. I'm not willing to read and novel of terms and conditions while I'm on vacation.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Honestly, I do understand what has happened and I do support Celebrity. However, if I didn't follow cruise critic I would be dazed and confused. I much prefer how Princess future cruise certificate works. It's simple and clear. With Celebrity there are just too many variables and scenarios that only seem to complicate the purchase. It's a total turn off. I'm not willing to read and novel of terms and conditions while I'm on vacation.

I am with you!

Simple would be better. They could quickly just say that any OBC earned due to booking onboard transfers and either you keep your deal/cruise that you booked onboard or you can change with no penalty for a current promotion/benefit offered cruise. I personally think the offer should only extend to one change before losing OBC as it could in theory cover 3 plus years if you make a change but wait till just before the originally booked cruise.

Having stated the above, Celebrity has only themselves to blame with all the smoke and mirrors they create with such convoluted pricing schemes.

OP here.

Thanks to everybody for their views here. A few points as follows:

1) I made a particular point of heading up this post "fairly" and did not use the "legally". I have read the T&C and yes Celebrity can do what they are doing.

2) However, the options were not sold to us this way. It was stated very clearly that we could transfer to another cruise and keep our benefits. I feel sore about this, and foolish for not quizzing them properly and in the circumstances it is clear I should have. More fool me.

3) If the the new cruise had not been priced on the daft 2nd passenger half price we would have retained the benefits. The cost of a 7 to 9 day Med cruise with Celebrity is c.Euro 4500 in July whether this is stated as 2250 each or 1 full and one half.

So in my view Celebrity has acted within their rights but not fairly and in the best interest of their customers (particularly this foolish one). So I have decided I am going to have a go at them to see if I can get anywhere.

BTW we are good customers of theirs with the planned cruise our third and plans now in train for a Panama Canal cruise in 2018.

Thanks again

OP here.

1) I made a particular point of heading up this post "fairly" and did not use the "legally". I have read the T&C and yes Celebrity can do what they are doing.

2) However, the options were not sold to us this way. It was stated very clearly that we could transfer to another cruise and keep our benefits. I feel sore about this, and foolish for not quizzing them properly and in the circumstances it is clear I should have. More fool me.

3) If the the new cruise had not been priced on the daft 2nd passenger half price we would have retained the benefits. The cost of a 7 to 9 day Med cruise with Celebrity is c.Euro 4500 in July whether this is stated as 2250 each or 1 full and one half.

So in my view Celebrity has acted within their rights but not fairly and in the best interest of their customers (particularly this foolish one). So I have decided I am going to have a go at them to see if I can get anywhere.

BTW we are good customers of theirs with the planned cruise our third and plans now in train for a Panama Canal cruise in 2018.

Thanks again

We have found that booking terms are not as clear as needed and there are exceptions that should be disclosed.

I also find that as I try to disclose things to my customers I deal with, that they can only handle a few and then zone out if there rules are too many as to exceptions/restrictions.

Hope you have some great cruises!

OP here.

Thanks again

If it's the promo that is the problem, why not just wait till this promo is over and then try to do the transfer, if the cruise price goes back to "normal"?

I was always under the impression that the OBC for booking onboard following the booking, but any perks offered would be lost if moved. Maybe there is an argument since they do give the second perk that at least one perk should follow the booking, too.

Edited by SusieV

And this is how the incentive to book onboard is promoted. :rolleyes:

OP here.

Thanks again

If it's the promo that is the problem, why not just wait till this promo is over and then try to do the transfer, if the cruise price goes back to "normal"?

The current 50% off promo is suppose to end tomorrow!

This offer is only available October 3 – October 31, 2016.

We found that we did save a few hundred dollars with this promo on the first leg of our cruise. Now I am not sure if I should change the FCC reservation tomorrow (if the kids say yes to second leg) or wait until the promo ends. :confused:

Edited by Iamthesea

I understand your point, but is it still at this price of 2250 each?

There's been a gradual increase in prices, which is done in part with these promos. The end price will stay the same for some time, but via different promos as the first person price rises. Then when the promo ends the price will be higher as the new base price is at that first person price level.

At this stage I have an impression that Celebrity have applied the promotion fairly based on current pricing as well. That said, I can definitely understand how it appears, and with the techniques they use it's not readily apparent.

I understand your point, but is it still at this price of 2250 each?

I believe the point is that, in the UK, Celebrity have to show the price per room when you are booking and not, as I believe it is in the USA, per person. Thus, Celebrity making a "second person half price" offer gets ridiculous when they increase the basic fare first to allow for the "offer" - as they did. Whatever the marketing hype in the emails or on their website, when you go to make a booking, it looks the same. Seeing the same price as before the offer, people go forward and expect the cruise to be cheaper. When it isn't confusion reigns. Some feel cheated.

I believe the point is that, in the UK, Celebrity have to show the price per room when you are booking and not, as I believe it is in the USA, per person. Thus, Celebrity making a "second person half price" offer gets ridiculous when they increase the basic fare first to allow for the "offer" - as they did. Whatever the marketing hype in the emails or on their website, when you go to make a booking, it looks the same. Seeing the same price as before the offer, people go forward and expect the cruise to be cheaper. When it isn't confusion reigns. Some feel cheated.

It's, on the surface, actually worse elsewhere.

As it is priced per person, you see the advertised price actually go up during the sale, which creates anger as people think the sales are false.

Then when you go through to the end, the price works out the same - which then keeps people still annoyed about sales.

We have successfully booked onboard and moved to another ship and date keeping all perks of the 123Go promo. I am sure that it was still within the same promo time as they ran 123Go forever. All of the sudden that cruise is coming up and new pricing makes the onboard booking switch in a sky suite look like the The best deal ever!!! Actually more than a 2 for 1 fair. Only because they have raised prices of suite category so much since the changes.

Celebrity used to be a leader INHO; marketing their brand with class. A wonderful niche cruise line with not-to-large elegant ships -sans water slides and rock walls, great food and consistency. Now they are acting more like down market lines but up pricing close to lux brands for 300 sq+ staterooms.

I still think there is a benefit to book on board, but a good TA is the way to go for us from now on. Let them fight the battles and you end up getting more.

We have to be careful about running afoul of the CC rules, which I find onerous.

I would be happy to recommend my TA. Her company has a website, but she operates directly via telephone and she is always available. I don't know how to give you her information. I would not recommend that you post your email address online.

Perhaps someone might have a better suggestion.

Does your TA charge you penalties if you cancel your reservation before final payment? Does your TA allow you to take advantage of price reductions before final payment. I have tried a couple of big TA's that are online. One charges 24.95 to use their service and if you cancel prior to final payment you lose 24.95 + 100. The other one will charge 25.00 every time you have a price reduction prior to final payment.

Does your TA charge you penalties if you cancel your reservation before final payment?

No.

Does your TA allow you to take advantage of price reductions before final payment.

Yes, in fact she calls me immediately to inform of the new rate and ask if I want to take advantage of it! I don't have to do anything, she takes care of everything.

I have tried a couple of big TA's that are online. One charges 24.95 to use their service and if you cancel prior to final payment you lose 24.95 + 100. The other one will charge 25.00 every time you have a price reduction prior to final payment.

My TA is not part of the big online firms. In my opinion they are terrible, no customer service. My TA gives me additional OBC, in addition to what the cruise line offers. For example, on my next cruise next March, my TA has given me an ADDITIONAL $325 to use on a 15 day cruise!

Does your TA charge you penalties if you cancel your reservation before final payment? Does your TA allow you to take advantage of price reductions before final payment. I have tried a couple of big TA's that are online. One charges 24.95 to use their service and if you cancel prior to final payment you lose 24.95 + 100. The other one will charge 25.00 every time you have a price reduction prior to final payment.

These are all the questions one should confirm prior to transferring their booking/making a booking with that particular TA. Mine does not charges for price drops or cancellations, however, their extra OBC is reduced slightly if you take the price drops (understandable as it will mean her commission is reduced from X). She does explain what the reduction is prior to making any changes so that I'm fully aware of the new price and perks, and can then decide if I won't to take the price drop/new promotion ;).