Flying From The Uk

Tiggipaws

Hello

I am going to be flying from Manchester England and I was wondering should I fly into Fort Lauderdale or Miami? I have been told Miami would be better but I'm not sure if this is correct.

Any advice on which airline to fly with?

Thank you:)

Hello

I am going to be flying from Manchester England and I was wondering should I fly into Fort Lauderdale or Miami? I have been told Miami would be better but I'm not sure if this is correct.

Assuming you are on the Eurodam, FLL (Ft Lauderdale) should be your choice, at least in terms of proximity to the port of departure. It's a 15 minute cab ride from the airport to the cruise port. Lots of hotels as you are hopefully coming in a day or more early.

Lots of airlines fly into FLL. Have you a preference?

Edited by 0bnxshs

Hello

I don't think Miami is any better. If I am sailing out of FLL and get a good flight there, I am quite happy to take it.

Since you are flying from the U.K., you might have better flights available that go to Miami? I'd look at the flights available to both airports and see which ones have the schedule/connections that suit you the best. If there is no difference I'd fly to FLL. You're going to be tired after your flight and may not feel like the 45-60 minute trip from Miami to FLL.

From a quick look at a multi-line site, it seems the fares are very comparable to Miami or Fort Lauderdale - but there are far more non-stops from LHR to Miami - in fact I did not see any to Fort Lauderdale. Getting from Miami to Fort Lauderdale is not that bad - and would strike me as a whole lot easier than changing planes in Amsterdam or Paris or wherever.

It would be my choice to head to Ft. Lauderdale, where there are many hotels around the airport.

Ft.Lauderdale, while still a busy airport, is far less busy than MIA.

From Manchester to South Florida, you will have to connect 'somewhere' - either Heathrow or JFK (New York), Newark or Atlanta. Chose your 'poison' and consider the weather - it shouldn't be bad the time of year that are traveling.

If it were me, I'd chose connecting at Atlanta, realizing that all three airports,(LHR, JFK, EWR and ATL), the walking distances and US Border Controls (Customs/Immigration) are not easy, to say the least.

An Old Boltonian

Either, It is abougt one hour taxi ride form FLL to Maimi. depending upon trafffic.

If you wre wable, I would recommend you fly to the city from which your ship will sail. Come a few days in advance of sailing an spend thossefew dayus enjoying South Florida. HAL sails from Port Everbglades, (Fort Lauderdale.) Canrival sails more from Miami, NCL, Miiami, Celebrity and Princess FLL b ut you oviously need toch erck a bouty your c ruise line/ship.

Edited by sail7seas

hi,

we have always flown to miami, and got the transfer to Lauderdale (30-40) mins and stayed overnight, on return we have taken the HAL shutle back to Miami airport , dumped our luggage at the airport for $20 and then got the very cheap bus to miami beach for the day - direct flights from the uk to Fort lauderdale are limited

There are super cheap flights now from Norwegian and WOW Air, if you don't mind going from London, or going via Reykjavik! I just got a one way direct from Gatwick to FLL on Norwegian for £230 including luggage.

WOW is even cheaper but as I said you need to go via Iceland. I was very impressed with them though. All 3 of my flights last month were perfectly on time; they have nice service and they got me from London to Baltimore and back for about £350.

We always fly BA into Miami, take HAL's shuttle and stay overnight in Fort Lauderdale. You'll get a better selection of flights and fares into Miami anyway. At one point in time because of immigration restrictions, you had to catch a connecting flight to FLL from Miami, but I'm not sure if that is the case these days.

I can see why you want to fly from MAN. You're close to it, and it's much easier to navigate than LHR--both getting to and getting through.

Prices being more or less equal, I'd make my first priority a direct flight. If that isn't possible, then go for the most convenient connection. FLL or Miami isn't a huge difference. FLL is closer to the port, but not so much that it's a major consideration. We usually go early and spend a few days in Miami Beach. We've taken a car service from there and been at the Port in FLL in under an hour. The drive from the airport should be about the same.

I've flown from LHR to MIA many times, using BA (direct flight). Have always pre-booked transport to collect me at MIA and take me to hotel in FLL. It's around 40-50 mins so not too bad. As others have said, it's always nice to arrive a couple of days before the cruise. Gives time to have a relaxing day and acclimatise to time change before boarding your ship.

Whatever way you choose, have fun!

Do NOT fly into Dulles and then to Ft Laud. I have seen horrid lines for foreign travelers to get through customs. Many have missed their connecting flights.

Hopefully someone will add to this post ; someone who has arrived from your airport to Miami and has taken transportation to Ft Laud. If you look at the Port Everglades webcam, some shots are telephoto lens to the south and one can make out the Miami skyline. I think it won't be hard to find transportation between the airports.

They also show now planes landing at the Miami airport on a webcam at the same site. (of no important to you but just interesting)

The main problem that the OP will find is that there are NO direct scheduled flights from Manchester to Fort Lauderdale.

Norwegian have started flying direct from London Gatwick to Fort Lauderdale, but not every day - not very convenient for the OP! I don't know of any other direct flights from UK to Fort Lauderdale.

The advice on flying to Miami and shuttling from Miami to Fort Lauderdale upon arrival seems the good solution.

• 2 weeks later...
Do NOT fly into Dulles and then to Ft Laud. I have seen horrid lines for foreign travelers to get through customs. Many have missed their connecting flights.

Hopefully someone will add to this post ; someone who has arrived from your airport to Miami and has taken transportation to Ft Laud. If you look at the Port Everglades webcam, some shots are telephoto lens to the south and one can make out the Miami skyline. I think it won't be hard to find transportation between the airports.

They also show now planes landing at the Miami airport on a webcam at the same site. (of no important to you but just interesting)

If u got a good price look at a flight to Dulles via Dublin or Shannon u clear customs and immigration there and just sail through when u arrive

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are flying from Heathrow to Miami next month. Then after the ridiculous queue for immigration at that airport, we have pre booked transport to FL for one night pre cruise. Last time we stayed near Miami airport for one night the traveled to FL the next morning straight to the ship. Not a whole lot of difference really.

We have flown several times Shannon - Fort Lauderdale (via Newark) and Dublin to Fort Lauderdale (via JFK or Phillie or Boston). All of these flights had the advantage of having US Pre-clearance at Shannon or Dublin airport, thereby arriving into the US as a domestic flight. However the negative side was the necessity for the second flight to FLL and the layovers.

Last March we flew from Cork to LHR to Miami (with Virgin) and although we did not pre clear Immigration in Ireland, the delays in Miami were not as bad as I had been expecting. We had booked a transfer with Larry's Limos and were met at the airport by our driver who took us to Fort Lauderdale.

We are currently planning another cruise for next March and depending on pricing would have no hesitation in flying into Miami and taking a limo to Fort Lauderdale.

You ask which airline. We are flying Virgin (as we have done previously) and find them an excellent airline. We are staying in Miami overnight and taking a shuttle. The only problem is that I think they only fly to Orlando from Manchester, Miami I think is just from Heathrow.

Edited by mancunian

I've flown from LHR to MIA many times, using BA (direct flight). Have always pre-booked transport to collect me at MIA and take me to hotel in FLL. It's around 40-50 mins so not too bad.
This is my usual route, too.

I haven't flown to MIA for a few years now, but AIUI it's now got lots of machines for those with chipped passports, so the immigration horrors of the past are largely history - although personally, I've been reasonably lucky with MIA queues and only had very long ones a couple of times.

The OP doesn't say when their cruise is, but BA is starting a Gatwick to Fort Lauderdale in July 2017 - although it won't be daily.

hi,

we have always flown to miami, and got the transfer to Lauderdale (30-40) mins and stayed overnight, on return we have taken the HAL shutle back to Miami airport , dumped our luggage at the airport for $20 and then got the very cheap bus to miami beach for the day - direct flights from the uk to Fort lauderdale are limited

Would second this as the best way to spend your last day waiting for an evening flight. Just remember to allow for traffic getting back to airport.