Dubrovnik Questions (new thread)

Going to be in Dubrovnik for a day this Spring. I've heard that credit card acceptance can be spotty there, so I'm planning on having cash for most things.

*I know the fee for touring the walls, as well as the cable car service, are fixed. So I've factored that in already.

**What I'm unsure of, though, is average costs for taxis or cafes. (esp. taxis) Really, I'm just trying to figure out how much cash to bring with me, but without carrying around some absurd amount of money.

Any tips? :):)

Thanks!

It is not necessary to carry around cash, just bring your bank debit card and use one of our many ATM machines for Croatian Kuna. Please do not waste money and try to buy Kuna in the USA, your bank fees are far too high. Do not bring Euros, our legal currency is Croatian Kuna. I have been using my American bank debit card here for the last 10 years. My bank charges a small $5 fee for foreign currency exchange on each transaction. If you are arriving by cruise ship, a taxi ride from the port to the old town can run about 200 to 250 Kuna. The old town, inside the city wall, is pedestrian only, no cars, taxis, bikes. Cafe food can vary the same as any other country. Fancy place costs more, a small snack from the bakery is 20 to 30 Kuna, depending on the ingredients. Most cafes (konabas) do accept credit cards, just ask first. How much do you need, only you can figure that. Where you pick for lunch, buying gifts such as fridge magnets or a designer tie...the cost will vary. It is the same here as other countries, fast food does not accept credit cards, most others do.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there an ATM at the cruise ship port? I want to do the "usual", of taking a taxi to the top of the cable, and taking the cable car down, then walking the walls. I'm in port, May 5 8-5pm I want to move efficiently and just get a taxi from the cruise port.

Also, is there any guide to the walls, or a self guided walking tour, for the city center/old town?

Yes there are ATM machines at the cruise port. Taxi fare could be between 200 to 300 Kuna to go to the top of Srd. There are all kinds of tours for the old town, many do include the wall. I, however, am forbidden by cruise critic to recommend any particular tour or guide since I am a local resident. You can find many recommendations by doing more research for Dubrovnik.

Hello. We are due in Dubrovnik in August from 8am until 11pm so a full day. Is it worth looking into the Dubrovnik card? We are 2 adults and 2 teens. On line it is 170,00 Kuna per person would that be the same for the teens? Trying to weigh up costs of taxi over bus and wall walks and the museum's.

Thanks.

Dear Dubrovnik travel lady:

I have been researching the cost for the walls. I have gotten the costs on websites to be 70, 100, and 150 kunas. Can you please let me know the true cost? I am leaning towards the Dubrovnik Card because we are here from 7 am to 11 pm.

Thank you.

Lisa

Thank you Dubrovniktravelady! We decided to book the 1 Day Dubrovnik Card. The cost was 171 kunas due to a 10% on line discount. I thought that if we did the Monastery and Rupe Museum, we would come out ahead! According to the email, we pick our tickets up at Pile Gate. I was wondering if you knew if I have a copy of the paid receipt, I could get the bus into town by just showing this paper to the bus driver? Also, I am looking to go to Cavat, I am looking at using Adriana Ferry. Is there any other ferry service or is this the only one? Can I just purchase the ferry ticket on that day, or do I have to reserve it beforehand? Lisa

Great that you want to visit our Rupe Museum, it is my very favorite. Make sure you take a photo from the stairway window of the roof tops. The Dubrovnik tourist bureau is located at the Pile Braslje area. Doubtful you can use a copy of your receipt for the bus trip, but it is only 15 Kuna so make sure you have money. Adriana is my choice since it normally makes a non stop trip, not always true but more often than not. I have never made any reservations, do not know if they do it. Just show up at the pier and board, tickets sold at the small stands just in front of the boat. Great way to reach Cavtat, hope the weather is good for your trip.

Thank you, my retirement home is perfect for me. Depending on how much time you have in port and date arriving, I would not opt to try to do Korcula. It is an island, meaning you will need to use the ferry. High winds, rough water any number of reasons you do not get off the island in time. You could easily do Ston and Orebic, it is on the mainland just across the sea from Korcula. Great wines and a small lovely village to enjoy.

I have been reading your posts with great pleasure as we prepare our brief - too brief - visit to Dubrovnik. Thank you for them. Best wishes in your retirement.

Thank you Venice2Rome, I do enjoy my very easy and simple life here. Croatia is not only my retirement home, but also my heritage. Both parents were born here and I have been visiting non stop since 1971. A very special country, for me. Do try to make a land trip here, so much to see and well worth the effort. Enjoy your limited time here.

We are arriving in mid-May - apparently one of two smaller cruise ships sechduled in port our day in Dubrovnik, thankfully. As so many, we have tightly scheduled time for our first visit. say 9 am to 3 pm. Please post foolproof local directions, as I tend to wander off course.

Our plan at the moment is to taxi from the port to the Pile Gate. Walk about half the wall from Pile Gate to Ploce Gate. Exit at Ploce Gate. Find cable car terminus - local, specific direx. needed here. Ride up to top of Mt. Srd, spend some time; then back down. Find our way to the Stradun promenade - again direx. needed; then wander back to the Pile Gate, there into a taxi back to the ship.

This seem manageable by 2 retirees in 6 hours? By what time should we be sure to arrive taxi stand for return to ship, as there could be some traffic and the like?

Don't figure to get lost on the wall or on the cable car, thankfully, but would appreciate specific directions otherwise. Greatly appreciate this forum.

Venice2Rome

We are arriving in mid-May - apparently one of two smaller cruise ships sechduled in port our day in Dubrovnik, thankfully. As so many, we have tightly scheduled time for our first visit. say 9 am to 3 pm. Please post foolproof local directions, as I tend to wander off course.

Our plan at the moment is to taxi from the port to the Pile Gate. Walk about half the wall from Pile Gate to Ploce Gate. Exit at Ploce Gate. Find cable car terminus - local, specific direx. needed here. Ride up to top of Mt. Srd, spend some time; then back down. Find our way to the Stradun promenade - again direx. needed; then wander back to the Pile Gate, there into a taxi back to the ship.

This seem manageable by 2 retirees in 6 hours? By what time should we be sure to arrive taxi stand for return to ship, as there could be some traffic and the like?

Don't figure to get lost on the wall or on the cable car, thankfully, but would appreciate specific directions otherwise. Greatly appreciate this forum.

Venice2Rome

Sorry a bit under the weather today. Perhaps this map will help you figure out the routes.

http://tzdubrovnik.hr/user_files/made/PLAN_2015_061.pdf

Taxis offer a tour for an hour (from memory) and they drop you off at the top of the hill. So you save the cablecar cost. So in effect you get the tour for free. We did this then got the cablecar down then walked the wall.

We were there, in Dubrovnik, a few days ago and did a tour by CruiserTaxiDubrovnik. That is a new agency that operates in a few cruise ports as Kotor, Split, Durres, ... Guides are locals with excellent knowledgeable and friendly. Hope you will find more info about them and use my tip and have a good time :)

Your arrival here is early into the season with only 3 ships arriving, mostly on the smaller side. That being said, doubt you will find a huge waiting line. Also please be aware, the cable car will close down with bad weather or high winds. From Pile area you can walk uphill on the road marked 'Iza Grada" until you reach the fire station. Take the road up to "Petra Kresimira" to the cable car entrance. It is all uphill from Pile Brsalje, you may want to consider a taxi from the port which will drop you at the entrance. Our tourist map may be of help.

http://tzdubrovnik.hr/user_files/made/PLAN_2015_061.pdf

Take a taxi directly to the cable car entrance first. Then return to the old town and walk the wall, or better just do the sea side and exit at Ploce. You can enjoy the old town from that entry point, visit a few of our historical sites. Do stop and have a coffee, tea and taste our Dalmation wine. Enjoy your day.