Dubrovnik Questions (new thread)

Unfortunately as a local resident cruise credit does not permit me to give you any specific suggestions for restaurants. You will find more than a few choices and I can tell you to stay off the main promenade and hit the side streets for a better choice and prices.

Many historical sites inside the city wall, ride the cable car up to the top of Mt Srd for the best view, nice stop to rest and enjoy a drink. Please try to find our Rupe Museum, it is filled with our cultural history and a nice cool building to visit during high heat of the day. A short boat trip, 15 minutes, to the island of Lokrum for a swim or just a walk around the island is always a treat. You also have time to take the 45 minute boat trip to Cavtat, a very special town. Consider using the boat down and return by bus, Libertas #10 ends the trip at the Gruz harbor where I assume your ship is docked. You can research your interests by visiting our tourist bureau website, filled with good data. Enjoy your time here, I certainly do every day.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/lang/en/

Will I need Kuna for the cable car or will credit cards be accepted? Thank You

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello, please excuse a total newcomer here.

We are beginning to plan short and somewhat easy sightseeing at Dubrovnik, while on a cruise.

My thoughts are to be able to walk the most scenic part of the wall, given some limited energy and stamina...

And just enjoy soaking in the old-city.

Can you experts give me a quick run-down, a 101, to start our planning?

This is what I am assuming:

1. Taxi, or shuttle, from Cruise port... Where should this drop us off? (will be on Holland America)

2. Get local currency at an ATM... At cruise port, or when arrive at old-town Dubrovnik?

3. Enter the wall... Possibly at PILE gate?

4. Would Minceta, to the North of PILE, be a most desirable viewpoint?

5. I feel like I want to walk the wall where it is overlooking the sea. So, assuming Minceta is a priority, what would be the best plan, for entry and exit from the top of the wall?

We would also love any tips on what to see and where to explore around the Stadum, or around the walled city. Points of interests, sights, Cafe's, etc.

Thanks!

If you need a drink with a lovely view, there is a small opening in the city wall which leads through to Buza Bar. It's a bar built on the rocks and you can sit and watch people jumping into the sea. Ask the locals and they will point you in the direction.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings. I am trying to figure something out. My dh has serious knee issues so I was thinking of skipping the walls. We have one day on the constellation in early October. Could we take a ferry to and from cavtav. Have a nice few hours there and then see some of Dubrovnik nice old town without the walls and then return to the cruise. I appreciate any and all assistance.

Greetings. I am trying to figure something out. My dh has serious knee issues so I was thinking of skipping the walls. We have one day on the constellation in early October. Could we take a ferry to and from cavtav. Have a nice few hours there and then see some of Dubrovnik nice old town without the walls and then return to the cruise. I appreciate any and all assistance.

Yes, you can take the ferry to Cavtat from the old town harbour. If your ship is docked in the port you’d need to take either take a taxi from the post to the old town. Ask them to take you to the Ploce Gate, that is nearest to the harbour. Alternatively you can get a public bus to the Pile gate, then walk down the Main Street to the harbour.

If your ship is anchored in the bay, you will be probably be tendered into the old town harbour.

Once in the harbour look for the little kiosks that sell ferry tickets. When you get back you can wander around the old town very easily.

We did this in July and thought Cavtat was lovely, here’s a photo of it.

Sent from my iPad using Forumsa9bce3ee9be7e4cb561e5a9b7013b35b.jpg

• Like 1

You may want to take the water boat to Cavtat and return by bus. The bus will drop you at the Gruz harbor, where your ship will be docked. The water boats are still running, but if weather is bad or high winds are blowing, they do not run. October should be stunning, we are expecting Indian summer. By the way, cruise critic made a change to my name and I changed it to something you may recognize. I used to live in Dubrovnik, now I am in Cavtat.

Greetings! My familyand I are arriving 10/29 on the Star (1pm-9pm). I am torn between booking the panoramic tour through NCL or hiring ataxi to take my family and I to see the highlights before we do the wall touron our own. If anyone can recommend a good outside tour company, I would reallyappreciate that or if you have done it on your own any advice is welcomed. I would like to see and take photos from/of Franjo Tudman Bridge, Lapad Peninsula,Elaphite islands, Srdj Hill and eventually end in Old Town to do the wall- timeis probably not going to be on my side being that it will get dark around5:30pm.

If any locals can give me an assist, I would begrateful.

• 1 month later...

There has been a lot of great info here, so I want to be sure I have it all.  If I want to take a taxi to the top of Mt Srg and take the cable car down.   Is there a specific spot from there we go to start the wall walk?   Any direction better than the other?   Where do we catch the bus/shuttle back to the NcL port?

We’re there from 7-5.    

Thanks

• Like 1

Yes you can take the cable car one way down from Mt Srd (surge).  If you intend to walk the entire circuit, the Ploce entrance is closest to cable car station.  However it is the point where you will begin the upward walk to the highest point Minceta Tower.  Just past the tower is the Pile entrance just across from the Onofrio fountain.  The next part is the beginning of the seaside, a bit easier to walk.  Keep in mind there are a grand total of 1,080 steps on the entire wall.  Make sure you have good walking shoes, I suggest radial tires on the bottoms.  The views are spectacular, enjoy.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cavtatlady said:

Yes you can take the cable car one way down from Mt Srd (surge).  If you intend to walk the entire circuit, the Ploce entrance is closest to cable car station.  However it is the point where you will begin the upward walk to the highest point Minceta Tower.  Just past the tower is the Pile entrance just across from the Onofrio fountain.  The next part is the beginning of the seaside, a bit easier to walk.  Keep in mind there are a grand total of 1,080 steps on the entire wall.  Make sure you have good walking shoes, I suggest radial tires on the bottoms.  The views are spectacular, enjoy.  

Where do you get to the seaside part?  Is it a gate or is there a sign?

You can walk the entire wall in one step.You don`t have to choose one part.You can walk the complete way(which is in total approx. 1,2 miles long).But the whole wall is a one way circuit.You are only allowed to walk in one direction.

Most shuttle buses of the cruise lines stop at the Pile gate.

So you can either walk from the cable car station outside the walls to the ploce gate(approx. 1500 feet to walk),begin your walk on the wall from there and after half of the circuit get to the shuttle bus at pile gate.

Or you walk from the cable car station,pass the ploce gate and walk through the old town to the pile gate(total approx. 2500 feet to walk) and start your walk on the walls from there and do the complete circuit.

Or you walk up to pile gate,start the circuit from there and after half the circuit you leave tha wall at ploce gate and walk across the city back to pile gate.

I would sugget to walk at least half the circuit from ploce gate to pile gate.Although this is the part with most of the stairs it is also the part which offers the best views over the town.

Edited by CruiseMH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

You can walk the entire wall in one step.You don`t have to choose one part.You can walk the complete way(which is in total approx. 1,2 miles long).But the whole wall is a one way circuit.You are only allowed to walk in one direction.

Most shuttle buses of the cruise lines stop at the Pile gate.

So you can either walk from the cable car station outside the walls to the ploce gate(approx. 1500 feet to walk),begin your walk on the wall from there and after half of the circuit get to the shuttle bus at pile gate.

Or you walk from the cable car station,pass the ploce gate and walk through the old town to the pile gate(total approx. 2500 feet to walk) and start your walk on the walls from there and do the complete circuit.

Or you walk up to pile gate,start the circuit from there and after half the circuit you leave tha wall at ploce gate and walk across the city back to pile gate.

I would sugget to walk at least half the circuit from ploce gate to pile gate.Although this is the part with most of the stairs it is also the part which offers the best views over the town.

Ok thanks!   Since we have 10 hours in town, I was thinking of going kayaking too.  Which do you think would make the sense:

Kayak first from  9-12, then grabbing cab to Mt Srg, cable car back down to Ploce gate and walk to Pile gate.  That's the non-sea side right? 

Or would it be better to go bus to Pile gate, walk to Ploce, cable car up to Mt Srg, then cab to kayak location. Kayak then back to ship.

Is this doable?   I'm not sure how much time to allot for the cable car and walk.

From ploce to pile is the non-sea side,correct.

It is difficult to predict the needed time for the wall.It depends on weather(hot and humid or bearable),your fitness and how much time you want to take(maybe to relax,take pictures or just savor the views).

For the whole circuit on the wall i would plan 1 to 1,5 hours.So from ploce to pile on the wall i`d say approx. 40 minutes to 1 hour.

I don`t know how busy the cable car ride is during the day cause i haven`t used it during my two visits but i made the experience that the earlier you are on the wall the emptier it is.The later it gets the fuller it gets.And as the path on the wall is very often quite narrow it can get complicated when different people do walk with different speed and so congestions are likely.

So i`d rather do the wall in the morning and later the cable car thing.Wether you do the complete circuit on the wall or only half of it depends on you.

But the walking distance through the old town from ploce gate to pile gate is only 1000 feet or so.

So the way through the old town is much faster than along the wall.

I personally would do the complete circuit cause you do have enough time and the views on the complete circuit are amazing.I don`t think there any sort of better part.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

From ploce to pile is the non-sea side,correct.

It is difficult to predict the needed time for the wall.It depends on weather(hot and humid or bearable),your fitness and how much time you want to take(maybe to relax,take pictures or just savor the views).

For the whole circuit on the wall i would plan 1 to 1,5 hours.So from ploce to pile on the wall i`d say approx. 40 minutes to 1 hour.

I don`t know how busy the cable car ride is during the day cause i haven`t used it during my two visits but i made the experience that the earlier you are on the wall the emptier it is.The later it gets the fuller it gets.And as the path on the wall is very often quite narrow it can get complicated when different people do walk with different speed and so congestions are likely.

So i`d rather do the wall in the morning and later the cable car thing.Wether you do the complete circuit on the wall or only half of it depends on you.

But the walking distance through the old town from ploce gate to pile gate is only 1000 feet or so.

So the way through the old town is much faster than along the wall.

I personally would do the complete circuit cause you do have enough time and the views on the complete circuit are amazing.I don`t think there any sort of better part.

Thank you so much!!!

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:29 AM, Cavtatlady said:

You may want to take the water boat to Cavtat and return by bus. The bus will drop you at the Gruz harbor, where your ship will be docked. The water boats are still running, but if weather is bad or high winds are blowing, they do not run. October should be stunning, we are expecting Indian summer. By the way, cruise critic made a change to my name and I changed it to something you may recognize. I used to live in Dubrovnik, now I am in Cavtat.

How long is the water boat ride to Cavtat and how often does it run...we will be in Dubrovnik on May 28, 2019....we have been there before and would like to see something different. Cavtat sounds lovely....also if we were to return by bus, long long does it take to Old Town.

Thanks in advance.

14 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

This is the ferry website. Times shown are from Cavtat to Dubrovnik, because that is usually the way most tourists go. Obviously the ferries go both ways. 

http://www.adriana-cavtat.com/regular-boat-service

Thanks for posting this link Host Grandma. We have been to Dubrovnik a few times and was thinking to take the ferry to Cavtat when we visit in July, 2019. I was also interested in the excursions the website lists. Have you or anyone you know visited the island Supetar? We are in port from 8am-7pm so would have time to visit.

Julie

Edited by frantic36