Puzzled by Sushi on 5 pricing

conquesodor

I think the name of the restaurant is ill chosen and might put some people off unnecessarily as they serve so much more than just sushi!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Totally agree with this and we said the same thing when we were dining there on Reflection this week. My husband belongs on the 'I don't like sushi' camp but thought it was one of the best meals we've had on here. They have so much more on offer than just sushi. And for those on the dinner package you can basically order whatever food you want and it's included - with the exception of the tableside wasabi

Edited by Bobal

Totally agree with this and we said the same thing when we were dining there on Reflection this week. My husband belongs on the 'I don't like sushi' camp but thought it was one of the best meals we've had on here. They have so much more on offer than just sushi. And for those on the dinner package you can basically order whatever food you want and it's included - with the exception of the tableside wasabi

IMO, this just proves the point that thinking people who don't like sushi won't be deterred by the name.

I ate in Sushi on 5 as part of the $149 Specialty Dining Package and very much enjoyed it and I'm not a sushi lover. Other things apart from fish. Although it's a la carte pricing, as part of the package you can order what you want within reason. How prohibitive it is cost wise depends upon the individual. For me I'm very glad I went there.

Celebrity are firmly in the revenue generation mind set and it shows all over the ship. We did a Mediterranean chef menu in Lawn Club for $70 ($89 without a package). To me it was nice, but totally not worth the money. It was touted as hosted by senior officers. They met us on the grass for a short while, but as it was very windy out of Bodrum we were led inside quite quickly. No sign of our "hosts". They upped and left us. None sitting at any tables. The wine was white or red, no choice. Service very hurried.

And yet I frequently read comments on here that go something like this: "Did they replace 'Bistro on 5' with 'Sushi on 5' on [insert name of ship]? They did?! Well, I'm not eating there - I don't like sushi."

c - true dat....

IMO, this just proves the point that thinking people who don't like sushi won't be deterred by the name.

Thinking people? Really. Why do you have to be so rude?

Almost all our Sushi places locally pretty much only serve sushi. Very little else on the menu. I can easily see why some don't initially think they serve mostly sushi. it isn't a stretch.

I find the interpretations here very surprising. My initial impression was that So5 was intended to work in conjunction with the drinks packages by offering the cocktails as a lure - get people in on the packages to try the cocktails and while they're their up-sell a plate of beef tataki or a pork ramen bowl or a a spicy tuna roll. And to be fair, this is a lure that will absolutely work on me. My wife and I were looking forward to using So5 as a place for an afternoon drink and snack rather than going for a full meal. I think if Celebrity were to deliberately take this approach they'd get more involvement and less resistance.

Both times we ate there on the Reflection a couple weeks ago, our bill was not over 50.00. We always had an appetizer and 3 or 4 rolls. The second time we ate there on the cruise, they took 20% off our bill for returning. Excellent service and the best sushi I have ever had at sea. I dont mind the charge at all.

Drink package covered drinks up the price of your respective package.

Almost all our Sushi places locally pretty much only serve sushi. Very little else on the menu. I can easily see why some don't initially think they serve mostly sushi. it isn't a stretch.

A Google search of Fort Myers sushi places suggest otherwise. 10Best.com and Yelp both have top 10 lists and all of the restaurants in both lists (not identical) serve far more than sushi. I looked at several others not on either list and they too had a greater selection than just sushi. You might want to try some different sushi restaurants if the ones you frequent have such limited menus.

The prices at Sushi on 5 are prohibitive. There is no way we're going to plunk down that kind of money for sushi even if it's supposed to be better quality.

IMO all of the Celebrity restaurants are way too expensive, especially considering I already paid for my meal in Opus or Luminae.

The So5 rolls for $9 to $11 are double size so 3 are plenty for 2 people = $30 total. I didn't think the Nigiri was a good value, the slices are too thin and short. The $13 Lobster Ramen alone is a fine lunch, the broth is lobster bisque without the cream and you get a full tail. The Kobe slider is excellent for $8 and could be a lunch.

Under the UDP it's all you can eat. All but one of the made in Japan beers are under $13 limit plus they have Saporo.

I like eating at So5 and I think I like the pricing that allows me to eat a few things for under $20 pp. If they make it "All You Can Eat" the price will jump to $30 to $40 and then I'll need to eat a lot more to get my money's worth which leaves me feeling too stuffed.

Edited by floatplan

On our recent Millennium cruise we were offered 30% off at Sushi on 5. I love sushi, but DH isn't keen. We didn't take up the offer because we were heading to Japan and expected to have plenty of sushi there. The a la carte pricing deters me, since I have no way of knowing how much the meal will cost. We never saw many people in that restaurant, but Bistro on 5 never seemed to be busy either.

Sheila

I'd like to know that the drink package covers the Sakes.

I admitadley haveb't read the entire post, but I can find out next time I go.

Does anyone know how the UDP works with Sushi on 5?

It is covered for upper suites, not sure about the pay for package.

We were told they are and will be offering packages with unlimited sushi or parts of the menu.

Our meal was excellent, we'll definitely go back, though probably not as often if we were "paying".

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I'm looking forward to trying it when we are on the Eclipse in January. I hope that there is enough non-sushi dishes to satisfy my non-fish eating wife.

Does anyone know if it is open for lunch on embarkation day?

We tried it once. It isn't very good. Average sushi, no Miso soup. The fish isn't sushi grade. Zero vibe.

Needless to say we won't be back. Nobu on Crystal cruise it isn't.

Yes, but Celebrity doesn't compete with Crystal. Mass market versus luxury. It was empty in there when we went, but after the noise around the ship in general it was a nice change.

We tried it once. It isn't very good. Average sushi, no Miso soup. The fish isn't sushi grade. Zero vibe.

Needless to say we won't be back. Nobu on Crystal cruise it isn't.

Sushi grade is a marketing term, not an objective standard such as prime/choice/select/standard/commercial/utility/cutter/canner with US beef.

Yes, but Celebrity doesn't compete with Crystal. Mass market versus luxury. It was empty in there when we went, but after the noise around the ship in general it was a nice change.

And at the opposite end of the scale, on NCL we had difficulty getting a reservation for their Japanese restaurant.

It was great fun - chefs throwing knives etc. Downmarket popular Japanese a la Benihana - but they were full every night.

Frankly, the elderly crowd on board the Eclipse didn't find So5 appealing - nor did they find the Asian, Indian, Goan, Mexican etc. appealing in the buffet. Many plates contained chips (french fries) and salad or sandwich!! Long lines when fish'n'chips occasionally occurred on the Asian counter!! Used to be on every day - self-indulgent chefs have decided that we should eat what they like to create.

Now that we have Brexit, wot ahbaht a British section when the ship is out of the UK? Sounds logical to moi. Fish'n'chips, pies, bangers'n'mash, chicken piri piri (well, perhaps not:D).)....................rant over!!!

Edited by BMT