Laundry options?

Swelldame

How does sending out regular laundry (not dry cleaning) work? Is it a charge per item, bag, day, cruise? I'm thinking this might be the best way to use up that shipboard credit and spend less time running up and down looking for a free washer on sea days :D

There are good launderettes on-board but if you wish to send items to the laundry you can opt for either:

Pressing

Laundry & pressing

Dry cleaning & pressing

Sample charges for laundry & pressing:

Polo shirt: $4.95

Men's dress shirt: $5.95

Ladies blouse: $7.95

Jeans: $3.95

I have never seen any 'specials' on laundry but Gold SS Society members get one bag of laundry per suite per week at no charge; Platinum members get unlimited laundry at no charge

The laundry does a very good job

flossie: I've always wondered about how having laundry done by Regent works. Mainly, when I do laundry myself, I virtually always take items out of the dryer when they're slightly damp to be sure there's no shrinkage. I assume that Regent doesn't take that kind of care? I've wanted to give the laundry to Regent (especially now that they've introduced the "free" bag of laundry perk), but I've been afraid that my jeans, etc. might come back shrunken to some degree. No?

I always send stuff to ships laundry. We also have the one included bag being gold, but I also send extra clothes too. I always ask for cool wash, a couple of tops may have looked a little faded, but shirts are very well laundered and ironed and that's the things that for me are the ideal things that save me time when we get home. Quick turn around and deliver in zip laundry bags of folded into a box at your own preferences.

poss, since we are Platinum Seven Seas Society members, we get included laundry. We have not have a problem with shrinking, however, on our last cruise, my DH's custom made shirts faded at least 1 color (the same thing that happened on Oceania - this is most disturbing!!!!!!!!). When you fill out the form you can indicate if you want an item washed in cold water or ???

In terms of the "new" benefit for Gold members, I am not impressed. The bags have shrunk by 50%.

In terms of finding washing machines available, it is best to find times when people are either onboard or at lunch or dinner. Prior to having included laundry, I occasionally did a load or two. It is important to know that, if you do not take your clothes out of the washer or dryer right on time, someone will remove them for you (not a good idea as items can be lost). The best idea that I've read on CC is taking a glass of champagne (or other drink) and have it while waiting for your laundry to be finished.

P.S. I have never seen "zip" laundry bags as described above. The small bags have a tie handle.

Edited by Travelcat2

So they don't do laundry by the bag if you're less than "gold" status, and as Flossie implies, it's a per-item charge? That'll add up quick; back to the laundry room at least for the tighty-whities, granny-pants, bloomers, knickers and boulder-holders! ;)

flossie: I've always wondered about how having laundry done by Regent works. Mainly, when I do laundry myself, I virtually always take items out of the dryer when they're slightly damp to be sure there's no shrinkage. I assume that Regent doesn't take that kind of care? I've wanted to give the laundry to Regent (especially now that they've introduced the "free" bag of laundry perk), but I've been afraid that my jeans, etc. might come back shrunken to some degree. No?

So they don't do laundry by the bag if you're less than "gold" status, and as Flossie implies, it's a per-item charge? That'll add up quick; back to the laundry room at least for the tighty-whities, granny-pants, bloomers, knickers and boulder-holders! ;)

We have never had a problem with any items sent to the laundry and you can always add specific instructions if you are worried

Also if you are concerned about laundry methods or cost, there is always the halfway-house option i.e. do the laundering yourself and then send shirts, jeans etc down to the laundry for pressing

In terms of the "new" benefit for Gold members, I am not impressed. The bags have shrunk by 50%

P.S. I have never seen "zip" laundry bags as described above. The small bags have a tie handle.

We are on Mariner now and the laundry bags appear to be the same (large) size as on previous cruises

The finished laundry and pressing is returned in zipped clothes covers (for hanging items) or wrapped in tissue paper and in a box for folded items; all very professionally done

Also if you are concerned about laundry methods or cost, there is always the halfway-house option i.e. do the laundering yourself and then send shirts, jeans etc down to the laundry for pressing

What's the routine then for sending out laundry? Do you fill out a list item by item, or do you fill a bag and pay one fee?

Many thanks.

Swelldame, You fill out a form enumerating each item and total it up. I will always love you for a term I have never heard before "boulder-holders"

Huzzah!!!!!!!

I was using the short name. Formally, it's: Over-the-shoulder-boulder-holder". :D

We are on Mariner now and the laundry bags appear to be the same (large) size as on previous cruises

The finished laundry and pressing is returned in zipped clothes covers (for hanging items) or wrapped in tissue paper and in a box for folded items; all very professionally done

As you know, we are on the Explorer at the moment. The first thing I ask for is laundry bags. The first one was half of the "normal" size. The second one was the larger one. If Regent is changing bag sizes, the Explorer would probably be the first recipient. As time goes by I'll report on the rest of the bags and see if the small bag was an anomaly or the look of the future.

ronrick1943 - no, Regent does not have the special where you can put all of the laundry that you want in a bag. What Regent does have is free washers and dryers (unlike Oceania). And, there are laundry rooms all over the ship.

Never had to request laundry bags. There have always been 2 supplied in the wardrobe and when I have sent a bag off to the laundry it is replaced same day.

As we send out a bag every other day, I have noticed many times that the bags aren't resupplied as they should (slips too). Just one mention and the problem is fixed. It is sure great going home with clean clothes all folded in tissue paper.

Marc

As we send out a bag every other day, I have noticed many times that the bags aren't resupplied as they should (slips too). Just one mention and the problem is fixed. It is sure great going home with clean clothes all folded in tissue paper.

Marc

This has been our experience as well!

As you know, we are on the Explorer at the moment. The first thing I ask for is laundry bags. The first one was half of the "normal" size. The second one was the larger one. If Regent is changing bag sizes, the Explorer would probably be the first recipient. As time goes by I'll report on the rest of the bags and see if the small bag was an anomaly or the look of the future.

Being a sad pair, we measured the laundry bags supplied on Mariner - 25ins X 18ins. From memory they are the same size on Voyager. Are they smaller on Explorer?

Being a sad pair, we measured the laundry bags supplied on Mariner - 25ins X 18ins. From memory they are the same size on Voyager. Are they smaller on Explorer?

While I have nothing to measure the bags, I have taken a photo and sent it to a friend to post. You will be able to visually see the difference.

I'm trying to see if I can manage to post it myself. Fingers crossed.

IMG_20161107_0629086_rewind_zpsxw93kmlq.jpg

Edited by Travelcat2

While I have nothing to measure the bags, I have taken a photo and sent it to a friend to post. You will be able to visually see the difference.

I'm trying to see if I can manage to post it myself. Fingers crossed.

You must be as sad as us taking photos of laundry bags.;):)

They do look different to the ones on Mariner which had a drawstring and toggle.

Even the large bag looks smaller than we have had on Mariner and Voyager.

Glad we are entitled to free laundry.

You must be as sad as us taking photos of laundry bags.;):)

They do look different to the ones on Mariner which had a drawstring and toggle.

Even the large bag looks smaller than we have had on Mariner and Voyager.

Glad we are entitled to free laundry.

I was laughing when I took the photo and happy that I was able to actually post it. Agree that we are very fortunate to be entitled to free laundry - even if the bags are smaller:)