Really?

DAllenTCY

HAL now has sails from San Diego at 4 pm. So, does it make any sense to book flights that arrive at 2 pm? Winter weather can cause flight delays. Luggage delivery to the carousels at the airport can take 20-30 minutes.

San Diego Airport Terminal 2 is under construction for a 3 story parking garage so traffic is impacted daily until mid-2017.

Please take note......4 pm departure.....not 5 pm any more.

David

HAL now has sails from San Diego at 4 pm. So, does it make any sense to book flights that arrive at 2 pm? Winter weather can cause flight delays. Luggage delivery to the carousels at the airport can take 20-30 minutes.

San Diego Airport Terminal 2 is under construction for a 3 story parking garage so traffic is impacted daily until mid-2017.

David

Sounds like you had someone else (like Cruise Air or an agency) book your flights. I'd sure change it to something much earlier if you cannot arrive the day before. Even if you have to pay a change fee, I'd do it!!

The "really?" for me is that anybody would fly into a departure port city 2-3 hours before sailing. While we always fly in the day before a cruise I do understand there are passengers who have other considerations and limitations but 2-3 hours? I'd be a nervous wreck. :)

You should never chance flying in the same day you cruise, especially cutting it by only 2-3 hours.

The "really?" for me is that anybody would fly into a departure port city 2-3 hours before sailing. While we always fly in the day before a cruise I do understand there are passengers who have other considerations and limitations but 2-3 hours? I'd be a nervous wreck. :)

Excellent points!!!

So agree.

OP actually our sailing is at 4 pm too out of FLL. One does need to check.

We are booked for three days early to fly in. We are concerned about snow storms (end of March) and if ll goes well, we will certainly enjoy the time in FLL.

Wherever we go, we allow time for the pre-port city to enjoy and not be worried about delays.

So agree.

OP actually our sailing is at 4 pm too out of FLL. One does need to check.

We are booked for three days early to fly in. We are concerned about snow storms (end of March) and if ll goes well, we will certainly enjoy the time in FLL.

Wherever we go, we allow time for the pre-port city to enjoy and not be worried about delays.

(bold is mine) We feel the same way. We don't have the time constraints that some people may have, so we take advantage of the extra time to avoid the stress of arriving in the port city on embarkation day.

OP, did HAL put you on a flight that arrives at 2 PM? Or your TA?

David

I would NEVER fly in to arrive two hours before sailing time - too many things can go wrong.

That said, we fly at least two or three days prior to our cruise departure. The latest I would consider flying is one day prior.

If you insist (no matter what reason) on traveling in on departure day, at least get an am arrival. There's just too many things that can go wrong. Even if everything goes smooth, you'll be stressing until you are on deck. Now that's not how you want to start your holiday, is it?

As this was brought up. We leave in March at 4pm with the Westerdam from San Diego too and booked a flight at 6:45 from San Francisco. It is the first time we will fly in on the same day but due to the short flight we thought it will be fine. Any concerns on this travel plan by someone from that area? Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As this was brought up. We leave in March at 4pm with the Westerdam from San Diego too and booked a flight at 6:45 from San Francisco. It is the first time we will fly in on the same day but due to the short flight we thought it will be fine. Any concerns on this travel plan by someone from that area? Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Several years ago we booked a weekend get away from Albuquerque, NM to San Diego. Due to arrive in San Diego at 10:00am....No problem until about an hour out of San Diego when the pilot came on the PA and announced San Diego was fogged in and we were going to circle for a bit in hopes the fog would clear.....Long story short, we ended up being diverted to San Francisco. We were finally able to reboard and flew into San Diego about 3:00pm.

It is never a smart thing to fly in the same day, even if it is a short flight there. Never can tell with the weather and or other problems.

Another example is last week with Ft Lauderdale. Fed Ex plane burned on the tarmac and closed one of the only 2 runways. Needless to say, that closure caused not only major delays but also diversions of aircraft. How many passengers were missing from cruise ships last week.....

Joanie

If you insist (no matter what reason) on traveling in on departure day, at least get an am arrival. There's just too many things that can go wrong. Even if everything goes smooth, you'll be stressing until you are on deck. Now that's not how you want to start your holiday, is it?

So true plus the possibility of delayed luggage - or lost luggage that shows up the next day!

Absurd concept: a ship which sails at 4:00 PM stops boarding at least 30 minutes before - more likely a 3:00 PM cut-off for boarding. Allowing perhaps 30 minutes to claim luggage, 5 minutes to get taxi, 10 minutes to get to pier - leaves 15 minutes extra time to waste just hanging around.

Why not talk about a flight arriving at 2:15, as long as you want to cut corners?

Our next cruise (Nov. 25) we are flying in same day, the first time we have done this since the first time we started with Hal. Hope we haven't made a mistake in doing so. We flying into TPA.

Wow! I wouldn't do this in winter for sure. Well, I guess Nov technically not winter yet, but snow storms up north where you are would certainly not be unusual and resulting flight delays. Is it a direct flight leaving VERY early? Then you might be ok. TPA is easy and port only 10-15 minutes from airport.

We used to live in Denver and always flew one or two days early into departure ports because of weather concerns. Once missed a $250 PP Elton John concert in LV because scheduled to leave in am and airport closed! Couldn't get out until next day so lost $500 in concert ticket cost. And it was his last concert in LV. Am still depressed about that 10 years later! But did FINALLY get to see him this year. Too long of a wait.

Jane

San Diego is a terrific place to spend the night before a cruise (or two) -- Disclaimer -- we do live here.

We don't even drive to LA the day of a cruise, though it's only 2 1/2 hours for us. It's comforting to wake up the day of the cruise and see your ship coming into the harbor.

Our airport was just named the 3rd best in the country --- I was surprised. We're hoping for more San Diego cruises --- we're looking forward to the Westerdam in January :)

San Diego is a terrific place to spend the night before a cruise (or two) -- Disclaimer -- we do live here.

We don't even drive to LA the day of a cruise, though it's only 2 1/2 hours for us. It's comforting to wake up the day of the cruise and see your ship coming into the harbor.

Our airport was just named the 3rd best in the country --- I was surprised. We're hoping for more San Diego cruises --- we're looking forward to the Westerdam in January :)

(bold is mine) I'm envious! In a recent poll, mine (EWR) was named the 3rd worst behind its two NY neighbors.