Elevator (Lift) Etiquette

yuvraj

How come no one has mentioned those that jump on a down elevator in order to ride it up. .

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

John , you know I must agree to disagree with you.

After having 3 or 4 full to capacity of elevators going up, I have jumped on an nearly empty elevator going down to eventually go up. So I guess I am bad again. Yes, happens once a cruise, after muster.

Edited by troykahack

We have seen many people that appear healthy and will take an elevator just for one floor (and they are going down).

It bears repeating that many disabilities are not visible.

For example, I have very severe osteoarthritis in my knees. One of the most painful things for me is walking down stairs.

I think it's good not to be too judgmental about people based on their appearance.

My biggest of big pet peeves are the people on scooters that try to ram their way in even when the elevator was full 4 people ago. Seriously they can see theres no room and once they are in motion theres no getting out of their way.

Better yet, scooter wars. Two scooters racing for the door at the same time. Once I was actually holding the door after stepping off and two tried to charge in at once. There may have been some snarling going on. :eek:

We have seen many people that appear healthy and will take an elevator just for one floor (and they are going down).

Please! One more time.....just because a person looks healthy to you does not mean that person can take the stairs even if it is going DOWN a staircase. There are many chronic health conditions that make ANY stairs difficult for a person. Elevators are there for a reason and every passenger has a right to use them any time they want and for just one floor if they want. Please do not be so quick to judge another human being because you just might find yourself in their situation some day.

It would appear obvious you have now reached the personal saturation point on bad manners and anti- social behaviour, experienced on RCL and the like. :eek

I realize "RCCL and the like" are "mass market lines," but people can still observe common courtesy. You should be able to cruise a mass market line and not expect people to behave like animals.

I may have done a poor job with the quote function. If so, sorry.

Edited by legaljen1969
Did a poor job with the "quote" function.

Wow! We typically take the stairs - even for 3 or 4 floors. It's just typically faster and we don't like waiting much. That said - no one should be judging anyone on using elevators. If someone chooses to use it - healthy or otherwise - that is their business and right. Judging others is as bad or worse then trying to close the door faster.

We usually do as well, but have 6 decks between our stateroom and dining for this cruise, so I'm not sure I can handle that every day at dinner time.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding something, but it seems that the OP's main gripe was with people pushing the close button immediately so that others cannot get on the elevator with them. When there are only a couple of people on the elevator, and there is a lobby full of folks waiting, I can see why someone would think it was rude to have someone push the close button just to have the elevator by themselves.

I didn't really see that they post was about people who appear to be able to bodied should be taking the stairs. It appeared to me, to be directed at folks who may appear able bodied and just don't care about their manners.

I get that people have hidden disabilities, but a lot of the little elevator monsters (particularly those who press close buttons and extra buttons to avoid elevator stops) are children whose only "disability" is that they left their brains and manners ashore when they boarded the ship. I have not seen so many adults pressing buttons and closing the doors when people are waiting, but I see it multiple times a day with kids running around the ship.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding something, but it seems that the OP's main gripe was with people pushing the close button immediately so that others cannot get on the elevator with them. When there are only a couple of people on the elevator, and there is a lobby full of folks waiting, I can see why someone would think it was rude to have someone push the close button just to have the elevator by themselves.

I didn't really see that they post was about people who appear to be able to bodied should be taking the stairs. It appeared to me, to be directed at folks who may appear able bodied and just don't care about their manners.

I get that people have hidden disabilities, but a lot of the little elevator monsters (particularly those who press close buttons and extra buttons to avoid elevator stops) are children whose only "disability" is that they left their brains and manners ashore when they boarded the ship. I have not seen so many adults pressing buttons and closing the doors when people are waiting, but I see it multiple times a day with kids running around the ship.

Those "elevator monsters" as you call them, are typically the evil spawn of adults who have just as deplorable manners.

I have met some lovely children on elevators who will hold the door for others and push a deck number for someone who can't reach them. I have also met older children with younger children who make them get off at the deck number they have pressed since Dad told them, you press it, you walk from there.

Judge much?

Please let not be so quick to judge the 1 deck riders. Just because they are standing and moving doesn't mean climbing or descending stairs are easy for all individuals. Some have bad knees ( DH ), others have other situations so climbing stairs can be difficult. If I am out alone I will use the stairs but with my husband, he prefers to use an elevator even one deck. Now he could do it if needed but his right knee is beginning to cause him pain. Probably from his para trooper days.

I totally agree with you regarding people jumping into elevators before everyone has gotten off or not moving aside to let others off that is rude.

I had a situation whereby a man in a wheelchair & his wife were going to a floor after me. it would have meant she had to take her husband off to allow me out, I told them to go ahead to their floor and I would ride back down, no problem for me I wasn't in a hurry. Being considerate of others is very important.

Super kind thing to do! :)

My biggest of big pet peeves are the people on scooters that try to ram their way in even when the elevator was full 4 people ago. Seriously they can see theres no room and once they are in motion theres no getting out of their way.

That happened to me once. I finally said out loud: "OK...that is enough, let

me out, I will take the stairs".

As someone who has to use a scooter when I travel, I have to ask "are we invisible?" I try to wait a polite distance from the elevator, and allow those who are getting off to do so. Meanwhile, 10 other rude people who arrived AFTER I did will jump on the elevator ahead of me. How long exactly is someone on a scooter supposed to wait - until everyone else who wants to use the elevator is done? Sometimes I don't blame people for ramming their way on - when all of the people who are already on have just jumped in front of them. Also, a lot of people on ships are using scooters that are not their personal property. Driving them takes some getting used to. Would it kill people to move to the side so they can pull straight in? Or to hold the door open before it closes on them?

As someone who has to use a scooter when I travel, I have to ask "are we invisible?" I try to wait a polite distance from the elevator, and allow those who are getting off to do so. Meanwhile, 10 other rude people who arrived AFTER I did will jump on the elevator ahead of me. How long exactly is someone on a scooter supposed to wait - until everyone else who wants to use the elevator is done? Sometimes I don't blame people for ramming their way on - when all of the people who are already on have just jumped in front of them. Also, a lot of people on ships are using scooters that are not their personal property. Driving them takes some getting used to. Would it kill people to move to the side so they can pull straight in? Or to hold the door open before it closes on them?

If you were waiting I would gladly give up my spot onboard for you. Have done so and for ladies too.

I have always hated the elevator etiquette on cruise ships. It's like shopping at walmart on Black Friday... I remember the one time an older gentleman couldn't get on because the elevator was full. He rudely yelled out that if the fat girl wasn't in the back of the elevator than more people could get on.... who does that??!! The girl he was talking about was me. And for the rest of the cruise I made it my point to accidentally bump into him and spill my drink.. some people are just disgusting and rude

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

if there is no one waiting to pounce/enter, darn skippy I will press the door close button to move things along. especially if there are numerous floors lit but only a couple of people on the elevator wanting off.

and I am sick and tired of all these self proclaimed Holier than thou people who can tell just by one brief glance just how fit you are. my husband joins me on the elevator because he wishes to spend time with me and yes, aid me if necessary. he is not being disrespectful because he can traverse the stairs faster than the elevator takes to get to the floor we desire.

I don't give a damn if the guy next to me in the elevator is a marathon runner. he is just as entitled to ride it as anyone else.

Agree

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Forums mobile app

Throw in choppy waters while the ship is in motion, and the stairs can be downright dangerous for some people. I will opt for the elevator over the stairs if the ship is moving too much for my liking. I don't need to tumble down the stairs and ruin my vacation.

Eileen

The OP did add a remark about fit people being the ones that did it. Then it evolved into you can't tell who's fit and who's not, plus a few other things.

No pepper grinding comments though.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

No one is spraying the "close door" button with Lysol either.

Who cares why anybody rides the elevator. It doesn't matter and it's nobody's business. If you see a <obviously> handicap person wanting on, move over and make it possible for them to get on. It's the right thing to do.But there comes a point when the elevator has reached capacity. Usually indicated when the door keeps guillotine-ing someone's butt. My pet peeve is when people keep holding the door open when there is no longer room for another person, resulting in the CRAM. I mean...it's an ELEVATOR..not the last helicopter out of Vietnam. Another one will come!

I began cruising in the 80's and when it comes to elevator etiquette the one thing that has remained consistent has not been someone pressing the door close button; it has been & has always been people entering an elevator without taking a split second of their time to see if someone is trying to exit...

Let me out!! Don't run me over!!

The door closed button. Give me a break. Sheesh....

:(

I had a guy do that to me once on a ship's elevator -- just about squished me!! :eek: Not a word of apology, either.